Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
This topic harkens back to my first reading of HTL's comments. I find them to be very offensive. My solution was to ignore him.

I agree with Eddie's evaluation. He is a troll intent on making waves. I made an uneasy peace with him and decided to just ignore him.

In the 6 years I have been here folks like HearToLearn have contributed to improving this forum by helping it grow into one where critical conversation is possible while being a less of a fan forum. Now we can discuss both the amazing features as well as the warts without being shut down! This is a forum for a commercial product that we all pay actual money to use. It is good for the forum and good for the product to have critical conversations!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
This topic harkens back to my first reading of HTL's comments. I find them to be very offensive. My solution was to ignore him.

Quote:
Just how much of a music background do you have exactly, "Hear" To Learn? (Was that a music pun or do you truly not know "hear" from "here"?) I looked back 6 weeks in the forum and you have apparently never posted a song. Some of your comments seem deliberately outlandish and provocative and appear to be there just to stir up controversy. That makes me wonder if you are involved with music at all or just an internet troll looking to poke the bears. Please do respond to that so we know to whom we are speaking. If you are truly "hear" to learn, you don't appear to be learning as much as arguing with people.

I agree with Eddie's evaluation. He is a troll intent on making waves. I made an uneasy peace with him and decided to just ignore him.

Don & Eddie,

I don't agree with your assessment and find the statements to be out-of-character for this forum.

How can there be interesting discussions or great learning experiences if everyone is in agreement or controversial topics can not be discussed?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

How very in to be "offended." My comments weren't directed at you, and yet you took offense and decided to personally attack me. Don, I have read many posts from you over the years and feel I know you to be a good person. Because of this, I'm going to leave it at that.

Quote:

Fair enough. Your assumptions say more about you than me.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Don, I didn't want this to get bumped down on the forum list. If you have any additional information (email address) please post it.

If not, or you need me to call, I would gladly do that.

I never turn my back on a friend. Count me in.

HTL,

Yes, please phone the DA's Office, request the email address, then post it here.

Remember to keep email messages short and to the point.

The key issue is to move my Elder Abuse case along the pipeline to the courtroom.

Thanks again to all who stepped up to the plate.

Don

Quote:
Quote:
The pain has ended for her. Focus on that and the lovely memories from such a wonderful person being in your life. She will live on in the hearts and minds of those who's live's she touched.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks HTL,

Helen's dual careers certainly touched countless hearts, first as a nurse then as a elementary school teacher.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I really don't like that this is another derailed topic. I REALLY appreciate the votes of confidence from those of you who are willing to stand up and say so. Seriously, thanks!

Steve, you are right that I did participate in the Paradox of You fun. Not only that, I was actually the one that came up with the idea to do it and started the whole concept. JC was nice enough to supply the lyrics, of course...which was hugely instrumental...er...lyrical. wink Either way, I loved how the forum came together for that. I don't think there was a single negative post in that thread or everyone's take on the song. I'm proud to have been a part of it.

Now, here's my take on this. Eddie and Don are TOTALLY fine in what they said. I can't say what I said and not have them be able to say what they said. It's the way things have to work if we are going to keep things open. I'm not hurt, said, mad, leaving...nothing like that. It is what it is. I give Eddie big time props for "bumping" a few threads after his post on bumping. Seriously, that's pretty big of him. He could have totally gone a different route with it. So, it's all good by me.

Hey Steve, see how it works? Now we reset and play again!

Originally Posted By: sslechta
What was this topic about again? I forgot.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/30/18 03:47 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Quote:
Just how much of a music background do you have exactly, "Hear" To Learn? (Was that a music pun or do you truly not know "hear" from "here"?) I looked back 6 weeks in the forum and you have apparently never posted a song. Some of your comments seem deliberately outlandish and provocative and appear to be there just to stir up controversy. That makes me wonder if you are involved with music at all or just an internet troll looking to poke the bears. Please do respond to that so we know to whom we are speaking. If you are truly "hear" to learn, you don't appear to be learning as much as arguing with people.

Jim,

If this has put us ( you and I ) at odds then the damage has already been accomplished.

I hesitated to get involved because I saw no winners, just destruction.

I'll just exit stage left.

Don & Eddie,

I don't agree with your assessment and find the statements to be out-of-character for this forum.

How can there be interesting discussions or great learning experiences if everyone is in agreement or controversial topics can not be discussed?

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Your comment about being "the culture" is the problem for me. I don't want to be black. I am not going to live in that "culture". I am fine with being white in my culture, free of sexual abuse of women, drugs as a daily way of life....

Racist much? You think sexual abuse and drugs are a black problem? Use of weed is about the same in white and black populations while use of heroin is more prevalent in whites! And just because whites don't sing about sexual abuse doesn't mean it isn't just as common in their communities.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Imagine
There's no age group
It's easy if you try
No race or color
Don't ask me why

Imagine every person

Sharing all the chords

You may say
That I'm a dremer

But I'm
Not the only one

Perhaps one day you will join us

And bring peace
To the forum

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Imagine
There's no age group
It's easy if you try
No race or color
Don't ask me why

Imagine every person

Sharing all the chords

You may say
That I'm a dremer

But I'm
Not the only one

Perhaps one day you will join us

And bring peace
To the forum

^^^^^^^
THIS

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Regarding Biab being able to 'cover' modern music:

Cheri Cheri Lady Arkaddiy Gabana and alex Dulce (Remix) 2018
Does this qualify as modern music?

Cheri Cheri Lady by Lady Yamaha 2018 cover

Does this qualify as a modern music cover that is authentic 'modern music'?

I was able to create a near exact cover to match Lady Yamaha's cover using Biab and a stock Biab style in less than 10 minutes. So, can modern music be created in Biab?

What is the baseline for accuracy? I've found the instrumentation of modern music easy to replicate but not the vocals. I think most here would also fail in creating a radio ready, chart topping composition not because Biab can't produce the music but that Biab can't provide strong, young vocalists capable of authentically singing over the Biab music foundation. The only one I've seen on the forum that could maybe come close is Tater Tot.....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've only made it through the first two pages of this thread but it reminds me a lot of a forum thread we had late last year. It was basically about whether or not BIAB could create modern sounding music in which my response was... "Hold my beer. I got this." lol

That turned into this song...
https://soundcloud.com/user-742389722/lonely-night

Perhaps an even better example would be this collaboration I did in February for FAWM...
https://soundcloud.com/user-742389722/braking-down

So obviously modern country is more than possible with BIAB. I also don't think it would be too much of a stretch to use BIAB for modern pop music. Now some genres such as rap and techno/dance may be a little more difficult but there are already other programs that people use to create that kind of music. There really is no need for BIAB to compete in that market.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:

So here's the thing, if I try to help and state what's missing to make this a current sounding country song; I'm a troll, right?

--OR--

I say nothing and the people who don't listen to this style of music anyway will tell you how this is an example of modern country.

For the record, I REALLY like this song. The melody and feel is FANTASTIC. With a few tweaks this could be the song you already think it is. But it's not there yet, in my opinion.

The problem I frequently run into on these posts that gets me in trouble is; I don't feel you are looking for help. You are looking for pats on the back for what you have accomplished. I mean, I don't think at any point in this thread or the original post of the song, you asked what could you do to make it better...because you weren't looking to do that.

It's a great song, no doubt about it. I know I even commented that when you first posted it. That chorus REALLY gets stuck in my head. Love it!

Anyway, I tend to want to help if I can. Now, I see now that my advice is actually un-asked for criticism. I didn't see that as being a troll; but can see where it would be taken that way. You aren't asking, so why I am saying anything.

Rock on. Great song, strongly written.

--Side Question-- I know you mentioned you had a whole Album coming out. Did I miss it? I would love to hear it. I really like what I've heard so for from you.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Regarding Biab being able to 'cover' modern music:

Cheri Cheri Lady Arkaddiy Gabana and alex Dulce (Remix) 2018
Does this qualify as modern music?

Cheri Cheri Lady by Lady Yamaha 2018 cover

Does this qualify as a modern music cover that is authentic 'modern music'?

I was able to create a near exact cover to match Lady Yamaha's cover using Biab and a stock Biab style in less than 10 minutes. So, can modern music be created in Biab?

What is the baseline for accuracy? I've found the instrumentation of modern music easy to replicate but not the vocals. I think most here would also fail in creating a radio ready, chart topping composition not because Biab can't produce the music but that Biab can't provide strong, young vocalists capable of authentically singing over the Biab music foundation. The only one I've seen on the forum that could maybe come close is Tater Tot.....

Totally agree. There are a few other things as well, but you nailed some major issues, in my opinion.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:

So here's the thing, if I try to help and state what's missing to make this a current sounding country song; I'm a troll, right?

--OR--

I say nothing and the people who don't listen to this style of music anyway will tell you how this is an example of modern country.

For the record, I REALLY like this song. The melody and feel is FANTASTIC. With a few tweaks this could be the song you already think it is. But it's not there yet, in my opinion.

The problem I frequently run into on these posts that gets me in trouble is; I don't feel you are looking for help. You are looking for pats on the back for what you have accomplished. I mean, I don't think at any point in this thread or the original post of the song, you asked what could you do to make it better...because you weren't looking to do that.

It's a great song, no doubt about it. I know I even commented that when you first posted it. That chorus REALLY gets stuck in my head. Love it!

Anyway, I tend to want to help if I can. Now, I see now that my advice is actually un-asked for criticism. I didn't see that as being a troll; but can see where it would be taken that way. You aren't asking, so why I am saying anything.

Rock on. Great song, strongly written.

--Side Question-- I know you mentioned you had a whole Album coming out. Did I miss it? I would love to hear it. I really like what I've heard so for from you.
Not looking for any kind of pat on the back but wondering why we are having this conversation yet again. It's already been shown that making modern music is possible using BIAB but if you have advice go ahead and share. That song is not done by any means. I actually want to rework it for a possible album. Then it will probably be even more current sounding.

As I stated in my post the other song is actually a better example of modern country. I would be more interested in your opinion of that one.

I did put an outlaw country album out last December. It's called Scars Of The heart and can be found at https://open.spotify.com/album/23R6ULT2T5KARuT4d6RRRW?si=KODjDcp-R_SDfzRxDCFybQ or on any other of the major music sites.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tater Totts here,

HTL here is your problem man. You are sweetly playing God and asking us to accept it as best intentions.

As an NSAI coordinator I feel Samuel IS doing modern country or his version of it.

Unless you are a famous producer you have no credentials whatsoever to tell a posting artist what modern country is or is not, in categorical Godlike terms. It is not a case of being a troll dude it is a case of being remarkably presumptuous.

Until you post 100 masterpieces and take off your mask, why would any real artist take you seriously?

Why???

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well said David. I am hoping HTL will take up my Hot 100 Challenge that I posted in the songwriting forum. I will be working up at least a song or two for it by the end of the week.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Tater Totts here,

Love's me Tater Totts!

Quote:
HTL here is your problem man. You are sweetly playing God and asking us to accept it as best intentions.

Oh man, NOT my intention by a LONG shot. Sorry if it comes across that way AT ALL. Seriously trying to help. I promise you that. Has it comes across that way, apparently not. Point taken.

Quote:
As an NSAI coordinator I feel Samuel IS doing modern country or his version of it.

Ok.

Quote:
Unless you are a famous producer you have no credentials whatsoever to tell a posting artist what modern country is or is not, in categorical Godlike terms. It is not a case of being a troll dude it is a case of being remarkably presumptuous.

Got it. Not my intent. But that ship has sailed, lol. I hope to God almighty that my comments didn't come across as I don't like the music. The man can write NO DOUBT AT ALL.

This is going to be an exaggeration to give my perspective...If I come in the forums and post a free form jazz piece say "cool new Rock song"...is it a rock song? I'm finding the answer would be yes. Because who is anyone else to say otherwise, correct? And know I'm NOT being at all sarcastic PLEASE. If it's rock to me, then that's what it is. I hope I'm correct on that. If not, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Until you post 100 masterpieces and take off your mask, why would any real artist take you seriously?

Why???

I don't think you have to have that body of work to know the basics. If a kindergartner learns what the color red is, he doesn't need to be Van Gogh to look at a painting and know the color red when they see it.

I guess I just hear things in current songs that would make in more of a modern country if applied here...but that's my take. I am NOT the be and end all by any means. Apparently I have come across that way. Honestly, that sucks.

My apologies to everyone that feels that way.

Thanks for the perspective David. I think I got your points. If I missed, feel free to let me know.

The funny thing is, this is thrown in my face a fair amount about my name. It's too bad people don't understand how much I LEARN from conversations like this. My challenge would be to those who also participate. Did you learn anything, or "stick to your guns." Food for thought. Don't starve.

-Not God By A Long Shot

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
For anyone interested I have created a songwriting challenge in the songwriting forum to see if users can come up with songs similar to that on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=470520#Post470520

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For someone to think they know music because "I listen a lot" is like saying you could drive in a NASCAR race because you watch a lot of races. Everybody on the planet listens to music. There is no talent involved in having a radio in your car. Playing, singing, writing... that is a skill set that not everybody has, and there are tiers of skill for those who do. AND part of that skill set erodes with age. I can barely play guitar anymore because the arthritis in my ring and FU finger on my left hand won't curl around the neck without a half dozen Aleve, and even then I have no speed anymore. The thing is, I didn't have to give back the knowledge when my physical skills eroded. So for me, and I know of several on here with varying levels of physical malady, a writing tool like BIAB is the only way we can still do this. Musical preference has a lot to do with where you were born and raised, too. 20 somethings from the inner cities were fed hip hop from birth. Older Southerners grew up on Hank Williams. There is no "right" music, and there is no "current" music. Current to me means Motown. That's what was current during my "current" years. I got to see James Brown, Wilson Pickett, The Temps, The Tops, The Supremes... all of them.

Think about kids who were raised in Italy. You think there was a lot of Chinese food served in their homes by Italian mamas? They learned that food was pasta, meatballs, etc. In their later years, they may accept that there are other cuisines, but they will always go back to what they know. Macaroni and meatballs!!!

So the argument about what is "better" is so truly subjective it is never going to be resolved.

I mean you are talking to a die hard fan of a football team that was 1-31 over the last 2 seasons. They are my team, and will always be. My RV life plans are being made based upon where I can find a Browns Backers club so I don't miss any games. Make that analogy to the music you know best and like most.

On topic, software users are ALWAYS going to stay with what they know. ALWAYS. I think Pro Tools is IT. But nobody is required to agree. Nobody. Stay with Sonar, Reaper, Logic, Cubase, Samplitude, Ableton, whatever your little heart desires.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/01/18 06:05 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Before anyone comes after me let me say this:

I have no problem with opinions.

It is categorical, know it all, Godlike proclamations I abhor. Especially anonymous ones.

Just to be clear.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Genres such as rap and techno/dance are possibly musically and instrumentally with BIAB. It's the lyrics and vocal performance we seem to fall short of.....

In all honesty, if I were to write a song in rap/techno/dance/hip hop/house/pop, I would find a collaborator of the genre to co-produce. Same with Southern Gospel.

I have had the opportunity in the past to mix some stems by a really good and proficient producer in a genre I'm not proficient in. My question was "what does he want from me?". The quality of the source recording didn't need mixing to my ears.

This leads me to the thought we seem to be missing while BIAB may not give us the complete package for modern music, what's missing is beyond what BIAB is;

1. intended to provide and
2. beyond the scope of features offered by BIAB.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that were I to work for a rap,techno, dance,hip hop,house or pop producer providing tracks of instruments and percussions for a song, any said producer could use Biab generated tracks and instruments and produce a quality and genre specific song. To boot, there are thousands of hours of pristine recorded instruments that can be generated over any chord progression, in any key and at any tempo that are prime sampling and loop audio.

That the current active forum contributors can't do it does not mean that it cannot be done.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,619
Posts735,161
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182