Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Hey all,
I finally bit the bullet and got a monitoring system with some pretty deep low end. I just took delivery of a pair of JBL LSR308, Mk II monitors from Guitar Sinner (although after how they took care of me, I hesitate to call them 'Sinner').

JBL recently released the MKII version of these monitors, and when they did Guitar Center changed the 1st generation price of each from $249/ea to $149/ea. I jumped on the deal last weekend.

On Monday this past week, order was cancelled by GC as the store that had them in inventory sold them locally. Phone-sales-dude from GC worked with me to get me the Mk II for the same price.

Looks like the 1st gen are still available for $149.99/ea at B&H Photo.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lsr308&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

At least one reviewer says the 1st generation are better than the Mk II. All I know is that it's difficult to find any semi-pro monitors with this much engineering in them for $300/pair. GC has their house-brand Sterling Audio for this price, but I listened back-to-back in store and the JBLs have significantly more midrange. It's like the Sterling had a built-in-smiley face scoop.

Full Compass has them at $200/ea.

Veteran
Veteran
Killer deal. That's what we paid for our KRK rockit5's and you got 8" woofers.

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Killer deal. That's what we paid for our KRK rockit5's and you got 8" woofers.

yes. I had been shopping used. Last weekend before I bought these, I found a set of Mackie HR824 1st gen for 300 on Craigslist in great shape visually. By the time the seller responded to my Craigslist e-mail, he had sold them already.

Had a line on two different sets of original Tannoy Reveal, one had a home theatre sub with it, for $200, but those are getting pretty old and I'd probably be replacing drivers.

These are nice and shiny.

Soon as the wife wakes up from sunday PM nap, I will be pinking my room.

For now, I'm using some Harbor Freight 10" pneumatic wheels for isolation, where I removed the center steel parts - so it's just inner tubes inside of the tires. Working quite well I must say. (I refuse to pay for isolation - I'm a noise and vibration engineer by trade and went to Harbor Freight yesterday to MacGyver what I could repurpose for isolation)

Veteran
Veteran
I can vouch for the LSR series, great monitors! I have the 4328s.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's what I have in my studio. Great speakers. I swear by JBL. They make a great product. I just bought the JBL EON ONE for my live shows.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
It's starting to shape up. Here's the desk setup now. Removed the top deck and put everything on the desk. Monitors on my Harbor Freight Pneumatic Tire isolators. View of my only outboard gear with the EQ corrections after pinking the room with a measurement mic and 1/3 octave analysis.

Starting to shape up by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

The rack by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

With that piano black gloss finish, these monitors are going to collect dust like PigPen in an abandoned haunted house. I'm going to try my hand at sewing some dust covers for them and the keyboard. I'll post back here if they do or do not turn out nicely.

Veteran
Veteran
Looks great! My LSRs had come with their own measurement mic and software and that really helped tune them to the room. I then spent a little more to get a high quality room measurement software, Sonarworks, and that fined tuned my room sound even more. Love the final sound I can mix now.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
I dig the isolators, looks a lot classier than the phone books stacked on cinder blocks I used for years. laugh

Cheers
Kent

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Getting them dialed in. Borrowed a dbx measurement mic and did several passes at pinking the room tonight. The room I record and mix in has a Murphy Bed. When it's open, it's a whole bunch of absorption and diffusion. When it's closed, it's mostly just some diffusion.

I EQ'ed the left and right monitor separately.

For those interested, here's the process I went through to pink the room:

1. I found an uncompressed, uncorrelated pink noise .wav file on the internet. Loaded that into my DAW.
Pink Noise and third octave analysis setup in DAW by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

2. I set up the dbx measurement mic right at my listening position - moved my chair out of the way to get it placed at the apex of my listening position
Pinking the room by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

3. Set the toe-in on the monitors - this is a shot looking down on the desk with a printed off 30/60/90 triangle.
Getting the toe in right by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

4. Grabbed the excellent 'Spectrum Analyzer' VSTi which uses digital filters rather than FFTs to give 1/3 octave levels (I could go into a dissertation why you want a digital filter implementation of the band filters instead of FFT, but I'll save you the time and math)

5. Made sure that the uncorrelated pink noise file was in fact pink noise. In this picture the bars are the 1/3 octave instantaneous levels when I did the window grab, the top line is a 3s peak hold, and the bottom line is the average level of the 1/3 octave filters. I'm shooting to match that flat average with my equalizing.
Pink Noise File through the third octave analyzer by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

6. Put another instance of the analyzer in my measurement mic track (track 2 in the DAW picture shot), and then pulled the track volume to zero. Also had to set the mic track volume on my Focusrite scarlett control to zero so that I wouldn't get feedback when doing the eq adjusting.
Here is the un-eq'ed result prior to setting the graphic eq. Actually not too bad to start off with.
Bed out closet open vocal gobo in place no eq applied by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

7. Panned hard left on the pink noise file.

8. Tweaked my 31 band EQ for the left side to try to get it as flat as possible

9. Repeated step 8 for the right channel.

10. set the pan to center, and grabbed an average of the mic channel. Then took a picture of the graphic EQ settings for future reference.
Bed put away closet open vocal gobo in place by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

Final EQ setting with the bed put away by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

11. Went and listened to some of my favorite music for awhile.
Came here and typed this post after shooting the pix over to Flickr.

Some of the items that you might wonder about in the photo titles: I do not have a vocal booth, but something pretty danged close. This basement finished bedroom has a closet with sliding doors. I open one up and right there is a shelf loaded with pillows and blankets and what not. I also have a gobo I made with some acoustic foam on it which I set at an angle to the open closet door. It makes for a very dead recording space (if I remember to kill my monitors!) here's a couple shots of that.
Gobo and stuff in closet by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

Gobo and stuff in closet by Lakes_of_Colorado, on Flickr

Last edited by rockstar_not; 05/06/18 07:18 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195