Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Straight up reminded me of the seventies. This is well written and produced David. Enjoyed the story line.

Thanks, Rob! I'm glad you enjoyed it. laugh

Thanks for commenting on SoundCloud! Unfortunately, the comment got lost when I uploaded the new mix, but I appreciate it.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, David

Very good melody!
The Turn chords are very effective.
(D - A on C# - G on B - G - A7)
The melody with stretta is very cool.
(Pretending to end to Tonic and continue melody as is)
Orchestration is simply excellent.
And your vocal is also very pleasant.
There is a pity in only one place.
It is the place that string obligato is the same movement as the bass line.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David! I really like this tune just the way that it was! I was immediately hooked with the word “Aberdeen” and how it’s 3-notes kicked things off… I’m curious whether there is a real Aberdeen or is it totally fictional?

I liked you vocal, very easy to listen to. I’d say too much angst over something that, as it stands is a really cool piece of work.

I have a spot on my dining room ceiling that I taped and patched a long time ago...it always bugs me because I know I could have done a better job, but no one except me has ever noticed it!

When I get into those moods about my music work I usually decide to set it aside and revisit later, and I often have more time to focus on the small fixes and sometimes some brand new ideas.

Thanks for sharing this really enjoy work!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
" it was apparent that more is actually less..." We could not agree more. As I often quote "perfection is approached not when there is nothhing left to add --but rather when there is nothing left to take away."

Greg pretty much nailed our feelings, "Really, really like this!! I hear a lot of 60's British influence (which I love). Orchestration is simply excellent!! Exceptionally nice listen!!"

We always enjoy your backstories on the production. I'm lucky to have (in many ways) "one take and I'm outa here Janice" as I can easily wear myself out just on our simple 4-5 track backing mixes.

We think that your choice of tracks and mix is excellent and well support your vocal. Most of the vocal processing is above my pay grade but whatever you did sounds fine to us.

Your choice of RT's work together very nicely. I rarely every use a complete style...they are cool jumping off places but, man, are there a lot of options after that!

Nice listen!

J&B

PS I built and upgraded my own PC's for decades. Nowadays I'm lazier and less tolerant of all things tedious so I just buy a new loaded iMac every 4 years smile
PPS You mentioned losing comments on a new upload. You can use the replace file option and keep everything else. FWIW

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Shigeki.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
The Turn chords are very effective
(D - A/C# - G/B - G - A7)

You've got good ears! I'm fond of using stepwise basslines, they can make ordinary progressions sound better than they really are.

Quote:
And your vocal is also very pleasant.
There is a pity in only one place.
It is the place that string obligato is the same movement as the bass line.

Hehehehe. I didn't think anyone would really notice!

It was originally only meant for the cello section, but I extended it out to the higher strings as well because I thought it made a nice build. But yes, it's lazy writing. laugh

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The next time I'm tempted to do sloppy string writing, I'll keep you in mind (but probably do it anyway wink ).

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I’m curious whether there is a real Aberdeen or is it totally fictional?

Well, there's always emotional truth, but I try not to make my songs that autobiographical. My life isn't that interesting, and I'm glad for that!

The way I figure it, a songwriter's obligation to the listener to provide an emotionally satisfying story outweighs the need to tell a personal story. For me, that means using proxies that are easily recognizable and evoke similar emotional resonance without requiring a lot of backstory.

One of the things that attracted me to this piano track was the feeling of nostalgia, and I was trying to capture that. I was thinking about the song Ventura Highway. It reminds me of when my older brother headed off to college, and I remember watching the Greyhound bus carry him off to Los Angeles, and the being left behind in cloud of diesel.

So I was listening to the melody line that I'd worked out ahead of time, looping it over and over, trying to find words to fit the pattern, and finally a line came to mind:

Aberdeen's gone to Texas...

That pretty much wrote the song. I figured that since it was a three verse song, it would make sense to re-use that line at the start of the verse to create the transitions for a a going/going/gone sort of storyline.

There are a number of events in my life that inform the lyrics. One was a breakup with a girlfriend, and the realization at the time that I simply wasn't important to her anymore. I think that's the emotional center on the song:

No one in this town she's gonna miss...

The rest of the song was built in a similar manner. I only had three verses to work with, because I'd written the music ahead of time, and the piano was getting the bridge.

The "reveal" of the relationship in the third verse, because that's what a third verse does.

So there's no "Aberdeen", but there are specific events that I've drawn on in writing the song. Plus, this is clearly written in a "classic" country song style, so which sort of emotional touchstones it uses are influenced by that genre.

Did that answer the question?

Quote:
I liked you vocal, very easy to listen to. I’d say too much angst over something that, as it stands is a really cool piece of work.

I appreciate the reassurance. I just figured that it might have value to people to hear a bit more about the process.

While recording the vocal, my son was playing D&D online with his friends, and I had to edit out portions where you could hear him say things like "...I've got 1000 gold pieces" and chair squeaks. smile

Thanks for the support!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks David...I love to hear the back story just like you told it above. I'm also not real interested in making songs autobiographical...but sometimes I'll hear someone's name--friend, relative, stranger-- and that will somehow click into a song idea. Thanks for filling in the "here's how it came about" info!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

That's a great song... I like the way it grooves along. Great mix and vocal.

Excellent job.

Bob

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
" it was apparent that more is actually less..." We could not agree more. As I often quote "perfection is approached not when there is nothing left to add -- but rather when there is nothing left to take away."

That reminds me of the quote often (mis?)attributed to Albert Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Quote:
We think that your choice of tracks and mix is excellent and well support your vocal. Most of the vocal processing is above my pay grade but whatever you did sounds fine to us.

Thanks, coming from you that means a lot. laugh

Quote:
I rarely every use a complete style...they are cool jumping off places but, man, are there a lot of options after that!

Yeah, there's really an embarrassment of riches in the options that are available.

Quote:
PPS You mentioned losing comments on a new upload. You can use the replace file option and keep everything else. FWIW

I'll check that out. I think it's only available in the paid version of SoundCloud.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
That's a great song... I like the way it grooves along. Great mix and vocal.

Thanks for listening, Bob. I'm glad you liked it.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,
I enjoyed this and agree with the positive comments- your voice sounds good. Definite Ringo/Nick Lowe Brit. pop sound which is so easy to like.
Well done!

Robert

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Definite Ringo/Nick Lowe Brit. pop sound which is so easy to like.

Thanks, Robert! I appreciate the compliment.

But are we talking early "pop" Nick, or the current "country" version? wink

I saw Nick play last year with Los Straitjackets, and he can put on a show! And I saw him a couple years prior to that in a solo show at a little local venue, and he was awesome. I wish I had that kind of energy.... ever!

Thanks again!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can hear a lot of Brit pop influences in your songs and that's why your songs are so easily likable - I grew up listening to Brit pop bands in the 80's. Very catchy chorus. Your voice works really well with the effects, once again. The arrangement is fragile, but airy - just like the lyrics. Well done.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is an excellent tune. I got a bit of an Oasis vibe on this tune. Excellent vocal and lyric. Well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I can hear a lot of Brit pop influences in your songs and that's why your songs are so easily likable - I grew up listening to Brit pop bands in the 80's.

Thanks, Janne!

It's interesting that people are hearing a "British" influence in my singing/arranging. To be honest, I'm not sure what those elements are, but since that's a good thing, I'm more than happy to hear it! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is an excellent tune. I got a bit of an Oasis vibe on this tune. Excellent vocal and lyric. Well done...

Thanks, Scott! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This is wonderful. So CATCHY!!!!!!

Very musical, man. Love the chord progression, the development, and the story arc, the musical arc, the build, and the vocals. And what an arrangement!!!

Just superb.

I don't know how I missed it the first time--I guess that was while I was on vacation.

Anyway great--and glad to hear you are not me. I was worried about that for a while.

smile

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Anyway great--and glad to hear you are not me. I was worried about that for a while.

Yeah, I think our wives would be able to straighten us on that! wink

Thanks for the kind words, David!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This is terrific. Obvious a lot of work went into this - and yet it seems like "effortless" music - like it is "meant to be".

There seems to be a lot of beatles mentioned - but I hear more of the "cream of the crop" 60's pop thing. The Cyrkle's "Red Rubber Ball" comes to mind. Something so catchy it NEVER leaves you alone... exquisite pop writing.

LOVE your vocal on this. The processing is excellent!

Art music + Commercial appeal.

An EXCELLENT listen.

fj

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is terrific. Obvious a lot of work went into this - and yet it seems like "effortless" music - like it is "meant to be".

Thanks! Praise from you means a lot! laugh

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of beatles mentioned - but I hear more of the "cream of the crop" 60's pop thing. The Cyrkle's "Red Rubber Ball" comes to mind. Something so catchy it NEVER leaves you alone... exquisite pop writing.

After the "Ringo" comments, I listened to some old Ringo hits. I'm not hearing the connection there, but enjoyed listening to some nice songs.

So hearing that I fit into the "pop 60's" sound is just fine with me. wink

Quote:
LOVE your vocal on this. The processing is excellent!

I'm glad you approve. It's hard for me to be objective about my voice and processing, so feedback is helpful.

I don't think I've figured out how to make the vocal sit in the mix properly, and in the future I think I'll spend more time doing A/B comparisons with a reference track.

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195