Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Created a track in BIAB and then transferred to RB and saved in my RB folder so it saved as a SEQ file. Decided to add a solo track. I can do that in BIAB using the soloist button which gives me some control of where the solo plays.

No such button in RB (or is there?) Decided to generate a RealTracks soloist throughout the whole song and simply delete the bits I didn't want.

Right click track and choose generate etc etc. But only two bars or so were generated over the drum count in and a bit further.

Tried several times then thought laterally. Opened the original BIAB track (SGU not SEQ) and everything worked fine - complete track generated.

I do all my editing etc in PT cos I'm used to it. Saved song with new solo as a seq file, opened in PT, exported the solo to a wav file and then imported to the original seq file which I had done a bit of editing on.

So now the original seq file has a solo. Long and laborious but sounds good.

Two questions.

1) Is there a soloist dialogue in RB I haven't found?

2) Can I only generate a new RealTracks track successfully if I work on a sgu fle not a seq? If that's true then I need to get my RB tracks right before I save them to seq files which seems odd.

Can I overwrite the original BIAB file from RB and not save as a seq?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
RB will only generate whatever section is highlighted. So you need to adjust your generation view to be more DAW inspired; work on this track from here to here.
That may explain your situation in RB if your From-Thru settings are not selecting the whole track.

You can right-click and Select Whole Track (CTRL+A)

The whole blue track designation also comes into play.

When you open an SGU file, the BB track names turn blue in RB and behave differently. You can change this using Track-Make all tracks regular tracks .. then the tracks behave like DAW tracks where you have to highlight the area you want generated.
When they are BiaB tracks they can all generate at once.

One of the differences between RB and BiaB.
If you open a SEQ file it'll likely have 'regular tracks' .. but if you open a BiaB file it acts more like BiaB

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
snip ... Can I overwrite the original BIAB file from RB and not save as a seq?

Yes, you can save a SGU or MGU file as a SGU or MGU file in RealBand. Click on File > Save As ... then select Band-in-a-Box songs from the Save as type drop down menu.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (110.5 KB, 231 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
thanks rharv and Jim. all sorted. RB it seems to me either acts an extension to BIAB or a DAW depending on hos its used and unles you make allowances for that you won't get the result you need. just one further question to save me experimenting if i work on a sgu file in RB then save as an sgu file in the original BIAB folder can I overwrite the original BIAB file or not?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I'm pretty sure if you save an SGU from RealBand to the original location of the BIAB file (as long as it's not currently/concurrently open in BIAB, in which case it should be locked), you will definitely overwrite the original file. I would give it a different name, at least initially, to make sure all is working well. They are small files and don't take up much space.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you can write over a file in the BB directory, but I do not suggest doing this until you fully understand the differences in an RB saved BB file and a BB saved file.

Put simply; RB files saved as BiaB files may lose some data.
So it is best practice to keep the original BiaB file (just in case) and save the RB file to a different name. This way you have both for reference. If you later feel comfortable deleting one or the other, fine, but losing work should always be avoided or intentional. At least in my opinion.

Like John mentioned, the BiaB files are pretty small, so think before overwriting them, as there isn't much to lose by keeping them for reference later.

I use a date stamp here in the file name to recognize them.

Example;
Biab file may be named SongName.SGU
My RB file would then be saved as SongName_RB_180309.SGU .. so I know the source of the file (showing an RB file saved to BB format) and the date I did it ..
180309 would equal YYMMDD (year-month-date) so 180309 = 2018-March-9th.

Just my way of referencing things.

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
still having trouble when I open a seq file in Real Band. If I want to generate a RealTrack to add a part even if I select the whole track and then choose generate all I get is a few bars.
Tried setting the 'from............ to' settings to match the whole track but all i got was two bars again.

I create songs in BIAB and the transfer to RealBAnd and save as a seq file for editing in PT. So I always have the original BIAB file, and opening the original BIAB file in RealBand I can then generate a whole track, export to wav and then reimport to the seq file.

Can I generate a whole track in RealBand when I open a seq file?

I like working with seq files in PT as its a simple program and I'm used to it - without the added bits that RealBand gives me. But sometimes I want to add to a seq file and RealBAnd should be able to do it

If its possible can someone walk me through generating a whole RealTrack in a seq file using RealBand? Please?

Last edited by Bob Calver; 05/20/18 11:21 AM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I like working with seq files in PT as its a simple program and I'm used to it - without the added bits that RealBand gives me. But sometimes I want to add to a seq file and RealBAnd should be able to do it

Bob, I don't seem to have this problem. PT/RB can trade SEQ files, with each acting as expected. Can you post an example file, maybe in DropBox or something?

Or as a test, try using Save As to make a copy of the SEQ file and see if the copy still misbehaves. If not, something in the original file may have become corrupt. If this is the case, my next suggestion would be to select the whole track (CTRL _ A) and use the Track - Consolidate Track option. This writes the track to one contiguous chunk of data (in case any of the bits get confused by the temp file/chunk settings).

Once you start making edits on a track RB and PT will write the edited 'chunks' as smaller file sections that get read in series; sometimes forcing them to all become one 'chunk' again can fix weird issues like this, especially if a plugin is involved .. and then if this fixes things I'd note the plugin as a possible suspect.

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
what I'm trying to do is to write a new blank audio track in RB. Works fine with sgu files but won't witha seq filw. Control A doesn't seem to select the whole track and trying the from to setting doesn't seem to either with seq files but does with sgu files

will post a file if I can manage it!

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
seq file is too big to post frown

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Some thoughts that occurred to me...

1. Have you installed the latest update?

I only quickly scanned the above posts so I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing 'build 5' mentioned. If you don't have this update, it can be obtained from the link below.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

2. Are you running RB as administrator? (I'm guessing that you are. If not, though, try this.... close RB, right-click on the RB start-up shortcut and select "Run as administrator" to start the program.)

3. When you go to generate a track are you using the BIAB-reserved tracks (these have track names in blue text) or the non-BIAB tracks (names in black text)?

Although generating works on both types of track, try one of the non-BIAB ones if you've only been experimenting with the BIAB-reserved ones.

4. To select the entire track, try right clicking on the track and selecting "Select whole track" from the menu that pops up.

5. Lastly, does the SEQ file that you're loading into RB have a chord progression saved to it? RB won't be able to generate anything if a chord progression not present.

Apologies if I've covered ground that others have already dealt with.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Obvious question that I have not seen address is if you have EVER been able to do what you want to do and it stopped working or has it never worked? I can't imagine the latest update fixing it if it has never worked, as that is not a listed bug that build 5 fixed, BUT you should do it anyway.

The only thing I would try that has not yet been suggested is to move down 10 like track 12 and try it well away from the rest of the song. If that doesn't help, then send this to support. The code monkeys here are seriously good programmers. If they can't fix it it can't be fixed. They are THAT good.

As they tell me when I complain (too often!) if this was an inherent bug, they would be swamped with reports of it happening. You may need to do a fresh install from square zero. Because it isn't a "crash" type event that creates an error message at a specific memory register in the software they don't have a lot to work with. "Working, but not working right" is so much harder to address than "causing a fatal error" when working with computer code. Then add to that when it is something that is isolated to just one user. I have an issue with undoing a generated part (as opposed to deleting the track) but I seem to be the only one who sees it, so it's the same kind of situation.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Two questions.

1) Is there a soloist dialogue in RB I haven't found?

Not that I'm aware of; you just generate a new track in RB using a realtrack, Soloist is more of a BB term
Quote:
2) Can I only generate a new RealTracks track successfully if I work on a sgu fle not a seq? If that's true then I need to get my RB tracks right before I save them to seq files which seems odd.

No, SEQ files should be able to generate new tracks freely, this is an odd behavior you describe, so getting a copy of the SEQ file would be nice. Have you checked out Dropbox as an upload option? It usually will allow a SEQ size file.. and has free options.

Wish I could help more, but what you describe has been done regularly for years here. Something seems amiss with how you're setup or how you are trying it..

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
First..... click on an existing track and select WHOLE TRACK.

Now select a new, empty track. It should be highlighted in it's entirety.

Choose the real track SOLO track (vs Rhythm) and let it generate.

Use volume automation and nodes to bring the solo up where you want it and down where you don't. Doing this lets you edit with copy/paste if there's a better solo elsewhere in the song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Bob,

Which version and build of RealBand are you running? You can find out by clicking on the Help menu, then About RealBand.

I'm wondering what numbers are in the "Start" and "End" boxes in the RealBand toolbar, and exactly where you're clicking to generate these RealTracks.

I can open any SEQ file, whether it started as a BIAB file or not, or even just hit File - New, right-click on an empty track, go to Generate - Select and Generate RealTrack, choose one, and click OK, and the track fills with audio. Does this work on a blank file?

Feel free to send a song file that has this problem to support@pgmusic.com, we'll be happy to check it out. If the file is too big to send as an email attachment, you can upload it to Sendspace or Dropbox, and paste the download link into the email.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Kent from support is likely your best option for a solution.

That said; have you tried right-clicking a track (anywhere) and selecting 'Track- Make all BiaB tracks regular tracks' ?

Just a thought. When a BiaB file is opened in RB the BiaB tracks try to act like BiaB tracks .. but when changed to regular tracks they act more like DAW tracks. Like I said, just a thought. Struck me on the ride home ..

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p8ftblz1qqdqxp/up%20on%20the%20roof%20copy.SEQ?dl=0

that's the link to the file
2 generated tracks - one when I select whole track and then generate and one when I set from to to start at bar 3

both only give me a few bars with seq files but with sgu or mgu files i get a complete track

I'm using 2018 v5

obviously i'm doing something wrong and the answer is quite simple

a step by step walk through might help although I think I'm doing it right

Last edited by Bob Calver; 05/23/18 11:39 PM.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........seems to work fine on another seq track. the posted track is a copy - is it corrupt in some way?

RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Bob,

You've entered 1 and 1 in those "Start" and "End" boxes I was asking about, so RealBand thinks your song is extremely short. smile

Try changing those numbers to 3 and 84, should solve your problem.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screenshot for Bob.jpg (58.07 KB, 67 downloads)
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Kent - I was setting the 'from to' at the bottom and i didn't get the hang of the song offset to allow for the drum count in

still a bit hazy about the whole process but i can play around with it

funnily enough the other tracks that worked had the correct start and end bars entered in the boxes at the top

must just have been a glitch with that file
knew it had to be a simple matter but how that single fle had 1 and 1 I don't know.............

thanks anyway

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195