Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
First of all as a full disclosure; I don't post to the user showcase. I don't even use BiaB to make songs (I use it as a practice/learning tool for bass and guitar). Furthermore, as I'm in the middle of a particularly busy period at work, I barely even had the chance to boot up the program over the last couple of months.

That said, I still like to pop into the user showcase and play songs over my headphones while I work, and lurk the various discussion forums when I have an extra 15 minutes here and there.

To my great sadness and disappointment, I have seen some posts here which contribute absolutely zilch and seem to be solely intended to hurt, diminish, and eviscerate a huge segment of this community, and to suck every scintilla of the joy and sense-of-accomplishment of the good folks who take pleasure in the pursuit of music.

Granted, good points have been raised, and I am a huge proponent of free speech--up until the point it crosses the line into bullying.
As many have pointed out already, the User Showcase forum is not for soliciting critiques, otherwise it would likely be titled accordingly.

As such, I courteously request that the people posting here, who have a darkness they feel the need to render into text and post online, use the Band in a Box subreddit for such purposes.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/BandInABox/

Thanks in advance,

DB

P.S. Just a thought: It might be a good idea for the admins/mods to create a "Critique my Song" sticky on the subreddit for those seeking such feedback.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
DeaconBlues,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There has been a groundswell of activity along the lines you have discussed that is profoundly irritating--but that is the problem with trolls. That is what they want to do. They WANT to make you angry and irritated because it is what they live for.

And--as cowards--they hide behind fake names. They cite free speech and it all sounds good, but they are full of it. I do not see a solution anymore than I see peace coming in the Middle East (or America for that matter) but I see a problem.

Here's a representative fictional example for you (I am creating an amalgamation of different trolls and combining them into one name for educational purposes):

You have a vapor-like creature that goes by the name DickyDickyDicky (or whatever). This imaginary vapor constantly wants us to believe he is the champion of free speech. But in actual threads, like one yesterday, in the thread "Eddie needs help" which started off sounding very much like the mad rantings of a drunken crack addict by another guy, DickyDickyDicky unilaterally states that song posters on the forum-ALL SONG POSTERS--are essentially delusional losers who have no real talent. It is what he says. Then he ducks back behind his computer. He is a symbol and metaphor for the whole anonymous Internet trolling thing. So, using him as a vaporous example because DickyDickyDicky chooses to be a vapor, I can produce this evidence:

Our unreal and non-human electronic cyber vapor going by the name DickyDickyDicky bought Band-in-a-Box in 2012. He originally says he is a singer-songwriter who needs help. He does not know how to use a DAW and wants help with that. He receives tons of help and education on how to use a DAW and press the on button from forum song posters who encourage him and his growth. But, in all this time--since 2012--he doesn't post a tune. That's cool. You don't have to. But he IS a regular leader in the "song posters are delusional" crowd.

Trouble is, our man DickyDickyDicky is exactly the type of destructive force you talk about--their mascot almost. And there are others. But you will never win with these types.

Whenever I finally have had enough and come out and say "look, these people and their kind are morons and idiots, please stop replying to their cowardly gibberish" some people say "Oh, look, David is being mean! He took up for the song posters and said the trolls were morons and idiots!! He's mean! And he's a phony too! Boo hoo!"

It will never stop. They will always scream about their free speech agenda. It will go on and on and on and on and on until enough songwriters--people who are using the product (or any product)--speak up and say "Hey man, it's time for you to go somewhere else."

Reddit??

How about Siberia???

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Wow, that DickyDickyDicky guy sounds like a real Meanie! smile

But seriously David, I promise to lighten up if you will too!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/27/18 04:36 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Deal.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm gonna grab a beer and a bag of potato chips later tonight and read that thread closer.... looks entertaining at a cursory glance.

And no..... I ain't gonna step into it. Not even.

For a minute I thought DB09 was talking about me. wink

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
They tried those tactics with me, but I'm still here. I think it's a defense mechanism they use for offense.

I didn't know BB had a Reddit, thanks!

Edit: That was a Ghost Town, so trolls will flock where there's action. Good luck!

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Formerly a daily forum participant, I don't post very often anymore because the forum has become so confrontational. I don't like confrontation, so I usually opt out of participation.

This topic is important enough to venture out of the shadows.

I think trying to divide the forum into good guys and bad guys then suggesting the bad guys go away is not the best solution. Dividing people generally leads to flame wars as both groups try to dominate and win. It also tends toward some form of speech or activity suppression that groups impose on one another ("don't dump a bunch of songs" or "Don't keep bumping songs back to the top") neither of which is a PGMusic rule.

I think what worked in the past in many forums is to cultivate a culture of open communication where ideas are discussed without attacking those who present the ideas. I've noticed that forums which allow Ad Hominem attacks pretty much always implode or turn into shark dens where only the most persuasive communicator's opinion is tolerated and everybody else has to get in line or get bullied.

When ideas are discussed without personal attacks (open or passive aggressive) it has the effect of uniting rather than dividing. Studies show that consensus based decisions tend to eliminate dissention, because it isn't consensus until everyone buys in.

My 2 cents.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Formerly a daily forum participant, I don't post very often anymore because the forum has become so confrontational. I don't like confrontation, so I usually opt out of participation.

I've heard several people saying the same thing. It would be easy for me to say, "that seems to be more our society today" but, in all reality, that doesn't have to be that way here. I have missed your comments Pat.

Quote:
This topic is important enough to venture out of the shadows.

I think trying to divide the forum into good guys and bad guys then suggesting the bad guys go away is not the best solution. Dividing people generally leads to flame wars as both groups try to dominate and win. It also tends toward some form of speech or activity suppression that groups impose on one another ("don't dump a bunch of songs" or "Don't keep bumping songs back to the top") neither of which is a PGMusic rule.

I have to say; I haven't been here as much, however, it seems there has been a bit of a reset. The posts over the last few days seem civil from what I can tell. Fingers crossed. Perhaps, it has been a learning lesson. I know it has been for me. When the "Pat Marr's" stop posting; it's time to reflect a bit.

Quote:
I think what worked in the past in many forums is to cultivate a culture of open communication where ideas are discussed without attacking those who present the ideas. I've noticed that forums which allow Ad Hominem attacks pretty much always implode or turn into shark dens where only the most persuasive communicator's opinion is tolerated and everybody else has to get in line or get bullied.

When ideas are discussed without personal attacks (open or passive aggressive) it has the effect of uniting rather than dividing. Studies show that consensus based decisions tend to eliminate dissention, because it isn't consensus until everyone buys in.

My 2 cents.

Right on. I have looked at my part in this and have decided to "chill out" a bit. David Snyder and I had a great conversation about many things. The big take away for me was about the showcase. It's a showcase. It's not there for critique unless stated as so. I honestly, and this is SO stupid, thought I was helping by my statements. I have never once thought a song in there has been crap AT ALL. I am all for learning and supporting people. I would bet, a number of my comments would not have people feeling that way. THAT rubbed some people the wrong way...and rightfully so.

Lesson learned from me. I'm not saying I had a big impact on the forum...lol...not by a LONG shot. I'm just taking accountability for my part in any of it. It seems others have too.

I blame the WHOLE thing on the removal of the joke thread. wink

Thanks for stepping up and saying something Pat.

Hey look...two cents! smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat,

This is not directed at you or your specific comments, but at the issue you have referred to.

Surrounding the "song posting controversy" I felt I needed to make a few observations here since I was one of the people involved in the latest skirmish regarding song postings and song posters. Perhaps I was the most vitriolic of all in what I felt was a clear duty to stand up for song posters in the face of what I would call a few clear-cut examples of vicious and unprovoked attacks from the sidelines.

However, I made some friends along the way. As Hear to Learn stated, we had a long conversation on the phone about what was going on for more than an hour. We had a great time, and a lot of laughs and became buddies at the end. Maybe it was because we picked up the phone and called one another instead of just typing.

I for one do not think I have had too many "confrontational" moments since I started in 2015. I have tried to spend most of my time supporting and encouraging as my thousands of encouraging posts and suggestions to writers will validate.

But there were certain things that lend themselves to "creating boundaries" as psychologists would say. I have to be pushed pretty far until I seek to set boundaries but several things did it for me.

1.) Many comments started to appear along the lines of "those song posters need to...should...oughta..can't..." etc. etc. etc. Most of the "shoulds" involved "should not pat one another on the back so much" or "say they think they have a hit" etc.

2.) 99.99 % of these comments came from people who don't post songs and many of them were rude and snarky.

3.) To me, many of them were profoundly presumptuous. Some implied: "If you listen to me I can tell you what a hit sounds like or how to mix one." Although I have never actually created a song--or maybe two.

4.) Those who went on the offense against the posters started it--they declared war, so to speak. And their comments were generalized to all song posters. I will never get controversial in any area of my life unless you start it. But if you start it--you should probably be ready because under the right circumstances I will come back and I will come back hard. I come back most vehemently against generalized comments.

4.) It seemed that some of these people wanted freedom of speech to "fire away" but were aghast and appalled that anyone would "fight back." I have found this to be the case in most forums where the anonymous folks go on the offensive. If the non-anonymous folks call them out and fire back they almost always cite "it's my freedom speech to say what I want!!!!" Sure, and it is my freedom of speech to say I think what you just said was either ridiculous or woefully misinformed.

5.) If once or twice in your life you feel the need to fire back, this does not mean you are stirring up controversy, it just means you have had enough.

6.) It is not the responsibility of the song posters to play Woodstock and walk around with flowers in their hair and smile to keep the peace, just to keep the peace, if outrageous things are being said by other people.

But, as stated, I for one decided to stand up against some things I thought were getting wacky and after some volatile moments, I declared a truce with several members on the opposite side of the fence. But I guess we all said what we felt we needed to say.

However, I do know for a fact that people who write songs and are artists (and this is evidenced by the fact that they write and post, thus making it clear that they have been working) will have artistic temperaments.

People who have artistic temperaments will flare up when someone starts telling them that they have a special knowledge or insights on what "good is" or what "great is" or what "professional is" or or "modern is" or what anything is.

Since the dawn of time, artists and critics have mixed about as well as oil and water.

Artists and critics ARE different. To any critic, an artist's first response has always been and will always be: "Yeah, and who the...are you?"

But, if this artistic instinct did not exist you would have 0 songs on the song forum and there would be nothing to get controversial about because there would be zero activity.

Unless the forum decided to create a special thread to talk about toilet stoppers or something.

My 3 cents. Or maybe that was 10. Or 11. No more than 13.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,580
Posts734,679
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200