Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Indeed David. I feel like a goat in a bunch of sheep. I purchased BIAB 2018 and ended up here. Never meaning to ruffle any feathers.
The Top 100 challenge led me to looking into the billboard charts.(Which I never concerned myself with before) The word challenge woke me up. And here I am. I wasn't inspired by the songs themselves only the challenge. I did manage to write five tunes from all of this...six if you count the cloak I did of the number one song. Forums seem like rivers...you throw your stuff out there and it bobs for a little while and floats away.
I myself soon will retire back to my place. I have learned in a short time that because I am white I am a racist. And I have learned that black people can use the "N" word and sell it to my white children and my white grand children..but they and I may not use the word. I do seek to create a hit but then what is a hit? One man's hit is another man's Sh.. I do need some advice. How does one get the song name on a post to connect to the song page?

Write on my friend...As Ozzy sang "See you on the other side"

Or not, C.Dan

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: C. Dan Roberts
I have learned in a short time that because I am white I am a racist.

I don't see where anyone called you a racist.

Quote:
And I have learned that black people can use the "N" word and sell it to my white children and my white grand children..but they and I may not use the word.

And, again, why in the world would you even want to?

I hope you do write a hit! But being resentful about some artists being able to use a hate-filled word prolly ain't your ticket. smile But who knows? It is a free country so give it a try!

Songwriting
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
The thing is I don't want to use the "N" word and the thing is I don't like the word being sold and used by anyone...I hate that word.
But It seems that the word is becoming cool in my grand children's vocabulary because they hear it in popular songs these days, but you say they are not allowed to use it. It is weak minds that gather gain from trash. It is hypocritical to throw the word at people and say "You can hear but you can't say it." One song says the word 128 times. I didn't create the word and I don't and will not use it, not because you tell me I can't but because I hate the word. I see a lot of division in society today and I think there are some good lyrics inside all of this....that notion may even give birth to a hit.
This is a Biab forum and this is the last I will discuss this.

C.Dan

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Guys, I think most of us on this forum are adults, that is the problem with hit songs, we like true music. I think that if Spotify, Amazon, itunes would focus some on the adult generation, they could still sale music to us. I would buy songs that are like the forum here puts out and many of my Soundcloud friends write. The market is still here, just not being used. I dont need to buy a song from the 70's that I already have, they only want to sell us old songs, we can write and record new songs that are just as good or better than what we grew up with. A hell of a lot better than the crap that is being sold for hits now. Cliff

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Guys, I think most of us on this forum are adults, that is the problem with hit songs, we like true music. I think that if Spotify, Amazon, itunes would focus some on the adult generation, they could still sale music to us. I would buy songs that are like the forum here puts out and many of my Soundcloud friends write. The market is still here, just not being used. I dont need to buy a song from the 70's that I already have, they only want to sell us old songs, we can write and record new songs that are just as good or better than what we grew up with. A hell of a lot better than the crap that is being sold for hits now. Cliff

I noticed you said "most of us on this forum are adults." Realize, I may not qualify. wink

But are you buying or just saying you would? That is the big question that is easily answered. Ad up ALL the money you spent on songs you purchased last year. Compare that to someone who consumes what is on the charts or even the college music scene. I don't know this; but am guessing they probably spend more than you do. As a business, that's what they look at. Period. Not should's or would's, reality. But there is GREAT news...

It doesn't have to be on the charts for you to buy it. There are songs in whatever genre you like, that are new songs, available for purchase right now. Ask some of the other members of the forum and you will find some that seek out what they like and will tell you it's more available now than ever.

There is no shortage of new music in any genre.

There's also no shortage of people willing to complain that music isn't what it used to be; and that they don't make it like they used to. They do though! I find that fascinating.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 06/14/18 04:30 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

Ah, "true music". I remember my parents telling me in the 70s that my favorite music was not good like their music from the 50s. And their parents told them their music wasn't music at all since it was not like their favorite big band stuff. To each his own.

And if you're serious about buying new music like that on the forums, below are just a few forum folks who'd prolly sell you a CD or accept a $10 donation for downloading their songs! smile

- https://www.janiceandbud.com/
- http://stephenwyoung.com/
- http://www.floydjane.com/
- https://soundcloud.com/bob-buford

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok, I do not spend money on the new stuff period, and will not, and i already own the white album several times over. That is not what I am talking about, yes I do buy songs as downloads from artists that I like, I am saying that the mainstream could be gunned towards the ADULT audience with good effect if songs were pushed that we like. But we have our songs that we try to promote ourselves and it is difficult to do. If you make a living selling your downloads good you are the exception. I am saying that we could do better given a better shot by the outlets. Look on the adds for new music, no way they are trying to sell anything to most of us, but, it could be done.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Ok, I do not spend money on the new stuff period, and will not, and i already own the white album several times over. That is not what I am talking about, yes I do buy songs as downloads from artists that I like, I am saying that the mainstream could be gunned towards the ADULT audience with good effect if songs were pushed that we like. But we have our songs that we try to promote ourselves and it is difficult to do. If you make a living selling your downloads good you are the exception. I am saying that we could do better given a better shot by the outlets. Look on the adds for new music, no way they are trying to sell anything to most of us, but, it could be done.

I hear ya but I remain unconvinced that there is a large market for the older styles of music. As you said, I also already have the white album (on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD!) And it is still great music so I still listen to it from time to time.

Add to that my Pink Floyd collection, my Jethro Tull records, Black Sabbath, Yes, Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, ZZTop and on and on and on...and I quickly realize I have way more than enough excellent music to last me the rest of my life! I still buy a new album from time to time but not nearly like I used to.

Couple that with the fact that we have a million options vying for our free time that we didn't have when we were kids. Hundreds of TV channels instead of the 2 or 3 we used to have. Thousands of radio programs playing every kind of music you can imagine whereas we had just a handful of local stations when I was young. We have computers we can use to make our own music or play awesome games. And then there is The Internet with its almost unlimited access to free music and information and news and art and books and so on!

So, with all those options that we never used to have it is not at all surprising to me that selling records is almost impossible for all but a few top artists.

Some folks might see my assessment as cynical or negative but I see it as simple realism. And, I still occasionally buy a lottery ticket for fun because "what if"! smile But I wouldn't bet my house or my income on it. And that is kinda how I see the odds of getting a hit record these days...like hitting the lottery.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Couple that with the fact that we have a million options vying for our free time that we didn't have when we were kids. Hundreds of TV channels instead of the 2 or 3 we used to have. Thousands of radio programs playing every kind of music you can imagine whereas we had just a handful of local stations when I was young. We have computers we can use to make our own music or play awesome games. And then there is The Internet with its almost unlimited access to free music and information and news and art and books and so on!

So, with all those options that we never used to have it is not at all surprising to me that selling records is almost impossible for all but a few top artists.

....is kinda how I see the odds of getting a hit record these days...like hitting the lottery.

This is kinda it, what J3 said.

Same in the book publishing world (the traditional world of which is going up in flames.)

4,000, yes, FOUR THOUSAND new books hit Kindle EVERY DAY.

I used to download those daily freebies with great titles, then found they were so horrible I couldn't read them. All except for Tie Me Up: Part V, The Hardest Spanking Ever. That was good.

There is just SO MUCH STUFF.

I think the last thing I spent big money on was the Hilary Hahn collection, just because when I sit in my den at the end of a nerve racking day and listen to her I can close my eyes and go to heaven.

And if she comes to play nearby I will shell out $500 for a front row seat in a second, because she takes me to heaven.

The math and money equation is really easy for me as spender.

Take me to heaven and I will pay you.

No jokes J3!!!!!! I am warning you!!!! smile

Last edited by David Snyder; 06/15/18 02:30 AM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Ah, "true music". I remember my parents telling me in the 70s that my favorite music was not good like their music from the 50s. And their parents told them their music wasn't music at all since it was not like their favorite big band stuff. To each his own.

And if you're serious about buying new music like that on the forums, below are just a few forum folks who'd prolly sell you a CD or accept a $10 donation for downloading their songs! smile

- https://www.janiceandbud.com/
- http://stephenwyoung.com/
- http://www.floydjane.com/
- https://soundcloud.com/bob-buford

Thanks for the shoutout smile FWIW, we finally gave in and have an album coming out on Amazon, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora and others.

"Couple that with the fact that we have a million options vying for our free time that we didn't have when we were kids. Hundreds of TV channels instead of the 2 or 3 we used to have. Thousands of radio programs playing every kind of music you can imagine whereas we had just a handful of local stations when I was young. We have computers we can use to make our own music or play awesome games. And then there is The Internet with its almost unlimited access to free music and information and news and art and books and so on!"

I couldn't agree more with you regarding your comments about all the options. I find it amusing to be talking about the White Album from 50 years ago. I was 22 at the time the time of it's release. And 50 years ago back from then folks were still playing songs on cylinders! Time passes and things do change.

Again, as I alluded to in an above response, with all the options available we can carve out our little niche of interest and peacefully reside in it. Nobody is forcing or even pushing me to listen to anything that I do not care to check out. Heck, Wilco seems like modern rock to me smile We are having fun exploring that large Americana tent and have been listening to Americana since folks started calling it that 25 years ago. I've loved multiple genres of music since the 50's when I used to fall asleep listening to all night radio 50,000 watt stations. You'd hear rockabilly, country, western swing, blues, some raunchy blues (yes, very raunchy - sorta like what's upsetting folks now on a relative basis smile ), R&B and more. Then all the stations became compartmentalized. And now? I can turn to Apple Music anytime and hear curated playlists or radio stations that play a mixture of everything we like. Back to the future. All is good.

Bud

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Take me to heaven and I will pay you.

No jokes J3!!!!!! I am warning you!!!! smile

But...but...but...you lobbed me a nice soft one over the net...

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, I got off the subject of making a #1 hit severely. I think the fact that Bud brought up , you can pay 10 bucks a month and hear everything, is pretty much the fact and end game. Yep cant argue that. I would love to have had spotify years ago.

Last edited by cliftond; 06/14/18 11:02 AM.
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Some really good discussion happening here. Someone above mentioned that it is hard for artists to sell records these days - but on the contrary, the vinyl market has majorly boomed in the last 6-8 years. I would go so far as to say 90% of my favourite modern artists have vinyl released. I personally have a record collection of around 50 spanning both old and new music. I'd even say records are more common in my generation than discs now, as everyone has their digital media in song files on their phones, computers, iPads, etc.

As for generations not understanding each other's music - that is undeniable. My parents are pretty open minded about modern music, but I listen to a lot of rap and hip hop and they just can't understand the appeal. And that is okay - they aren't the target audience. Similarly, I don't understand the appeal of a lot of older artists. The appeal of artists like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and AC/DC goes right over my head.

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Deryk,

Are you publicly declaring that you think Highway to Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap aren't the greatest songs ever written???

How can we ever...trust...anything anyone says ever again? First it was the G7 summit, now this.

Oh man. I am so bummed.

We are surely on that highway now.

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Deryk,

Are you publicly declaring that you think Highway to Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap aren't the greatest songs ever written???

How can we ever...trust...anything anyone says ever again? First it was the G7 summit, now this.

Oh man. I am so bummed.

We are surely on that highway now.

Haha, this gave me a good chuckle! Maybe it's because my mom used to blast Highway to Hell all the time when I was young and it drove me mad. It all has its place at the end of the day - thanks for the good laugh though!

Cheers,
Deryk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,705
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198