Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#475340 05/30/18 07:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I looked through what I have and I can't find a GOOD harpsichord anywhere. Anybody know of a virtual synth that has one? Also like to find a hurdy gurdy sound without actually buying one and learning how to play it. Any suggestions?

I'd also REALLY love to own a harmonium. My birthday is in June..... smirk

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/30/18 08:09 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
This looks like a decent one if you have Kontakt.

http://vis.versilstudios.net/harpsichord.html

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The on in the Cakewalk TSS is okay, but just okay. I don't have Kontakt.

My other thing is that the virtual instruments are WAY too quiet, even with the volume set to full 127. I figured out (actually remembered) how to use MIDI though I don't know how much I'll use it. Some oohs and aahs here and there, some orchestral instruments there... Things that are specific parts and can't be generated.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/30/18 03:11 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Understood that “good” is relative to user and use but

-Halion 6/Halion sonic 3

-UVI:

https://www.uvi.net/orchestral-suite.html

-Sonivox singles $19

https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/harpsichord

-Sampletank 2 and 3 (if you don't have ST then try the free custom shop and try one)

- Miroslav 1 & 2,

-AIR Structure (currently on sale for $49)

(EDIT in looking at this surprisingly AIR Music's Xpand!2 does not one)

http://store.dontcrack.com/?manufacturers_id=119

-Garritan GPO (personal orch.) 4 and 5

-Kontakt factory (but you don't have Kontakt so - but I think their freebie might?)

Plus others

Larry

EDIT you might have Dimension Pro? its in factory lib

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 05/30/18 10:33 AM. Reason: multiple dyslsick typos
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Another option would be to use Sforzando and load a harpsichord soundfont into it (either sf2 or sfz). There are some good free soundfonts around the web. Unfortunately, I haven't collected harpsichords.

This download below is for an sf2 soundfont file that has a number of harpsichord sounds in it. Information on the harpischord (from 1720) that the font was sampled from and modelled on is below...

http://sonimusicae.free.fr/blanchet1-en.html

Download links are below (....around 220 MB)

On the harpsichord page, above, there's also a free file for the Kontakt player (which is free also).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks. I will look into those tomorrow. Right now it's time for 'ockey, eh?

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/30/18 02:12 PM.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< My other thing is that the virtual instruments are WAY too quiet, even with the volume set to full 127 >>

Use the PGMusic compressor plug in to bring your volume up.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
This thread for DSK Sounds has a couple harpsicords in it. Only $25 for all kinds of instruments.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475346&gonew=1#UNREAD

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The best one of heard is the Dutch Harpsichord at realsamples. Check it out smile

http://www.realsamples.de/

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hockey has taken up a lot of my free time also. So are you a Golden Knights or a Caps fan?

<< My other thing is that the virtual instruments are WAY too quiet, even with the volume set to full 127 >>

127 is full MIDI volume but all virtual instrument players have an audio volume that is used in conjunction with MIDI volume. Those players include stand-a-lone players and DAWs. So if you MIDI volume is 127 but your player volume is zero you will get no sound.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
another consideration to the MIDI volume topic:

Once you convert the MIDI to an audio track, you can use the tools in Real Band or Audacity to boost the volume

MarioD #475569 05/31/18 05:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hockey has taken up a lot of my free time also. So are you a Golden Knights or a Caps fan?

Vegas, bay-bee!!! To see an expansion team win the cup in their first year would be remarkable! A bunch of players deemed not good enough to be protected by their former teams wins the cup? That's The Mighty Ducks stuff right there!

Quote:

127 is full MIDI volume but all virtual instrument players have an audio volume that is used in conjunction with MIDI volume. Those players include stand-a-lone players and DAWs. So if you MIDI volume is 127 but your player volume is zero you will get no sound.

Do you mean the little mixer looking screen where I can assign the instruments to channels? If you need the visual I will take a pic when I go up there next.

I also want to set it up where I have the different instruments I use assigned to that "mixer", which puts them all on different channels, and be able to just switch channel on the controller. As it sits right now, I have to go to the track, select which MIDI channel the track uses, and then I get that instrument. Is there a setting in the track to make the track see all the channels and make the sound dependent on the MIDI channel selected on the controller? I DO notice that there is an option for channel 0. Does RB use 0-15 to be hexidecimally (did I just make up a word) correct for channels 1-16 or does selecting 0 make it be in "omni mode"? I will try that when I go up to work on music later but thought I'd ask.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/31/18 05:58 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Vegas, bay-bee!!! To see an expansion team win the cup in their first year would be remarkable! A bunch of players deemed not good enough to be protected by their former teams wins the cup? That's The Mighty Ducks stuff right there!

There were a lot of factors in this draft. One the teams could only protect a few players, two the salary cap came into play and three there was only one expansion team. I like Vegas but I want to see The Big O get on the Stanley Cup so I'm routing for the Caps.

Quote:

Do you mean the little mixer looking screen where I can assign the instruments to channels? If you need the visual I will take a pic when I go up there next.

Yes that is it on BiaB.

I also want to set it up where I have the different instruments I use assigned to that "mixer", which puts them all on different channels, and be able to just switch channel on the controller. As it sits right now, I have to go to the track, select which MIDI channel the track uses, and then I get that instrument. Is there a setting in the track to make the track see all the channels and make the sound dependent on the MIDI channel selected on the controller? I DO notice that there is an option for channel 0. Does RB use 0-15 to be hexidecimally (did I just make up a word) correct for channels 1-16 or does selecting 0 make it be in "omni mode"? I will try that when I go up to work on music later but thought I'd ask.

I don't use BiaB or RB for anything but generating backing tracks. I use Studio One Pro for all of this kind of work. I would think the your Pro Tools would be a better for your work: I think you have Pro Tools. Others will know more about RB.

As for your MIDI channel approach for different different sounds I would think that an Instrument bank is a better approach. In an instrument bank you assign a MIDI sound to bank 0 or 1 depending on your DAW starting number. Assign a different MIDI sound on the next bank, another on the next etc. You can have up to 128 different sounds assigned, depending on your DAW and computer resources, i.e. ram. The bank is assigned to one DAW track and you change sounds in that track via program changes (PG). I use to do this back in the day with Sonar but with computers so powerful now I just assign a different MIDI sound to individual tracks.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For sound volume from MIDI, there are more layers of control that can affect volume.
You can control the overall volume of the synth that produces the sound by boosting it to 127 (on the synth volume itself and in the DAW) as mentioned.

The next layer down is the 'Velocity' of the events sent to the synth itself. If the keyboard used to record the MIDI was played/recorded with low velocity, the volume may still be sub-par even with the synth turned up .. because the synth isn't being told to play that particular note loud in the first place.

In RB, increasing the velocity is a pretty easy option in the edit area.

Note that 'velocity' can actually also affect timbre; some synths can sound a note differently if you hit the key hard vs. playing lightly. Even better synths may actually allow changing the whole patch/sound depending on the velocity of the MIDI event.

Next up: aftertouch and polyphonic atertouch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_expression

You can change the sound with keyboard pressure even after the initial velocity.
MIDI is cool!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #475793 06/01/18 01:28 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Note that 'velocity' can actually also affect timbre; a decent synth will sound a note differently if you hit the key hard vs. playing lightly.

I use my ESQ-1 as my controller, and the velocity sensitivity is off. Even with everything set maxed out at 127 the MIDI tracks are too quiet.

The next thing to learn is something Pat said abut converting the MIDI tracks to audio and having volume available there.

Remember my use of MIDI in this context is quite limited. I had MIDI all over my live stage rig, running everything through an MX-8 MIDI patching system to give me my choice of controllers and mating them with up to 6 sound sources, but this application of MIDI is new to me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just trying to help. Many times when I just wanted more volume I've converted to audio as mentioned and simply put PGPeakLimit effect on the resulting audio track to boost the volume. Very low CPU and simple to use.

Caveat; you have to be careful not to do this too much because you can cause it to become a compression type effect and start boosting the volume but putting a ceiling on it (IOW compression) to keep from clipping.

Edit:
If your velocity sensitivity is indeed turned off there is a good possibility that every event has a '64' velocity as opposed to 127, so the synth isn't being told to play loud to begin with.
You can see the velocity in the Event List for that track (the large 'E' icon in RB).

I rarely prefer this setting to be off on a synth/controller. Turning it on as a test may reveal added performance features once you tinker with it.

Last edited by rharv; 06/01/18 01:41 PM.

rharv #475823 06/01/18 03:53 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Harv, how do I do that "convert to audio" step? Is there text that simple somewhere on the GUI? I have to see if turning the sensitivity off locked that value at 64. I wish I had a manual for that 30 year old synth that said so.

Right now there is no actual song to play with. I just set up a template song with the Cakewalk TSS synth to play with it and have 32 bars of chords entered. That generated 32 bars is WAY louder than the MIDI stuff. Like WAY louder. I'll play with it some more tomorrow. You gave me a place to look though.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Right click the track and look closely
Come to think of it there is another spot in RB for MIDI - check the Expression dial on the mixer (second image). This can limit volume also.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
convertM2W.jpg (136.08 KB, 45 downloads)
Exp.jpg (185.06 KB, 44 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 06/02/18 02:53 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Between those two that should hook me up.

So it's NOT rharv's fault....

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Between those two that should hook me up.

So it's NOT rharv's fault....

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195