Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
BIABman,

If you want to private message me, I'll give you my email address and you can send me the BIAB file. I'll move the track for you and send it back.

To send me a private message, click on 'Noel96' on the left and select 'Send PM'.

I'll do my best to save your remaining hair.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
It's all screwed up.
Copying Bass to Melody didn't help.

I then Moved Bass to Melody, worked on Melody and played back.
Bass re-appeared magically on its own! frown

A BIAB user for more than 30 years (if you can believe it) !
Veteran
Veteran
It sounds like you might have a Realtrack bass with notation attached.

If you email me the file (my email address is a PM reply), I'll better be able to see what to do.

Hang in there, we'll get there eventually.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Earlier you said you've never used Real Band. My question to you is why?

If there ever was a great example of why you should be using RB this is it. Here's the why:

RB gives you almost all of the Biab functions combined with a DAW. That means once you're happy with the rest of the song, you isolate just the bass track and experiment as much as you want and you're not forced to just use one track for bass. RB has 48 tracks. If your song uses 5 instrument tracks plus the bass you have 43 tracks to experiment with the bass. Try one thing on track 7, you think it's close but no cigar. Move to track 8 and try again, then 9, 10, all the way to track 48 if you wanted. Here's the really big deal. RB DOES NOT automatically regenerate a track much less the whole song unless YOU TELL IT TO. You can cut/paste very easily from several test bass tracks until you've stitched together exactly what you want. Oh, and each track can be generated using a different style or bass patch or Real Track or both or whatever the heck you want.

You could have done this in RB in far less time than it took to keep replying to this thread and you're still not happy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
I've just sent the file back to you.

Have a look and see if that helps.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Earlier you said you've never used Real Band. My question to you is why?

If there ever was a great example of why you should be using RB this is it. Here's the why:

RB gives you almost all of the Biab functions combined with a DAW...

You could have done this in RB in far less time than it took to keep replying to this thread and you're still not happy.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
So you're saying that basically RealBand gives you everything that BIAB has and more?

That I should be entering my chords from scratch into RealBand rather than
BIAB?

Do I even need to install BIAB?

Exactly what is the relationship between the two programs?

Does one program need the other?

I'm sure I didn't bother installing RealBand to save disk space and because I was sure I wouldn't use it.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Not a happy camper here bob. frown

I reluctantly installed RealBand.

Now it seems I will have to cope with two headaches instead of just one. frown

Fired up RealBand. It opens midi settings to start.
I don't have Input. It asks to choose Output.
I choose standard Windows Wave.

I go to open the song I was working on in BIAB,
RB complains that it's 48k instead of 41k (or vice versa).
It opens it anyway.

Then the program freezes!
Can't do a bloody thing.
Programs crashes when I try to close it.

ARghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
"Initializing accompaniments"

That's what RB says after I try to load another version of the BIAB song.

Then it opens a Note .txt file on screen and the song/program is basically frozen now.

The green song Play light is on.
But the song doesn't play and nothing can be pressed in the program.
Esc key doesn't work. Responds to nothing except the Royal Salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del). frown

I don't think RealBand is going to work out very well for me.

Veteran
Veteran
Realband needs to be run in administrator mode (so does BIAB to get the best from it).

To set this...

1. Right-click on the program shortcut.

2. Select "Properties".

3. Under the "Compatibility" tab, select 'Run as administrator'.

4. OK your way out of the settings and start Realband.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Biab only works with 44.1 but RealBand being a DAW will work with any setting. With the setting at 44.1, you not have that issue again.

Regardless of any DAW you use, it will have to be set up with certain default on the initial startup. You will have to set up midi input/output even if you don't use midi. You'll have to set the bit rate and similar settings.

Once the program settings are complete, RealBand retains the settings so it only has to be done once.

Once RB is setup, you will find it has many Biab 'wishlist' features. To name a few, it has markers you can place anywhere in your song so you can label the song structure, intro, verse 1, verse 2, pre chorus, chorus, verse 3, chorus, outro or similar, it has 48 tracks rather than 8. You can have access and use of all 16 midi channels, tracks can be grouped and color coded, it allows you to 'see' your song in a timeline, the mixer section and outputs are much more robust than the Biab mixer and it has the editing features of a DAW.

It has useful features that Biab doesn't have at all such as the ability to select and regenerate a section of a track rather than have the whole track regenerate as it does in Biab. A track will only generate or regenerate if you tell it to, unlike Biab does a complete regeneration unless a track is frozen. It has a multiriff feature that will generate 7 different segments of audio/midi of a selection or an entire track. You can choose any number or all of the seven to use in your song. I had a song with a track I generated from 18 different multiriff selections. That is like having a session musician generate 126 punch in's were that to be done in a live session.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thanks Charlie.
I am sure RB works really nicely for you.

I have a feeling that I was not destined to use the program though. frown

I have started to jump through hoops just to open/run the program.
I changed it to 'Admin" in the properties as recommended by Noel.

The program opens, but I dare not try to play a song I just played in BIAB because it freezes/crashes the program!

So I enter a few chords just to see what I can do.
Try to select a style, it says 'initializing'.
That's it!
That's all RB will do before freezing up!!!

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I'm not sure if you want to pursue getting RB working working at this point and that's ok. Just let us know if you do. Otherwise, I'll not try to push you to use it. It's a tool. It has to be set up. It can be quirky. You can certainly use Biab and never use RB and you can use RB and never use Biab. But I get it that Biab/RB is mostly about having fun with music.

I will attempt to answer the last questions you posted.

Q: So you're saying that basically RealBand gives you everything that BIAB has and more?

Biab and RB share a lot of features but each have features separate from the other. They are different types of software programs from each other. RB is specifically a DAW (digital audio workstation) and Biab is an audio accompaniment program.

Q: That I should be entering my chords from scratch into RealBand rather than
BIAB?

You can do that. Most bigin a project in Biab and move the project to RB to refine their project. Biab generates tracks much faster than RB. Biab's Stylepicker works faster to review and select styles than the RB Stylepicker.

Q: Do I even need to install BIAB? Not sure as I've never heard of anyone not installing Biab. PGMusic sells a similar DAW software called Power Tracks that RB is based on but Power Tracks does not have the Biab interface features contained in RB.

Q: Exactly what is the relationship between the two programs? They are married. They share features, styles, RealTracks and Rb can open Biab saved files.

Q: Does one program need the other?
Not necessarily. They can work fine independent of each other but are designed to work complementary to each other.

Q: what RB says after I try to load another version of the BIAB song. "Initializing accompaniments"
Good news. This is normal behavior. That is part of RB syncing its startup procedure.

Q: Then it opens a Note .txt file on screen and the song/program is basically frozen now.
The note text file is also normal behavior. I'm going to speak just a bit more about the freeze up in a moment. That is obviously not normal behavior, or is it?

Q: The green song Play light is on.
But the song doesn't play and nothing can be pressed in the program.
Good news again. That green triangle is always on. When RB is working properly, the green triangle when clicked, appears like the button is indented.

Originally Posted By: BIABman
Not a happy camper here bob. frown

I reluctantly installed RealBand.

Now it seems I will have to cope with two headaches instead of just one. frown

Fired up RealBand. It opens midi settings to start.
I don't have Input. It asks to choose Output.
I choose standard Windows Wave.

I go to open the song I was working on in BIAB,
RB complains that it's 48k instead of 41k (or vice versa).
It opens it anyway.

Then the program freezes!
Can't do a bloody thing.
Programs crashes when I try to close it.

ARghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's talk about this post for a moment.

A big difference between Biab and RB is how they open. Biab generates a song(RealTracks and Midi) very fast and allows you to press and begin playing the song after just a few seconds because Biab is reading ahead of the playing and generating the remainder of the tracks in the song while you listen.

RealBand generates a song differently. RealBand generates all the tracks of the entire song before you can play the song and it takes a minute or so before you can press play and the song plays. IF you hit play before all the tracks have generated, this may stop the generation process and attempt to play the tracks but they have not generated yet so the program freezes as it continues to search and play generated tracks that are not there.

There are many things that can cause a newly installed program to freeze up and most times it's something easy to correct by pushing a button or changing a setting but it's not always easy to find. I can't tell from your post if you possibly pressed play before the tracks generated but that would be a very common and easy mistake to make until you are familiar with the program and how it operates. It is only one of many things that could be causing your issue.

It looks to me like you have RB really close to being properly setup. If you want to give one more try I recommend we try to simply get RB to open on its own and not worry about importing a Biab file at the moment. That may be your ultimate goal and use for RB but we should concentrate on getting RB open and ready to accept a Biab file.

If you're interested, try these steps. It should take less than 2 minutes.

If Biab is open, close the program.

Open RB and wait for all the messages to complete and it to initialize.

You should be seeing the Tracks view

At the top of the screen in the VIEWS Menu, click on the CHORDS button
You should be seeing the familiar Biab Chord Chart.

Enter 8 to 12 chords as you normally do

Return to the TRACKS page

There may or may not be a STYLE chosen. Once you've used the program it defaults to the last Style used (or that's how mine reacts and I don't recall setting the program up to do that so I think it's the default setting)

Regardless, if there is a Style in the Style window you are good to go, if not, choose a Style from the StylePicker.

The only other change you need to make is to set the END BAR number to the number of chords you entered on the Chord Chart page. 8 or 12 or whatever your number of bars are. The other defaults should be fine.

There is a Large Button 'GENERATE' - Click on that button and select the first entry "Generate all BB Tracks (Entire Song)

You will get a spinning cursor and you can monitor the generating tracks by watching the small bar across the very top of your screen.

The style I've chosen _FLYAWAY.STY has three RealTracks and one RealDrum Track. I entered 14 bars of chords on the Chord Chart page and my RB program defaults to a Bar Offset of -0- and the 2 bar button is checked so when I change the END BAR to 14, I have a 16 bar chart and my tracks generate from bar 1.

So, wait until all 4 tracks have generated and are visible on the TRACKS view - Three green tracks and a Yellow Drum Track. The Drum Track is always the last track to generate and you will see a message pop up saying the RealDrums are generating.

Once all 4 tracks have generated, you can press Play and the song should play from start to finish.

If it doesn't there is still a button to push or setting to change to complete the RB initial set up. If that's the case, report it back here and we'll walk you through the setup that's specific to your computer and gear.

Hope you'll try this but no problem either way. I get it that music should be fun and life is to be lived.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I would like to thank you for all the RB information. I started with BIAB around 2010. Looked at RB then and said no.

Within the last few months I re-looked at RB and said "oh I can do that" and "I can do this." Guess I just needed to more time.

I am still hunting and pecking what I want to do but it is working for me.

Bought a simple keyboard and when I get the time I want to try it with RB. We shall see.

Thanks again!

...Deb

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Thanks again for trying to help Charlie.
Trying is the operative word. frown

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

If you're interested, try these steps. It should take less than 2 minutes.

If Biab is open, close the program.

Open RB and wait for all the messages to complete and it to initialize.

You should be seeing the Tracks view

At the top of the screen in the VIEWS Menu, click on the CHORDS button
You should be seeing the familiar Biab Chord Chart.

Enter 8 to 12 chords as you normally do

Return to the TRACKS page

There may or may not be a STYLE chosen. Once you've used the program it defaults to the last Style used (or that's how mine reacts and I don't recall setting the program up to do that so I think it's the default setting)

Regardless, if there is a Style in the Style window you are good to go, if not, choose a Style from the StylePicker.

The only other change you need to make is to set the END BAR number to the number of chords you entered on the Chord Chart page. 8 or 12 or whatever your number of bars are. The other defaults should be fine.

There is a Large Button 'GENERATE' - Click on that button and select the first entry "Generate all BB Tracks (Entire Song)

You will get a spinning cursor and you can monitor the generating tracks by watching the small bar across the very top of your screen.

It has now been close to 10 minutes and nothing has been generated, no sounds etc.

There is no "small bar across the very top".

The CPU/RB indicator at top right shows in red that activity is red-lining it at 98%+ all the time!

I have been afraid to touch anything on the screen because I know if I try all will be frozen.

I will now try...

The only key that worked was "Esc".

A pop-up said " BBOutput.txt not found OK

Small circle goes around on screen...
Top says Generating music...please wait...

going on another 5 minutes now...

If it takes 15 minutes to generate 12 bars, this program
is not for me.

I somehow managed to Esc out of the freeze.
Had control of the program again.
Play wasn't working.
I tried to Exit and got a message saying "RB is trying
to do something important like generate a song etc.
If you exit now the program will likely crash."

I was stuck in a catch-22 situation.
Nothing was working for me.
But closing the program would crash it!

Arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
You're right Biabman, there's definitely something either wrong with the install or setup with your RB. A 12 bar song generation takes less than 45 seconds on my old machine. I'm really sorry you're having such an issue.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to work through getting RB working correctly.

There is a discussion on another thread discussing a batch file that resets RealBand that may address your issue. I think technically, there's not much wrong but I'm sure the time and effort you've expended makes the situation quite a major frustration.

I'll continue to monitor this thread and I'm sure others will to if you decide to press onward, just let us know. We'll work until we get you going.

Veteran
Veteran
Try changing your audio driver to MME and see if that helps. (It's under "Options | Preferences".)

Also, the latest update (#5) for Realband is at the link below. It would pay to download and install that, too. Just double-check the paths when it gets to that part of the installation.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Try changing your audio driver to MME and see if that helps. (It's under "Options | Preferences".)

Also, the latest update (#5) for Realband is at the link below. It would pay to download and install that, too. Just double-check the paths when it gets to that part of the installation.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel.
My driver was set to MME.

I downloaded the latest update #5 and that did the trick!
At least I can enter a few chords and play them.

I also tried to load my BIAB song and it worked.
However it took more than 3 minutes just to generate and render the tracks!

I figured I may as well save the file so it wouldn't have to gen/ren it again. When I clicked save, it defaulted to a BIAB file extension!

I thought it would be a RB file?

Maybe I spoke too soon?

More than 10 minutes ago, I clicked save the file.
Now I want to close the program.
It tells me it will crash now if I close because it is
doing work on a file!
I see the CPU working at around 25% (not 98% like before).

But I can't close the program unless I crash it!
Something still isn't right.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I will give up on RB in short order.
I fixed the problem I was having in BIAB thanks to Noel.

I don't see any benefits to using RB now really.
And given all the headaches it is giving me it isn't worth the time. I see a slow, buggy program.

I saved the BIAB file after I opened it in RB, hoping it would open faster the next time.

It did the same thing! It generated and regenerated everything taking more than 3 minutes.

Now here's the kicker!

This last time when I opened the file, it unmuted tracks I had muted, AND re-wrote the key bass track that I had worked on in BIAB.

I had created a melody track with the bass line.

It deleted this melody track!
It put the melody track into the bass track!
And it changed the bass track back to the original
notes that I had changed in BIAB!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BiaB wouldn't normally replace your own notation in the Melody or Soloist tracks, but it would replace any changes you made to other tracks unless you froze those tracks.

The Mute setting is not saved with individual songs, it is global, however, the volume settings are saved, so you could set the volume to zero and save the song.

Making the Mute setting local and not global has been requested many times.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
BiaB wouldn't normally replace your own notation in the Melody or Soloist tracks, but it would replace any changes you made to other tracks unless you froze those tracks.

The Mute setting is not saved with individual songs, it is global, however, the volume settings are saved, so you could set the volume to zero and save the song...

Thanks VT.
Yes I learned these things about BIAB with Noel.

But what I was talking about wasn't within BIAB.
I simply opened a BIAB file inside RB.
RB did the damage.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195