P

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
SVN? (software version number). It is an MS-Access program that applies the date, time and comment and places it in a directory for the program I am working on. I hate loosing even 5 minutes programming work :-)

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
Programming can be very time intensive.

The only thing I code is HTML and I write styles in the BiaB StyleMaker. There a Ctrl+S saves the work, and if I want to do something daring, a Save As with name variation (usually a number) keeps me safe.

I did a little BASIC and a little Visual BASIC back in the early days, and while I took to it OK, I found it not interesting enough for my particular brain to pursue. So I never moved on to more advanced programming languages and tired of those.

Perhaps it is because I didn't have the vision to create something new and wonderful like BiaB or Finale.

But I am glad there are those that code complex programs that I can enjoy. And if I am using a new one, and something occurs that the programmer missed, or is peculiar to my particular computer and combination of other apps on it, I feel confident to be able to restore the computer with a previous image or image + incremental backup.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:
There a Ctrl+S saves the work, and if I want to do something daring, a Save As with name variation (usually a number) keeps me safe.

I use this idea when storing my MultiCharts data backups. The number is the day of the month (from 1 to 31). This way I can go back no less than 28 days and sometimes 31 days. Well that is the way I use to do it. Now I use an MS-Access program that puts in the day of the week for 7 days of rotation (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun). If one wants a years worth of rotation one good way that can be done manually is to use MMDD in the file name. That way you get the overwrite of last years backup, you know what it means and you can still get them in proper order by update date and time. When doing it manually using MMDD is easier than using the count of the day in the year.

In WYSIWYG web builder it has a rotational backup built in. You just set the number you want it to save and it does it for you. I set it to 100 because I found 20 was just not high enough. At the same time I create my longer term backups with my date-time stamp method using the MS-access program and I don't think I have deleted any yet. These small backups are so small compared to available disk space. A comment can be helpful if it is long enough.

Although the current MS windows backup is not as good as the old WIn XP backup it isn't too bad. I use that as well. I just copy it out to another machine.

It is always good to hear backup ideas. It is just like that old saying "you can never have too many backups".

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/18/18 02:10 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
When I archive files I don't want to lose I do the YYYY-MM-DD format. That way when I look for one in Windows File Explorer, as long as they are sorted by name, the newest one is last (or first if name z to a).

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
When I archive files I don't want to lose I do the YYYY-MM-DD format. That way when I look for one in Windows File Explorer, as long as they are sorted by name, the newest one is last (or first if name z to a).
Notes

What you are doing is pretty much what I am doing as this image of a few backup zip files created by my backup program shows. I put in the HHMM as well because I do so many of them. I get lazy with the comment at times and sometimes I wish I didn't. The backup program has a database list of programs I might be working on. It includes the source and backup directory to place the backup file. This is part of what makes it fast. You can see that some of them are 1 minute apart. That is because I did a compress of the database after I backed up some stage of the work I was doing. I hate loosing even a minutes work :-) I got in this habit because an old version of the database program was very flaky and it would currupt the database a lot (several times a day for a while there). I never lost very much if anything by doing this.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BackUpZipDirectory.png (54.46 KB, 192 downloads)
Last edited by bowlesj; 06/18/18 06:20 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I cant understand why folks embraced w10.

I could see it was major trouble. I'm still on

w7, but dont know what the future holds???

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
The future? They might want you to call home to mama before you can use it in certain ways. In other words you can't use the internet unless you call home to Microsoft. MultiCharts does that (you can't trade live unless you call home). Multicharts can get away with it because it is by far the best trading software and their support is amazing. MS isn't well liked generally. If MS does this Linux may become popular or a Google operating system or Apple.

I am considering replacing my old clunker I3 desktop which runs XP. I would replace it with an I5 or I7. I won't do it until I can confirm I can get Win7 running on it with 32 gig of ram. Along this line there is (or was) a company in the U.S. selling machines that ship with XP. They write the drivers to ensure XP runs on the newer better machines apparently. I can see this happening with Win7 because it can handle the larger memory. The only thing I like about Win10 it it can run the text to speech reader MS-Zira. Other than that I see no reason to go to Win10.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/18/18 11:44 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Other than that I see no reason to go to Win10.

Except that, unless Microsoft extends it like it did with Windows XP, Windows 7 goes end-of-life in 2020, which means no security patch updates. If you stay off the web, that's not a problem; but if you access the internet, that could ultimately be risky.

I actually remember years ago there was a network-based virus going around. If you set up a new machine (I believe this was under Windows 98) and attached to the internet before installing anti-virus or eventually the appropriate O/S patch, it could and would get you. It did get me, until I learned the lesson. Of course, current routers and firewalls take care of a lot of that for you now, but just saying, it can happen.

While Windows 7 will work for awhile, over time, you'll find most vendors will start dropping support for the previous operating systems. So eventually, you'll have to go to Windows 10 if you want to run the latest version of software (there will always be those have have full backward compatibility, but they usually aren't the major applications you run).

And I suspect we will eventually get to 128-bit architecture, and we then get to go through all the hand-wringing and teeth gnashing all over again as with 32-bit versus 64-bit.

No, you don't have to go to Windows 10 today, but eventually, you'll be forced into it. More and more apps are dropping XP support (it may work, but you're on your own); I believe the same will happen with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, and I've even seen some utilities recently that stated they don't even work with the original versions of Windows 10.

You can go to Linux (or Apple), but you will have to re-buy all your software (or embrace open source, for which there are some great programs, but also limitations). And even some open-source software is not free.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
The worst thing about w10 is EVERY computer and
processor sold in last, what 2-3 years, is forced
to use it. At what benefit to the consumer?
Zero, in my opinion.

I bought a laptop and was outraged when I discovered
I couldn't put w7 on it.

Veteran
Veteran
My question is, why do people hate Win 10?

When Win3.1 came around, some of the DOS people went crazy: "What? Pictures on my computer?"

Then some of the Win3.1 people complained about Win95

On Win95 they complained about Win98

and so forth for every version of Windows that followed it. Many pople even hated XP and Win7 first.

A agree there were some 'dogs' like Win8 and Vista. I particularly didn't like Win8, but I bought a start menu app that solved that problem.

Win10 seems to work well, and some of my apps run much faster on it.

Some of my very old Win3.1 apps no longer work on Win10, but very few. Most of my old apps I've abandoned anyway.

And that nice DOS "poetry generator" app never did make it to Windows 3.1.

But all in all, it's just the way of things.

On the Mac side, there are people still resisting OSX and are keeping their System 9 computers alive.

What's wrong about Win10 that some people hate it so much?

I'm serious, I'd like to know.

Insights and incites by Notes

Veteran
Veteran
We have lots of systems here (about 23 in total I think). I was reluctance at first to go to 10.

Now, nearly all of our systems are W10. No issues, and fastest boot times ever.

A learning curve? Yes, or course. A steep learning curve? No. Frankly, I don't see what the issue is.

Use whatever you want. Just like I do. wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:
The worst thing about w10 is EVERY computer and
processor sold in last, what 2-3 years, is forced
to use it. At what benefit to the consumer?
Zero, in my opinion.

This is it in a nutshell. There is no gain or at least not enough gain to make it worth the learning. I am quite happy with what I have now. Computer development can completely stop now and life will be just peachy :-) I normally delay until some major reason comes along like a major memory increase and significantly better apps needing the memory gain. MultiCharts 64 bit is a good example. It will only run on Win7 because I often use more than the XP cap of 3 gig. Not having to constantly update means as musicians you get more time to practice, learn more songs, whatever :-)

As far as threats from (virus network worms, ransomware, rootkits) installing Windows offline then taking an double image backup to an external drive you don't plug in very often then going online is all you need. Even rootkits are knocked out when you restore. I often question having anvivirus software running. Just restore and install fresh take another 2 offline backups then go online and you are back and protected again. Nothing can touch you. It might be wise to get your operating system on DVD. I am glad I did.

I think the long term MS goal is to charge for everything by a monthly rental rate. They have started this with Office. I also think it has to do with MS wanting a monopoly. There was the big court battle over that years ago. People for good reason want lots of competition. It is good to see Google getting in there to compete.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/19/18 07:08 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Apprentice
Apprentice
My question is, why do people hate Win 10?

MS it's the company you love to hate. Reasons? No need no reason to hate. Hate and reason are mutually exclusive.

Win10 seems to work well, and some of my apps run much faster on it.

That's my experience as well. Studio One and the new Cakewalk by Band Lab run faster on win 10 than either Win 7 or 8.1. That's a fact. Can't argue it.

What's wrong about Win10 that some people hate it so much?

What I've gathered by this post is lack of knowledge of the OS. Including the oh, so maligned "forced update".

I've been running the Win OS since 3.1 and only the poor mantained or wrongly set-up machines exhibited some kind of what it may be considered a "malfunction", although I've never, ever had a machine stop working because of an update. The only problems I've encountered were all caused by not-well-coded 3rd-party apps and/or hardware drivers.

The people considerng the lack of benefit of an ever-evolving OS, shaping the future by responding to new ways to use it, are simply too petty and narrow-minded to even take'em seriously.

The way of the evolution is: evolve or die. Ruthless, but a sure way to ensure that future generations are better equipped to withstand the new challenges that evolution will present us that can't even being imagined at present time.

Last edited by LtKojak; 06/19/18 10:00 PM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Why is the file find worse than on XP? Going backwards.
Why is the MS backup worse than on XP? Going backwards.
Why do they not allow you to download the updates to a separate file to apply the updates when you choose to apply them so you can keep the system clean of internet junk or poor software uninstalls? Not only that you can reapply the update if needed as I did with XP maybe 5 times. It is a great idea and they use to use that great idea. Going backwards.

To summarize they increase memory (great) but loose a few great features and ideas along the way. My best guess is loss of the personnel who programmed those great features or the management who realized they were good features.

Windows is notorious for being flaky? Always has been. I have heard this from repair people who work 8+ hours a day at this stuff and know windows better than anyone on this site. I had this issue very recently and I didn't blame windows. I mentioned it to the repair guy and he said "Windows is like that". Why do you have to reboot it to clean it up? Actually this issue occurred during a reboot and I had to do it again.

Solve the first 3 issues and I would have no complaints about windows.

Regarding how people choose to allocate their time (whether they choose to buy the software later after all the bug fixes in the service packs have come out to save themselves the hassles) is personal preference issue often having a lot to do with how busy they are with other activities or how much money is at stake. Again based upon my experience and the experience of someone else who managed 200+ programmers I estimate 90% of these updates are bug fixes. It has nothing to do with progress. However the need to apply fixes after the fact will probably never change. It can't since humans will never be perfect but at the same time it is all relative. On the trader's forum I visit many of the traders hold back on upgrading their software as long as possible because they can't afford to have their software go down while they are in trades and some of them get really angry when it does go down during the trading day. They do this with the execution software, the charting software and Windows too. The people who offer the execution software I use know this and they keep their prior release available to serve this much more demanding way of thinking (they state on the website that it is proven to be more stable). Microsoft does not do that. Why do they not keep selling windows 7 when all its service packs and updates are complete after windows 10 has come out? The the traders have a lot different way of thinking than someone running BIAB after hours who can afford to put up with the bugs. Its just music. Who cares? However if I am running a jam and I ever find windows update running on me after I disabled it I won't be to happy. That is why I started this thread and if that happens I will remove Win10.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/20/18 02:54 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
V
Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
V
For whom do not want window 10 auto update, You can disable win10 update, follow the instruction -> https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html

Last edited by Vincente; 06/20/18 02:19 AM.

WIN11 OS build 23H2, 16MB, 1TG SSD.
BIAB2024, build 1109, MegaPaK
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Vincente. I have left a reminder to try the registry approach. John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Why is the file find worse than on XP?

Why is it worse? Please, elaborate.
Why is the MS backup worse than on XP?

Why is it worse? Please, elaborate.
Why do they not allow you to download the updates to a separate file to apply the updates when you choose to apply them so you can keep the system clean of internet junk or poor software uninstalls?

Win updates are NOT "internet junk" nor "poor software uninstalls". You're just not savvy enough to navigate the Win OS's innards, as what your saying is completely possible, but are "hidden", for the lack of a better word, from the masses for the inherent danger to really do irreparable damage to the OS if certain procedures are wrongly applied.
Windows is notorious for being flaky? Always has been. I have heard this from repair people who work 8+ hours a day at this stuff and know windows better than anyone on this site.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but obviously the people you've been talking to, despite working in "the business", are not as knowledgeable as you make'em to be. Most probably because yourself are not as knowledgeable either, so you lack the actual knowledge to pass a fair judgement.
I had this issue very recently and I didn't blame windows. I mentioned it to the repair guy and he said "Windows is like that". Why do you have to reboot it to clean it up? Actually this issue occurred during a reboot and I had to do it again.

I'm having trouble finding the description of the specific "issue" you were having. If it was implied in the body of the post, then I failed to comprehend what it was.

based upon my experience and the experience of someone else who managed 200+ programmers I estimate 90% of these updates are bug fixes.

That's just a blank statement. Without having the blueprint of the project itself and the allocated resources to every single part, it's simply impossible to make any estimate of success or failure of any programming project at all.
Why do they not keep selling windows 7 when all its service packs and updates are complete after windows 10 has come out?

You can buy Win 7 with or without a computer as we speak. What are you talking about?
if I am running a jam and I ever find windows update running on me after I disabled it I won't be to happy. That is why I started this thread and if that happens I will remove Win10.

If it happens, it's because you haven't disabled it. Plain and simple. Oh, BTW, when playing live, a part of the most basic machine's setup is to disable the network card and the Wi-Fi. By doing that, anything related to it just can't happen.

I think the overreaction that made you post this thread is basically user error. You being the user.

Why I've performed with my Win-based laptop in excess of TWO THOUSAND performances since May 2011, including rehearsals, gigs, spontaneous jams and studio dates with absolutely no glitches, starting with WinXP, then updating to 7, 8.1 and now 10? I think the main reason might be that I basically know what I'm doing, and the hardware matches the software to be up to the required task.

And yes, my Win 10 OS is updated to yesterday, if you would like to know.

For the record, I became a MCSA in 2001.

Last edited by LtKojak; 06/20/18 06:34 AM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think the long term MS goal is to charge for everything by a monthly rental rate. They have started this with Office. I also think it has to do with MS wanting a monopoly.

The "lease" of software is tied to the fiscal detraction rates being higher than the acquisition of software. The concept is the same as with cars.

There goes your conspiracy theory... wink

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
I completely agree with you Pepe. So much BS in this thread by a few people who are "IT pros". Ever notice it's mostly people who supposedly know "all about" MS, know all about the OS, know all about registry hacks and who knows what else about PC's they "know all about".

Those guys have messed up their systems so much that all they can do (and many have, read other threads about this) is reformat and reinstall Windows.

Here's the bottom line. MS now has several hundred MILLION installs of Win 10. Don't you people think that if these automatic updates was a real problem affecting oh, I don't know say 10% of users MS's stock would take one heckuva hit? Of course it would and this so called issue would be splashed all over the news, all over the financial press, all over EVERYWHERE. This is pure crap

Yes, occasionally someone will lose some small config like an audio driver or something. Big deal, easy to fix. I've posted this so many times now I should have it in a Wordoc so I can just paste into the next thread that comes up and there will be yet another one. Here it is.

I keep my PC's rock stock. No messing around with anything. I take a fresh system drive and install Windows on it, in the current case it's Win 10 Pro. I leave it alone. Repeat, LEAVE IT ALONE. I do not modify anything and I do automatic updates. It's all about security and look at my thread about that in the Tech S.O.S. forum and read what our offsite IT company advises. In 15-20 years I've not had a problem EVER.

Some of you guys in this forum "know too much" and you're outsmarting yourselves.

Just my opinion, YMMV and all that rot.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195