Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B,

Not familiar with "Southern Gothic" but I think I might like it!

Certainly, I like this track. In fact I love it.

A beautiful vehicle for Janice's super vocal delivery, making me shiver at the emotion in it.

Some delightful guitar from Peter and an excellent mix top it off.

Wonderful.

ROG.

Rog
Thanks for those nice comments.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Every once in a while a song comes along and I think, man, I wish I had written that - this is one of those times...

This song is an absolute gem from start to finish. Janice has laid down an incredibly sensitive, strong and moving vocal - none better! The write, production and arrangement is beautifully nuanced and pro all the way. It also sounds like it was recorded / produced in a high end studio.

And finally, Peter's guitar playing should be turned into Real Tracks...

Outstanding from every angle!

Bob

Bob
It's a privilege to play on a track like this. Thanks for the comments on the guitar.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Ok! Listened through once, now listening again so I can take notes.

Intro is perfect and sets the mood for the song before Janice starts doing her cool thing.
Her phrasing always makes me smile, the way she sings "pull that trigger" for example, and "nothing lasts nothing lasts". I also like the way she will often bend up to a note, like a guitarist would do.

Speaking of guitar, Peter plays the perfect solo for the song, and his guitar work throughout is stellar.

Good job on the mix, Bud, just the right amount of processing on the vocal, and everything else sounds nicely balanced too.

Enjoyed the listen!

Hey, we both smiled when we read that about Janice’s phrasing. She can scat sing great guitar riffs. She does a mean Duane Allman Statesboro Blues smile

Thanks for mentioning the mix also!

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Not as Country Gothic as Psycho but a dark side of the Nashville carpark or the Brownsville honky tonk.
The melody takes a couple of lovely turns that give it a lovely noir sense - particularly against the pedal steel.
Excellent embellishments by Peter.
Top Shelf folks.

Thanks Ray for the positive and very thoughtful review. Glad it worked for you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful simple arrangement. I like how the drums are so present and still not disturbing the overall laid back feel. And the solo is perfect. Great lyrics with 'ghosts of past' reflecting nicely the decaying hometown. And top of it all, excellent vocals.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
J&B...What a pleasurable listening experience! This song is just what music ought to be… Easy on the ears, gently meditative and inviting you to listen again. I agree with other posters that the production is very professional and you made some great choices—style, tempo, vocal approach. Thanks for posting

We genuinely appreciate your supportive remarks. And extra thanks for mentioning the production!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Janice & Bud, Peter,

Really nice production!
Super vocal and guitar!
The melody and the chord progression are excellent.
It reminds me of John Lennon's melody a little bit.
I really like the chord progression.
C - E7 - Am - Ab - C - G7...
I like the usage of Ab.
And I also like the blue note(Eb) at the end of the melody.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Wow, all the instrumenst sound so good, the mix is awesome, Janice your vocal is top notch, The best song I have heard in a long time.

Thank you for the great review! You are too kind - but we’ll take it smile

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice, Bud & Peter,

I really like the form you chose for this song- the verses with a simple refrain keeps it simmering.One of your best writes, Bud-sensitive & real.
Janice sings with such feeling ( particularly that wonderful "nothing lasts" tag at the end).
The guitar fills are lovely & absolutely right for the song.
Very,very good!

Robert

Robert
Thanks for the comments on the guitar. I loved the last line as well.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your best I've heard. Janice just shines on this. What a perfect voice for the music. And the music is fantastic. And peter was spot on with his guitar. If I mentioned all the superlatives that apply, this would be an incredibly long post. Excellent!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Ok! Listened through once, now listening again so I can take notes.

Intro is perfect and sets the mood for the song before Janice starts doing her cool thing.
Her phrasing always makes me smile, the way she sings "pull that trigger" for example, and "nothing lasts nothing lasts". I also like the way she will often bend up to a note, like a guitarist would do.

Speaking of guitar, Peter plays the perfect solo for the song, and his guitar work throughout is stellar.

Good job on the mix, Bud, just the right amount of processing on the vocal, and everything else sounds nicely balanced too.

Enjoyed the listen!

Thanks Dave I kept it pretty simple on the final take. It was a nice chord progression to work with (as evidenced by the lovely melody Janice and Bud wrote).

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow J&B another great tune! This has such great feel to it! There are so many little clever twists and turns in here! I was almost to the end of the song before I realized there was no vocal harmony backing up Janice's vocal but it's such an effective performance by her that it's not needed! You folks have produced a super song here! Almost forgot to mention, Peter's guitar work is so good in here! it sounds wonderful! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 06/09/18 01:15 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is one of the best things y'all have ever done.
Each of you.
That's saying a lot, since everything you do is good.

The write is excellent. Both lyrically and melodically.

The production is exquisite. The percussion, the bass, guitar and pedal - perfect.

Peter's guitar is a delight. Simple and Right. Perfect.

Janice's vocal is goose-bumpily. (That's a word I just made up. Just for this performance). Maybe her best of all time. That puts it in the stratosphere.

The mix is so good you don't even think about it.

This is BIG WOW kinda stuff.

fj

All we can say mr jane is that you have served up some high praise and we are deeply appreciative!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Each of you.

The production is exquisite. The percussion, the bass, guitar and pedal - perfect.

Janice's vocal is goose-bumpily. (That's a word I just made up. Just for this performance). Maybe her best of all time. That puts it in the stratosphere.

fj

I agree 1000%!

If I heard this at a record store I would have purchased it right then and there.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Not as Country Gothic as Psycho but a dark side of the Nashville carpark or the Brownsville honky tonk.
The melody takes a couple of lovely turns that give it a lovely noir sense - particularly against the pedal steel.
Excellent embellishments by Peter.
Top Shelf folks.

Thanks Ray

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Each of you.

fj

Thanks for the great comments and your observation about the guitar. Much appreciated.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow, super smooth.
Apart from the beautiful vocals, superb guitar (Peter!) we also love the very subtle drum sound!

Great job guys!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks y’all and extra thanks for mentioning the drums. We weren’t sure how well they would work. We appreciate you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Bud and Janice
Congrats on another great B&J production. Enjoyed it very much.

Thanks Joanne!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this one smile That slide guitar almost gave me a surfer rock sort of vibe at the start. The vocal delivery here is so passionate and soulful - a well rounded tune no doubt but above all else, that is really what drew me in here.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk. Janice much appreciates your comment on the vocal.

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 06/14/18 10:57 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow, super smooth.
Apart from the beautiful vocals, superb guitar (Peter!) we also love the very subtle drum sound!

Great job guys!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks you are too kind.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Just a beautiful song. Loved the lyric and the feel of the backtrack. Was mixed just perfect for my headphones. Just a delight to listen to. Janice’s vocal was excellent. Just kept you engaged with the lyric. Just loved Peters guitar work. Solo was just perfect for the song. The fills and embellishments just added so much to the song

Scott thanks for those comments on the guitar work. Much appreciated.

Peter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199