Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Over the past 15 years, I've listened to very little commercial radio. Podcasts are my thing for interesting dialogue and news, as well as for finding out about new music.

There's a few radio stations across the country that have a 'song of the day' podcast. I will let a week or two of subscription of song of the day downloads to build up and have a very eclectic music mix on my drive to work.

This band, Wye Oak, has shown up in several of these stations' daily song downloads, and each time I hear the singer's voice proud amongst the interesting beats, electronica backing, and beautifully mangled electric guitar - I look up to see who the band is. This has happened a few times, and I decided to purchase their latest CD from Amazon.

There has been a trend going on 10+ years of indie female singers, mis-shaping their vowel sounds, so that it often sounds like a meow for every single vowel. I don't mean that as a crotchety old man, it's the best I can describe their 'formant-replacement-method'. It's as if every vowel should receive every single formant, which is what a cat does with a meow. Huge turnoff for me. There are many male singers in the indie rock world that are doing this as well. Drives me nuts. I want to hear you sing how you talk, not how you think you are being edgy and clever.

Not so with Wye Oak. Gorgeous vocals, provoking lyrics.
http://wyeoakmusic.com/

I hope that they really take off and maybe the female indie artist world will wake up to it and think to themselves that 'Hey, I can sing like I talk AND get picked up by college radio', and this meowing trend will die like the gated snare sound of the 80's.

Another one that I've recently come across is a sister duo from Sweden called 'First Aid Kit'.

Harmonies like only sisters can sing - in mid-west American accents, with modern twists on Americana music.
http://firstaidkitband.com/

As for the podcasts that do the song of the day feature:
https://www.thecurrent.org/collection/song-of-the-day
https://kexp.org/podcasts/song-of-the-day/
https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/todays-top-tune

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

I listened to both artists. I have to say... neither "did anything" for me. Obviously not the kind of music I like. In both cases, half way through the song I began "waiting for it to be over". Nothing about them appealed to me (and I listen to a lot of new music of all kinds).

There is a lot of music in the world these days...

Thanks for offering it up...

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

I listened to both artists. I have to say... neither "did anything" for me. Obviously not the kind of music I like. In both cases, half way through the song I began "waiting for it to be over". Nothing about them appealed to me (and I listen to a lot of new music of all kinds).

There is a lot of music in the world these days...

Thanks for offering it up...

We must not like the same music. First Aid Kit sound much more what I remember real country music sounding like, than any of the current stuff except some Allison Krauss - She and Union Station are the real deal (got to talk with Ron Block for about 15 minutes at Guitar Town 2016). I can't stand most of the modern party rock that passes for country these days which is what I keep seeing the BIAB'ers wanting these days. Give me some George Strait, older Emmylou Harris, etc.

Anyways, neither are heard on most radio stations these days.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90's Country is my #1 favorite music. If you don't know that, then you haven't listened to much of my music...

Here is a list of a few favorites:
Previous forum post about Country songss
(2nd response in the thread)

But I prefer not to be "stuck in the past" - and I'm willing to listen to - and write and produce - newer stuff.

As for BIAB'ers wanting the new Country sound - there are only a couple who really do - a couple who give it a try - a couple who never let us hear what they do ever, so we don't really know... The majority of BIAB'ers - like 98% - are more than happy with what BAIB can do for them and the sound they prefer.

Did you have a listen to the Ashley McBride record?
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468555&Searchpage=1&Main=68482&Words=McBryde&Search=true#Post468555

Last edited by floyd jane; 06/02/18 12:21 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to some of their album but was unimpressed. Here they bring Emmylou Harris to tears which is much closer to Classic Country in my estimation.

https://youtu.be/Hi5A9OCAyIk

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to Wye Oak and thought she was really good. But I liked First Aid Kit the best and in fact I will purchase this album as both my wife and I like this genre.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Music is such a personal thing....and there is so much to choose from. E

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I never really thought of indie as being 'hipster'. I really enjoy indie folk and indie rock, but that's because indie folk runs in the family and I've been around it forever. I do admit that the downside to indie vocalists is that they do tend to all have the same cadence and overall sound to their voices, so listening to a bunch back to back can get a bit stale ( in my honest opinion ).

I'm currently really enjoying Florence and the Machine's new single, Hunger. That being said, Florence and the Machine is not always my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of her singing style most of the time, but when you have the right combination of sounds then it just works. Howl is the only other song by them that I actively listen to. Nooot a huge fan of the rest of their stuff.

Passenger's All The Little Lights is also really good, but then again I like all his stuff.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ember,

You've hit on an excellent point...I don't prefer to be categorized as Country when I am more of a Folk listener and singer. In fact, I'm not comfortable being 'shoehorned' into any one particular genre. My musical tastes span the broadest of spectrums, even Broadway musicals, and light opera.

Some of Gordon Lightfoot's songs go straight to my heart but they are seldom the over-played, highly commercialized songs. I don't care if I ever hear "Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald" ever again. However, there are many of Gord's 'B-sides' that I still love and would like to hear more of.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is an interesting observation. I've noticed that distinct "yowling" form of singing in lots of folk music these days too. I'm not overly fond of it, but it's a genre of music I've never cared much for in the first place. I didn't mind Wye Oak one bit though smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
And I can’t stand Florence and the Machine. The Machine is fine. Florence is one of those meowers

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
I can't hear the meowing. They all seem ok to me including Florence. This must be culturally specific... The only meowing singer I can't stand is Amy Winehouse.

Last edited by lambada; 06/04/18 11:20 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: lambada
... The only meowing singer I can't stand is Amy Winehouse.

I actually really liked Amy Winehouse. Very different and unique IMHO.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
... The only meowing singer I can't stand is Amy Winehouse.

I actually really liked Amy Winehouse. Very different and unique IMHO.

Ditto

She was nuanced and wasn’t compelled to scream.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
While not a group, a modern singer in this kind of style I really like is Aurora. She is Norwegian, so she does have an accent but definitely not what I'd describe as the signature "yowl" we're referencing here. She also falls into a category closer to pop than folk generally speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwdGRHl5Mw

As for Amy Winehouse - I can definitely understanding someone finding her voice annoying, but I actually really like it for the same reason mentioned above: it sounds really unique and fresh to me.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is where almost 67 year old grumpy Eddie comes in with his extremely old school nuanced taste in music.

Just for an example of where this is headed, let me share a quick story with you. A female friend of mine called me abut 6-7 years ago all excited that she won tickets to see Josh Groban, asking if I would go with her. My reply was something close to "There are not enough Clydesdales in the world to drag me kicking and screaming to a Josh Groban concert."

One of these threads somewhere mentioned that Ed Sheeran guy. I had to go find him and listen to about 10 seconds of 3 of his songs to see how much I hated his work. Refer back to the Clydesdale reference.

I can't stand this breed of wispy, willowy, overly-breathy half whispered largely falsetto singers that are the rage today. I want to hear music with power. With guts. With testicles. The music of today puts me in mind of the days of dueling when people would slap each other on the cheek with a glove. I prefer a solid left hook.

To Groban and Sheeran, add Jason Mraz, John Mayer (excellent guitarist - sappy songs), ANY of the nasal girl singers who release music in which you can audibly hear the autotune in place. And any of the boy band craze bands. New Kids, NSYNC, First Edition... any of them. Yes, they could sing, but when you spend more time in the beauty shop than the rehearsal hall, that's a problem for me.

Listen to THIS singer. I would rather gargle with Drano and chew razor blades than endure 100 minutes of this kind of voice. I suspect this is what you mean by "hipster" music? I don't have any idea who this guy is or what he looks like, but I am going to guess he probably has a man bun.

I want Average White band. I want Tower of Power. I want Earth Wind and Fire. I want music that screams at me to GET OUT OF THAT CHAIR AND MOVE YOUR FEET!! Not "Oooh let's make hot chocolate and cuddle under the stars".

I allowed myself to be dragged to a faith music concert once. The guy next to me, the GUY next to me, wanted to hold my hand and sway to the music. Okay, first of all, Eddie doesn't "sway". Second, keep your [ahem] hands off me. There is no reason other than you taking my pulse if I collapse mid-show for you to touch me. To this day I don't know why I even went to that thing. I am not a believer. That being said, some of the best music I ever heard was in a Southern Baptist church in Oklahoma!

On topic, of the 2 examples, I was okay with the second one a little bit. Not the first one. At all. Even the second one only got an A&R listen of 20-25 seconds.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

I want Average White band. I want Tower of Power. I want Earth Wind and Fire. I want music that screams at me to GET OUT OF THAT CHAIR AND MOVE YOUR FEET!! ..............

I agree with you Eddie. These are great bands. Be sure to check out Tower of Power's new CD "Soul Side of Town". It's excellent and I'm sure that you will like it.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, I listened to 10 seconds of 3 songs and bought that CD.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I can't hear the meowing. They all seem ok to me including Florence. This must be culturally specific... The only meowing singer I can't stand is Amy Winehouse.

Yeah, I don't really hear the meowing/yowling either, but maybe that's because I'm a crazy cat person and have a hard time comparing it to actual cat yowling. grin

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Not "Oooh let's make hot chocolate and cuddle under the stars".

Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're in to. Personally I find it pretty relaxing sometimes. I tend to listen to indie music specifically when I need to relax. But I agree it's not exactly music intended to make you stomp your feet to the music. Then again, it is apples and oranges, musically speaking. grin They serve different tastes and they're all valid.

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 06/06/18 05:21 AM.

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195