Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#477472 06/12/18 01:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I saw a few folks bring out some older songs recorded back in the day, so I decided to rework one too. I had been contemplating it but this was the push I needed to drag it out, dust it off and redo it completely from the ground up. Nothing in this was in the original.

This is a song I wrote with a buddy of mine way back in the day. We were sitting in my living room discussing the sad state of affairs in our lives, playing gigs for the door take in a few of the bars in our town. We wrote this song. It's probably the first "real" song I wrote.

Band:
Drums: Hard rock style
B3: 686
Piano: 890
Bass: 995

Main vocal and 2 harmonies. I deleted the doubling tracks from this project.
Acoustic Guitars: 2 unique Taylor tracks
Electric: I think there's 3 main tracks and a few this and that's. Most was recorded mic'd on my Mesa, with the cleaner solo recorded on my POD2. Looking back, maybe I would have or should have recorded the other parts a bit cleaner but hey... it sounded good while it was happening.

This is the first tune in a long time where I have used MIDI:

Bass is augmented at the end with Cakewalk Sound Center Ricko Bass.
Drums are Jamstix : snare pop and final "take it home".

Hanging Around

In case you're wondering and are curious.... the original is still on my other music page way down at the bottom.
The original is 100% me. It was recorded back before I got BB and started using it. A combination of live and midi with me playing the midi. I even played the piano on it. Not so on the new version.

Anyway, I had a good time recording this and I hope you enjoy the listen.

BTW: Mike and I were in a band called Boot Hill which played a lot, and I mean a lot of Charlie Daniels and the Marshal Tucker Band. We were heavily influenced by those bands. Maybe you can tell in the style.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Yes, this definitely has that Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels vibe going on. Brings back some great memories of seeing those two acts back in the day. Enjoyed this one.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep you can hear that Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels influence.
You did a great job on this. The lyrics reminded me of my youth. Everything about this is top shelf.

This is a winner in my book!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Herb

Very nice vocals and guitars!
As you mentioned on your SoundClick's page this has certainly the scent of the Eagles.
The new one is harder than the old one and the total volume is more maximized.
I cannot say which is better, but I think that the old one has the Eagles feel more.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I had a listen to both the Soundcloud and the Soundclick versions and both sound really good to my ears. I'd have to toss a coin to pick a favourite. First class music all the way.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A fun listen. Definitely from the Marshall Tucker side of town.

The guitars and background vocals are highlights. Nice work on both.

The main vocal is a bit "muffled" sounding. I thought both the drums and bass could use a bit more "punch" (the lead guitar dominants often).

A nice catchiness to the melody (again, quite Tucker sounding).

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - right from the get go, the opening riff is killer! There are tons of highlights here. Your vocal performance is fantastic, especially with the background vocals leading up to hook, and those harmonies at the hook. The groove is fantastic and the whole tune just flows so smoothly. The solos are on point too. I can't think of anything I'd change here, honestly. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio.

You outdid yourself here - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Now this is some great country music, Herb this is just right in my opinion I love songs like this!!!, Wish they were all like this!!! Keep them coming my friend!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey.... thanks for listening everyone. Yeah, this was a fun project to redo.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved this tune Herb. Super vocal. Really like the way you did the guitars. The intro was very cool the way the guitar solos melded together. Very cool..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Yep you can hear that Marshal Tucker and Charlie Daniels influence.
You did a great job on this. The lyrics reminded me of my youth. Everything about this is top shelf.

This is a winner in my book!

I think Mario said it perfectly. This is a great song - glad you gave it some CPR! Great song and performance. A little beyond cool - well, actually, a lot.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Great music and lyrics Herb.

Definitely has the Marshall Tucker vibe.

Super mix.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I almost missed this one. Wow! You really nailed the Marshall Tucker sound - love the song and vocal.

Outstanding work here...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey...again, thanks to everyone listening and commenting. I do appreciate the kind words.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm really glad you revisited this. It's a genre I really like; and you do it very well. I really enjoyed this...especially your phrasing vocally and guitar.

Nice share Herb!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I remember before I took the plunge to buy biab, I researched a lot of the forum.

And the user showcase, especially for the postings of songs, to hear the potential of biab.

You where one of the members that sold me it, By listening to songs like this I knew then that was the sound I wanted.

Now you cannot get a better applause than that!!.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You really captured that Marshall Tucker country rock era vibe on this one Herb. Cool song and loved your vocal, really pretty harmonies and arrangement. Great job. Glad you redid this one and I didn't miss it.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again for listening to the new commenters......

And yes Beatmaster..... that is a high form of applause. You are one of several here who have come to BB via my music and production.

Glad you all got in and heard this before it fades to digital oblivion.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Guitarhacker,

Very Southern Rock; others have nailed it—Tucker, Daniels, etc. Just a fun listen that would play live really well. A head-bobbing tune. Nice job on this one!

Regards,

Deej

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool song Herb!! Guitar is really cool.....harmonies remind me of the Allman Bros., and solo work is kind of Eaglish. I agree with Floyd that the lead vox could use a bit more definition and drums more punch. Really good stuff!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195