Go To
#479302 06/25/18 01:06 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folks,
for the 1st time I actually needed a solo for a song: normally I collaborate with folk who provide melody and solos as I'm rubbish at both.
On my latest track I couldn't find anyone willing or able, due to personal time/work/life/rubbish song constraints, to sing or workout & play a solo.
I managed, rather poorly, to approximate a vocal track but couldn't get a solo happening. Every attempt I've made over the decades has sounded like a bass track played on a guitar!
I resorted to BIAB to fill the gap but the solo instruments RealTracks I have are few & far between - in terms of guitar I could only pull up three different slide parts - one southern style solo, one southern style background and one blues based solo. No standard guitar solos anywhere. I even tried sax etc but the styles they were based in fitted worse than the slide stuff.
I've looked through the stuff on the PG site but it seems I have to go through each RealTrack set to search 1:1 for soloists.
Is there a more efficient way to find solo suited RealTracks than trawling?
I'm prepared to buy a RealTrack set to get something decent but the process is arduous.
Any/all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

In Realtrack Picker, click on the "Tempo" header of the column so that RTs are sorted by tempo. Then scroll down to those tempos that are around the tempo of your song. There's a bit of leeway. Usually, -10 bpm to +15 bpm is a reasonably good range of variations that work for most RTs.

For example, if your song's tempo is 93 bpm, then Realtracks designed for tempos between 83 - 108 (say 80 - 110) will probably work fine.

If you can't see all the text of a column in RT Picker, position the mouse cursor on the right edge of the column in the heading row and drag to the right.

For those who read this and are not sure how to enter Realtrack picker, have look at the top image below.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
realtrack picker 3.JPG (58.2 KB, 114 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
ray...

I have been able to find good, appropriate solos for every song I've produced that needed a guitar solo. (and I've done close to 200 songs using BIAB).

What version of BIAB do you have?

Alternatively, you could ask the guitar guys here on the forum to offer up a solo for you. Tommyc did one for me - he's does some amazing guitar work (posts many in the Showcase). ROG might give it a go. Herb (Guitarhacker) might throw one at you. Dave (BlueAttitude) does nice guitar work. PeterF has been putting out some sweet guitar... Why not ask one of them?...

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
in terms of guitar I could only pull up three different slide parts - one southern style solo, one southern style background and one blues based solo.

Yes it lacks slide, I couldn't find one to fit also !
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=464866

If you don't like or can't use RealBand you can MultiRiff in Biab http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=477210#Post477210

Stanwell Park that's where the Citi Bank tv ad is with the hang gliders, next to where Lawrence Hargrave used to fly his box kites back in the late 1800's.

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Ray,
In Realtrack Picker, click on the "Tempo" header of the column so that RTs are sorted by tempo. Then scroll down to those tempos that are around the tempo of your song. There's a bit of leeway. Usually, -10 bpm to +15 bpm is a reasonably good range of variations that work for most RTs.
Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel,
That's a bit of a short cut and will get me there faster, thanks.
Though it still requires an actual read of text/description to find a "solo" track.
i'll give it a burl tomorrow.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray...
What version of BIAB do you have?
Alternatively, you could ask the guitar guys here on the forum to offer up a solo for you.

Floyd Jane,
Thanks for asking. 2011 is my version though I've bought three additional sets of RealTracks subsequently.
I seem to have bought the sets that don't have much in the way of solos I suppose.
I did start reading through the contents list for ALL the other sets I don't own BUT there's very little to indicated that it's a right for the solo maker. Searches based on SOLO are useless as they bring up all the demos of instruments "solo" rather than in ensemble.
I'm quite happy collaborating but have yet to establish a rapport on forum within which I'm comfortable to ask. I'll get there & there's certainly enough talent around.
Thanks again.

Cheers
rayc
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Rayc, you may also want to expand your search to include 'slide' instruments other than just guitar. I can't say what instrument may or may not work with your particular song but resonators, fiddles and pedal steel guitars all are slide instruments and a quick RT search produced a list of 200 instruments between the three.

I sometimes use more than one instrument for solos, so if you have an 8 or 16 bar solo, you could use two or more instruments to play different sections if you can't get a decent solo from just one instrument. If you get a one or two measure of a great riff, use that and then bring in another instrument for a number of bars and then cut/paste the riff into the solo again.

If slide isn't critical to your song production, pianos and electric pianos work with almost every genre we see frequently here on the forum and there is no shortage of RT's for these instruments.

I hope you get your solo worked out to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 06/28/18 02:33 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It seems I was unclear. I want guitar solos but there aren't any - SLIDE GUITAR is the only type of guitar solo in my ensemble.
As a short term thing I've comped together a couple of slide solos and added some effects to make it better suit the style BUT the song is begging for a clean, sparkling guitar solo to which I'd add delay and possibly a shimmer through reveeb or a TINY bit of chorus, of the sort Magazine, Souixie & The Banshees etc did (mostly with the same guitarist for those two & he used a Roland Jazz Chorus stereo amp).
I've been through the demos online for ALL the available RealTrack sets and found several solo guitar parts but only found one that is clean and not heavily blues inflected & or quite noisy amp based (that's a prob as the noise often stops suddenly when the segments are stitched together much like some ride & crash cymbals in RealDrums).
I'll get there.
Thanks Pipeline & Charlie for you pointers.
Pipeline - yes, I'm at the bottom of the hill that LH used. His boxkite, aero prop & lightweight engine designs were purloined by a couple of bicycle makers who became rather more famous than he.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's the current iteration with semi disguised slide guitar solo...
Slide disguise
The solo starts at 3.00

Last edited by rayc; 06/28/18 12:05 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186