Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
I
Expert
Expert
I
A must for Mac useres.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
A BIG +1

Last edited by thokern; 05/20/18 11:10 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
D
Warnings messages from Apple now appearing when I load it up.

+1 from me too.

Surely it's just a matter of time?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Tee
Surely it's just a matter of time?

We can only guess...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
+1 to this please.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
When I upgrade BiaB/RB, I'm usually not all that interested in "50+ new features" etc.
I'm more likely to upgrade for new & better Real Tracks and Styles, including midi.

Why not introduce a new 64-bit BiaB/RB for those who need and prefer 64-bit,
while continuing to keep the 32-bit version available with minimal updating.

Annual upgrades would make all new features and extras mainly available for 64-bit,
with minimal upgrades (if any) for 32-bit along with whatever extras are suitable.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
SECONDED.

Given that one of the most commonly used plugins is likely to be NI KONTAKT - and given this plugin now - on OSX

ONLY works in 64 Bit mode.

and given that - as clever as JBridge is.... this is a giant - foul-smelling - KLUDGE...

given all this...

please PG - focus your efforts on putting out a 64 bit version of BIAB.

Maybe this requires moving to a new underlying cross-platform framework - and finally biting the bullet on dumping and rewriting all the legacy code in PASCAL from AEONS ago...

and maybe it would mean actually holding off from making a yearly release - just to concentrate on refactoring the entire codebase to something suited to 2020+ - so that next year upgrade is merely the same as 2018 but with lots more real tracks - whatever. I think a lot of your user base would understand having a hiatus in product updates - if they knew that the future of BIAB would be a lot better. Modernised - etc etc..

Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
And if there just isn't a sufficient income coming in from yearly upgrades to justify putting in a huge amount of man-hours in order to totally refactor and rewrite the code-base to make BIAB 100% cross-platform and future proof

.... then maybe its seriously time to consider selling PG music or its BIAB I.P. to another company with the financial resources to actually fund a proper major rewrite of BIAB.

Some company like... maybe.... YAMAHA ?

Their track record in successful takeovers of respected music software companies and pro-audio companies like Line 6 - speaks for itself.

Just saying;

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
After all
....... Imagine if there was seamless connectivity and interoperability between CUBASE and BIAB !

?? !!!

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES !!! !!!

laugh

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
64Bit!

I just do not get it, why a company with such large following has such @%&&% (not very good) designers / programmers? BIAB feels to me like fine, 50 year old cognac (real tracks) that is served in rusty, banged cup.

How can you do a programming like that and look in the mirror with straight face? I feel that either they are deaf or simply leaching to the ones who do not have much choice.

I think they will switch to 64 bit in the next 2-3 years, simply because they will not have choice if they want to survive. And I am sure they want our money.

All they need is 1 smart engineer/designer with long flexible whip to supervise the ones who are just tinkering with ancient mummified code.

Programming and design is 10+ years behind schedule.

P.S. Dear artists that work for PG. Your contribution is just amazing to say the least. Stay alive and well! The rap above meant for people who supervise/ in charge of programming.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Expert
Expert
J
Not to mention the 8.3 naming convention for styles. 8.3 went out when they stop making Windows 3.11

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
64Bit! ....

NO ! that's not me under an alias smile
It might be hard to hear but he does speak the truth.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
64Bit!

I just do not get it,

All they need is 1 smart engineer/designer with long flexible whip to supervise the ones who are just tinkering with ancient mummified code.

You should have stuck with your first thought, because it's a true statement of the facts. The day you present to us a program of similar functionality, is the day your opinion might make any sense to those of us that do understand what it takes to program it.

I can also be critical of the program, but being critical of people you know nothing about is being rather crass. I'm not saying that you don't bring up some good points, but it obviously is not that cut and dry for them.

Who even knows what the legacy code even looks like, but it's no doubt that they need to drastically update the core. I suppose you never heard the saying "You catch more flies with honey?"

Last edited by CoolBreeze; 08/19/18 06:13 PM.

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"Biab is great for Auto Accompaniment, learning and songwriting, as that's what it was designed for, but for any professional use it needs to step up as not everyone uses it just for it's intended purpose. "

That's an interesting point but not a limitation I've encountered. I've encountered Biab limitations where folks have concerns with the final tracks created in BIAB but no concern has been from the way the program itself can manipulate audio.

I have had private conversations with three 'gurus' of home recording web based tutorial channels discussing why they haven't embraced BIAB to improve the quality of tracks the program would bring to countless 'average Joe's and Jill's' they target to teach recording and mixing skills to in cases where those folks don't have the skills or access to top quality musicians to provide tracks for instruments they can't or don't want to play. Cases where maybe they're unable to afford to hire a musician on an ongoing basis. Biab tracks can fill all of those needs.

However, all three rejected using Biab but for reasons that seemed to me to rely on the egotistical idea that a Biab track is cheating and not a real player. Another issue they say is Biab tracks are generic and predictable and the final generation of a track at 44.1/16 is not high enough quality audio to use in a home recording.

None of the three have reviewed and tested the program themselves and each responded generically with what I consider common misconceptions non users usually describe as weakness of the program. In my opinion, given the chance, I could quickly and easily disprove these myths because these experts have no idea what Biab can actually produce.

I can produce a 32 bar X 3 chorus Biab song in a single generation that is so complex that statistically even Dr. Gannon, Andrew, Kent, Deryk, or Ember can replicate it. The available audio, instruments, programming, and manipulatable parameters are so many to make the odds of anything but the most simple programmed generic chord chart unique beyond the point of recognizability as well as the Biab algorithm choosing the same audio phrases between two or more people creating the same song a near impossibility. Multiple generations would amplify those impossible odds. All this can be accomplished within the Biab program without the aid of any other outside program.

Saying all that, I'm interested in learning some of the unintended purposes you may use Biab tracks that can't be generated in it's current form. 44.1/16 is an obvious limitation but I'd bet if either of these three experts and most if not all of the average Joe's and Jill's had the opportunity to have Joe BonaMassa provide a track to one of their recordings but the track could only be in 320 MP3 format, they would use the track with that limitation....

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/20/18 02:43 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
CoolBreeze...

about the people "who I do not know nothing about"
I do not have to know them to see what they do.

For example if lets say you have a plumbing leak and you hire a plumber. While you are not at home your spouse lets plumber in, he puts a roll of duct tape over the leak. Does it mean he "fixed" it? You can say that... Is he a good plumber?

I think function wise BIAB is a fantastic program, but how those functions are implemented into design is just a nohow.

They should learn from Cakewalk, which I love dearly. I stopped using it some years ago because I felt it is not progressing with time. But as soon as they got right people like Noel, program became robust, clean, user friendly, not even to mention first "touch able" DAW (amazing track navigation) for Windows I jumped right in. With recent development with Cakewalk, I believe I will stick to it for years to come. I know they, Cakewalk and BIAB are completely different animals, but I think it is understandable the point I am trying to make.

To put it in another words, I believe that BIAB should not be frugal and hard headed and hire somebody who has vision and listens to user base and redo this unique program right way.

To me biggest drawbacks:
1)Not 64 bit
2)Slow rendering
3)Not intuitive arranger (song structure building especially, a big one for me)
4)Not dock-able /scale-able interface. I wish I can arrange windows the way I want it, and to show on the screen what I want. Cakewalk done a fantastic job on this. You can customize what you want on the screen and where you want it with great ease.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
jbox Offline OP
OP Offline
J
There is one more point we have to consider:

RealTracks may be still a cool sounding thing but this is a technology that is 10 years old. The next big thing™ IMHO will be that the progress machine learning made in the last time will make it`s way into music generating tools.

So it is really questionable whether it makes much sense to rewrite such an obviously mess of a code base.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
[quote=Rustyspoon#]64Bit!

I just do not get it, why a company with such large following has such @%&&% (not very good) designers / programmers? BIAB feels to me like fine, 50 year old cognac (real tracks) that is served in rusty, banged cup.

How can you do a programming like that and look in the mirror with straight face? I feel that either they are deaf or simply leaching to the ones who do not have much choice.

I think they will switch to 64 bit in the next 2-3 years, simply because they will not have choice if they want to survive. And I am sure they want our money.

Programming and design is 10+ years behind schedule.

P.S. Dear artists that work for PG. Your contribution is just amazing to say the least. Stay alive and well! The rap above meant for people who supervise/ in charge of programming. [/quote

What HE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SAID.

( with bells on )

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well I don't think 64 bit is going to happen any time soon.

I think maybe if we put ourselves in the developers shoes we might understand why.

An analogy might be,

You have been fixing up your house for years and years, you are not getting younger and feeling a bit tired. You have it finally the way you want it, and it serves the purpose, will do you for the rest of your life.

A few friends move in with you and start telling you what to do, Knock the whole place down they say, start afresh, build up from the ground. What a job, you say, I'm too tired, it would be such a massive task, in fact I like everything the way it is. I'll wait until someone with more vigour than me comes along to do it, but in the meantime I'm happy enough to let things be. Some of the friends decide to move out, not to worry you think, its still a nice house, I have plenty of other friends that are happy enough with the way it is, and you invite them in.

So there you are, that is how I view biab and whether or not it will go to 64 bit.

Though I could be entirely wrong!

Last edited by musiclover; 08/25/18 02:04 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Although we don't know the real reasons, this is not an impossible or overly ridiculous interpretation...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199