Go To
#479857 06/29/18 03:17 AM
Beginners Forum
P
pelvax Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello!

I opened a midi file. It appears on melody track only. Mean, everything, drums, keys, bass etc.., are merged in the melody track.
How can I separate them and export as multitrack midi. I want to edit instruments separately. Please, help. Thanks.

pelvax #479862 06/29/18 03:45 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi pelvax,

Welcome to the forums.

What you describe is how BIAB works. If a multichannel midi file is loaded, there are two options; the first one is to load all tracks of the file onto the Melody track (as a multichannel midi) and the second one is to load the file onto the Soloist track (also as a multichannel midi).

One of the things that I had to wrap my head around when I first started using the program was that BIAB is not primarily designed as a midi editor... it is backing generating software.

If you want to edit existing midi files, you would be better using a program designed for this. If you purchased BIAB (Windows), then you will have Realband already installed for free and Realband makes working with midi much easier.

When I create multichannel midi in BIAB, what I do is to import the melody and the chords from a file I find on the net. Then I use BIAB's backing generation technology to create accompaniment in whatever style suits what I want to do.

If you don't mind my asking...

Ultimately, what do you want to do with the music you create?

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I'm pretty sure others will jump in and share their opinions, too.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
pelvax #479869 06/29/18 04:29 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Noel is right on the money. Real band is a good midi editor, and so much more. It will also open you .sgu, .mgu etc so you can further edit your BIAB file. Play around with Real band for awhile, you'll soon get comfortable with how it works and you will have so much more flexibility.

Rob

pelvax #479880 06/29/18 05:00 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I would generally go the DAW route for a multi-channel MIDI file, especially if you end up also using MIDI styles, since you can get channel conflicts. That being said, if you click on the "Sequencer" button, you will find that there is still a fair amount of stuff you can do with those channels.

• checkbox whether to play the channel or not
  • ability to re-assign a different general MIDI instrument (keep in mind that since all these MIDI channels are on the same track, they all have to reference the same MIDI synth - you can't assign each one to an individual synth)
  • ability to split the channels for leadsheet notation
  • ability to show or not show the channel in the notation windows
  • Edit - Delete to delete the channel data
  • Edit - Rechannel to assign the data to a different channel
  • Edit - Merge to merge the data with a different channel
  • Edit - Change velocity to change the velocity of the notes on the channel (which effectively changes the volume, depending on your synth, to help better balance the sound with the other channels
  • Edit - Move to soloist track to move all the melody track multi-channel data to the soloist track, thus freeing up the melody track for something else, to include more MIDI data - again, be careful for channel conflicts, or you'll hear the wrong instruments and the wrong volume
  • Edit - Isolate as Melody to move all but the selected channels to the soloist track, leaving the selected track as a single channel melody

Again, a DAW is better for more finely adjusting multi-channel MIDI, but as you can see, you can still do a fair amount of massaging within the Sequencer feature of BIAB.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
pelvax #479977 06/29/18 12:22 PM
Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If you go to the piano roll on the Melody track, you can select the channel to show (Ghost will show the other channel notes in light gray), select all notes on that channel, cut, go to another track in the piano roll, paste.

pelvax #480051 06/30/18 03:15 AM
Beginners Forum
P
pelvax Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello!

Thanks everybody for useful answers. To Noels question: I use the BeatBuddy drummachine pedal and it works with midifiles and it can produce not just drum backing, but drum with bass, keys etc.., also. It came with factory prepared tracks(they are just drums), but users made a lot of custom kits, with other instruments. Preference of this pedal v.s. other drumstuff is the ability to have fills, change the verse, chorus parts of the song in live situations handsfree, which gives us more flexibility, instead of classic karaoke style backing track. And again, in live situations. Anyway, in short, the process is following: I want to edit the song to my BB pedal. I find on internet the midi of the song.Say, I need just drums and bass from it. Open the midi in BIAB, and pull out drums and bass only. Why BIAB? Because it gives me complex arrange of bass and drums in the style, what I need and I don't have to record them separately. It's pretty time saver thing. Another way is, that I write chords via chord builder of the song in a new project in BIAB and it generates everything for me. So, I want to cut the song to intro, verse, chorus etc., end then put this midies to my pedal. Hope my description is clear. But some songs appears in BIAB as, one track in melodist. That's my problem. Will tweaking around your solutions. Thanks again for kindly helpful answers. Regards.

pelvax #480054 06/30/18 03:52 AM
Beginners Forum
P
pelvax Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello Pipeline!

Not clear what to do after pasting to another channel. Succeeded to separate the drum channel in pianoroll, cut it, paste it, and then?

pelvax #480080 06/30/18 09:00 AM
Beginners Forum
P
pelvax Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have the solution. Opened midi with Guitar Pro 5. It splits multichanel merged midi to separate instruments automatically in a moment. Yes, BIAB is for different thinks. Thanks for everybody.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199