Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There has been some on and off discussion over the years about what Band-in-a-Box can’t do, yada yada, yada, and what I would like to spend this summer and the rest of the year listening to from composers and songwriter’s is this:

A song, or songs that you feel really proud of that showcase some “amazing” aspect of Band-In-a Box.

Let me give you an example from my own wheelhouse: I am working on creating a signature style for myself in cinematic “epic” soundscapes and trailers. I discovered that the EDM styles in Band-In-a-Box are a goldmine to use in combination with orchestral libraries. Essentially, I have a 3 step workflow that includes a.) writing a simple, symphonic score, b.) add sound effects c.) add EDM tracks and mixing (often with three or more busses, one for the orchestra, one for SFX, one for RTs.) What comes out in the final mix blows my mind and I could not imagine taking the EDM stuff out now. It makes it—and gives me a sonic edge I don’t think people are going to be able to cop so quickly.

In YOUR favorite areas of composition—songwriters, and composers—I would love to hear some tracks you believe have an “amazing” aspect to them due to the use of Band-in-a-Box in some form.

This could be ANY genre. Any notes on recording techniques and special mixing plug-ins would be a plus. You don’t have to give away the secret sauce, of course, but anything you want to share would be great as I am on a steep learning curve learning how to incorporate Band-in-a-Box’s awesome features and other mixing and mastering tools in the overall workflow.

In other words, I am not saying “Let’s see if you can write something that sounds great” etc. because I know you already ARE doing that. I just want to keep my focus of learning narrowly focused on those people who are as blown away by Band-in-a-Box as I am and who want to share some of their personal favorite “amazing mixes” with fellow songwriters. This would not be a critiquing thread, just “here is something I am proud of, and here is how I did it.” Not a place to critique or sermonize or point out faults, just a place to show some best practices and cool experimentations. A thread for composers, by composers and of composers/songwriters. It would differentiate somewhat from the larger showcase by not being “here is my latest song”—but rather, here is something I think is wicked cool thanks to BIAB and here is a little info on how I did it.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone adds a song to this thread I will be all over it like white on rice, as we say here in North Carolina. It will be on the top of the stack of my listening throughout the summer and the rest of 2018. I know we are all busy so lengthy commentaries are not necessary. A smiley face could suffice, as in “Oh yeah. That’s what I’m talking about.”

smile

Here is something I just did that I am proud of.

I am using EDM tracks straight from EDM style picker on top of classical tracks laid in an earlier template.

I mixed the classical part down first then put it into board two to add the SFX and EDM.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsfilmmusic/dark-night-of-the-soul

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Great post David!

Over the years I have amassed quite the collection of libraries like Kontakt and Komplete but I have yet to have the time or understanding or motivation to try and mix those up with BIAB. I think I'm a little spoiled/lazy because of how easy BIAB can put together something so close to complete but I would be really interested in seeing how others are integrating it with all of the amazing tools out there today.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hey thanks John,

I just edited the OP to add something that is an example from me. It is REALLY simple musically. Not much to it actually. Just some work in the key of A minor, starting off below middle C and building from there, hopscotching across the scale on my keyboard.

Then I added the EDM parts, using the ACW to tell me what I was doing and tweaking the chords. No A2s!!! It's film, people. Only A minor allowed! smile

There is NO WAY on God's green earth I could have gotten this sound without the Band-in-Box EDM stuff. It pushes it over the top I think, and I am sure people will be saying: "How the.....did he do that?"

Now you know but I ain't tellin' nobody else.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Dark Night of the Soul sounds good.

I'd suggest that it needs to be more interesting. Essentially, new things have to come in on a regular basis. It could be adding a percussion part in one section, then a repeating piano riff in the next, but something different needs to be occurring. What you have is a good basis for doing this.

I listened for a bit, then jumped through the piece randomly. It sounded pretty much the same at every jump in point.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Herb. I will keep that in mind as I go forward.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David, you have done what I have been doing for a long time. That is using styles from one genre in another genre. I have used country styles in jazz and visa-versa. I have taken styles, slowed them way down, and turned them into either new age or ambient. I can do this because, as you know, I work mostly in MIDI so I do not have the RT limitations. Now people don't get mad as I do have the MIDI limitations to consider and I do use RTs on occasion.

When I hear people talk about only wanting (type in a style of your choice, jazz, country etc) styles they are missing one of the biggest assets of BiaB/RB and that is using genres differently, i.e. just it is jazz doesn't mean you can't use it in other genres. They are also missing a chance to try other styles and expand their expertise. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I'd like to add a quick note to your thread just to clarify the phrase "What BIAB can/cannot do".

As I see it, there are two schools of thought in relation to this phrase.

= = =

1. "What BIAB can/cannot do" in relation to...

• select a style
  • enter a chord progression on the chordsheet
  • generate the chord backing
  • maybe record an audio track in BIAB
  • save the backing (and any recording) as a completed song file

This is using BIAB as a 'one stop shop' for making and obtaining backing.

= = =

2. "What BIAB can/cannot do" in relation to...

• select a style
  • enter a chord progression on the chordsheet
  • generate the chord backing
  • save some or all of the generated tracks
  • regenerate to obtain variations of some or all of the above tracks
  • change some of the tracks to other other instruments and regenerate and save new tracks
  • open a DAW and load in the BIAB-created tracks
  • maybe add additional audio (instrumental and/or vocal)
  • arrange, compile and mix the BIAB-created tracks to make a song backing
  • render the mix using the DAW to a single audio file

This second approach is using BIAB as one of the tools in a music-making arsenal of tools.

= = =

For my songs, I mostly use BIAB as just one of the tools in my toolbox (#2). Sometimes for jazz or folk backings or collaborative thoughts, though, the first approach does the job more than adequately.

In the threads that I've read over the years that discuss BIAB's ability to do or not do certain genres of music, contributors often seem to confuse the above two uses of BIAB.

My view is that in relation to the 'one stop shop' approach (#1), BIAB has limitations mostly because it only has seven tracks to work with (eight tracks if 'Audio' is counted) and expert control over production and mixing is modest.

In relation to approach #2, though, all that anyone is limited by is his or her imagination. As a music creating tool used in conjunction with other music-creating tools, BIAB is a treasure chest.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
"... BIAB is a treasure chest."

That's the way I've always thought of it. There are lots of cool styles but I've always enjoyed rolling my own even when using just the real tracks. It's a huge part of the fun and making the sound your own.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario,

I would love to hear a link(s) to some of the pieces you are most proud of with production notes.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dear Professor Noel,

Thanks for the elaboration and I apologize for using sloppy shorthand.

When I say "Band-in-a-Box" that is shorthand to me for ALL the stuff you can do using PG Music software whether that is a.) finding a style b.) generating .wav audio tracks from BIAB per se c.) opening a BIAB file in Real Band and generating 100 more .wav tracks d.) rolling your own as Josie would say and using those tracks as part of a project IN ADDITION TO other tools such as orchestra samples or live recorded tracks inside a DAW.

I think the beginner's forum does a great job of covering the basics, and you can see it is already hundred of pages and posts long with questions about the basics.

What I thought this thread would be good for was for people to post some examples of accomplishments where they felt they were able to achieve "amazing things" using PG Music products (midi, BIAB styles, track generation whatever) as part of a PRODUCTION where other elements were used as well.

Also, I see this as a non-critiquing thread: i.e.. not "It would have been a whole lot better if you had..." but just a place to share some sound design achievements as education so we can all learn.

Once you start down the road of "it would have been a lot better if...." people tend to lose their joy and the posts stop coming.

We have enough places on the forum for that already.

As an example, there is another forum on the web I never visit anymore. A guy from Sweden posted a song his son had written and they had used a lot of the family savings to hire an orchestra to record it. Someone posted "aside from having no melody and being boring even for pop I suppose it was passable." I am trying to avoid that like the plague. If people are going to be vulnerable enough to post productions that are dear to them, I would like this to be a place for sharing accomplishments in an environment that is safe from the kind of remarks I just mentioned or the posts will stop and there will be no more education.

Allow people to revel a little bit and pick up some tips and leave it at at that.

So, fellow composers, I love to hear some of your great accomplishments! I am trying to learn!!

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Josie,

"Rolling your own" is where it is at.

I suppose I am talking about "rolling your own" on the most grandiose scale imaginable.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Mr. Snyder...

I am finishing a production that includes a number of BIAB EDM-style synth tracks. You are not alone...

Another area that has been mostly ignored are the BIAB Punk tracks.

When they first appeared (BIAB2016), I worked up a Punk song.
I do not recall another Punk song in the Showcase since then...
..which seems a shame - they are amazing tracks...

A link to the original post (includes the tracks used):
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=331352#Post331352

...or a link to just the song:
http://floydjane.com/Songs/Matters.htm

(And, yes, I am proud of what I accomplished.)

CRANK it.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool, David! +1 from me.

And floyd, MAN! Forget about doing country stuff, that was freakin' awesome!!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Another example of "AMAZING" BIAB things...

I produced a song including "Latin flavorings" - which I doubt I could have gotten even close to without BIAB providing great tracks in areas that are not necessarily "natural to me"...

I allowed me to produce Ybor City Lullaby with the sound that I had always envisioned it having...

The original post:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=325947#Post325947

The BIAB tracks...
RealDrums in style: SalsaGuajira^1-a:BongoFills, b:Bells
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RealTracks in style: 1958:Bass, Baby, Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1959:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1960:Tres, Rhythm Guajira Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1004:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockStrumming Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1292:Accordion, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1770:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinChords Ev16 130
RealTracks in song: 659:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockChop Ev 120 (B:8ths)
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 809:Guitar, Electric, Soloist DrivingCountryBallad Ev 065

...or just the song:
http://floydjane.com/Songs/Ybor.htm

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Your song sounds very cinematic David. I can easily hear this in a Batman sequel.

For me, my favorite use of Band-in-a-Box in some form of an amazing achievement is to utilize BIAB as an 8 track multitrack recorder. BIAB stacks up extremely well with stand alone units from Tascam, Zoom and others. Applying the principles that artists use when recording with stand alone multitrack players to BIAB yields some quite remarkable results and actually makes BIAB more versatile than the stand alone units in many instances.

(Take Note Noel96, I saw your post after I'd written this. ) First, BIAB is not limited to 8 tracks nor to 8 individual instruments. You can have as many tracks and instruments as you want and all without degradation of the audio quality. Each of the 8 tracks can have 10 instances of instrument change outs. Because BIAB is 'reading ahead', it creates very smooth transitions automatically. You can also choose to render any or all of the 8 tracks to WAV and import that mix back into your song and move it to a track as a performance track then change styles, add new tracks (with multiple instruments on the track if desired, mix and render that, import a performance track again and keep repeating this process until you are satisfied. All of the editing, chord construction, vst plugins are completed digitally and no audio is produced until the song is rendered.

Unlike a stand alone unit where audio has to be exported to a DAW to apply high quality pro VST's, you have direct access to any registered VST or DXI as well as the stock BIAB plugins. It's a huge benefit to have this time saving feature immediately available as you are constructing a song.

For beginners and artists who are transitioning from an analog or digital stand alone unit to a computer based software, BIAB can be a comfortable and familiar feeling program. Many artists, using multitrack principles they are already familiar with can quickly produce quite advanced productions without having to learn DAW's or exporting back and forth between BIAB and a DAW.

Here is a song that I completed the instrument track using BIAB as a multitrack recorder as I detailed above.

My Sad Story

Production notes: My recollection this ended up being about 17 tracks. Several of the instruments are duplicated on several tracks and I muted and unmuted the instruments between the two tracks in various places throughout the song.

As a songwriting tool, even if you are using this technique as a scratchpad or demo and plan to export individual files for a more professional DAW production in the future, you can speed up your workflow as well as create a complex demo all 'in the box' and not have to export and import tracks between a DAW and BIAB interrupting your train of thought.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/03/18 03:55 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Punk Floyd,

and the album cover!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha!!! OMG!

Dude that was awesome. And I just checked out the punk tracks.

How did I miss those? NOW I know what I will be adding to film score stuff for the rest of the year. Night of the Living Rotting Zombie Apocalypse Dawn of the Seventh Seal: Part 8.

Thanks bro! Perfect!

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Dave!

But remember, this thread is about YOU dude.

Batter up!!!!

Give us some tips!

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Holy Cow Floyd,

All I have to do is book this one post and I will be working 24/7 for the next 12 months.

Yes, This is this exactly what I wanted to see happen.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Great stuff Charlie, thanks!!!!!

I love that song!!! I did the first time too. smile

As for the multi-track recorder aspect, I think the work flow you have described is very cool.

However, I pick a basic foundation in BIAB and then open that in Real Band for my work flow. (Just a different approach.)

REAL BAND is my WONDERLAND.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people poo poo Real Band as a DAW. Where else can you go and order up (read: generate) an instant .wav string section, horn section, steel, resonator, thousands of guitars, live singers, whatever you want? Answer: nowhere else!

Also I record ALL of my audio in Real Band. Why? Because it never clips and it is easy as heck to edit in there, you can edit down to the millisecond whereas Sonar will drive you out of your mind if you try and edit within a measure.

Anyhoo, I do all my audio rendering and recording and editing in Real Band, THEN I export all files as individual .wavs and MIX in Sonar. Not record, but MIX. For recording, I am going with Real Band baby.

On the song I posted up top:

Yeah, I submitted two versions of that tune, one with a choir at about 2:35. (BTW, I just got shortlisted for something else that was vastly inferior, in my own opinion, so we will see. This is much more advanced, I think, owing to the inclusion of those EDM tracks.)

There is a build around 1:35.

With film stuff there is a real fine line between adding stuff and keeping it somewhat monotonous. I discuss this with buddies in LA all the time.

If you watch shows like "The Last Kingdom" and stuff like that, you will notice A LOT of monotony and repetition during fight scenes, conquests, battles at sea, etc. But then when they put in their own sword clashes, thuds, screams, etc. whatever, it rounds it out.

I think for some stuff you have to leave room for them to add their own gunshots so to speak.

It is tricky, and every composer is kind of in a no man's land of guessing after a certain point.

That is why I submit multiple versions...

and keeping studying, and experimenting.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Thanks Dave!

But remember, this thread is about YOU dude.

Batter up!!!!

Give us some tips!

Ok, I'll bite!

I've always liked this one we did a couple of years ago after I discovered that BIAB added support for loops: 99 Degrees

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,614
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194