Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
OP Offline
C
Hi. New user here. My wife is the music teacher. I do recording but am new to computer software recording and things midi.

The main issue with our first project was a built-in repeat (with a 3 on it) that I had a hard time getting rid of. Finally made it go away but can't seem to remember how.

Any suggestions as to how to setup so that when starting a "new" song there are no repeats already there?

...or quick way to remove? Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Band-In-A-Box defaults to a chorus definition of starting at bar 1, for 32 bars, with 3 repeats. Next to the tempo designation on the screen, you will see those three numbers: 1 - 32 - 3. Just click on the "3" and change it to "1" and your song will only play one time through.

I don't know of a way to change that default, but it only takes a second to change the number. Likewise, you would probably have to change the 2nd number, as well, to correspond to the length of your song, so it isn't too difficult to do.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Also, note if you have an intro, say 8 bars, then you would have the first box say 9. This can be very useful if the first part of the song is not just a simple intro but a completely different part from the rest. You could have the chorus start at bar 51 if you wanted to and use the first 50 bars as an extended section as opposed to just an intro. The chorus starting at bar 51 could be say 40 bars long so box 1 would be 51, box 2 would be 40, have the choruses repeat as many times as you wanted as indicated in box 3. Then you still have 1st, 2nd endings within the choruses and a tag or coda for the end. Biab is very flexible once you learn it. This means you could create an opus with a long first section with an intro as part of it, multiple repeats in the middle using choruses and 1st/2nd endings and a third section could be an extended 30-40 bar tag or coda going to a final ending. With all of this plus some creative thinking on your part you can create pretty much any song form you need in Biab.
This is an extreme example, some people working with something that complex would not use any choruses or repeats, just do the whole thing as one long aong. This is referred to as "unfolding" the song. The only thing is there's a hard coded 255 bar limit. If you really need more bars than that, then you move it into Real Band.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Chris or Deanna, don't forget, there is also a Loop checkbox to the right of the song name. It is checked (on) by default, and you may want to uncheck it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for quick response. We looked in the manual but just couldn't find what we needed to know quickly enough. It's probably there somewhere.

J
J-J Offline
J
Brand new to all this PC software thing, I had the same question making me crazy for the last couple days. Great to the point answers with some extra bonus points in the other replies as well, great to have a place to go and listen to folks that have done it and know. Thank you to everyone.
J-J

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forums, J-J.

If something isn't making sense to you and you want answers, don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of people here who will jump in and try to solve the issue.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
R
The latest version of BIAB seems to have a default of 5 choruses, not 3. I almost always practice a song 3, maybe 4 times.

I know I can change the number of times thru manually, but I have literally 1000's of bb songs from previous versions and it is a pain in the neck to have to change the number of choruses for every song I have made, and then save the changes.

Does anyone know ho to change the default settings?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RobertLLR
The latest version of BIAB seems to have a default of 5 choruses, not 3. I almost always practice a song 3, maybe 4 times.
Does anyone know ho to change the default settings?

Can you advise what the latest version that you are using is?
(I have never seen a default of anything other than 3 choruses, that's why I'm interested to know the version you are using.)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
As a workaround, you could create a song with the parameters you want and save it as a template. Even better, if you know how, make that song read-only.

Then, each time you want to create a new song, open the template and Save As to give it a new name when you save it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Have you set the option to force all songs to have a set number of choruses?

Have a look at the menu Play->Looping->Force loaded songs to # choruses.

This seems to be 5 by default.

HTH

Andy

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Good call, Andy. If looping is on, then this is probably the reason the 5 choruses was mentioned. I never have looping on.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andy,

Thanks for passing on that. I have never once stumbled across this feature regarding looping before.

That's today's BIAB lesson!

Thanks again,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Chris or Deanna
.. our first project was a built-in repeat (with a 3 on it) that I had a hard time getting rid of. Finally made it go away but can't seem to remember how.

Any suggestions as to how to setup so that when starting a "new" song there are no repeats already there?

...or quick way to remove? Thanks.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so not sure if this helps (but it drove me nuts years ago)

On the main screen is a Choruses option. It defaults to 3.
This may be how you made it go away before and don't recall now.
Change the number for Choruses.
In the below image I right-clicked the number 3 .. in 2018 and previous versions this option may have appeared differently.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB_Choruses_2019.jpg (49.55 KB, 94 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Wow, something that Noel didn't know smile

Just to clarify slightly. Normally the number of choruses for a song is set by the menu option rharv has described. The menu option I mentioned lets you override this setting for all songs as they are loaded. By default it sets the number of choruses to 5, but you can change that.

Then there is a separate "loop" tick box. This loops the whole song, intro, number of choruses, tag etc. until you tell it to stop.

You don't need this loop to be on for the first menu option to take effect, in case that is what you thought videotrack was suggesting.

Regards

Andy

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andy Ling
Wow, something that Noel didn't know smile

Yes, rare, indeed grin

Veteran
Veteran
Not that rare, Andy and Trev!

It is highly unlikely that a week will go by where I don't pick up something that I don't know about BIAB from someone on these forums smile BIAB is such an incredible piece of software with immense possibilities and capabilities lurking under the hood... I'm still enjoying learning after 13 years! (And except for the times I've been in hospital, I've used it for at least a couple of hours pretty much every day during those 13 years.)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199