Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Sorry for this quick post, so near after the last, but I'm headed out on vacation and wanted to get some constructive help on this track I've been working on..please help me improve/finish it when I get back, your comments most appreciated!

Harlem Bop

-----------------------------------------

Well, small-town jazzman makes the Apple;
Don't know a soul a-tall;
Last gig was Wesley Chapel;
First stop: find the union hall.

Heard about some midnight jammin'
Jumped the A train way uptown;
Found the spot on Amsterdam and
Heard that swingin' boppin' sound.

Sax sings sweet and bass keeps thumpin'
And the solo's never stop;
Groovin' beat is really sumpin'
They're calling it the Harlem Bop!

Hopped up to the smokin' bandstand,
Time to show my down-home chops;
Dipped my toe into the groovin' jam and
Laid my solo's on the Harlem Bop.

On the street they catch the rhythm
Hit the dance floor 'n never drop;
Folks keep truckin' and the band's right with 'em,
Whole house swingin' with the Harlem Bop.

Small-town jazzman's got his night-spot
Where the groove-sound never stops;
Folks go rockin' with the best the band's got,
Then we finish with the Harlem Bop.
------------------------
Style is _JFREDFS.STY (Fast Jazz w/ Fred Guitar)
RT's: 752 Acoustic BeBop Bass, 755 Bebop Piano, 1098 JazzSwingFredd Guitar, 437 Jazz Sax Solo, 462 Jazz Trumpet Solo
I used a lot of midi solo's for Bebop type jazz: Miles, Coltrane, Bird, etc.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great intro - it really sets the tone.

I expected the vocal to start right after the clarinet, so the piano following made me wonder if it was an instrumental. I'd cut that part out.

I loved the groove and the overall song.

Does "makes" here implies to me that the singer has "makes the big time in the Big Apple" instead of "makes it to":

Well, small-town jazzman makes the Apple;

Substituting "hits" might work better, only you use that word later.

This line works, but I'm rarely a fan of forcing in too much text into a line:

Dipped my toe into the groovin' jam and

It does fit the style, though.

The ending notes on "Harlem bop" are all the same note - I'd prefer something a bit more cadential.

Where'd you get the horns? They sound like Blue Street Brass.

Nice song! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Great suggestions David.. Thanks.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Instrumentally, the stuff that happens at the end (a full band kind of thing) seems "out of the blue" and unnecessary. Better to stick with the things that have been playing through the rest of the song. The clarinet and piano are nice.

Lyrically, there are a number of places where you could drop little words to get better prosody.

Sax sings sweet, bass keeps thumpin'
the solo's never stop;
Groovin' beat is really sumpin'
They call it the Harlem Bop!

Dipped my toe in the groovin' jam
Laid my solo on the Harlem Bop.

Folks keep truckin', the band right with 'em,
everyone swingin' with the Harlem Bop.

All just ideas, since you asked.
It's a good start...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I am not quite sure I understand the assignment.

I listened to it, and it is a nice jazz piece, and the lyrics and delivery are individual and distinct in voice as your other pieces are.

There would be NUMEROUS things I could say, but in these types of cases I always figure the artist did what they wanted to do.

With the sense of time urgency could you give some ideas on what you would like to have feedback on?

When I am asking for rapid feedback, I ask for things like:

Is the tempo right
Does it have the right feel
Is it catchy?
Is it too busy?
Is the melody ok, can it be improved?
Thoughts on the vocals?
Thoughts on mix?
Thoughts on effects..
Instrumentation..
and so forth

Just to be helpful, with no direction, people would be guessing, as I am now.

I can say it has a fun feel to it, but in terms of something you might want to do sometime with (and specifically what that is) I would have no idea what to say until I know what you want to do with it, and what you think might need fixing.

I am saying all of this now because this might help for future requests of this type.

Thanks!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey David... I didn't mean to ask for Rapid feedback... I'll be on vacation for about a week and a half. Just looking for some things I can take action on by the time I get back. I'm not sure I like the way that it ends, I'm not sure that I like the way I combine solos at the end, I think in certain cases the lyrics might be too cute, those kinds of things.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Instrumentally, the stuff that happens at the end (a full band kind of thing) seems "out of the blue" and unnecessary. Better to stick with the things that have been playing through the rest of the song. The clarinet and piano are nice.

I'll echo this. Although the brass is nice, they sound synthy and the effects don't match the rest of the mix.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I agree with all these comments! .. Thanks Floyd and David... I'll be doing some refinin' when I get back to my studio..

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Hey David... I didn't mean to ask for Rapid feedback... I'll be on vacation for about a week and a half. Just looking for some things I can take action on by the time I get back. I'm not sure I like the way that it ends, I'm not sure that I like the way I combine solos at the end, I think in certain cases the lyrics might be too cute, those kinds of things.

Hey Tano,

This is very interesting from an artist "gut check" standpoint. I think you have answered your own questions. I learned long ago, that if I asked someone:

"Are the lyrics too confusing?" the answer was YES.

If I asked "Is the lead guitar solo too sloppy?" the answer was YES.

If I asked "Is the ending too choppy?" the answer was YES.

In other words, your gut will always make you ask questions on the very things that are bothering you, and if they are still bothering you, that is exactly what you need to work on.

I keep going over stuff, again and again and again and again, over and over and over until I can finally hear it play back and go:

"Yeah."

Make sense?

smile

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Tano:

I find this song to be very inventive. I like how you went back to give us a glimpse of the past. Good choice on your instrumentation choices. Don't fret about perfecting this because there is no such thing. It really doesn't matter what other's may think about it as long as you like it and you've done your best based on your experience, who cares!

You either like it or not. There's plenty of music out there that I wouldn't give 2 cents for. What I like in music (of any type) is what is the writer trying to convey. If he's successful, I'll get it.

My motto is: If you like it, say something encouraging to the song writer regardless; even you don't like it overall. If the writer is serious, he will improve. the idea is to keep trying and learning.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: "You ain't gonna please everyone...so please yourself and hope that others will hear your joy and love it too!!!

Sorry for the Sermon,
Dave

Also, please go to: https://soundcloud.com/davebrooksmusicfactory

HP Pavilion p6-2330; 1T; GB: 22; AMD Processor; Focusrite Scarlett Solo; Line mixer: Seismic Landsland-12p; DAW's: BIAB, Pro Tools 2018.8.1 HD; Wave Pad Sound Editor.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
As always, you do throw your own flare on to everything. I agree with the sentiment that the lyrics started quite later then I had expected. Overall for a work in progress I think it has a lot of potential as a song!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks David and Dave!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Ember!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really liked the tune. Super vocal and backtrack

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Tom

Nice jazz tune!
It makes me feel 1930's or 1940's.
The jazz vocal tunes at that time sometimes have got long intro.
So, the piano following after the clarinet at intro is not bad.
Your vocal are fits this perfectly.
I am looking forward to what kind of finished product it will be.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Great song, but my initial thoughts are that the tempo is not the best.

I think it's too rushed, and would work better just a little slower where it finds a groove it can sit in. I think it would swing better that way.

The vocals seem to be crammed in, barely with enough time to start the next phrase. Sort of like all the punctuation marks have been removed.

Just my thoughts. Maybe that was the intention.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Scott, Shigeki, VideoTrak...thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Love the groove, love your vocals, and love the flow of this. It all work so well. It got my toe tapping instantly. This is precisely the kind of tune I can imagine sounding unreal live. It's a lovely throwback to the sound of the 40's, but with a unique modern twist.

Really nice on this one Tano - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I think asking for feedback and receiving constructive and civil comments are a hallmark of this forum. Lyrics have never been my (Bud) strong suit but regarding the arrangement I think you have already received some very helpful comments and anything we said would be redundant.

We love music of the era this represents and feel that it is well worth some fine tuning.

Nice!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
But... I wholeheartedly agree that seeking constructive feedback from the accomplished composers and songwriters in this form is one of the key benefits... I think we all like unfettered compliments, but in order to grow we also can benefit from the vision and perspective of others.

I sometimes find that I am too deep in the forest in order to be able to see the trees if that makes sense so getting some outside views is really helpful Thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195