Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
RockPaperScissors

Sweltering in a recent heatwave and choking on forest fire smoke - both recurring summer events in these parts- I got climate change confused with a nursery rhyme, political humbug with a silly game, and came up with this.
Scott didn`t raise an eyebrow and delivered the feisty twin guitars.
My first try at mastering with Ozone 8, so comments on that or any other aspect of the song are welcome.

RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, Southern
RealTracks in song: 2905:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BrightBluesyPopColin Ev 100
RealDrums in song: Rock,Southern
RT2619 Organ,Rhythm Funk

Rock Paper Scissors

King`s in his counting house
counting worthless money
Queen`s in the parlour
eating the last bread and honey
cook can`t find a blackbird
to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out
through a hole in the sky
four and twenty ministers
deciding who to blame
as soon as they finish
another round of their game

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
too late to stop
its so damn hot

maid says there`s no garden
all the taps went dry
raised the castle drawbridge
shut out the cries
priests count regrets
on a rosary
poets scrawl on the walls
the land`s obituary

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
too late to stop
so damn hot

the King calls for ice!
to chill his martini
who`s gonna tell him
it melted in the sea

rock paper scissors
tick tock tick tock
there won`t be a winner
its so damn hot
is it too late to stop?

© Robert Cordrey Aug.2018

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert / Scott,

This is really outstanding! Great rock song - love the Clapton-like sounds Scott is getting... Great vocal and production Robert.

Simply great all around!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This was another fun project.
Used two different guitars for each part.
PRS P24 for the main part
Gibson Les Paul for the second part
Amp is a Ceriatone CWreck
Maxon tube screamer

Last edited by Scott C; 08/25/18 07:31 AM.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Beautiful job guys! Loved the guitar ring. It rocks! Really enjoyed it. Thx for sharing.

Dave

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert & Scott,

I dig it when y'all "get your San Fransisco on". This one goes there big time.

Good psych rock write. The BAND works great for it - good choices. And a good mix.

Scott - your guitar on this is cool - again, sounds like it came right out of early 70's SF rock scene...

(I though you could have gotten wilder with the vocal effects).

Really enjoyed this. Great feel.

fj

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I love this!!! Trippy song, and Scott's riffs were a perfect ingredient to decorate this soup of sound! Some great lyrics:

to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out

John Lennon is turning in his grave, saying "Why didn't I think of that?"

Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert /Scott

Sound great - nicely mastered Robert and love the guitar part Scott added to this.
Really great work by both of you - great stuff.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice guys, you handle the late 60’s vibe so well!

Cool lyrics as always, and the twin guitar attack works well.

Just a very nice overall feel to this one.

Great collab as always Robert and Scott, enjoyed the listen!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Fun song! What I like best about it was the melodic theme that you carried throughout that’s based on the rock paper scissors… I thought that your lyric idea of mixing all those topic elements worked out really great… Gives a listener the impression that they “kind of” know what you’re talking about, but not quite—a little bit of mystery there! The live guitar elements were outstanding.

My only element the feedback is in the use of the words “rosary/obituary”—to my ears, when you create a rhyme that makes an unnatural emphasis (ros-a-REE), it comes off less smooth to the ear than maybe some other word choice that has a natural emphasis in the last syllable—just my opinion.

Really enjoyed you work, the collaboration, and the mos creative idea. Hope things have cooled down!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert and Scott,

Hehe! wish we had some more hot weather.

Nice guitar from Scott and a great song from you.
Sounds good here.
enjoyed

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

This is really outstanding! Great rock song - love the Clapton-like sounds Scott is getting... Great vocal and production Robert.

Simply great all around!

Bob

Bob,

This started out much more country blues than rock... then I asked Scott to try the l/r dueling guitars and it got alot more enenergetic.
Glad you liked it!

Robert

Originally Posted By: GocartMoz
Beautiful job guys! Loved the guitar ring. It rocks! Really enjoyed it. Thx for sharing.

Dave

Thank you, Dave!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert & Scott,

I dig it when y'all "get your San Fransisco on". This one goes there big time.

Good psych rock write. The BAND works great for it - good choices. And a good mix.

Scott - your guitar on this is cool - again, sounds like it came right out of early 70's SF rock scene...

(I though you could have gotten wilder with the vocal effects).

Really enjoyed this. Great feel.

fj

Floyd,

The inspiration for the music on this started with listening to Sun Zoom Spark ( Beefheart), so you are close to the mark on the psych part... actually I kind of wished I could swallow sandpaper or something to rough up my voice to get more of that attitude into the vocals. Maybe there`s a Nectar preset for that, but I haven`t found it yet.
Your feedback is most appreciated.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert/Scott, very nice collaboration! Robert, you've offered up some super great lyric content again and I really liked the sound you have on guitar in this Scott! The guitar and vocal played off each other nicely! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 08/26/18 02:16 PM.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Whoah!!!!!!!!

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sings;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the crimson king..

Wait, wrong song!

Man you guys had me tripping so hard I had a flashback and I thought my neighbor's face was a skeleton head.

This is so utterly cool, it's outrageous.

Totally King Crimson though.

And that's all right!! Magical, dudes.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! I'm loving this one - the groove, the guitar work, your vocals, the lyrics - it all comes together here. It flows magnificently, and has an almost epic feel to it. The sound is gigantic, and almost forces your attention. I can't help but imagine how great this would sound live.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert/Scott, excellent collaboration! Loved the lyrics and the guitar soloing. The insistent melody's stuck in my head now!
cool crazy

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This song was a really cool one. I really love the artist choices you made. Awesome job, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Groovy!

love the phrasing, guitars rock mucho

cool song

great write

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I love this!!! Trippy song, and Scott's riffs were a perfect ingredient to decorate this soup of sound! Some great lyrics:

to bake in a pie
birds and bees flew out

John Lennon is turning in his grave, saying "Why didn't I think of that?"

Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
After writing this I thought " bet there are a bunch of songs with that title"... apparently not.
You picked my favourite verse to quote, so thank you!

Robert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert /Scott

Sound great - nicely mastered Robert and love the guitar part Scott added to this.
Really great work by both of you - great stuff.

Peter

Peter,
Thank you - I agree Scott`s guitars here are cool and its good to know the production sounds ok (I really like that Tonal Balance plugin for Ozone8).
Cheers,

Robert

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice guys, you handle the late 60’s vibe so well!

Cool lyrics as always, and the twin guitar attack works well.

Just a very nice overall feel to this one.

Great collab as always Robert and Scott, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks for being a regular listener and supporter of our collaborations, Dave!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Fun song! What I like best about it was the melodic theme that you carried throughout that’s based on the rock paper scissors… I thought that your lyric idea of mixing all those topic elements worked out really great… Gives a listener the impression that they “kind of” know what you’re talking about, but not quite—a little bit of mystery there! The live guitar elements were outstanding.

My only element the feedback is in the use of the words “rosary/obituary”—to my ears, when you create a rhyme that makes an unnatural emphasis (ros-a-REE), it comes off less smooth to the ear than maybe some other word choice that has a natural emphasis in the last syllable—just my opinion.

Really enjoyed you work, the collaboration, and the mos creative idea. Hope things have cooled down!!

Yes, a bit cooler now... but I really should stop checking the global Co2 levels, its bad for my health!
Thank you for your thoughtful review.
There`s another awkward rhyme pair in the lyric -" martini/sea" - I got around by recording that one again...and maybe should have revisited " rosary" to change the emphasis.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
So damn hot and so damn cool!

We've said it many times but your lyrics would lend themselves to stellar videos!

"Actually I kind of wished I could swallow sandpaper or something to rough up my voice to get more of that attitude into the vocals."

Johnny Winter wrote that he used to shout/scream into a pillow to roughen up his voice...if I recall correctly. You could try that and not disturb your spouse smile

You guys OWN this style around here and it's well deserved. Sophisticated psychedelia it is.

Fine write, vocals and the guitars (playing and tone).

Kudos y'all!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Robert and Scott,

Hehe! wish we had some more hot weather.

Nice guitar from Scott and a great song from you.
Sounds good here.
enjoyed

Alyn

Thanks for the listen, Alyn.
I think Britain just had its heatwave- sit tight, there`s more coming!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert/Scott, very nice collaboration! Robert, you've offered up some super great lyric content again and I really liked the sound you have on guitar in this Scott! The guitar and vocal played off each other nicely! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,

I had to redo some of the vocal after Scott sent his guitar tracks, to try & bring them up closer to the level of his playing.
Glad you liked this.

Robert

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Whoah!!!!!!!!

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sings;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the crimson king..

Wait, wrong song!

Man you guys had me tripping so hard I had a flashback and I thought my neighbor's face was a skeleton head.

This is so utterly cool, it's outrageous.

Totally King Crimson though.

And that's all right!! Magical, dudes.

David,
Well I can hear a bit of 21st Century Schizoid Man in the lyrics
so I`m tickled this gave you flashbacks... hope they were fun!
Thanks for the thumbs up.

Robert

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195