Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#487977 08/26/18 05:34 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have been out of commission for the past couple of months. Overwhelmed with work, and then I have had a strange infection in my head/sinuses that caused me to lose almost all my hearing for a few weeks. I'm doing better now, so I wrote a new song. The guitar and bouzouki are RealTracks. The piano and all the other orchestration are all EastWest sounds. I recorded this one in Studio One, and did the mix in Harrison's MixBus 32c. I hope you like it!
(I will try to get to some of the great songs on this forum, and comment on them in the next couple of days - I have really missed you guys!)

The Lessons We've Learned

The Lessons We've Learned
©Stephen W. Young

He stares at the face in the mirror
And he swears it could be the old man
He's forgotten the last words that were spoken
Can't remember how it got out of hand

After years of regrets, he thought it ended
When they told him the old man was dead
They found a letter his daddy had written
Never sent, he wept as he read

I hope you will come when you're able
Maybe Autumn, when the leaves start to turn
We'll laugh and forget all our troubles
And remember the lessons we've learned
Remember the lessons we've learned

Now, it could be pride or foolishness
Keeps a good man from doing what's right
In his heart, he knows of forgiveness
But it's so easy to keep it inside

I hope you will come when you're able
Maybe Autumn, when the leaves start to turn
We'll laugh and forget all our troubles
And remember the lessons we've learned
Remember the lessons we've learned

Now the memories and pain fade away
As he kisses his little baby's head
Asleep in his arms, in a moment of grace
He whispers the words that he read[b][/b]

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

Oh my goodness... this is such a wonderful journey in lyrics and music. I found myself sitting here and just staring at the monitor when the song had finished. Absolutely everything about this is outstanding. So much skill and talent radiating from every aspect of this production.

You've created something very, very special with this composition. The arrangement led me along like I was travelling on a boat drifting downstream. I love the way that you've shaped the emotional contour of the instrumental backing so that it frames the lyrics, the melody and your singing for maximum impact.

(AGAIN!)

I'm heading back for a few more listens, now!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

This is beautiful and the mix / vocal is outstanding... So nice to hear from you!

Bob

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,

There have been lots of excellent songs on the forum recently, but this
stands head and shoulders above them all. It's simply in a class of it's own.

I called my wife in to listen to it and we both sat there with tears in our eyes.
So emotive, so beautiful.

I don't think there's anything more I can add.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

How do you do it with every song you write/sing??

3.33 the crash cymbal was perfect, absolutely perfect.

Yes there are some great songs on the forum these days and this is at the top

good to hear you again

Alyn

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a beautiful song smile You really did an amazing job with this. It sounds sincere and lush. The kind of tune you can close your eyes and get completely lost in. The lyrics too - oh boy, I can imagine this being played live and there not being a dry eye in the house.

You should be really proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A beautiful piece Steve in all respects, oozing sincerity and meaning. A perfect vocal. And impeccably arranged and engineered as usual. Above first class.

I'm glad you're on the mend Steve.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lush and lovely.

It's a wonderful write and it would be hard to imagine anybody singing this other than you. Each listen takes one on a remarkable four minute journey.

The theme of the lyric, your vocals and the crystal clear production are ear candy of the highest order.

Congrats on a stunning production. Wow!

J&B

PS It's great to see you back here and we hope the sinus issue doesn't linger (Bud has experienced a similar issue).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You really should warn a guy. You made my driving a bit difficult. wink

What an amazing song. The chimes, strings, cymbal swells were all perfection.

The lyric and vocal go without saying.

...and mixed SO well.

Don't make me pick a favorite part. I would rather pick a favorite Grandma kind of thing.

This song truly moved me.

Thanks you for such a wonderful perspective.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a beautiful song. The vocals were especially brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love it! laugh

The writing is amazingly good - each verse gives the chorus a different meaning, and you've built a story arc of redemption out of a minimum number of words. The opening of stares/swears is nice.

Great orchestration as well, and as always, heartfelt vocals. Soooo good.

Sorry to hear about the hearing issue - hearing loss is always frightening for a musician! I'm glad you're doing better.

It's always a treat to hear one of your songs, and as impossible as it seems, you just keep getting better.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful, Steve.

A thoughtful, touching write. Extraordinary arrangement and mix (as always!)

You always "make it look easy". Everything in the perfect place...

Your vocals are SO well recorded. I would love to hear what your equipment is AND how you process them. I'm sure everyone else would, too. I recall you wrote up a Mixing Tutorial years ago - if it is in there, perhaps you could just point to that here again?

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Your vocals are SO well recorded. I would love to hear what your equipment is AND how you process them. I'm sure everyone else would, too. I recall you wrote up a Mixing Tutorial years ago - if it is in there, perhaps you could just point to that here again?

fj

+1

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The Mixing Thread is here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162045#Post162045

I bumped it in the Tips forum - worth another read (or a first read for those who haven't seen it).

Quote:

... I do everything "in the box" - I my computer for all my recording/mixing/etc.
...I use a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface, and have a couple decent mics that I use - Audio Technica 3525 and a MXL. They're not too expensive $200 or so, each.
... Usually record 1 track for Lead Vocals verses, and a separate track for Lead Vocals choruses (maybe a 3rd for bridges, transitions, etc.) When I record my Background Vocals, I record usually at least 3 separate tracks for each harmony part.
...I also send all my Background vocals to a bus where I put reverb/delay, etc. I also eq the BGV pretty thin, with a High-Pass filter taking out everything below around 200Hz or so - sounds drastic, but I don't want my BGV's competing with the Lead Vox.

I believe that is everything you wrote about vocals. Good information, but I'm not sure it tells "why do Steve's vocals sound "SO RIGHT"???". Clean, clear, natural... Are your mics going directly into the Focusrite and straight to your DAW (no other outboard equipment)?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Steve

Beautiful work - a truly lovely composition. Superb arrangement and an excellent vocal.
Deserves all the accolades from others.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song, a super write

and your vocals and mix are so good!

enjoyed the listen very much

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Steve this is simply beautiful. Gorgeous arrangement, and great lyrics and vocals. Extremely poignant.

I am sorry to hear you weren't feeling good but it's great to see you back in the game!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is some nice work.

The lesson here, from the song, is, don't put it off.

I enjoyed that.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Steve, Great work on this! I enjoyed the overall tone of this and find the chord progression wonderful. Great use of EFX on vocals too. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Steve,

Oh my goodness... this is such a wonderful journey in lyrics and music. I found myself sitting here and just staring at the monitor when the song had finished. Absolutely everything about this is outstanding. So much skill and talent radiating from every aspect of this production.

You've created something very, very special with this composition. The arrangement led me along like I was travelling on a boat drifting downstream. I love the way that you've shaped the emotional contour of the instrumental backing so that it frames the lyrics, the melody and your singing for maximum impact.

(AGAIN!)

I'm heading back for a few more listens, now!

All the best,
Noel

Thanks, Noel! I always look forward to your comments. They are always so uplifting. Very much appreciated, my friend!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

This is beautiful and the mix / vocal is outstanding... So nice to hear from you!

Bob

Bob, it is always a pleasure to hear from you! You are one of my favorite writers, and an inspiration to me. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Steve,

There have been lots of excellent songs on the forum recently, but this
stands head and shoulders above them all. It's simply in a class of it's own.

I called my wife in to listen to it and we both sat there with tears in our eyes.
So emotive, so beautiful.

I don't think there's anything more I can add.

ROG.

Rog, thank you so much for sharing that with me! I have always had a lot of respect for your work. As a writer, particularly of this type of song, it is my greatest desire that the song would touch people's hearts like you have described. Thanks again!

==

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199