Print Thread
Go To
#488635 08/30/18 03:48 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thankfully, BIAB renders truly stereo individual tracks as "stereo" even if the option is set to render all tracks as mono. This keeps drums and (often) piano the way they were recorded. I've always had trouble, however, mixing when any of the individual tracks are stereo. It's very hard to find a spot in the stereo field for other instruments where they do not clash.

Is there a set "distance" for how far right-left a stereo piano track goes if it is set to "center"? Any other info that might help?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Veteran
Veteran
This may be kind of a confusing answer, but it's my opinion nonetheless

When mixing, I like stereo tracks to be handled as 2 individual MONO tracks. It helps me define the 'width' of the stereo field for the tracks as well as the placement (and volume/EQ of the individual L/R signals).

"how far right-left a stereo piano track goes" is defined by the sample or recorded track(s), unless you separate them to MONO, then you can put L or R anywhere you want .. though you you are still stuck with how much of the L/R is bleeding between the two tracks.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was rendering to mono tracks till very recently. I just switched back to stereo tracks on my last couple songs. Instead of panning the tracks I used izotope Neutron to spread the stereo field for each track. I got the idea from working on EDM tracks where many synths are mixed this way to give a wide and full stereo sound to the music.

Listen here...
https://soundcloud.com/user-742389722/love-is-a-poker-game

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: rharv
This may be kind of a confusing answer, but it's my opinion nonetheless

When mixing, I like stereo tracks to be handled as 2 individual MONO tracks. It helps me define the 'width' of the stereo field for the tracks as well as the placement (and volume/EQ of the individual L/R signals).

"how far right-left a stereo piano track goes" is defined by the sample or recorded track(s), unless you separate them to MONO, then you can put L or R anywhere you want .. though you you are still stuck with how much of the L/R is bleeding between the two tracks.

That's a fine idea. I can hear it working best on tracks that aren't too wide. Even mono tracks rendered mono can be handled that way. Would it work on a stereo piano (high keys further and further right, low further and further left) or moving drums hits to still get that full spectrum?

Last edited by Tangmo; 08/30/18 08:02 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
I was rendering to mono tracks till very recently. I just switched back to stereo tracks on my last couple songs. Instead of panning the tracks I used izotope Neutron to spread the stereo field for each track. I got the idea from working on EDM tracks where many synths are mixed this way to give a wide and full stereo sound to the music.

Listen here...

You're spreading certain tracks "this" much and other tracks "that" much? Would the opposite work--narrowing the field?

Great song, by the way, and the mix is clear as day.

Expert
Expert
I tend to put all BB tracks to the centre before I export the wav files. I then pull them into Reaper (or Cakewalk if I am adding special midi bits). In Reaper initially I normalise all tracks to about -10 dB or less (depending on the number of tracks). I might split stereo tracks into two mono tracks (most often piano tracks) panning each resulting track to where I want it in the mix. Other times I leave the stereo file as is (usually guitars) and pan it.

I found leaving them panned before export really limited the panning options. Maybe it’s just me.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/31/18 12:11 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I use stereo tracks only for keyboard and drums. And I tend to always mix keyboards near center (picked that up from floyd). Sometimes I'll use Ozone's imager to widen them.

DAW's handle stereo tracks in different ways when you pan them. Mine, Logic Pro, will, e.g., pan the left side of the stereo track more if you pan left. Not always good. However, Logic has a plug in called the Direction Mixer that will let you pan a stereo track in a many different ways to make it sit nicely in the mix.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
My rule of thumb on mixing is as follows for stereo and mono tracks.

Stereo tracks: these are generally left as "centered" since for the most part they are already set up as stereo with slightly different audio information in the right vs the left side of the track. My main concern with a stereo track is the level of the track. A great example of this for me is the RB B3 tracks. Just use the track centered and vary the volume with automation as needed. That said.... Yes, you can pan the stereo tracks off center but you then start losing the audio data from the slighted side. If you really need to pan a stereo track, first, convert it to mono so you have 100% of the sound data, then, pan it where you want.

Mono tracks: These can be panned as needed or centered depending on the track.

regarding how far to pan the track. centered to 100% fully left or right..... nothing is off limits. Looking at the tracks individually probably isn't the best idea.... so I always look at them in the context of the mix. And it's kind of like an algebraic expression..... what you do on one side you have to do on the other. So, if for example, I have an acoustic guitar and I want to pan it 50% right, there should be something, perhaps a different guitar or a piano panned 50% left to balance the mix. I often use a pair acoustic guitar tracks, both playing a very similar, or the same part, recorded independently, and panned 100% left and right to give width to the mix.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis

Listen here...

You're spreading certain tracks "this" much and other tracks "that" much? Would the opposite work--narrowing the field?

Great song, by the way, and the mix is clear as day.

Yes, basically each instrument is spread a different percentage to sit in its own space in the stereo field. Make sure to set the pan on all of your BIAB tracks to center before exporting though.

Yes, you can also narrow the stereo field using Neutron.

Attached is a quick diagram that generally shows how I spread the tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
PicsArt_08-31-04.44.32.jpg (76.6 KB, 34 downloads)

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Yes you can spread the piano wider and wider, but more importantly you can narrow it in a mix. Most mixes should not sound like you are sitting on the bench with the piano player listening to it, if there are other parts to the mix.

Example of narrowing: the piano is on the left side of a stage; you can have the highs and lows still have 'some' spread, but hear it mainly from the left side of the recording/mix (both the left/right channel panned varying degrees left) and still also have the ability to make one side louder if needed, like if you want the higher notes louder and less piano bass ...

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195