Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#489891 - 09/08/18 04:13 PM [User Showcase] A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper)
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

A Bird In The House

A song about the American poet Emily Dickinson. Joanne Cooper singing.

Style is _AIRHARP.STY (Airy Celtic Harp Trio)

RealTracks in style: ~2483:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2870:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticAirDave Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2820:Harp, Rhythm ClassicalSlow8ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2457:StringQuartet PopChamber Ev 085

A Bird In The House

when I was a boy
I lived where skylarks hid their nests
word spinning walking home
safe from the goblins of Amherst
father in his wilderness
always in awe wondering
which rapture to suppress

when I was a girl
they sorted starched up young ladies
by degrees of salvation
at Mount Holyoke Seminary
they called me a no-hoper
avoiding evangelism
I stayed indoors

there`s a bird in the house
learning to be still
the mill wheel creaks she turns her head
follows the whippoorwill

when I was a poet
I lived as a woman for a week
not being seen I found
the courage to speak
a suitor came he was too beautiful
I left him on the stairs where
my love would never cool

learning to be still
the millwheel creaks she turns her head
follows the whippoorwill

singing her way out
down a dark secret brook
your understanding intrudes
the pages of her book

© Robert Cordrey May 2018

#489956 - 09/09/18 03:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very nice Robert and Joanne!

A clever write as always. Sounds good through my iPad, I’ll give it another listen once I get back to my studio next week.

#489958 - 09/09/18 04:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Robert,

Another great song... This time delivered beautifully by Joanne.

Nice track selection and production as well.

Bob

#489978 - 09/09/18 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Another great song, and another one that suits Joannes' lovely voice.

#489987 - 09/09/18 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Loc: Virginia USA
This song is sheer poetry. Lots of lyrical nuggets. My favorite is "when I was a girl/ they sorted starched up young ladies/ by degrees of salvation."

#490041 - 09/09/18 01:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Very nice Robert and Joanne! An excellent vocal and the use of the string quartet in this was exceptionally good! A beautiful song well performed and put together! Thanks, Torrey

#490081 - 09/09/18 05:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Robert and Joanne,

What a lovely song and performance! What a marvelous and expository lyric. And few are Joanne's equal for interpreting a lyric and delivering it with such grace. Remarkably beautiful song and performance.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#490103 - 09/10/18 01:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Netherlands
rodipoet Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands
Nice lyrics, fine vocals and I like the way you use the real tracks.

Biab 2021, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Akai EIE pro

#490157 - 09/10/18 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: furry]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice Robert and Joanne!

A clever write as always. Sounds good through my iPad, I’ll give it another listen once I get back to my studio next week.

Thanks for your listen Dave... to me it sounds better on phones than monitors.

Robert
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

Another great song... This time delivered beautifully by Joanne.

Nice track selection and production as well.

Bob

Bob,
I appreciate that- a simple track list but not so easy to produce; in the end I think the Ozone tonal balance helped out.
I`m grateful Joanne was willing to spend the time getting to know the unusual lyrics - I`m thrilled with her interpretation.

Robert

Originally Posted By: furry
Another great song, and another one that suits Joannes' lovely voice.

Thank you Graham!

#490183 - 09/10/18 12:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool tune Robert. Awesome lyric and lovely backtrack. Super mix as well. Sounds perfect on my headphones. Beautiful vocal Joanne. So tasteful and pretty. Well done

#490208 - 09/10/18 04:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
A beautiful musical composition with lyrics which seem very Dickensonian (Is that a word?)!! Joanne was a great choice for this music. Piano and strings are the perfect accompanying instruments. Great job!! Take care. Greg

#490429 - 09/11/18 12:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

As always, an interesting lyric. (I don't know enough Dickinson to know the references).

A nice production and Joanne's vocal fits well. A good mix.

fj

#490460 - 09/11/18 01:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - this is incredible! I love the vocal delivery on this. It is dreary, sad, dark, yet hopeful at the same time. Plus, the lyrics are beautiful and incredibly unique and emotional. It flows great, and really sets an intense and gorgeous mood.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

#490481 - 09/11/18 04:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Al-David]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This song is sheer poetry. Lots of lyrical nuggets. My favorite is "when I was a girl/ they sorted starched up young ladies/ by degrees of salvation."

I appreciate those kind words.The lyrics were based on reading of Emily Dickinson`s letters.. boy they really spoke an English that had some subtlety back then!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very nice Robert and Joanne! An excellent vocal and the use of the string quartet in this was exceptionally good! A beautiful song well performed and put together! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you Torrey!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Robert and Joanne,

What a lovely song and performance! What a marvelous and expository lyric. And few are Joanne's equal for interpreting a lyric and delivering it with such grace. Remarkably beautiful song and performance.

Alan

Alan,

I spent many hours with the lyrics on this one so, although I`m still not entirely happy with them, there are parts that I felt got to the heart of a person who has had volumes written about her.
I`m glad you connected with the song and agree with your praise of Joanne`s vocal.

Robert

#490702 - 09/12/18 11:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Thanks to Robert for inviting me to sing on this one. I enjoyed learning the song and am glad you all like the final result.

#490713 - 09/13/18 03:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert / Joanne

Like Dave listened on my IPad. A haunting melody and a lovely vocal interpretation of a poetic set of lyrics.
Nicely done.

Peter

#490828 - 09/14/18 12:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Veteran

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Robert and Joanne

Really nice collaboration!
Joanne's vocal perfect fits this melody.
I think that it is the complete finish because it was made by you two who understand the essence of folk songs deeply.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#490904 - 09/14/18 10:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Nice lyrics, fine vocals and I like the way you use the real tracks.

Thank you for listening.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune Robert. Awesome lyric and lovely backtrack. Super mix as well. Sounds perfect on my headphones. Beautiful vocal Joanne. So tasteful and pretty. Well done

I appreciate that,Scott... a nice slow contemplative break from our heady outings of late!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A beautiful musical composition with lyrics which seem very Dickensonian (Is that a word?)!! Joanne was a great choice for this music. Piano and strings are the perfect accompanying instruments. Great job!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
Some of my favourite songs are along the lines of musical biographies;I knew nothing about Emily Dickinson until stumbling across a few lines of one of her poems. I`m glad you liked the portrait, arrangement and Joanne`s fine vocal.

Robert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

As always, an interesting lyric. (I don't know enough Dickinson to know the references).

A nice production and Joanne's vocal fits well. A good mix.

fj

Floyd,
Thanks for the listen and comments.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is incredible! I love the vocal delivery on this. It is dreary, sad, dark, yet hopeful at the same time. Plus, the lyrics are beautiful and incredibly unique and emotional. It flows great, and really sets an intense and gorgeous mood.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk,
I thought twice about putting this on the forum - its both one of my personal favourites of those I`ve written, and one with the least "curb appeal" if that makes sense.I`m really happy that Joanne got into the song with feeling and it gives me all the more of a kick that someone listened and responded so positively- thank you!

Robert

#491342 - 09/17/18 10:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: animarorecords]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert / Joanne

Like Dave listened on my IPad. A haunting melody and a lovely vocal interpretation of a poetic set of lyrics.
Nicely done.

Peter

Peter,
If it sounds ok on your ipad I probably got the mix right.
Thanks for the listen and comments.

Robert
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Robert and Joanne

Really nice collaboration!
Joanne's vocal perfect fits this melody.
I think that it is the complete finish because it was made by you two who understand the essence of folk songs deeply.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

That`s very kind Shigeki - thank you!

Robert

#491434 - 09/17/18 01:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: A Bird In The House (with Joanne Cooper) [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Janice has always been a fan of Emily Dickinson and has read a lot of her work and books about her. She commented immediately that the write and vocal capture the melancholia of her works. Yes, sometimes works like her's and writes about her can have less curb appeal but that doesn't diminish their value...at all. One of Janice's favorite books about her is "The Diary of Emily Dickinson" by Jamie Fuller.

Nice collab y'all!

J&B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

We've just released some amazing new Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)! Adding the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase? No need to buy this separately, MultiStyles PAK 1 is included with it! www.pgmusic.com/addons.multistyles.php?os=win

Mac user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows is HERE!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2020- save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks and the just-released MultiStyles PAK 1) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Forum Stats
33267 Members
67 Forums
66394 Topics
568812 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HiTide, Lucverleure, Afrolatinlounge, 2Large, Spectrumit

33266 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 264
Matt Finley 250