Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Down in the +++ BiaB wish list forum section +++ an idea is being discussed to create a list of chords used in each RealTracks.

Volunteers are needed to create list of chords. Check out the message thread and see what you think.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
How's those Volunteers going ???

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
How's those Volunteers going ???
I didn't volunteer; I just helped to spread the message. grin

Apprentice
Apprentice
When PG book the Artiste in the first place surely they give them a list of chords and riffs that they want them to play?it cant just be random.Are the Records kept if so can they be publushed?Or am I being too simplistic.
Wendy

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Veteran
This is the question I asked several years ago when UserTracks became available. I would guess that there is a BIAB song for the artists to play along with, and it would have most or all of the chord types.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The Artist Performance Sets have the SGU that you open and see what is being played over what chords.
That's all the RT's need an SGU in with the RT files:

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I set Realband Song Settings to Avoid Transpositions in RealTracks.
Generate up a chord in a key for a few bars then drag export a bar or section that is a continuous riff, now drag that in a DAW and drag the RT same Key file then match the waveform to create the chord progression for the RT file.
The only problem is it would be using chord substitutions so that section could be used on other chords...not to mention it is a time consuming task !
I'm getting a bit worn out these days always trying to find workaround solutions for PG apps !!! crazy mad
"FRUSTRATION" no other program has done this to me more so than PG's lol
I have stuck with it for the end results but getting there can be a real pain that need not be with better programming, coming up to date with things and aiming higher.

EDIT: Having the SGU's with the audio would allow users to create up tracks manually choosing the sections you need where, giving more control rather than the dice.
In Biab or RealBand you just highlight that section in the chord sheet then drag export to your DAW creating it just how you like.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RT-Chord-Match.png (85.49 KB, 341 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 09/16/18 02:16 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline, I totally get what you're saying but you are far, far from the average user of Biab.

Again for the gazillion'th time, BIAB IS NOT A FULL BLOWN STUDIO PRODUCTION DAW. Could it be? Sure. And if my aunt had...

You know who primarily uses it but here it is again. A user (or student, don't forget the teaching angle) who doesn't even have to play an instrument and barely understands song forms enters some chords into the chord grid and hits Play. They get a decent sounding song. It's amazing! It's so easy to use! Other users go up in knowledge from there but not to the level of studio production. Only a few take it that far. They can go deep into the innards and make it do more and yes, it could be easier at that level but is it worth all the extra programming time considering who the typical user seems to be?

I don't know, ask Peter.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"BIAB IS NOT A FULL BLOWN STUDIO PRODUCTION DAW" ya reckon ?

I was just trying to find a solution to Provide a List of recorded chords for each RealTrack by John-Luke
The easiest way for PG without going deep into the innards, is add sgu files.

"I don't know, ask Peter." isn't that what the post is doing ?

Was it worth the time and effort I spent asking for vst sync ??????? or should I have not bothered as music students and typical users don't need that ????
I remember someone telling me that they won't have vst sync but then they were shocked when vst sync was implemented.
You can pontificate or you can actually come up with ideas and improvements to help.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Pipeline, I totally get what you're saying but you are far, far from the average user of Biab.

Again for the gazillion'th time, BIAB IS NOT A FULL BLOWN STUDIO PRODUCTION DAW. Could it be? Sure. And if my aunt had...

And if my aunt had the new BiabVST ??

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
VST sync was a big one for me as well I also pounded for that because I loved using Jamstix still like it, but must admit I like using real drums a bit more these days

Over the years I have argued back with those who screamed for BiaB to be rewritten to become a full recording studio DAW that to me is downright ridiculous. That takes away its main purpose. I see the VSTi plugin in time accomplishing that I really believe that this plugin will bring many more people to BiaB that would never have tried it.

I opened it this morning and chose a style over 32 bars and it was taking 10 seconds to generate each track and both of the opening and closing processes. On a 32 bar with 3 choruses the generation time we’re 28 seconds per part or 3:28 not bad. If only the audio issue and the multiriff issue were fixed we would have a good solid start. The next patch is scheduled for Monday if all goes well. I’m sure it will address many things in BiaB proper as well.

Next after that make it so we can swap out real tracks in the plugin to try variations and create new track beds and that would really be powerful

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
If I was on the fence on this, I'd come down on the side of jazzmammal's Aunt!

We heard from quite a number of people over the last few years that wanted BIAB in 64 bit. But we have no idea of what percentage of users that was, only that they seemed to be the most vocal.

What if only (say) 10% of BIAB regular AND future customers required 64 bit?
Then BIAB developers have spend a goodly portion of this year working to please only them, at the possible expense of other features (bar limit, chords per bar limit, time sig limits).

If I needed a program that would do all that Pipeline needs, I would simply go buy a different program. Let BIAB do what it was intended to do, as has been stated. It's just a tool to help make music. If you need a screwdriver, why try to get the makers of a hammer to do that job for you?

Just my 2 cents (Cdn)!
Good luck!
LLOYD S

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
) Wendy: When PG book the Artiste in the first place surely they give them a list of chords and riffs that they want them to play?it cant just be random.Are the Records kept if so can they be publushed?Or am I being too simplistic.

Wendy,
That’s a good idea.
Thanks

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
If you have such a template song for jazz, to make User Tracks, I would be interested.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
We heard from quite a number of people over the last few years that wanted BIAB in 64 bit. But we have no idea of what percentage of users that was, only that they seemed to be the most vocal.

But we do know that the majority of software companies in the music industry understand that the world has now moved to 64-bit and they have updated their products accordingly.

Then BIAB developers have spend a goodly portion of this year working to please only them, at the possible expense of other features (bar limit, chords per bar limit, time sig limits).

Well, Mac users know that very soon 100% of them will require 64-bit! And you can bet it won't be that long before Microsoft drops support for 32-bit too. So, yeah, you can go ahead and toss that buggy whip!

If I needed a program that would do all that Pipeline needs, I would simply go buy a different program. Let BIAB do what it was intended to do, as has been stated. It's just a tool to help make music. If you need a screwdriver, why try to get the makers of a hammer to do that job for you?

Thank goodness we have folks like Pipeline who are willing to stir the pot and move people forward! I wish PGM would show that kind of vision!

UPDATE: let me just say that PGM have demonstrated tremendous vision and creativity and technological brilliance with their creation and production of RealTracks!!! My comment above was just regarding the delay of things like 64-bit and GUI modernization.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/27/18 11:28 AM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: RobH
VST sync was a big one for me as well I also pounded for that because I loved using Jamstix still like it, but must admit I like using real drums a bit more these days......

Things are changing and coming into the new age
Jamstix - RB is constantly sending midi clock
......I've finally become convinced it ain't happenin. ......

Bob

VST Time Info A Whole New World of Advantages for PG Apps
Apparantly?

Pipeline, you know this how? The rule in many forums concerning gossip is simple:

Post a link or it doesn't exist.......

SuperRealDrums
This sounds great but consider this, file size, file size and file size. How many tracks are we talking here? 6? 8? 10? That means you're tripling or what octupling the file size? And, remember putting a mic on each drum for more control is fine but it's still not separate discrete drum parts, there will be tons of bleed through from the other drums. "Some" control does not mean perfect, clean control over each part of the kit.

Bob

... As for the multitrack stems absolutely, that would be great if they can pull it off....
Bob

If I was on the fence on this, I'd come down on the side of jazzmammal's Aunt!

Then BIAB developers have spend a goodly portion of this year working to please only them, at the possible expense of other features (bar limit, chords per bar limit, time sig limits).......
LLOYD S

100% of Mac user must have 64bit.
You could always use REATRAK to get 8 chords per bar and any time signature until it's added in BB/BBvst, as it's due to the BBvst that will likely bring about this change as it needs to sync with the DAW time signature changes.

See how things change over the years because users come here with new ides, sure they get jumped on but the brave stay until the job is done and theres no going back...

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
If you have such a template song for jazz, to make User Tracks, I would be interested.

Yes exactly, having the SGU files in with the RealTrack files would solve this problem.

I started with a basic one here Good Ear Needed as this has the A B parts if that goes good we can try a jazz one. (though having the SGU's will be so much easier than this)
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
If someone wants to help out here with a good ear, there are 24 SGU for Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
make a backup copy of bb\RealTracks\Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
then just extract them to bb\RealTracks\Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
when you open them they will load the associated RealTrack file with it into the BB Audio track.
They came straight out of the ACW as is.
They just need chording out correctly and the key set.

Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120.zip

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wendy's suggestion was received well enough for Peter Gannon to quote and add a positive comment.

Wendy's suggestion is
Originally Posted By: WendyM
When PG book the Artiste in the first place surely they give them a list of chords and riffs that they want them to play? It cant just be random. Are the Records kept if so can they be published or am I being too simplistic? Wendy
Peter Gannon's response:
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Wendy, That’s a good idea. Thanks.

There is nothing in Dr. Gannon's response to indicate if the idea will be implemented or, if the idea is implemented how it will be implemented.

My guess is Dr. Gannon is acknowledging the idea is a good idea but has not examined the idea in detail to determine what steps can be taken to implement the idea so he has no idea of what degree of work is needed or what form the idea might take.

The idea of a SGU file with a chord chart of all chords used in a RealTrack is one method of addressing the issue however the same information could be provided in a much smaller text file.

It might be more difficult to document what chords are in a RealTrack than we think. For example the musician may record many hours of audio which is then divided into multiple RealTracks. The musician may not stringently follow a chord chart through out the audio recording but instead given some leeway to record as inspiration hits while following a loose guideline like "We want a set of ChaCha tracks in 25 BPM increments that can be used from 80 BPM to 180 BPM".

We users really don't know enough about how RealTracks are created to determine what is the best way to address the concern. I feel my original concern has been acknowledged. Now I can wait and see if the issue is addressed.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
The idea of a SGU file with a chord chart of all chords used in a RealTrack is one method of addressing the issue however the same information could be provided in a much smaller text file.

You mean a text file like https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=203529#Post203529
or just the chords C Dm Em Am F G ...
With the SGU it will show the progression like the Artist Performance Tracks.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just provided some examples of how it might be addressed. I don't know how, or if it will be.

I suspect what chords are played in each RealTracks audio file is known. The Band-in-a-Box and RealBand programs HAVE to know where to go in an audio file to extract the desired chord. I suspect the information is contained in the bt1 & bt2 files that accompany each audio file.

I'm hoping PG Music decides they can create a utility program that converts bt1 data to text data. Then they can save the converted text data as a text file or import the data as chords into a SGU file. Finally create another program to copy all the text or SGU files into the correct RealTracks folders.

Once the process is complete the copy program and new files can be combined into an installation file and published. That would take care of all RealTracks released to date. Future RealTracks can have these files added to the correct folders as part of the RealTracks creation process.

That's an outline of what I would like to happen. Who knows if it will or can happen.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei
38,512 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186