Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Any serious musician knows the the bass part in a song is very important for the global harmony of a song and for the groove.
So, getting a reliable and precise bass part is very important.

***THE PRESENT ISSUE :
When we specify a bass note over a chord, the realization is mandatory. Up to now, the requested bass note may be played or another note may be played.
Many Bass RealTracks have a defective implementation of slash chords. It has already been reported in the forums to PGM people.
So, to attempt to get the right notes, we regenerate the whole song, because we can't - yet - regenerate only the bass RT.

But, we may get the right bass note for some chords in the song and, in the same time, there where it was ok with the bass, we now get wrong bass notes.
So, it is time consuming and the result is poor.

For example : Bass RT N°2426
C2 chord / 2 beats : the bass plays G - E, sometimes you may get the notes C - E, that is correct.
Cmaj7 chord / 2 beats : the bass plays G - E, sometimes you may get the notes C - E, that is correct
G7 / 1 beat : the bass plays F, sometimes you may get a D note or a G note, the correct one.
G7/F / 1 beat : the bass plays E or B.
See view below.

***PROPOSAL :
For each Bass RealTrack recording, it would be fine to record sufficient combinations of slash chords.
I reasonably propose to do that for each supported chords having 3 or 4 notes.
For example :
C chord : check to get the right bass notes for C/E and C/G for durations of 4/3/2/1 beats
C7 chord : check to get the right bass notes for C7/E, C7/G, C7/Bb for durations of 4/3/2/1 beats.

***ADVANTAGES :
- we could get more elaborate bass lines : useful for diatonic/chromatic bass notes
- we could get the exact bass note as requested in the arrangement
- we could get precise bass lines : we don't get wrong notes
- The final result is a better sound, a more musical and a more professional arrangement.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2426 bass.png (37.72 KB, 245 downloads)

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
An issue I have with slash chords is the random octave choice, this is particularly annoying when trying to create a sequential bass run but a note in the middle of the run plays an octave up or down from the rest.

Vintage

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well articulated and very worthwhile.
I hope that this gets the attention it deserves.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
John-Luke:

Is there any chance that this could be easier than we thought?
I can see where you would need to do a ton of extra recording for "slash CHORDS", but for the bass, surely BIAB could be made to just:

- identify that there is a "slash chord" in the upcoming chord cell
- ignore the first part of the chord and play ONLY what's after the slash

Even if it has to play a run or arpeggio or whatever else,
couldn't it use the note/notes for the designation AFTER the slash?

If the chord cell indicates C7/E, why couldn't BIAB just play the bass note/notes for E, and ignore the C7?

Just askin'.
LLOYD S

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm not sure to fully understand your proposal. Could you detail or provide an example.

In the other hand, maybe the 'ton' of recording is not necessary.
We, users, don't know anything about the RealTracks and how they work under the hood.
For example, the chord C7/E (2 beats long)and the chord am7/E (2 beats long) would play the same portion of audio wave.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
An issue I have with slash chords is the random octave choice, this is particularly annoying when trying to create a sequential bass run but a note in the middle of the run plays an octave up or down from the rest.

Vintage

You're right, that is another issue with the Bass RealTracks.
We have the same problem with the MIDI bass, but there we can edit the bass part and freeze the track, and it's done.

For this issue, as BIAB knows the sequence before he plays, we could imagine a feature checking for the right choice of octave. It don't seem very difficult to implement, just to calculate the gap between two optional notes. When the value of the gap is minimal, you get the right note.

So, we would get a more professionnal sound.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Agreed about the register jumping, and it should be possible to program such a check. It may be there already (I think it is) but what does it do when no such bass notes on that chord were recorded in the desired register?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
... but what does it do when no such bass notes on that chord were recorded in the desired register?

Good point.
I guess this would be more easily attainable in a MIDI track, and highlights the never ending challenges that the designers face when dealing with creating Real Tracks.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
John-Luke:

You said: "I'm not sure to fully understand your proposal. Could you detail or provide an example."

When PGMusic records a musician for a RealTrack, they must typically record CHORDS or at least multiple notes at one time. So for example to record a guitar RealTrack, they would need to record him/her playing a C chord, C7 chord, Cmin chord and so on for a goodly number of different chords. And then do the process all over again for every key (unless they use their "transposition magic" for other keys - I don't know).

In any case, for them to include slash chords, they would have to record considerably more, to get (as you suggested) C/E, C/G etc. chords.

All of that pertains to guitar, and any other instruments where you typically play more that one note at a time, like piano.

However for playing the BASS, like electric bass, double bass etc., you typically only play ONE NOTE at a time. So when BIAB shows C/E in the chord sheet, why couldn't it be programmed to just play an E note there? It's just the bass instrument that needs to ALWAYS play what comes after the slash.

I play the electric bass.
When I'm following along on a chord sheet (or BIAB chord grid), and I come to a C/E chord, I typically play an E note, as that's what the composer expects to hear from the bass.

Perhaps I've misunderstood what you're trying to get BIAB to do.
Good luck!
LLOYD S

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I’m not disputing that the wrong bass note was played in the very clear example given. But I’ve never experienced this and I use slash roots all the time, so the question becomes, is it an error in the programming for just the RealTrack(s) you are using? If so, PG Music can fix that and issue s patch.

Related, for anyone desiring the bass to remain on the same note, you should also explore pedal bass.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Matt,
You're right : all the bass RT don't show this issue.
I have not checked all the bass RT, but following RT have defective slash chords realization : 711/2475/2426/2344/1901 and probably others.

The purpose of the post is to ask PGM people to add a check phase of slash chords when PGM releases a new bass RT in order to get a full functional RT.
I agree all defective bass RT have to be fixed.

So, that would avoid PGM to do an extra job after the release to fix the issues.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
+1000

Also,RT2957, 2608, 2590, 2702, and probably many others (including Ron Carter's) don't work with slash chords, and because of that they're nearly useless on all projects using Slash chords.

This is basic functionality, not an obscure feature nobody uses. These bass realtracks definitely need to be fixed.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/23/18 03:32 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I run into this problem all the time with real tracks and just live with it. I use many of the medium to up-swing jazz styles, with walking bass. Say, you’re in the key of F. Often at the end of a phrase, when the basic chord is F, the bass part will play a note in the scale, but not the F. It’s noticeable to me, but, maybe not to others.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Let's stay on this one. I suggest if you have this problem, you send a frozen song that demonstrates this to support@pgmusic.com and reference this thread.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Here's an interesting twist.

I'm using Bass RealTrack #2284 (Acoustic Bass, Bossa Ron EV 140). It plays this fine:

|Dm9| |Dm7/C|

But the bass stays on D when playing this:

|Dm9| |Dm9/C|

EDIT: I take that back. It played the first occurrence of these two chords Dm9 to Dm7/C correctly, with the bass moving to C, but all subsequent cases the bass stayed on D.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 12/23/18 10:45 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
This is a test file you can download and try for yourself:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nBwoqQT_GMPvUmetPinTuhs0XksAveNo/view?usp=sharing

The chord progression is:
| Cm7 | Cm7/D | Cm7/Eb | Cm7/G |

There are five bass tracks, so you can try all of them, by soloing each one in the mixer, one by one.

If you try, you'll see that all of them stays in Cm for the whole 4 bars.

RealTracks in song: 2284:Bass, Acoustic, BossaRon Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 2957:Bass, Acoustic, ModernJazz8thsNeil Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2590:Bass, Electric, RockPickedQuarters Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2702:Bass, Synth, CloudRapSub Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2608:Bass, Electric, ModernDiscoFunkAlex Ev 110

PS: I'm actually testing other Bass Realtracks over that chord progression. Very few play the correct notes, most of them simply keep playing (incorrectly) over Cm for the whole 4 bars.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/23/18 11:24 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Confirmed, the basses on this song play only on the Cm.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I guess you need so much recorded material to cover all the possibilities.
That's where Melodyne and ARA comes in handy, just edit the midi notes in one track and the audio changes in the other.
That's how BB will need to work eventually, move the RealChart notes and the RealNotes will move.

You can also drag the midi RC into RapidComposer with the same chord track imported from BB it will then refit the midi to the notes you need, but you will need to output it through a Virtual Bass.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RC-Slash-Chords.png (68.78 KB, 104 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I guess you need so much recorded material to cover all the possibilities.

I disagree, to get a basic functionality, the bass should simply ignore the upper part of the chords, and play D (maybe with simple patterns using fifths and octaves) over Cm7/D.

For example, take a look here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IsK_91ZdvXoSdPRQ4IYd-2Bn1hfBhjMC/view?usp=sharing

RealTracks in song: ~903:Bass, Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 100
RealTracks in song: 2765:Bass, Electric, PuertoRicoAguinaldo Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 3111:Bass, Electric FunkSimpleAlex Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2620:Bass, Electric, FunkSwing16ths Sw16 085
RealTracks in song: 2607:Bass, Electric, ModernSlapFunkAlex Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2960:Bass, Acoustic, SmoothBalladNeil Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 3049:Bass, Acoustic, SpanishTangoNeil Ev 120

Only #903 is playing correctly, all the other ones are simply ignoring slash chords instructions, playing Cm7 patterns over Cm7/D chords, which is plain wrong.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
D
Thanks for pointing these out. We'll take a look at these and see what we can do.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199