Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
One of the best things about trade shows is the opportunity to interact with your peers.

Jim... I think most of the "peers" are here. Honestly, I do not see much interaction between PG dev team and their dear followers who are generously contributing ideas... Like a kind nurse begging glutton:
-Darling, do not eat this horrible junk food, you will live longer... But surely glutton knows better than that.

Sorry, sad thoughts overflowing the tank.

Back to the topic. There is a very nicely written VST it is called Scaler. It is available through Plugin Boutique (demo is there as well). I think it is awesome for chord exploration, voicing, inversions and of course scales. Also you can bind chords to keys and whole load of other very cool stuff. I figured out how to use it in DAW., but not sure if I can use it in BIAB since it is not a stand alone... and not really an "instrument" I tried loading it as one (as instrument) into BIAB (32Bit VST) it did not work. Does anybody know how to make such animal work with BIAB? If it possible at all? I would appreciate feedback on this very much.

Thank you,
Mike.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to download any user manual and the installation stuff I found isn't product specific so I'm winging it. I apologize in advance if my comments or questions are not specific enough to help.

Are you using the AAX or VST version? Are you using the full or trial version? How is the trial version limited if you're using the trial version?

VST Version 1.5 includes 4 new internal sounds: Electric Guitar, String Ensemble, Acoustic Guitar and Harmonic Guitar. Have you tried to use any of them?

I noticed Plugin Boutique requires iLok. Do they require the usb fob or can you use the iLok software manager? Do you have everything up-to-date with iLok?

You mentioned you used the trial version in a DAW. What daw and what steps did you take to install and use it in a project?

What steps did you take to use it with Band-in-a-Box? Just to make sure no one gets foot-in-mouth disease is your computer a Mac or PC? What operating system?

Looking at the support section of their website I notice there are several software programs (DAWs) that PlugIn Boutique programs will not communicate with. They suggest a $99 BlueCat midi utility program that can be used as a workaround.

Also. I'll point out you may want to ask the question in a new thread that is dedicated to the question. More eyes may see the question so the question will have a better chance of receiving an appropriate answer.

Finally, have you discussed the issue with PlugIn Boutigue support? They have an online contact service +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Jim, I have full version. I grabbed it some time ago on their flash sale.
But before that, I tried it as a demo. It did not require ilok. In DAW I am using 64bit VST, but for BIAB I installed 32Bit VST, which I can not get to work. VST simply does not start/load..

Since we talked about "chord builder" and inputting the chords into BIAB I thought I would continue with this thread as it is related...
Just does not feel right to consider spending $100 for bluecatmidi program. I do not need full power features of the wonderful Scaler in BIAB. I just want to use it as a reference for finding right chords for the job. I do not need complex routing to transfer the chords to bars... as Bob mentioned (if I understood correctly) chord structure is not a part of MIDI protocol. So I will write them manually to bars.

I think I know how workaround can be achieved... by using some sort of standalone VST host and use internal sounds of Scaler as reference, keeping both programs (BIAB and VST host+ Scaler) open. I was hoping it can be "plugged" directly into BIAB...

P.S. I think the Scaler surpasses "chord builder" in many (MANY!) ways, except of course, for entering chords directly to bars. Just an opinion.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
So, here is the chord entry tool for BIAB. A sub-menu shows all related chords, and it is even kind enough to show the intervals and notes. It's like a music class, and better than 100 theory books or chord chart books that you would have to flip through.

Extremely efficient. All you need.

You sit down to write a song. You audition chords, beat by beat, or measure by measure, even new ones you have never heard of. No that does not work. Let me try another one. Hey that is cool! I think I have a progression going. But hey, how do I play that chord on the guitar? I see, you are giving me the notes BIAB. Thanks! Got it! Sure am glad I learned the notes on my instrument before I tried to play it!

Now here I go: Intro, V, Chorus chords done. Super.

Go to song form dialog. Select style, song form, click, render print.

If you are a songwriter, what else on God's green earth could you possibly be looking for?

I absolutely do not understand what people are asking for that "isn't here" and is "too complicated"--and why--if writing a song is your goal.

Really.

Not trying to be sarcastic.

I just don't get it. It's all right there.

And it's so easy.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB Chord Entry.jpg (143.47 KB, 156 downloads)
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
David, thanks for taking the time, but I know how it is done in BIAB.

When you say: "I just don't don't get it. It's all right there."
All it tells me you have not tried anything better. It is like if you went to the same gas station that serves pizza year after year, you would develop a "taste" for that specific pizza. Does it have all the nutrients of most of other pizzas? Sure it does! Will it fill you up? Sure it will! But is it a good pizza??? Can you compare it to a good Italian pizza place pie? Well, you can say that they both round (or square), have tomato sauce and cheese on the top and you are really confused why some people would want something different... And to some your argument is valid.

P.S. If you have some time look into Scaler VST. Demo is free. Maybe then you will see, what BIAB is missing smile

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

When you say: "I just don't don't get it. It's all right there."
All it tells me you have not tried anything better.

Sure I have. I have used plenty of other tools. Among them: my brain. Yes, I have used my own brain, plugged in my guitar or turned on my keyboard and played.

smile

Bottom line though: It is just that reading some of the complaints about what people want and can't find, it seems they have not actually looked at what the program does. That simple. It is all I am trying to say.

As for Scaler, I looked at it. I guess it is cool and I will check it out if I have time, but ultimately I don't get the point all that much.

In my opinion there is no magical program or gadget anywhere that is going to make you a better musician or producer, really, though I am a huge fan of Real Tracks, because they are special, being, well real tracks.

As for the rest of it, the smallest amount of musical theory, ingenuity and craftsmanship will get you a long way, if you know how to write a good song, and manipulate audio or midi through the five billion libraries currently available. And if you know how to mix.

So I guess I wish you the best of luck in your journey to find what you are looking for, in terms of tools and software, and I sincerely mean that, I really do. And I hope it helps you produce good music you can share with us so we can share in your sense of accomplishment.

I like to see people happily producing music, and so far, BIAB has given me everything I need that I don't produce with my own fingers.

Best of luck.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"I think the Scaler surpasses "chord builder" in many (MANY!) ways, except of course, for entering chords directly to bars." AND "for BIAB I installed 32Bit VST, which I can not get to work. VST simply does not start/load."

I find that to be kind of a 'deal breaker' since you can accomplish the task in the BIAB "chord builder" quicker than you can say VST three times in a row. In your particular case it doesn't matter if it has better features in one way or a thousand if it doesn't work.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I am glad that you are able to use your brain. I try to use mine once in a while too, with moderate rate of success.

There are no magical tools (programs), sure. But some are miles apart in their built quality and effectiveness.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
I am glad that you are able to use your brain. I try to use mine once in a while too, with moderate rate of success.

There are no magical tools (programs), sure. But some are miles apart in their built quality and effectiveness.

Exactly. Glad to see you're coming around that BIAB is a true one of a kind musical software tool. ;0)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
Scaler is a wonderfully written piece of software and something is telling me that you have not tried it, so I feel you are arguing blindly.

For me music is more about "being creative" rather than as you said: "accomplish the task"

And just as you said it, chord builder of BIAB is about "accomplish the task"...
were Scaler is a tool focused more on creativity, learning process, ease of use, exploration, fast, elegant, etc. I found an awkward but working way to have both programs open, so lucky me.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You're right. Not only have I not tried it, I'd never heard of it before this thread. Saying that, it's not likely to be in my creative future. I'm glad it works for you, awkward as it may be. I look forward to hearing some of your music one day here on the forum or even on the radio. I wish you the best either way.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
there is always Google, Youtube and wast resources of internet available at your finger tips to gather some useful knowledge, other than from this forum. Works well for me.

By the way, somebody talked about Scaler on this forum. Thread was several month young so I did not want to revive it.

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Oh my, I seemed to have underwhelmed you with my skills and resources knowledge. But just to ease your mind;

Liam Neeson from the movie 'Taken' 2008: " I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career.... "

Walter Brennan from Guns of 'Will Sonnett' 1967: "No brag -- Just fact"

Charlie Fogle from today: "Me Too..." <Grin> wink

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
I did not ask for your list of achievements, honestly I care less.
This was about you arguing of something that you have no clue about. That's all.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi

I have followed this long and tortured thread now for 7 pages.
I now find myself wondering about the OP s original intentions .

What started of as a few simple questions from a newbie that were soon answered on the first page , it seems to have developed into a long string of loosely related topics
That in The end members agree to disagree on,
On the way some quite strong opinions being expressed, and quite a few argumentative and unkind post as well.
Not up to this forums normal good conduct .

For me to even feel the need to say this surely shows things are not quite right here.
But I just cant get my head around what its all about.

Please don’t say I don’t have to read it, I have learned a lot from reading post on this forum and normally enjoy the experience.
Some what perplexed
Wooden spoon Mike Head. smile

Last edited by Mike Head; 10/02/18 04:43 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I agree completely Mike Head. I had decided to drop from this thread with my last comment and only post now to stress my last post was in jest and not anger or rebuttal. I'm not sure why my ambivalence toward Scaler turned the conversation somewhat personal but the fact it did left me perplexed, not offended.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I find it a bit obscure when grown up people argue about something that they have never seen or tried before.

Most of nonsense of this post relates to initial question #5:

"Is there a good reason why chords can not be entered straight from midi controller, is there a way to bypass "CTRl+Enter" when entering them from controller"

It was answered in depth. However, when I brought Scaler VST to attention, arguing that it is far more advanced and user friendly tool to explore progressions, etc. than "chord builder" of BIAB, post was met with something completely different than "support", "interest" or even "weighted opinion" by couple of veteran members.

How can you judge of experience that you never had? Beats me.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I re-read this thread, trying not to be swayed by the snark, and concentrating on the content.

While Scaler doesn't offer me anything in particular, I viewed the three videos that come up about it in a minimal Google search. Here's the one I think might give anyone the best idea of what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMkssoqyHM

I do agree that some aspects of Scaler's chord entry are useful but I'm not yet sure how they apply to BIAB. John Ford gave the answer about the MIDI Chord Detection feature of BIAB that I would have given, namely that there are four choices offered and since I compose jazz I wouldn't want any of these to be chosen automatically. Since I know music theory, sometimes I don't accept any of the four. Nevertheless, I think the MIDI Chord Detection in BIAB is one of its best and most powerful features, as well as the most underrated.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran

Jim, Charlie and Matt,

Thanks for the midi chord detection tips for BIAB chord entry using a keyboard. I had never really looked at that or used it.

Way cool. Wicked cool in fact.

At least this thread made me take notice of that, so for that it was worth it.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I too want to keep the tone positive. I looked at other products and they all have great merit in their own right.

But I then questioned if BiaB wants to or should have the capabilities to also integrate all of these other quality products.

After all, it's purpose is to be a music accompaniment program. I don't think its primary intention is to teach music theory, or to tutor music rudiments, or to advise what chords are best used in any particular circumstance. There are many other products that can do this now that users can take advantage of separately.

BiaB is already extremely comprehensive in its own right (maybe too comprehensive?) and it supplies a unique market placement.

Fresh ideas are always worthy of consideration, but in reality no 'one product' can ever be 'all products'. Horses for Courses smile .

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195