Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#494669 10/08/18 06:11 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I think I’ve posted this question elsewhere, but it’s timely again for me now..does anyone know how I can generate drum solo’s? I’m not sure it’s possible with BIAB..I’m thinking of a 2- or 4-bar solo, with energy and interest...just like the ability to generate a solo riff in BIAB. Style I’m working on right now is kind of a modern big band number at a brisk tempo, each section taking a solo. Any ideas or other tools I might investigate?

Veteran
Veteran
My suggestion is to use midi drums for their flexibility.

1) If you're creating a song cover that has distinctive drum licks then download midi files of the song and copy the drum licks you want.

2) Several companies sell midi drum files. +++ Groove Monkey +++, +++ ProSonic Studios +++ and +++ Drums On Demand +++ have been around awhile and have good reputations for customer service. You'll have to dig deep for the Drum On Demand midi loops as they have moved more to featuring audio loops.

3) Create your own. If you're only needing a fill or solo for a few bars it's fairly simple once you've learned how to do it. Band-in-a-Box offers the Piano Roll View or PRV and the ability to enter midi using the computer keyboard as an aid to manually entry of midi. Sound On Sound magazine has a September, 2010 article +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Jim's suggestions are all good.

An alternative idea is to piece one together from the BIAB drum rolls.
Create an SGU with part markers on every measure ("B" will likely work best).
Export either the wav or the midi and pick and choose what to use (keep) in your DAW. Use just the "busy" stuff...
Try several different RealDrums.

There are also a lot of drums loops available free at

https://www.conversesamplelibrary.com/

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks guys...I’ll work on those ideas!

Veteran
Veteran
Aside from the above mentioned styles you can find a trade fours real drum style "Jazz4s by Terry Clarke, RD style #19 that I use very often. Wide rage of tempos.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
cubanpete #495778 10/13/18 03:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Her are some more, these are midi though, but with a decent drum VST they sound pretty good too.

JAZFOURB.STY. Jazz Fours B - Trading 4s Var.
All MIDI. Quartet. Tempo=180 (100-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-Jazz Electric Guitar
M1 Standard Drum Kit
M33: Acoustic String Bass
M1: Acoustic Piano
M27: Jazz Electric Guitar
Memo: Jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, jazz guitar). Similar to JazzFours.sty, the 'trading fours' order is: At A and B, 4 bars band then 4 bars drum solo. T=100-300

JAZFOURA.STY. Jazz Fours A - Trading 4s Var.
M1 Standard Drum Kit
Memo: Similar to JazzFours.sty, this variation changes the 'trading' order. At A, regular jazz swing. At B, 4 bars drum solo, then 4 bars band. T=100-300

JAZFOURC.STY. Jazz Fours C - Trading 4s Var.
M1 Standard Drum Kit
Memo: Jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, jazz guitar). Similar to JazzFours.sty, the 'trading fours' order is: At A and B, 4 bars drum solo - 4 bars band. T=100-300

Krupa4s2.STY. Krupa 4s 2 - Alternate to KRUPA_4S.STY
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=210 (150-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-NylonGuitar, M-Vibes
M41 Brushes Kit
M25: Nylon String Guitar
M12: Vibes
Memo: Alternate to KRUPA_4S.STY, 40s Jazz Swing - less busy drums in trading fours. 5 instruments: acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass brushes (sticks at B), vibes pad. T=210

Krupa_4s.STY. Krupa_4s - 40s Jazz Swing - trading four
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=210 (150-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-NylonGuitar, M-Vibes
M41 Brushes Kit
M25: Nylon String Guitar
M12: Vibes
Memo: 40s Jazz Swing - drums trade fours with the soloist in the B - section. 5 instruments: acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass brushes (sticks at B), vibes pad. T=210

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
I think you have some pretty solid ways to go about it from the suggestions. That's coming from a drummer, if that helps at all?

Just wanted to give a +1 to the suggestions presented.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
Veteran
ditto on the samplers and loops.

You could create one using any midi drum synth.... BUT.... it really helps if you have a drummer's mind set when building a drum solo in a drum synth using midi.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I think I’ve posted this question elsewhere, but it’s timely again for me now..does anyone know how I can generate drum solo’s? I’m not sure it’s possible with BIAB..I’m thinking of a 2- or 4-bar solo, with energy and interest...just like the ability to generate a solo riff in BIAB. Style I’m working on right now is kind of a modern big band number at a brisk tempo, each section taking a solo. Any ideas or other tools I might investigate?

I just came across what I think might be the most realistic sounding, easy to use virtual drummer that I heard for a fairly good price (US $149, I think).

I think I am going to buy this (there is also a trial version).

It is called Strike 2 by Air Tech - I heard about the original version from another user on a forum here at PgMusic, and you can hear a demo here

Strike 2 Virtual Drummer

Last edited by drutgat; 10/19/18 07:03 PM.

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
Veteran
Veteran
Realitone's +++ RealiDrums +++ can generate 1, 2, 3 & 4 beat fills or solos as desired. It requires either the free +++ Kontakt Player +++ or Kontakt program.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Jim,
Thanks for mentioning Realidrums.

I had not heard of that one.

On the occasions I have looked at Kontakt Player, it has seemed overwhelming. Would you say it is hard to learn?

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
drutgat #496950 10/20/18 03:11 PM
Veteran
Veteran
drutgat,

In this instance, no but with a few stipulations. RealiDrums uses the free Kontakt player. In this instance Kontakt is used as the motor/transmission (drivetrain) powering the VST so what you see and use is RealiDrums, not Kontakt.

If your computer operating system is 64 bit then your download will be 64 bit while if the operating system is 32 bit the download is 32 bit. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are 32 bit products so you may need jBridge ($10 one time fee) for the 64 bit VST to work.

RealiDrums has two modes of operation, VST and standalone. As a VST RealiDrums will play whatever midi data that is on the Band-in-a-Box or RealBand drum track. You can also use the program in standalone mode to create midi data then import the data into Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.

Jim Fogle #497023 10/21/18 07:29 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
drutgat,

In this instance, no but with a few stipulations. RealiDrums uses the free Kontakt player. In this instance Kontakt is used as the motor/transmission (drivetrain) powering the VST so what you see and use is RealiDrums, not Kontakt.

If your computer operating system is 64 bit then your download will be 64 bit while if the operating system is 32 bit the download is 32 bit. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are 32 bit products so you may need jBridge ($10 one time fee) for the 64 bit VST to work.

RealiDrums has two modes of operation, VST and standalone. As a VST RealiDrums will play whatever midi data that is on the Band-in-a-Box or RealBand drum track. You can also use the program in standalone mode to create midi data then import the data into Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for this.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

John Lennon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200