Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have been trying to learn about VSTs. I went to the net and it said get your .dll file into your DAW. You guys have said that, too.

So I looked to see if I have any VSTs. When I bought my Scarlet interface, it installed Red 2 and Red 3 on my computer. I found those, went to RB and told it to add a VST plug-in. I highlighted Red 2.dll. I got an error message that said I couldn't do that because Steinberg red 2 is not a valid VST. It also told me I needed jbridge.

I remember buying jbridge so I checked on file explorer. Sure enough, there it is.

Is this some kind of RB quirk or is it something I just don't understand?

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Realband is a 32 bit application while the Read 2 and 3 are likely 64 bit VSTs.

What jBridge does is help 32 bit VSTs work in 64 bit applications and 64 bit VSTs work in 32 bit applications so in theory the VSTs should work.

What version of Microsoft Windows is on your computer and is it a 32 or 64 bit version?

Windows likes to keep 32 and 64 stuff separate so what is the directory path for the dlls? It might help to also know the path and version for jBridge too even though that is supposed to be one of those things that "just works".

Last, exactly what step-by-step instructions did you follow to insert the VST? Did you try to install the VST onto an audio track?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
The computer is running Win 10, 64 bit.

Directory path is Local Drive C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\Red 2 EQ.dll

C:\jbridge

To be honest, I am so frustrated with this thing that I don't remember what I did with Red.

However, I also have the free version of Cakewalk which has Studio Instruments. I saw a video about the SI-Bass and decided I could really use that. I tried to install it on a track by going to the VST button. No luck. It says no such file exists.

At this point, I am giving up on doing anything else complicated until I can get some help. I have looked at the BB and RB tutorials. I appreciate them but they are not getting me anywhere. I can't drag the .dll files in. I can't get anything to work. People post about this great plugin and that one. I just sit there and think I would like to have it but I have no hope of being able to use it.

I will gladly pay someone to teach me how to work with VSTs and to get them to work in BB/RB. Without that, it is just too frustrating to try.

As always, thanks for the help. You folks are great people.

2b

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Cakewalk's Studio Instruments only work with Cakewalk unless you purchased the standalone Studio Instruments package prior to Cakewalk intellectual property changing ownership.

The paths you provided confirms the dll is 64 bit and that jBridge is installed. I'm not sure where to take it now so I'll stop.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, I don't have a C:\Jbridge folder
First thing I'd want is to know is whether JBridge works, then (if it does)

On my system the Red plugins seemed to have installed to
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
This is a common location for VST installers

You may want to try adding the Red VSTs from that folder, if it exists and is different than your original 'Add VST' folder.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi 2bSolo,

If you open the Control Panel and click on Programs and Features, is JBridge listed there? That's a better way to confirm that it's installed than looking for a folder in Explorer.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
It makes sense it would be that way. Funny thing is that I just watched a video that talked about free VSTs for bass. It showed SI-Bass and the guy brought it into Reaper.

This is all very confusing.

2b

RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Kent,

I found the path file for jbridge and I remember paying for it. So it should be installed.

I don't have a menu for Programs and Features. Mine says Apps and Features. jbridge does not show up there, but a lot of things don't.

Thanks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Kent is talking about the Windows control panel where you manage programs by uninstalling the programs you no longer want. I don't have Windows 10 so I'm not sure what it is called in Windows 10 but older Windows product called it control panel.

At one time Cakewalk offered a standalone version of the Studio Instruments suite that could be used by itself or as a VST in other DAWs like Reaper. A lot of people bought it (but regretfully I didn't) during sales where the price dropped to $49 US.

That is one big issue I have with YouTube videos. Too many people make videos using optional stuff without disclosing full details. For instance you'll frequently see videos about "here's how to do something" and will state "I'm using XYZ daw but you can do this with any daw" then use one or more features exclusive to the daw they're using. If you're not using XYZ daw then you've just wasted your time trying to learn something you can't use. Another gripe is you'll watch a midi video and they'll say use the Windows built in midi then they will turn around and use TTS-1, Kontakt or SampleTank. They get so use to using their normal set-up they forget what the defaults are. As you can attest, sometimes the videos are more frustrating than helpful.

One last thought regarding jBridege. The jBridge developer originally created a beta version of jBridge that automatically integrated with Band-in-a-Box (I'm not sure about RealBand). It was some time before the beta was released and the changes became part of the "normal" jBridge. The latest version is v1.75 which has been in beta since 2016. You may want to try downloading and installing it. There is also a VERY detailed step-by-step troubleshooting guide +++ HERE +++

I sincerely hope you will NOT get too frustrated to continue. The ability to add VST effects and instruments is a powerful tool to have in your audio production toolbox.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 10/10/18 06:27 AM. Reason: Added jBridge comments

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi
In W10
If you have not moved it or pinned it somewhere else
You should find control panel under Windows System at the bottom of your apps list on the left scroll down.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi 2bSolo,

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, and do have both Programs and Features, and Apps and Features dialogs, I can find either one using the Search box on my Task Bar. JBridge shows up in both lists, so if it isn't showing up in yours, I'd say JBridge likely isn't installed correctly.

Reinstalling it using the installer JBridge emailed to you should solve your problem.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the info and the kind words, Jim.

I am just about ready to give up on the VST's. My experiences have not been good. I tried to download some free stuff from IK (Sample Tank). I did exactly what they recommended, nothing custom. There were parts of the program all over my hard drive and I couldn't get any of it to work. I just deleted all of it.

I found some things in my VST folder that had the BB logo beside them. They don't work either.

So, I just did it the old fashioned way. I got out my bass, learned the part BB midi had written, got a tone I liked, practiced and put it down. But it took all afternoon. How much easier it would have been to get a bass VST and use the midi track.

This is partially my fault. There are way too many terms that I don't know. When people explain things on the forum, I am still lost. I have not found any place I can learn about this and find out why it isn't working for me. The Berklee course doesn't address it.

I hate to start learning a new DAW but I may have to go through the Reaper videos that Gioia does. They are pretty good. Maybe that will work for me. Although, one of the early lessons has downloading a VST for piano. Guess what? I couldn't get it to work.

My offer stands: If someone is willing to use remote access, figure out what is wrong and teach me, I am willing to pay. Otherwise, I'm stuck, at least for now.

Again, thanks to Jim and all of you. You really are great people. There are about 10 of you that are dedicated to helping the rest of us, and I appreciate you.

2b

RealBand
B
B
this may help

I use both 32bit as well 64 bit VSTs and they are stored in separate locations.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000177084-VST-plug-in-locations-on-Windows

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: bdimarzio
this may help

I use both 32bit as well 64 bit VSTs and they are stored in separate locations.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000177084-VST-plug-in-locations-on-Windows

Exactly so.

Relevant post with screenshots here: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495128#Post495128

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi, I don’t want to upset anyone. In the words of Kenny Gioia and I quote “ok”.

In the control panel to find the programs you open up the control panel and it will be under Programs and Features. OK to get to the control panel in Win10 go to the search box (assuming you have not put it away) type “Control” select the control panel. If you don’t have a search box right click on the task bar and under the Search option selects “Show search box”.

The nice thing about Win10 is they now use the Settings area. So click on the Windows icon (where you open your icons) click on the Settings cog wheel. In the settings window click on Apps then Apps and Features. It shows the same as the control panel method.

I guess if Jbridge is not there it is not installed.

32 bit apps and VSTs are usually installed in a folder under Program Files (86) on a 64 bit machine. 64 bit apps and VSTs are in a folder under Program Files.

It is possible to have VSTs stored in many folders. The trick is to ensure your DAW or BIAB or RealBand knows where the relevant folders and VSTs are. The reason I mention this is that it has come up several times lately. There is no right place but avoid having too many places if at all possible.

Hope this helps
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 10/14/18 12:32 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
RealBand
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks to all who are trying to help.

According to my file directory, I have jbridge. I'm not sure that is the problem but it is, I have to reinstall. I don't seem to have the jbridge installer, so I will have to contact the company.

Recent reading and your posts tell me that VST files can be lots of places. It was IK that said that couldn't happen.

I am going to try again soon. I will document my steps and let you know what happens.

2b

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

Yes indeed VSTs can be in many places depending where you download and install to . Generally they will be in:;
On 32 bit windows program files for 32 bit vst
On 64 bit windows program files x86 for 32 bit vst
On 64 bit windows program files for 64 bit vst.
Some time they use or make a Steinberg folder.
To save confusion I always put mine in their own folder, within a folder, called My VSTs in windows Mymusic folder when downloaded
This makes them easy to find when adding in BIAB.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
According to my file directory, I have jbridge. I'm not sure that is the problem but it is, I have to reinstall. I don't seem to have the jbridge installer, so I will have to contact the company.

Just go to the jBridge site. Then over on the right hand side, click on the link for "jBridge 1.74 update". Then on the next screen, just enter your email address you used when you originally got jBridge and click submit. Shortly afterwards, you'll receive a copy of the jBridge installer already customized for your license (so you don't have to enter any license information). You'll need something like 7-zip to unzip the file, and then unzip the resulting file, which will then get you the installer. Run the installer (I would suggest "as administrator") to install the jBridge program.

For BIAB/RealBand, that's all you need to do. They will know from the registry that it is installed and be able to use it. For other DAW's and audio software, you may have to run the jbridger utility, but not for BIAB or RealBand.

What you do NOT want to do is to just download the jBridge demo on the main page, as that is NOT the licensed version and BIAB/RealBand won't work correctly with it.

Hope this helps.

Also, I did a write-up on how I keep all my VST/VSTi's sorted (I copy from their original locations to my common location, separated by 32-bit versus 64-bit) and then point everything there. Takes a little time to do, but well worth it, as once I have most of my stuff installed, it doesn't change unless I get some new VST/VSTi's. And for installers that let me specify where to install them, I point them to that common location and the appropriate subfolder. It has made my VST/VSTi life so much easier.

Here's a link to the write-up I did on how it is set up on my machine. You don't have to do it that way, but it definitely works well for me.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi 2bSolo,

We have backups of the emails JBridge sends our customers, and have forwarded the original email to you, which has the JBridge installer attached.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome support effort Kent

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,537
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200