Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I recently acquired a Scarlett 6i6 (after a long list of various interfaces, both USB and analog.) The Control software is relatively complex (to me at least.. not as much as the M-Audio, but the flexibility of routing options is daunting.)

What I am trying to accomplish is this.. I have a beloved external MIDI module (Ketron SD1000) which I would LIKE to use in conjunction with Real Tracks (or even some of the great Super MIDI tracks.) I eventually figured out how to setup the Focusrite Control to route the analog input of the SD1000 so I can hear it through the monitor headphones, or even output through my stereo amp.

Where I am getting stumped is being able to RECORD the mix to a .WAV file on my PC. Exacerbating the issue is the plethora of Sound devices I have available.

My motherboard (graphics card) includes Nvidia HDMI outs, as well as a Sound Blaster Recon 3Di (which offers me a "What U Hear" input and SPDIF output in BIAB Audi Settings.)

I also have the option of the Focusrite USB (input and output) where the choice of ports is handed over to the Focusrite ) which has 1/2 and 3/4 analog as well as SPDIF in and SPDIF out.

Once upon a time I used to use a program called iRecord (which still operates) to record "What You Hear." Currently I am able to get that to record the MIDI from the SD1000 OR the Real Tracks but never BOTH mixed (which I can hear on the monitor or stereo.)

I also have Audacity which I used to be able to use (once upon a time) with its Loopback feature, to record a mix of RealTracks and MIDI. I can no longer get THAT to work.

My machine is pretty fast, and I have no issues with latency using MME (I try to keep it simple.) Any attempts at WAS give me the dreaded -9998 error.

Anyone have experience with a combo like this? All suggestions appreciated.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Expert
Expert
Hi

Well it seems to me in general terms that:
Once you have sent your midi out to an external midi module like your Ketron
And found a way of hearing it
Any of the sources that you can hear on whatever device, are the ones you need to find as inputs on your recording device say, Audacity under the input tab pull down where the mic is in the tool bar.
Or indeed any other wave recorder you may use
You may need a Y adapter if hard wiring the audio to the recording device and you still want to use the head phone at source to monitor.
But normally you can move your headphones on and monitor the recording devices input or output instead once you get the sound coming in,
Try to construct a simple in line chain like this, and try not to get involved in looping things back to the same device.
Mike
Later edit
If you want to involve the Scarlet on the way to add bits and bobs. then send the Ketron’s audio to the Scarlet line inputs and then choose the Scarlet to monitor, and use its output to your wave recorders input.

Last edited by Mike Head; 10/07/18 04:55 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
I use Adobe Audition and record the mix in real time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I guess I should have been more specific in my request. Does anyone here have specific experience with Focusrite Control program who has successfully used a Scarlett as a mixer to record Real Tracks, and audio from multiple Scarlett inputs (specifically 1 - XLR mike in and 3-4 (line in from an external MIDI module?)

There are really three sets of variables... The Windows Control Panel Sound options, the BIAB audio options and the I/O options of the recording program (preferably Audacity.) Audacity does not give me the choices of the outputs I can hear as recording devices.)

Thanks

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Expert
Expert
Had a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 for about a year. Found the Mic inputs quite OK, but the software interface a little unpractical and complicated, so i sold it after a while because of that mainly. Although it worked fine, and after sales services and helpdesk from Focusrite was very good. F.

Veteran
Veteran
I understand. I have three Focusrite Scarlett units. Not only is the software complicated, but there is a considerable difference between the first and second generation units and the software is not interchangeable. You didn’t say which you have.

I mix all inputs in the Scarlett then record the stereo out in real time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Audacity won't be able to see all of the Focusrite's I/O in a Windows environment due to the limits in Windows audio drivers. The only way to be able to make use of all I/O is to use the Focusrite supplied ASIO drivers which bypass the OS completely. However, as you have found, Audacity isn't licensed to use ASIO drivers, although I believe that there are ways of making them work. So for Audacity and other Windows A/V apps you are stuck with basic stereo I/O. WASAPI drivers may allow up to eight channels of I/O.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I finally got it working as I wanted.. I ran the line out of my Scarlett with a Y cable to the line in on my motherboard Sound Blaster. Set the SPDIF out of the Sound Blaster as default Windows playback, and the Focusrite USB as default record device. This is the only way I could record MIDI with no latency. I used the iSound app instead of Audacity with the Playback set to SB SPDIF and and Record device as the Recording Device and SPDIF out as the recording Source.

I pretty much randomly clicked on stuff in the Focusrite Control, because I still don't have a CLUE as to what all THAT crap does. When I heard a mix come out of my Scarlett Monitor phones, I hit record and when I played back the .WAV I had a mix. I just saved and screen shot all the settings. This has been a bit of a nightmare. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to add the XLR mike in to the Scarlett mix. Thanks for the suggestions.

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

For anyone interested, the i-Sound Recorder is about $30 US and has always come through for me when other recorders have failed... https://www.abyssmedia.com/products.shtml

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Why not consider an Mixer? Input all your sources to the mixer and send a stereo mix to your Computer. The stereo mix can go to any DAW, or Audacity. The mixer can be Analog, Digital, a hybrid and be with/without a USB output interface. Any of them will work.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
An analog mixer will introduce noise. A digital mixer could work.

But the real problem here is that the Focusrite Scarlett software IS a mixer; it's just very complex to learn.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
An analog mixer will introduce noise. A digital mixer could work.

But the real problem here is that the Focusrite Scarlett software IS a mixer; it's just very complex to learn.

Hi Matt. The mixer suggestion was suggested to simplify both physical routing as well as avoiding the complexities of the Scarlett software mixer. It's a moot point now that PhillyJazz has his system working but I'm not clearly understanding your distinction between noise of an analog mixer and digital mixer. Both will inherently introduce noise and that will be determined by the quality of the mixer preamps as well as what point in the signal path after the preamp the audio is tapped for the ADC. I'm thinking most mixer line level outputs will be on par with the line out of PhillyJazz's Ketron SD1000 or audio out of his keyboard. Just curious.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
At this point, I AM using the Scarlett as a mixer. It's just the actual recording device (Sound Blaster Line In) that is an analog line-in. I do not hear any "noise" per se that I would consider a deal-killer. An audiophile may argue, but it serves my purposes.

MY real issue stems from not really knowing where the Realtracks "live" in the mix. I have no problem recording THEM without the Sound Blaster, but the current configuration is the only one that lets me record MIDI along with the RealTracks (with near zero latency.)

The monitoring on the Scarlett is great when I use a woodwind controller to record MIDI tracks along the the RealTracks. I just tested it using the BIAB "record audio" function, and my XLR Input 1 is live. I can monitor the background and MIDI as I record an audio track, so all is good. It's been years chasing this particular setup. What a relief !

And I was also just able to get Audacity to record using the line-in of the SB and the Scarlett as the playback !!!

Last edited by PhillyJazz; 10/10/18 03:09 AM.

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi PhillyJazz. Yes, I'm glad you've worked out your issue so there's no need for you to consider a mixer in your situation but I was curious for Matt give some feedback about the noise issue from a mixer a bit more. The Scarlett mixer is ideal in your particular setup.

Veteran
Veteran
I have only used stand-alone mixers on the line-level output side for years (decades?) because using them on the input introduces more noise. I’m referring mostly to microphone low-level signals. It’s very bothersome to me to have any additional input noise.

The Scarlett mixer software is powerful but admittedly difficult to master no matter how many tutorial videos you watch. Is yours a new one (what they call 2nd Generation)? I actually found the software rewrite to be more difficult than the original (which was a big letdown).

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yeah.. This is the Gen2. I had a 2i4 awhile back, but the USB connector broke, and it is a sealed unit. Out of warranty, or I could have fixed it with a soldering gun and a couple of bucks.

Had not intended to get another one, but this now has a SPDIF out so easily replaced my Kontakt Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (very simple, but the input levels were just too low for my mike placement when I shot desktop videos.)

Last edited by PhillyJazz; 10/10/18 04:15 AM.

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good. The 6i6 has the same mixer software as my 18i20 (2).

I have an older 18i20 (1) on my backup machine, and an older 6i6 (1) on my Mac. The units have all been very robust, though I don’t move them like someone with a 200-series might.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks for your reply Matt. I was just curious to your workflow. I agree that with a Scarlett, the native preamps are more than adequate for superior recording results and there's no need for exterior preamps (that will add some amount of noise).

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Once you get up to the 6i6 external power is needed anyway.. Most of the mixers I'd used had USB power.. I do need phantom for my condenser mikes, though..

32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
It’s not in front of me but I thought the 6i6 had a switch for phantom power. The 18i20s certainly do, in banks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,621
Posts735,185
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185