Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
https://youtu.be/hUKGWZhJ2vo

Hey guys,

So with all the forum discussions about streamlining/enhancing/improving your workflow with DAWs, and particularly Reaper, I made a quick video to demonstrate how easy the process is. (Note that the process for transferring tracks from Realband to Reaper is identical, as Realband has the same drag-and-drop features/functions in this regard).

There are some things I discussed regarding MIDI that I subsequently realized did not apply to the particular demo track I used, so please watch the video through to the end where I inserted an addendum before jumping down my throat in the comments…

Also, I apologize for the distorted audio and pops and crackles you may hear at certain points. I only realized after I recorded this video that my microphone boost was set at max :-(

I really hope this helps some of you folks out there. Please do let me know in the comments whether more videos would be appreciated and what topic(s) you would like to see covered. As a busy family man with an unrelated day job--which more often than not bleeds into the evening as well--my time is rather limited. That said, there are so many exciting things that can be accomplished with this program when you start applying bleeding-edge plugins developed for EDM and Trap, and, by using MIDI in certain ways, you can get quite astonishing results I never would have thought possible when I first discovered this program some years back. In short, I'm really honored to share some of my discoveries with you guys (who, as someone who simply plays guitar and bass now and then, I consider the REAL musicians and composers!)

Finally I'd like to note that my YT channel is not monetized (at least as far as I know since I never changed it from the default settings) and I'm not looking for likes, subscribes, or shares…I'd just be thrilled if I can give back to this wonderful community that's so incredible, supportive, and overall friendly, and has taught me so much!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Hi DeaconBlues09,
Many thanks for this.

I found your video helpful, and left some questions on YouTube about BIAB's conversion of files to MIDI.

I thought that I would include the questions I had here, as well, as others may read them on this forum without having to watch the video.

Thanks again.

Why will BIAB only render to MIDI the instruments which are underlined in the list at the top of the screen? Is this a deliberate limitation, 'encouraging' people to buy more tracks?

Is there any way of changing those instruments which are unable to be changed to MIDI at the moment, so that they will actually be rendered as MIDI?

I notice in your example that the strings are not able to be rendered to MIDI. Is this the case for all strings in BIAB?

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey drutgat,

I'll address these in turn.

Quote:
Why will BIAB only render to MIDI the instruments which are underlined in the list at the top of the screen? Is this a deliberate limitation, 'encouraging' people to buy more tracks?

I don't think it's a deliberate limitation, it really has to do with whether or not "RealCharts" are written into the tracks, which I imagine takes a substantial amount of time and effort to do, so PGM is selective about how many tracks they write RealCharts for.

Quote:
Is there any way of changing those instruments which are unable to be changed to MIDI at the moment, so that they will actually be rendered as MIDI?

In theory, no. But I've actually managed to this with a fair amount of accuracy some monophonic instruments (e.g. trumpet, lead guitar) by rendering audio to MIDI, which is a new feature that came out in BiaB 2018.

Quote:
I notice in your example that the strings are not able to be rendered to MIDI. Is this the case for all strings in BIAB?

As a MIDI supertrack, the strings track already was MIDI and hence did not need to be rendered.

Finally, I'd like to point out (and I forgot to in the video, that I had populated the "Piano" slot with an audio loop and not a Realtrack, so ofc that was the reason that patch did not render to MIDI.

Editing to add that I address how to know before loading a track whether it has a RealChart (which can be either in standard notation or tab and std notation) at about 3:15 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jyd1Y7u6MI

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 10/10/18 11:42 PM.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Hi DeaconBlues09,
Many thanks for your swift, informative, and helpful reply.

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
Expert
Expert
Thanks for the video. Whilst I don’t use the export feature (I export to wav and pull them into Reaper) what I do have set up is the SWS Auto Color and Icon layout under the Extensions Tab. That way as I pull the tracks in they often get the appropriate icon and my preferred track colours. Where I have a different instrument to what is in the native BIAB (eg if I have a guitar in the piano track in the BIAB mixer field ) I simply change the name to correct it. I also have markers etc colour coded in the same place that way I can run though once stop start add Markers and they have the colours I want. It all makes life easier.

My thoughts Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Thanks for the video. Whilst I don’t use the export feature (I export to wav and pull them into Reaper) what I do have set up is the SWS Auto Color and Icon layout under the Extensions Tab. That way as I pull the tracks in they often get the appropriate icon and my preferred track colours. Where I have a different instrument to what is in the native BIAB (eg if I have a guitar in the piano track in the BIAB mixer field ) I simply change the name to correct it. I also have markers etc colour coded in the same place that way I can run though once stop start add Markers and they have the colours I want. It all makes life easier.

My thoughts Tony

Hi Tony,
That is very interesting.

I am sure that once I purchase BIAB (waiting for the new release), I will re-post here with questions for you and DB09.

John Lennon
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Always a pleasure :-)

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Teunis

My thoughts Tony

This is really neat, Teunis. I've only used the SWS extensions for sampling and sequencing type stuff and using MIDI notes as "switches." Thanks for pointing this out!

Expert
Expert
Good communicating, Deacon.
My involvement in Reaper accelerated after I was challenged to
adjust 12 Band-in-a-Box Wavs to the same effect; namely, knocking down some of the mid-range on the guitar tracks.
The project folder has 12 numbered sub folders, one for each song. Each song folder contains three sub folders of its own. They are:
1) Sheet music production: Here is Crescendo (free from NCH,)
which is a scoring program, MS Paint, and Scribus, an open source high end desktop publishing program. The scores are produced in Crescendo, snagged and opened in Paint, where the words are added. The product is a JPEG.
2) Band-in a Box. This is where the original SGUs (note that is plural) and WAV tracks are stored, after each has been assessed in the on board mixer. If it gets crowded, the SGUs may be filed as well.
3) The Reaper folder. Each song has an RPP. The WAV files that have not been eliminated are transferred to this file. That step is necessary because those WAVs are going to show up in the explorer window. A key file carries the name "bounce."
That's the compiled WAV which has been run through the Reaper mill. There is one last step, and that is to convert the bounced file with Switch, audio file converter to high quality CD.
=============
That bounced file is now pasted into the songs master folder. That song folder now has the three subfolders and two files. The two files are a bounced and a converted WAV and JPEGs of the score.
Let's say a change must be made in the score. Open the JPEG in MS Paint, make the change, save it, and that change automatically shows up in the Scribus, which has an easy export to Pdf. The same goes for any of the audio files. Identify the problem, locate the source, and make the correction. Then put the corrected file through the paces.
=============
I transfer the 12 WAVs into a digital recorder as a matter of preference. This process is leadiing up to another bounce, where the heads and tails are cut, and the volume is adjusted. The WAVs are then played into the recording platform of choice, right and left channels.

Anyone see any holes in this method? Once the process has been set up, it actually saves time and surprises.

Last edited by edshaw; 10/13/18 12:39 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: edshaw
I transfer the 12 WAVs into a digital recorder as a matter of preference. This process is leadiing up to another bounce, where the heads and tails are cut, and the volume is adjusted. The WAVs are then played into the recording platform of choice, right and left channels.

Anyone see any holes in this method? Once the process has been set up, it actually saves time and surprises.

Tony,
You lost me at the part quoted above.

Why the transfer to the digital recorder? i.e., why not stay in Reaper for this cutting the heads and tails and adjusting the volume?

And why play the WAVs into the recording platform 'live'/in real time, using an analogue (physical) connection?

John Lennon
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Good communicating, Deacon.
My involvement in Reaper accelerated after I was challenged to
adjust 12 Band-in-a-Box Wavs to the same effect; namely, knocking down some of the mid-range on the guitar tracks.
The project folder has 12 numbered sub folders, one for each song. Each song folder contains three sub folders of its own. They are:
1) Sheet music production: Here is Crescendo (free from NCH,)
which is a scoring program, MS Paint, and Scribus, an open source high end desktop publishing program. The scores are produced in Crescendo, snagged and opened in Paint, where the words are added. The product is a JPEG.
2) Band-in a Box. This is where the original SGUs (note that is plural) and WAV tracks are stored, after each has been assessed in the on board mixer. If it gets crowded, the SGUs may be filed as well.
3) The Reaper folder. Each song has an RPP. The WAV files that have not been eliminated are transferred to this file. That step is necessary because those WAVs are going to show up in the explorer window. A key file carries the name "bounce."
That's the compiled WAV which has been run through the Reaper mill. There is one last step, and that is to convert the bounced file with Switch, audio file converter to high quality CD.
=============
That bounced file is now pasted into the songs master folder. That song folder now has the three subfolders and two files. The two files are a bounced and a converted WAV and JPEGs of the score.
Let's say a change must be made in the score. Open the JPEG in MS Paint, make the change, save it, and that change automatically shows up in the Scribus, which has an easy export to Pdf. The same goes for any of the audio files. Identify the problem, locate the source, and make the correction. Then put the corrected file through the paces.
=============

Hi Edshaw,

I must confess that I'm struggling to see what each of these steps accomplish, and, as I'm no expert myself, I'm very intrigued.

Re 1: Sheet Music) Why would you export to JPEG from your scoring program? Why not export to MIDI? Reaper has been supporting an editable notation view/mode since (IIRC) release v5.

Re 2: SGUs). That needs no explanation, ofc.

Re 3: Reaper Stuff) Each project directory (assuming you set up your project folders so that everything is saved in subfolders to the same folder) will have WAVs (assuming that's the format you selected in the project settings) and RPP files regardless. As someone who owned a Korg digital 4 track in the early naughts, I understand the concept of bouncing, but why is that necessary in a DAW like Reaper where you have infinite tracks and subtracks available? Regarding converting bounced files, why not use Reaper's brilliantly configurable render functions?

As for the last bit, your score can be edited in Reaper (and then even printed from there), any adjustments you need to make with fade ins/outs, tails, volume adjustments, etc, can be accomplished by editing your tracks, setting volume and FX automation lanes, and even overdubbing mixer/FX parameter moves in realtime w/o affecting the original audio.

Again, I'm a relative newbie and hobbyist compared to most the folks here, so if I'm missing something, I would love to hear more!

Best,

DB

Expert
Expert
1) My answer to that is to give the WAV the benefit of running the signal through two high end audio processors, especially when using a multi channel digital recorder. I've been a TEAC fan since reel to reel, and safely claim TEAC audio file handling is second to none. Only Sony can compare. Any of those units inherited analog circuitry. They had to. They all have code/decode, codecs, to enable playing WAVs. I'm saying do not overlook Reaper's bounce function.
There is my answer, for better or worse. Each of us has invested great time and money in recorders and/or computers that we feel can do the job. Why cut that input benefit out of the loop just to save a little time?
Starting with a great product, the BiaB WAV renderings, and tweaking with Reaper is a combination I've seen grow with forum members here.
2) I know this is off the track. I probably should not have brough up the subject of lead sheets, but, since I did, With respect to workflow described to produce lead sheets, hardly a practice session goes by but that I don't make one or more corrections to the existing scores. After taking the first image exported by Crescendo and transferring (snagging) it to Paint,
I never returned to the former way, especially as concerns text.
If the Paint files look a little degraded, not to worry. The Pdf conversion takes care of that.

Last edited by edshaw; 10/14/18 04:34 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for that, edshaw.

John Lennon
Veteran
Veteran
User Pipeline should see this, me thinks. If ever there was a Reaper enthusiast around here, that would be him wink

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Icelander
User Pipeline should see this, me thinks. If ever there was a Reaper enthusiast around here, that would be him wink

Hi Icelander,
Thanks for mentioning Pipeline as someone who is a Reaper enthusiast.

And to know about you, too - I presume that you, too, are a Reaper user, given that you posted on this thread.

It is useful for me to know about people around 'here' who use Reaper as I plan to really start using it properly in the next little while, and will probably have many questions.

I am also on the Cockos forums.

All the best,

Geert

John Lennon
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: drutgat
I presume that you, too, are a Reaper user, given that you posted on this thread.
Have to disappoint you there, never even used it or seen it. I just saw the term Reaper and immediately thought Pipeline, that's all.
This thread was actually promoted on PG's front page, or props are I would've ignored or missed it altogether.

Last edited by Icelander; 10/22/18 06:25 AM. Reason: Correcting mistakes

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Icelander

Methinks that the content of this video is to Pipeline what the English alphabet is to an English professor. From stuff I've seen on a number of other forums and sites, I strongly suspect that Pipeline is a developer/writer of some of the most advanced Reascripts and/or SWS extensions.

We are extremely fortunate to have him with us here on the forums!

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Thanks DeaconBlues09

John Lennon
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great video !
Love REAPER. it would be good to see some videos with BB and REATRAK https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Great video !
Love REAPER. it would be good to see some videos with BB and REATRAK https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645

Thanks Pipeline, it's something I'll definitely consider doing in the near future!

BTW, I just installed Minihost yesterday, and it worked like a dream for about 5 minutes before crashing BiaB :-( I'll try and see if can carve out some time to troubleshoot the issue.

Deacon

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195