Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I downloaded the Roland Sound Canvas VA demo yesterday, no problems installing it and selecting it as a VSTi in BIAB, but there's no sound when a midi track is generated, I can see the green meter moving as though it's playing, it does however work perfectly in Sonar Home Studio, so it seems to be a BIAB problem, has anyone else tried it.

Cheers,
Keith

Expert
Expert
you have got to select the plug in for each instrument over at the mixer top right corner, did you try that.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
you have got to select the plug in for each instrument over at the mixer top right corner, did you try that.

Shouldn't have to do that if VA is selected as the Default Synth.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Expert
Expert
Hi
I don’t know the beast but, if the meters are moving then it is receiving midi so the problem must lie with where the audio is being sent.
Vsi have to tell the host programme how many outputs it has so that host can redirect them to its sound out.
You may find a setting in the plug in to set the output .
Also it may be worth temp switching to mme drivers in case it’s a problem with multiple instances of asio or was.
Sorry I cant be more specific,
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Expert
Expert
Just down loaded it and I get no sound as well. I think you do have to select individual tracks for instruments and midi channels, I see the bar moving on the track in the roland but no sound ?.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .

Expert
Expert
I am sure a few forum members had this working in biab, the quest goes on !.

Expert
Expert
hi again

You may find this info useful re compatibility.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/

Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Expert
Expert
Thanks Mike it does mention sonar pro but not biab, although I never expected it too.. just positive some forum members tried trial and had it workng in biab.

Last edited by beatmaster; 10/13/18 03:15 AM.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for trying, at least it's not me then, switching to MME, ASIO or WAS doesn't make any difference, and I have tried adding the plugin for each instrument at the mixer.

Pity it doesn't work, I bet this would be excellent with BIAB midi, I would love to hear from any members that have managed to get this working within BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
According to the documentation that I found

https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/

and the documentation that Mike found

https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary/sound-canvas-va

you have to load a sound map to make this GM compatible.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Mario

Thanks for your input what is a ..sound map to make this GM compatible.

Another vst or...?. Anyone.

You mean like an ini. file or pat. file.

Last edited by beatmaster; 10/13/18 07:20 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
When this was first released a couple years ago some here messed with it and they found it doesn't work with a whole lot of apps but when it does work it sounds pretty good. This is also a problem:

No plugin bridge will enable to run 32bit SOUND Canvas VA on 64bit OS/DAW environment.

Overall, while it will work with some things it's really not very useful starting with if you're on Win 10, forget it. As far as using a GM synth and what to do if your not using a GM synth, there's a very good tutorial on that in the Help files.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Bob

Thanks for your input, your right I will stick with sample tank.

You always look at things as they are, as I have seen in past postings.

Again thanks.

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Guys,

The 32-bit version of the Sound Canvas VA has never made sound in Band-in-a-Box for some reason, but the 64-bit version works like a charm, as long as you have JBridge. It's the only plugin I've ever encountered with this issue.

If you've already added the 32-bit version to Band-in-a-Box, you can clear it out by deleting "VSTiPluginList.ini" from the BB\Preferences folder. This gets rid of your list of VST instruments, allowing you to add the 64-bit version of SC VA.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
I had forgotten that point, I had to find the original thread about this from 2016. You had said then that the 64 bit version of the SCVA will work with Jbridge. And yes, even though the SCVA is ALREADY 64 bit for some reason it still needs Jbridge.

Their website still says it's $125 so the question is is it worth it? In my case I got the full SampleTank 3 during their promo last year by buying a keyboard controller for $79. Without having owned the SC8850 I can't compare the two but the SCVA has a native GM bank while ST3 does not.

One thing for sure though I'm positive this sounds much better than the old VSC, the Forte Dxi or the Coyote Wavetable. The SC8850 was a high end unit. Even though it came out in 1999, they're apparently still worth $200-250.

What do you think Kent? It's been two years since your post in that old thread.

Edit - Damn, I just listened to this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSEoQpuOieQ

It's got scat voices! There are several requests in the Real Tracks forum about that. I may get this just for that if I can confirm the VA version also has them.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 10/16/18 10:21 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Bob,

Right, the 32-bit version would be recognized natively by Band-in-a-Box since BIAB is 32-bit, but makes no sound.

The 64-bit version needs JBridge to be recognized by Band-in-a-Box, but then it actually works.

Now that the TTS-1 is no longer available in 32-bit (JBridge doesn't allow the 64-bit version to work because it's a DXi), I'd say the SCVA is going to be the best currently available GM-compatible soft-synth for use with BIAB, but might sound a bit dated compared to modern sample libraries, since the sounds are all from 20-year-old sound modules. Those sample libraries don't support GM though, and I'd say the SCVA would sound good enough for most users, especially compared to the Coyote WT.

According to Roland's site, it has the SC-8820, SC-88 Pro, SC-88, and SC-55 sounds, not SC-8850 (not sure how different the 8820 and 8850 are), but this video does have the scat sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C7oCmF4XU8

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Journeyman
Journeyman
I had every hardware version of the SC Roland made. In their day, they were SOOO "realistic." Funny how our ears evolve over the years.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Now that the TTS-1 is no longer available in 32-bit

Kent -

I think it would be awesome if PGMusic could work a deal of some sort with BandLab to obtain the right to bundle the 32-bit TTS-1 with BIAB/RealBand/PTPA. They should have the code; they've just chosen not to support 32-bit anymore.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool Kent. That vid isolates the scats very well. They're not as good as the ones in my Kurzweil PC3 Take 6 voices but still not bad at all.

Another question, it looks like this is similar to most keyboards in that not all 1600 patches are GM, correct? It has a dedicated GM bank and we would use a pat file to access the higher banks?

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Actually, Bob, I think the SCVA uses the GS standard (a superset of the GM standard). Because it rests on GM, GS will play GM files.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/GM-GS-XG-what-are-they-m400202.aspx

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195