Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Remember Computer Shopper? It was basically a book of ads plus a few articles. It was as thick as a metropolitan phone book. In the 90s it was "the" way to find out what was happening in the new world of computers, peripherals and software.

Recently I was cleaning out an old file cabinet, and there was a folder labeled "future purchases"

One of the ads I had saved for future reference was from Computer shopper's April 1992 edition. As it turns out, I bought two of the items shown on this page: Cakewalk 4.0 and Band in a Box (not sure which version of BIAB I bought first. I'm pretty sure I bought Cakewalk first, then decided it wasn't easy to use. Later a friend at work introduced me to BIAB, and I remember thinking "THIS is how music creation should work!"

(see ads below)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
whole_ad.png (435.25 KB, 176 downloads)
ad1.png (248.75 KB, 177 downloads)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for sharing Pat! That's awesome.... I totally remember perusing those books.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I remember Computer Shopper. I love seeing those old ads.

And that version of BIAB is three behind where I started (I started in version 8). I bought the ProPak and just as today, and then quickly realized that what I needed was the MegaPak (which at the time was the one with mostly everything - UltraPaks, UltraPlusPaks, and EverythingPaks came later), so when BIAB v9 came out, I upgraded to the MegaPak. Never looked back and have used BIAB for something on almost a daily basis since.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I also remember when other software first started incorporating audio loops. It was fascinating, but I thought that method of applying loops lacked the musical quality that BIAB achieved with its method of splicing snippets together into a cohesive song that followed the chords, and wasn't the same loop over and over.

At the time, people were getting frustrated by trying to play MIDI thru stock PC sound cards, and they couldn't get realistic sound. Even then the thought occurred to me that if PGMusic could ever figure out how to use audio loops the same way they were using MIDI snippets, they would have a game-changing product.

In 2008, they did!

To this day, nobody else has anything like it.

Hats off to Dr. Gannon and to everybody who has ever worked at PGMusic. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Making the idea work is much harder. And marketing the working idea into a product with a global user base is quite an accomplishment. Everybody reading this has benefited from your accomplishment. We thank you for making our lives a lot more fun than they would be without BIAB.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My first BIAB was version 4, and I had Cakewalk Pro also. Fun post, Pat.

Not long after, I noticed Notes Norton's ads in Recording Magazine or some such for a "better band in your box".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Check this out Pat, speaking of loops.... My first Sound Sampler for the Amiga, circa 1990.... I was also using Dr. T.'s KCS MIDI Sequencer and in years shortly after discovered Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition). I was a late bloomer to BIAB but had my first experience with it in the mid '90s with a Music Theory class in college.

Sunrize Industries Perfect Sound - Some old advertisements on the link too.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
pics.jpg (150.95 KB, 156 downloads)
Perfect Sound

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Check this out Pat, speaking of loops.... My first Sound Sampler for the Amiga, circa 1990.... I was also using Dr. T.'s KCS MIDI Sequencer and in years shortly after discovered Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition). I was a late bloomer to BIAB but had my first experience with it in the mid '90s with a Music Theory class in college.

I remember in the early days of computing, the Amiga was a superior product that never got the foothold in the USA that it had in Europe. It was an interesting time when different platforms fought for market share. Microsoft's alignment with IBM pushed it over the top, when people like me decided it made more sense to learn the operating system we'd probably end up using at work... and PCs surged ahead of Amiga and Apple in sales, even though both of those were superior products.

And your post about the Perfect Sound Board reminded me of the first product I bought in my search for better MIDI output. It was a Roland Sound Canvas daughter board, which attached to some of the early Sound Blaster cards that were mainly for games, not music production. The daughter board had great sounds, and I used it until the Sound Blaster croaked. After which, I bought a Roland XV-3080 rack unit, which I still have... along with a bunch of expansion boards

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
My first BIAB was version 4, and I had Cakewalk Pro also. Fun post, Pat.

Not long after, I noticed Notes Norton's ads in Recording Magazine or some such for a "better band in your box".

I find it interesting that so many early adopters of BIAB are still active users! How many products from the early days of computing still exist at all, let alone still have faithful users who have been on board from the beginning?

as a tie-in to another thread about market share: PGMusic's ability to stay relevant in a changing market probably has a lot to do with their longevity (and therefore cumulative global user base). They outlived a lot of their original competitors, and they've parlayed their unique approach to making music so that the survivors haven't made them irrelevant.

The ability to export tracks directly to other DAWS was a brilliant idea, because it eliminated the idea that you only need one piece of music making software. By positioning itself as one part of a multi-faceted system of music creation, I think PGMusic pretty much carved out a niche that has become unassailable.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
It was an interesting time when different platforms fought for market share. Microsoft's alignment with IBM pushed it over the top, when people like me decided it made more sense to learn the operating system we'd probably end up using at work... and PCs surged ahead of Amiga and Apple in sales, even though both of those were superior products.

Spot on Pat. I worked at a "Software ETC" computer store in 1989. That year most PC software sales was business/productivity software and they were getting a foothold on gaming software. We did sell lots of Sound Blaster 1.0 and Adlib sound cards. Amiga had the edge on games, art (Deluxe Paint), music followed by Apple. The original Macintoshes' were popular and Amiga had adopted their windows desktop look before M$ had got there. Of course M$/IBM would steal share from the others as you mentioned.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I also find it interesting that in 1992, Cakewalk Pro cost $175 while BIAB cost $59 (what would that be today, adjusted for inflation?)

Yet, today, Cakewalk is free while a first-time purchase of BIAB can run as much as $669!

Prices adjusted for what the market will bear? You can't charge more for a product that nobody wants to buy!

And given a marketplace that is so glutted with similar products that a popular product like Sonar is abandoned, then resurrected for free... PGMusic's ability to continue charging relatively high prices for its flagship product tells us all we need to know about the demand for BIAB. People tend to vote with their wallets. They won't spend money for products they don't want.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Of course M$/IBM would steal share from the others as you mentioned.

yeah, and they also stole a lot of ideas from their more creative counterparts.. like the GUI

Also one of the Mac's early advantages was that they had a standardized SDK, so all of their software looked the same, making it easy to learn any program that was available. PC software, on the other hand, was all over the place, with everybody trying to create their own interface.

Visual Basic changed that. With a standard set of menus and dialog boxes etc, it wasn't long before a bunch of top-notch shareware emerged for the PC... all of which looked and worked the same way.

Sorry for saying stuff everybody already knows, but I'm on a roll down memory lane and I can't find the brakes. ;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Sorry for saying stuff everybody already knows, but I'm on a roll down memory lane and I can't find the brakes. ;-)

Haha, totally agreed for me too!

Another BIG benefit of MAC/Amiga was that graphics/sound were integrated. You had to buy cards to put in your PC to do the same.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Pat, I don’t recall if I’ve told you this but I worked for Tandy in the 1970s. People know Tandy as Radio Shack. I used to take a computer in 1977, strap it into the passenger seat, and head to shows, schools, corporations and even TV appearances. I would often compete with the Apple dealer.

Working near the enormous IBM in Poughkeepsie NY, I sold tons of personal computers TO IBM and to IBMers years before they came out with their own personal computer in 1981.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Small world isn't it as I started with an Atari and Dr. T,s KCS! Dr T's software was way ahead of its time back then. I also used Cool Edit Pro. I then got a PC and later go Cakewalk's Pro Audio 9.

I tried BiaB back in my Atari days and I didn't like it. That is probably due to the fact I was using lousy sound sources and I didn't have the MIDI knowledge that I do today. I went back to using my external Korg DS-8 and doing everything myself.

I tried BiaB around 2000-2001 and I liked the improvements that they did. I've been using and updating every since.

It is extremely impressive that a software company has been in business for such a long time. Especially a small market software business, meaning the percentage of computer owners recording music. I understand that it is the lowest percent tile of all the specialized computer applications.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mario, in a real way I'm STILL using Cool Edit Pro. I use Adobe Audition 1.5. Version 1 simply was Cool Edit Pro renamed, and version 1.5 fixed a few things. I also have version 3 which requires ASIO but rarely fire it up since 1.5 is so stable.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In the US, Radio Shack was the poor man's way to open the gateway to computer land. The one close by my house sold the Model 1 and model 3 but also sold the Commodore and Atari product lines. Later on they sold IBM and GoldStar (Korean IBM clone).

There really isn't anything quite like Radio Shack today (sigh).

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jim, your local Radio Shack was a franchise store as opposed to a company one. They were typically much older established stores that added the part of the Radio Shack line they wanted to carry.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pat, I don’t recall if I’ve told you this but I worked for Tandy in the 1970s. People know Tandy as Radio Shack. I used to take a computer in 1977, strap it into the passenger seat, and head to shows, schools, corporations and even TV appearances. I would often compete with the Apple dealer.

Working near the enormous IBM in Poughkeepsie NY, I sold tons of personal computers TO IBM and to IBMers years before they came out with their own personal computer in 1981.

My first computer was a Tandy 1000 SX... it had:

one 5.25" floppy drive. (I upgraded to 2 so I could copy stuff)

8088 CPU running at 7.16 MHz.

640 Kb (not megs, not gigs, not Tb) of ram

no hard drive. I bought a 500 gig HD card for $500...

Monitor was monochrome green.

GWBasic! I loved that!

In the days before the internet there was PCLink, and you paid by the minute to be online. I once ran up a $200 bill because I didn't realize I was being charged. Glad those days are long gone!

tandy_1000_1s.jpg (54.85 KB, 105 downloads)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's my first one in 1983. Couldn't afford those big computers in high school.

Timex Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer

NMAH-2006-21092.jpg (481.78 KB, 95 downloads)
TS

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
HA!

That is the version I started on!

I still have it...

biab 5.jpg (296.89 KB, 94 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195