User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Sorry I haven’t had an opportunity to post on this site recently. Just amazed at the great songs you all keep putting out. Anyway, this is a song I co-wrote with a talented writer named John Vaughn, and I’m really glad to have had the opportunity to work with him on this. I hope what we have is worth the listen, and thanks in advance for any feedback you may have.

Here's the song:

Show Me

(V) You should have seen it from the sadness on my face:
the yesterdays and tomorrows you erased,
as if the years didn’t mean that much to you,
and if it’s so I guess there’s nothing I can do

(C) But I’m still needing you to
show me just a little emotion.
Tell me what you said just isn’t true.
Hold me like you just can’t live without me.
What in the world is wrong with you?

(V) Now all that’s left is this bag of memories;
the shades of what I thought our love was meant to be;
and all the doubts that keep me thinking we’re not through.
So here am I reaching out my arms to you
(I’m reaching out to you)

(C) I’m just wanting you to
What in the world can I do?

(B) We’ve been here once before,
and I don’t wanna be here anymore;
There’s no good reason to go back again
I know I shouldn’t try and let it die—
but it wouldn’t change a thing.

(C) ’Cause I’m still needing you to
What in the world can I do
to save myself from you.
(Show me you)
(Show me you)
(Show me you)

Here’s “the band”:

Drums: Nashville Even 16^1 Side-Stick, Ride
Bass: Real 1162, Acoustic, CelticReel Ev 16 110
Guitar 1: Real 407 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
Guitar 2: Real 634 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmerican Muted Ev 120
Guitar 3: Real 406 Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
Guitar 4: Real 408 Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
Fiddle: Real 618, Background Allis Ev 120

Words and music by John Vaughn and DJ Lekich
(c)2018 John Vaughn and DJ Lekich

Deej56 #497183 10/22/18 11:48 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Loved your use of RealTracks and really enjoyed the lyrics as well! Awesome job. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
Deej56 #497239 10/22/18 06:03 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good melody and the voice is quite unique - in a good way.
It's probably but the drums seem to lean to one side away from the chugging guitar - or it may be that guitar is masking the drums a little on its side.
Cool song. Well done to both of you.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #497255 10/22/18 10:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this!

Love your vocal, very emotive and unique. I enjoyed the lyrics too.

Good song, enjoyed the listen!

Deej56 #497275 10/23/18 03:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

I really like the sound/production on this. It has a "different" texture than most things posted here. Nicely done.

Overall, the write is interesting, though I would question the line "What in the world is wrong with you?". In the scheme of the write - a plea to a lover who no longer seems interested - that you apparently want back - that line is confrontational and belligerent - certainly not a help to your cause. I found it very off-putting. The later line of "What in the world can I do?" is much more in line with the idea (with an implied "...to get you back"?. The "...to save myself from you" at the end also makes one wonder if this is a I-want-you-back song or a I'm-glad-to-be-rid-of-you song...

I enjoyed the overall sound of the song very much. Your vocal - as always - is a real stand out...

fj

Deej56 #497290 10/23/18 04:00 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! I thoroughly enjoyed your vocal delivery here, and the progressions are top notch. It is nicely catchy, and had a more modern feel than a lot of things on the showcase. Plus, the lyrics are really standout too.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Deej56 #497293 10/23/18 04:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Love the song and the vocal. Some really cool textures happening with the music as well...

Great mix and production.

Bob

Deej56 #497308 10/23/18 06:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song

nice write (conflicts pointed out by floyd) maybe do a rewrite of that line

catchy song,

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Deej56 #497413 10/23/18 04:51 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Ember, BlueAttitude, Derek, Bob and Kenny:

Thanks to you all for giving this a listen and taking the time to comment. Glad it was worth the time and that you enjoyed it. It is a little bit of a different sound than most of my solo efforts, but was looking to do something a bit faster paced and the lyrics seemed to accommodate that. New BIAB ground for me, but looking to continue my education. Appreciate the support.

My best to each of you,

Deej

rayc #497414 10/23/18 04:52 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
rayc:

Thanks for the kind words and feedback on the production. I’ll have to go back and listen for that. It may be I’ve panned both too much to one side. Drums are my kryptonite . . . I just can never seem to find the right sound to fit the song (either too much snare, or too much high-hat, or just plain too much). It’s the one area I really need to get better at. Again, appreciate the comments.

All the best,

Deej

floyd jane #497415 10/23/18 04:52 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D

Floyd,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I was curious how folks might react to that line, so not entirely unexpected. For what it’s worth, to me at least, it’s neither a “I want you back” nor a “I’m glad to be rid of you" song. I’d say it’s more a “I know I can’t get you back, there’s no good reason to get back together, but I can’t let it go because I still need something more from you” song. Maybe that simply doesn’t work for a song, or we’ve failed miserably at the attempt—and I’m not sure it solves your concern with the “What in the world . . . “ line.

Which is to say, I get and appreciate your comment, and we will definitely give it some more thought. Again, thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts. They are always really helpful.

Kindest regards,

Deej

Deej56 #497428 10/23/18 07:21 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First and foremost, I love the sound of the song, and that's 99% of it there.

But I'll agree with floydjane about the lyric - the singer demands that they be loved, and then says:

What in the world can I do
to save myself from you.

That sort of flushes away what little good will might be remaining for the singer. frown

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Deej56 #497453 10/24/18 04:02 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quietly driving backing lays the tension on and under this emotively delivered and well sung vocal. Really, really nice.

Couldn't help but read the comments on "the line", though I try to ignore other comments until I've formed my own "view". Here's the way I take it. He's talking to someone at the point of breakup who is clearly showing him "no emotion" in delivering the news. Yeah, I'd say there's something wrong with her...or at least wrong with THAT. From the singer's POV.

Besides, it doesn't HAVE to be heard as aggressive. "What in the world is wrong with you?' seems fitting if she is normally emotionally expressive--even concerned. And that's re-enforced by the next line...what can he do?

It's the next line near the end that is jarring...to save myself from you. If it had been at the beginning, he's lost it with me. But it comes near the end, and that's when realization and self-preservation starts to kick in. He's not repeating himself, he's changing the context. It's powerful because it stands out.

Who knows, scholars may be studying this lyric 20 years from now. smile

Tell your lyricist (I'm assuming that's your partner here) that Tangmo approves. At the very least, it's a line that engenders "thought", (and maybe even a wee bit of controversy on a music forum) and that's not a bad thing at all. grin

Yeah, I like this a whole lot. Run with it. I think you have a hit.

Last edited by Tangmo; 10/24/18 04:54 AM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Deej56 #497467 10/24/18 04:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, it's cool to hear another production from you!

You called in a very effective group of musicians to back your tune. Hat's off to them and you smile

Like Bob said there are some interesting attention grabbing textures happening with the tracks.

The melody and your vocal are instantly engaging...well done!

You mentioned to Ray "Drums are my kryptonite . . . I just can never seem to find the right sound to fit the song (either too much snare, or too much high-hat, or just plain too much). " If you haven't already a $29 investment in Waves CLA Drums might help. FWIW most folks here that have used it speak very highly of it as we do.

We most enjoyed this production!

J&B

dcuny #497580 10/24/18 04:36 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
David C.,

Thanks for chiming in and giving this one a listen. Glad the sound worked—again, new territory for me; just trying to challenge myself, do something different and learn more about BIAB. Still feel like (and am) a newbie. smile

As for the lyrics—I hear and understand. But check out Tangmo’s comments below and my response to him. We may have been too ambitious with the lyrics—and again, maybe it doesn’t work—but the intent was that this is more than a “I want us to get back together” song. That said, it just may not work; so we’ll keep tinkering.

Thanks again for stopping in!

All the best to you,

Deej

Tangmo #497581 10/24/18 04:38 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Tangmo,

Well, I’ll start with a big thanks—I was starting to worry we totally missed the mark here. But your "scholarly analysis” of our lyrics is spot on. smirk When I first read John’s lyrics to this song, I was struck by some contrasting lines that suggested a conflicted point of view, so we went with that. Still, I worried about how “what’s wrong with you” might be perceived, though it’s intended as you describe. I added the “save myself” line, because we needed a seventh line in the last chorus to link to the close, but it seemed to fit for the reason you mention: self-realization—he’s screwed and by the end of the song he knows it.

All that said, John and I will keep debating changes—that’s what this forum is for. There’s a reason Hollywood studios play their films first to test audiences. If the audience doesn’t get what’s intended, what’s the point?

But I think we pretty much like the lyrics as they stand—and any changes we might make will likely be more tweaks than substantive revisions.

Thanks a ton for you input.

My kind regards,

Deej

Janice & Bud #497582 10/24/18 04:41 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Janice & Bud,

Good to hear from you as well. I’ve been away from this board for too long. In part, I’m in a slump, and the one other new BIAB song I have needs more polishing before I have the courage to post it here. Really, seems like every song on this site is just killing it! Have to up my game.

I have done a couple of guitar/vocals—including another one with John—but those aren’t BIAB eligible, so . . . can’t post them here.

Thanks for the reference to Waves CLA Drums—I will definitely check it out. I just can’t understand why I always seem to get the psycho drummer who either wants to go all Keith Moon with the big drum rolls, or slap away at the high-hat like it’s the only part of the drum he’s allowed to hit! laugh

Hope all is well for you both,

Regards,

Deej

Deej56 #497731 10/25/18 12:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

DJ,

This is a great song. From start to finish. I love the energy, vocals, and lyrics and the progression.

An EXCELLENT write. Superb.

Just as an idea, I would love to hear a big rock production with this--big drums, and loud gritty guitars kicking in on V2. This is a song that could send a stadium up in flames if you were to turn up the heat a bit on an alternate mix.

Awesome songwriting man.

Deej56 #497741 10/25/18 02:21 PM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nice work Deej56, I really enjoyed the overall tone of this. Excellent mixdown on all of this and a solid key signature choice too. Excellent guitar riffs too. Adding the fiddle to this is a nice touch. Great done!

Cheers,
Joe
David Snyder #497761 10/25/18 05:09 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
David S.,

Thanks much for the listen and feedback. You instincts on production are great, and I love your idea. I actually would have preferred a more pronounced driving drum on this production--something that could carry through and over the stops--but as I referenced above, I'm drum challenged, and just couldn't find anything that worked.

I like the idea of going big with this--just a little beyond my skill set right now. But maybe as I get more "fluent" in BIAB, John and I can put out a "rockier" version.

All the best to you, David.

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195