Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
This forum has done a lot for me, so I feel I should share when I find something you folks might want to know about.

1)I found an internet post on the best studio headphones for less than $500. One of the recommendations was the Samson SR850 (I think they call them semi-open). I found them on Amazon for $30. I listened to a Tears for Fears CD with them. The bass was more defined and a little louder than it is on my monitors. The highs were present and clear without any shrillness.

2) Thanks to Kent at PG, I finally got a VST working. It is the Ample Bass P Lite II (free version). The sound isn't bad, but I noticed a lot of popping noises when I played it back solo.

Since I use a lot of midi bass, even with RT's, I need a bass guitar (not synth bass) virtual instrument. The Sample Tank 61 in HQ synths is OK but I would like a few more options for sound. Does anyone have any recommendations that cost less than $100?

Thanks.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
2b, what type of bass sounds are you looking to purchase? Acoustic double bass, acoustic Mariachi bass, hollow body bass, or solid body bass? If solid body bass a P-bass, J-bass, etc?

You might want to google/bing free and purchased soundfont and SFZ basses. Also the more money you pay the more realistic the sound.

Do you play guitar? If so you might consider purchasing an inexpensive bass and play it yourself.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, Mario.

I want the two classic Fender sounds, the Precision and the Jazz.

I have a bass but it needs some work and so does my technique. I also have trouble getting the sound I want.

To anyone else: I just noticed there is an angry emoji by this post. I don't know how that happened but I'm not upset.

2b

Expert
Expert
I don’t know what it’s like but it’s free so wouldn’t hurt to try http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2505

Ample p bass.

Often the reason midi bass sounds not so good is the way it is entered. Real bass players do not play every note exactly the same velocity, nor are they always exactly on time or notes the exact same length. Yet a lot of people when recoding midi do have the velocity set the same and quantise to billyoh then wander why it sounds false. IMHO Subtle variations and a little compression makes it all sound better and more realistic.

My thoughts
Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I googled bass vsti and here is a couple that I found. Be sure to scroll down to view all patches.

http://www.yohng.com/software/bass.html

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Guitar/Bass&l=0

Note that I do not have any experience with these.

Also google/bing SFZ basses and Sound font basses.

Good luck.

PS - remember what I said earlier the more money you spend the better the sound.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Trilian offers the most realistic electric bass by far. It’s not in your budget range but it’s the only thing that sounds believable. If you are going to spend $100, buy a used Yamaha bass locally. Go for one with a P style neck and J style bridge pup. Way better investment.

Expert
Expert
Have you tried SI Bass? It come free as one of the Studio Instruments with a free download of Cakewalk by BandLab. I use it and I thinks it can sound pretty good when choosing the right preset for a track/mix.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Veteran,

Years ago I had a vintage Jazz bass that I sold for a ridiculous amount of money. It was a good move. The bass I have now has worked well for me in the past but it needs some work.

I can play well enough but I am getting these strange harmonics. They aren't fret noise. I am not sure what they are, but I can't accept them on the track. Until I figure that out, I have to do something else.

2b

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Tobias,

I have Cakewalk and I am going to start experimenting with it this weekend. Hopefully the SI-Bass will be good.

2b

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
As always, thanks to all who replied. It really helps.

2b

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Veteran,

Years ago I had a vintage Jazz bass that I sold for a ridiculous amount of money. It was a good move. The bass I have now has worked well for me in the past but it needs some work.

I can play well enough but I am getting these strange harmonics. They aren't fret noise. I am not sure what they are, but I can't accept them on the track. Until I figure that out, I have to do something else.

2b

Strange harmonics? Could you expand on this? Does it happen when played through your amp? When you record directly into your audio interface? When played solo, i.e. not plugged into to anything?

Is the bass perfectly in tune the entire fret board?

Is the hardware all secure?

I ask because on one of my basses I had a harmonic problem but only with the D string. The problem turned out to be at the bridge. The D bridge was just a little loose and at certain frequencies it would generate false harmonics. Raising it every so slightly put more tension on it and all was well.

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mario,

It sounded like the harmonics you can play by lightly fingering the 12th, 5th and 7th fret. The song is in Bb so it could have been. I will try your suggestion.

The other problem is some buzzing on the E string. That's an adjustment problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

2b

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Trilian offers the most realistic electric bass by far. It’s not in your budget range but it’s the only thing that sounds believable.

Yes, Trilian is the big dog in realistic electric bass, but pricy and you don't often see sales.

Check this site out. https://cymatics.fm/blog/bass-vst-plugins/

A while back I was loving Modo Bass by IK Multimedia as there were some good sales going on. But I never pulled the trigger. Maybe some day.

Lots of demos of the sounds from these systems out there.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo

1)I found an internet post on the best studio headphones for less than $500. One of the recommendations was the Samson SR850 (I think they call them semi-open). I found them on Amazon for $30. I listened to a Tears for Fears CD with them. The bass was more defined and a little louder than it is on my monitors. The highs were present and clear without any shrillness.

Under $500? Yep $30 is well under that. BTW, I use some $30 Yamaha cans.

OK ... so you need to understand this aspect.

The speakers are likely doing a fairly decent job on the bass...low end. When you listen to the bass on the speakers, you have several factors in play. The largest and most important is the room. The size of the room, dimensions, ceiling height, furnishings, sound treatment or not, floor and wall materials and coverings, all factor in. Also, speaker placement in the room. Are they against a wall or on a pedestal. So many variables go into this equation. And..... the sum total of all those things affect the quality of the sound you end up hearing. Also.... the size of the cones, and the power delivered to them factor in as well as any sub you might or might not have.

With cans, you eliminate ALL of that and have only the ability of the cones in the cans, and their design, as a factor.

I notice a big difference in the clarity of the speakers in my studio vs the cheap cans I use. I have mixed a number of tunes exclusively on the cans. They are like ear candy.

I will also add this. For those of us with home studios and on a limited budget......There is a software/hardware combination called ARC. Advanced Room Correction system by IK Multimedia. Essentially, you install and run the software on your DAW with a calibrated mic (the hardware part) according to the instructions. It analyzes your room across the audible frequency spectrum. It then sets up a preset EQ for your room ( or several). Correcting for the most obvious deficiencies at the listening point. It then delivers a "corrected" playback mix to your speakers giving you a "flat and true" representation of the mix. It takes you room out of the equation as much as is possible. You can then mix to the point that it sounds good..... then when you finish, you shut off the plugin and export the mix as a full bodied mix. Check it out here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc2/

I have it and .... well, I need to take the time to re-calibrate it to my new studio. It was working on my other studio but since I moved, I haven't set it back up. Need to do that. It really makes things easier.

Quote:
Thanks to Kent at PG, I finally got a VST working. It is the Ample Bass P Lite II (free version). The sound isn't bad, but I noticed a lot of popping noises when I played it back solo.

Since I use a lot of midi bass, even with RT's, I need a bass guitar (not synth bass) virtual instrument. The Sample Tank 61 in HQ synths is OK but I would like a few more options for sound. Does anyone have any recommendations that cost less than $100?

regarding a good midi bass... Native instruments has some nice specific ones. You really can't go too far wrong with NI synths and samples. I have a number of their products and have always been satisfied. They have a free player that works with some of their samples. You should check for compatibility when buying sample packs. I have found through the years that while the free stuff is, well....., free, often you get what you pay for. So if you're looking a realistic bass sound, don't be afraid to buy something nice. You won't regret it.
I like to use the stuff that comes in the Cakewalk Sonar package. There's a nice Ricko type sound that's clean, full, and has nice low end without sounding synthy. I have moved to almost 100% use of samples over oscillator generated sounds. The difference is like day and night. Samples rule.

Anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents into this

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/29/18 03:59 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, Herb. I had heard of the IK thing but I had forgotten it. That might be a nice add on.

As far as the good synths, I need to educate myself a bit more on a lot of things. One of those subjects is my understanding of soft synths, DXI, VST, needing a player versus standalone, etc. Lucky for me, a local college has a recording arts program. One of the professors is trying to set me up with a student to tutor me.

2b

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Do you have a recording of what the issue is when you record your bass guitar? Are you going through any kind of pre-amp or amplifier? If not, and you don't have any impedance matching, you very likely will get a weird sound.

Honestly, if you play bass, you are going to be disappointed with just about any VSTi. Except Trilian. But that's outside your budget.

I went down this road, downloaded every soundfont I could find for precision and jazz basses, got a couple sample sets. All disappointing. That's when I decided to teach myself bass guitar with an actual bass, and a Behringer Bass V-amp Pro that I bought off of Craiglist for nearly free (the guy selling it said he didn't like how it sounded - well, I found out it needed a new button cell inside. Couple bucks later, boom - literally).

I have never looked back. Replaced the V-Amp with a Zoom B3, and have added an Ibanez 5 string to my arsenal.

You mentioned your bass, but you didn't mention how you are trying to record it.

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Sounds like you and I have walked the same road.

I have tried to record in a variety of ways. Through a Tube MP, through a graphic EQ, through the preamp section of an amp, directly through my Scarlett interface. None of those worked. I finally got something I liked by putting the bass through a Zoom pedal that I programmed with a clean setting.

My bass needs a bit of work but I can get around that. What I can't get around is this odd harmonic I get occasionally. I can't figure out where it is coming from and it is annoying.

I like some of the midi bass sounds besides the Trillian. If I can work out this harmonic problem, I will probably use a bass guitar for my demo version. But I have to note that I just don't have the same mindset as a bass player. They think of things for the part that I wouldn't and their ideas are better. The ideas on BB are usually better than mine, also.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

2b

Veteran
Veteran
2b, FYI - you can buy a better bass from Rondo Music, rondomusic.com
for less than you would play for Trillian. Plus many are in your price range.

You said you like BiaB's bass parts better so why not print out the tabs or notes for those parts and play them on your bass?

Veteran
Veteran
BB might create usable midi files but it will not be anything specific, such as a riff or melody you come up with. So having an input for midi (keyboard) is essential for most folks.

You can also use your mouse to enter note by note. PITA IMHO. You have to choose the pitch, duration, velocity, and exact starting point.... like I said.... really tedious to create something useful when if you have a keyboard and can play.... just play and it captures exactly what you played.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mario and Guitarhacker,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It helps.

I have a keyboard and I just bought a Mio Midi/USB interface. I like that a lot. But I have done a lot of editing BB with a mouse.

Re the Rondo bass, I will take a look.

Thanks again.

2b

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,670
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200