Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#497798 - 10/26/18 02:22 AM [User Showcase] Frida
Tangmo Offline
Expert

This is a remixed version of an older song. While I had lost the .sgu, I was able to find the midi I'd saved in order to embellish this song, which I'd always considered too thin. I also found the original DAW "mix" file which made things much easier.

The original style was:
Style is DRJONROK.STY (Dr. Jon Rock Blues)

I used:
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33), Acoustic Piano (1), Clean Electric Guit (28), MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

But I sent the drums through the synth on separate tracks.

For this up-date, I added:
RealTracks in song: 2619:Organ, Rhythm Funk Ev 100 and RealTracks in song: ~2489:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple Ev 110.

The latter became the "drone" asked about in the ever increasingly hilarious thread I started a few days ago. Though it doesn't hold the same note (occasionally jumps up a 5th and down to something), it served the purpose. I raised it an octave in DAW (Acid Pro 8) and applied a delay to it.

Why is it there? I wrote this progression originally for an aborted collab with a didgeridoo player. When that failed to happen, I "restyled it" and wrote this song. One of many great benefits of BIAB. So it's there to accentuate the progression and add a little color in the low mids...or it it the high lows?

[Link no longer valid]

Edit: I agree with most of the constructive comments below, so I did what I should have done in the first place--add the organ and "drone" to the original file to "fatten it up". I could not, however, find a real drum to work over this groove. Here's the link to the new mix.

FRIDA rmx

The lyric is delivered in an ambiguous way on purpose. The original tagline was "Free to do what you want". That morphed to "Frida'll do what she wants". Ultimately, it's somewhere in between, and it matters nothing to me how you "hear" it. But since I have to post the lyric, I'll post the "official" one.

FRIDA

Cherry lipstick smeared in haste
only wears it cuz she likes the taste
She don't need no chi-chi pretty boy like you.

Chorus:

Frida do what she want
Frida do what she want
She do what she wants
and she wants to do just what she wants to do.

Daddy's money should suffice
but that don't keep her from shooting dice
She don't want no button-down dude like you

She loves her Lenin, hits her Marx
She do the Mao-Mao shooting sparks
She don't need no baby bourgeois boy like you.

Other girls paint their faces just to walk down the hall
Frida paints her face on the wall, ya'll

Ratty bookstore, portrait stall
She don't need 'em but she owns 'em all
She don't want no paper MBA like you.

Music and Lyrics Tangmo 2008

I have no love for her politics, but I love this character. She was created from multiple influences.

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (08/26/20 05:26 PM)
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#497799 - 10/26/18 02:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yeah!! Love this.

So many great lines! I think my favorite is:

"Daddy's money should suffice
but that don't keep her from shooting dice
She don't want no button-down dude like you"

but they are all good, just excellent songwriting IMHO. Vocal sounds great too!

Nice one Tangmo, I hope you keep posting some of these older songs of yours.

#497813 - 10/26/18 05:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Tangmo,

A VERY cool song. Excellent write.

Your lyrics (often) have a really nice level of "added humor" - just the right amount to embellish without calling too much attention. Nice.

This is well put together. It does, however, have "that MIDI sound" to it. Not "a bad thing", but I would think a re-do with RealTracks would send this through the roof. The John Jarvis or Kevin McKendree piano tracks would kill on this...

Enjoyed!

fj

#497826 - 10/26/18 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent tune. I got a little Dr Hook vibe when the song first started. Excellent vocal. Well done. Guitar was cool

#497833 - 10/26/18 07:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
An intriguing listen Tangmo, with the cleverest lyrics I've heard in a long while. The guitar lick and odd ending added to the air of mystery and quirkiness.
A fun listen, thanks!

John
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#497848 - 10/26/18 08:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

What a tune! I thoroughly enjoyed this - it has a really distinct 70's vibe to it. Love the groove, love the piano, and love your vocals. It vaguely reminds of Elton John at points. Not to mention, your lyrics here are really creative and well thought out. As someone else mentioned, this just shows a strong understanding of songwriting.

You should be proud of this one - wouldn't change a thing smile Thanks for sharing!

#497867 - 10/26/18 11:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hey Tangmo, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. The different elements really glue well together and the chord progression is exceptional. Love the vocals too. Great work!

Edited by Joe -PG Music (10/27/18 03:46 PM)

#497873 - 10/26/18 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Tangmo, nice one!

RealDrums are crying and waiting for you to solder them into this great tune smile

#497887 - 10/26/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Really nice groove

love the write, quirky, catchy, and clever

good recording and vocal,

enjoyed the heck out of it,

Kenny

#497926 - 10/26/18 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Tangmo,

What a great sound! Outstanding song and vocal. Great production qualities as well.

Bob

#497944 - 10/26/18 06:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

It's a good, good song though the backing seems a little tame.
Your statement that "...it matters nothing to me how you "hear" it." seems a little odd.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#497954 - 10/26/18 06:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: rayc]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Thanks all for the listens and comments.

Originally Posted By: rayc
It's a good, good song though the backing seems a little tame.
Your statement that "...it matters nothing to me how you "hear" it." seems a little odd.

I was talking about the ambiguity of the lyric/delivery. Of course I care how anyone hears the song as an entity, but I don't care if they "misunderstand" the lyric without a lyric sheet. In fact, if they do, it's part of the reason why I sang it so loosely and with such poor grammar. Let 'em make up their own mind.

I was even reluctant to name the song "Frida" because it skews the perception. "Free ta do whatchu want" is a terrible title, though, and just skews it the other way. smile

I never once understood Dylan on first listen.

Edited by Tangmo (10/26/18 06:38 PM)
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#497966 - 10/26/18 07:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Tangmo,

Thank you for the journey! I liked it smile

As I listened, in my mind I could hear how you might have incorporated the drone of the didgeridoo. I would have loved to heard the original version.

You entertained me. The lines...

Quote:
Other girls paint their faces just to walk down the hall
Frida paints her face on the wall, ya'll

...made me smile. I love the attitude that these captured and the image that they created using so few words. That's skill!

All the best,
Noel

#497992 - 10/27/18 06:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Noel96]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Thanks, Noel. That "Y'all" was ad-libbed at the mic. It made me smile too.

I've put up an alternative mix in the OP. Take your pick. No Real Drums, but more power, I think.

Edited by Tangmo (10/27/18 06:15 AM)

#498016 - 10/27/18 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I love the lyrics! Great write! Your opening verse is masterful!

It's got a great groove. Rock with rag-time piano - love it.

I didn't even know BIAB had a Dr. John style.

Consider me inspired!

#498073 - 10/27/18 02:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Tangmo,
That`s a clever, funny write which your vocal delivery captures with the right attitude.The play on words with the title is one of those hidden nuggets which some will discover without explanation.
The backing sounds ok, though I agree with Floyd it could be a lot funkier with RT`s. Must be hard to know when to redo songs you already worked on with older tools, but there`s obviously some gems in the Farfetched vault!

Robert

#498076 - 10/27/18 02:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Thanks all for the listens and comments.

I was talking about the ambiguity of the lyric/delivery. Of course I care how anyone hears the song as an entity, but I don't care if they "misunderstand" the lyric without a lyric sheet.

Much clearer for my poor mind - thanks!
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#498078 - 10/27/18 02:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

That Dr John midi style delivered the hooky licks in piano and guitar, and none of the sounds are GM stock. All went through the Kurzweil. Midi also played the chords I asked for in this somewhat jazzier blues thing to keep that D prominent.

I don't think this song would be the same completely "re-styled". It'd be a bit like taking Harrison or Richards out of the Beatles or Stones. Sure, there are better players, but their licks made the songs.

Not all styles are so hooky, and I am working on a redo of Mr Jay completely with RT and RD. It seems to be working under the vocals better, but it's harder than Dave made it sound due the way the original was put together.

#498130 - 10/27/18 09:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Really nice songwriting. Enjoyed the lyric the melody and the overall vibe.
Excellent work.

Peter

#498142 - 10/27/18 11:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Frida [Re: Tangmo]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Tangmo,

Listening to the FRIDA rmx . . . like how you morphed the chorus lyrics from “free to” to “Frida”—gives the song just that extra sound, vibe (not sure how to express it, but it’s just darn good). Everything works for me in this one. Could easily see this killing live. Well done, Tangmo—really good stuff!

All the best,

Deej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Video - How to Transpose a Region of a Band-in-a-Box® Song

Want to learn how to transpose just one chorus of your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Check out our latest video, shared to the I want a video that shows me how to... forum: https://youtu.be/XiMrgtQ7u14

Forum Stats
33055 Members
68 Forums
66587 Topics
566425 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Runar Hartvigsen, EEB, Karuso, Yabby, blueswanabe

33054 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 153
Planobilly 130