Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#499026 11/02/18 05:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How can you talk?

Interesting story behind this one, interesting for me anyway! I learned a new trick that might be helpful to someone else. This started out as a piano demo Chris sent me in 6/8 time, 75 BPM. We ended up not using the piano part, but I still needed to create a backing track in 6/8 time.

Problem is BIAB does not offer much in the way of tracks in 6/8, and I wanted to use a BIAB electric bass player and organ player. To make it work in BIAB I reduced the tempo to 50 BPM (75 * 2/3), 12/8 time, and reduced the number of bars by two, i.e. 2 bars of 'A' became 1 bar of 'A'. Lines up perfect with my reaper project, which is set for 75 BPM, 6/8.

How can you talk (Christiane Spruit, 2018)

V1:
You said you know me
if you ever had to know me
how can you talk
how can you talk like this at all

V2:
When you meet me
eye to eye
you are smiling in a way
so how can you make up all these lies.

V3:
when you told me
that it was over
Did you ever hear a bad word
all I could do is, say good bye

Bridge:

You were the one who has gone and all came undone
saying that she will be the one
who will bring back the sun
so you left, went and gone
and now telling That I was the one

V4:
You ought to know me
and if you ever had to know me
do you believe and get some relief,
by repeating all these lies

The band:

RealTracks in song: 1922:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockSlow12-8 Sw 060
RealTracks in song: ~675:Organ, B3, Background Blues Monday Sw 065

I used EZDrummer2 to build the drum track and I'm playing the two guitar parts.

Mixed with reaper using plugins from Ozone and Waves, mastered with Ozone 8 and LMC.

I used a strat for the guitar parts and processed them with S-Gear and CLA Guitars.

Also up on soundcloud, here: https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/how-can-you-talk

As always comments are welcome!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Righteous tune, Dave. Great vocals and guitar.

Excellent write and totally pro mix. You have this mixing thing down cold now. Or should I say down hot.

Thanks for the tip on Vocal Rider, the way. It solves A LOT of problems in one fell swoop.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Chris & Dave,

Didn't get a chance to hear the last minute or so - Di needed some attention. Will listen to entire track tonight. But you guys did a marvelous jon on what I heard. Chris' vocal is outstanding, your guitar work shines (as usual) and this is put together so danged good! the couple of minutes I listened to were simply magic!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Went to church with this one. Love the backing track. The guitar moans, and the vocals exude that burning anger and disappointment present in the lyrics. Just great.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

Once again, you and Chris show us all how it's done.

This style/genre sits so very comfortably with the both of you that it's easy to hear it's a personal favourite.

And David Snyder is correct; you've got mixing totally tamed nowadays (I'm envious)!

A terrific listen!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave

A lovely subtle blues song. The organ sounds great Chris' vocal is excellent and you play some very tasty guitar parts throughout.

The 6/8 - 12/8 tempo stuff made my head hurt a bit this early in the morning!

Excellent work.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The bridge part is superb.
A very cool piece.
Really nice guitar & vocal tones Dave & Chris.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Boy do I like this. First the backtrack has such a cool feel to this. Chris's vocal was excellent. Lots of emotion to the vocal. That Hammond was very neat sitting in the back. Love the way it props up the song. You guitar was fabulous. Weaved in and out of the backtrack. So cool. Well done Chris and Dave... Love the story of how you put the song together. Very creative and original music...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
I like the blues music. I love this track! I adore the vocals. It's such a joy listening to this song.

Is Christiane Spruit the name of the vocalist? She is absolutely amazing.

Will

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice! Clever, how you made the tempos work. Love the organ. As always, the guitar sounds superb, and the vocals are really nice on this one. Loved it!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
jealous...

Nice work!

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
"BlueAttitude"...

Well, now, I guess we all know where you got that handle from cool !!!

"How Can You Talk" is drenched, dripping, drowned, saturated, soaked, sopping and wringing-wet with the feel of "the blues". If the tempo had been any slower, our hearts would have stopped. This is a dark, dank, subterranean kind of blues that never sees the sun. It's like listening to a damned soul descending seemingly endless numbers of stairs to...the "hot" place. mad !!!

Seriously, though, "How Can You Talk" is heavy-duty musicianship, "BlueAttitude". The heartbreak in the lyrics is amplified mercilessly by the slow-drag rhythm, by your despairing, "grinding our faces in it" guitar work, the doom-laden bass line, and Ms. Spruit's unleashing of her misery through her vocal. That B3 organ RealTrack didn't hurt, either, as it brought forth the church (hearin' ya' loud an' clear, "Tangmo"!!!) congregation into the mix - amen, amen, brothers n' sistuhs!!!

So good, it's "ba-a-a-a-d to the bone"!

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Last edited by bluage; 11/02/18 06:41 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave / Chris,

You are turning out some great music... Love the song, vocal and mix. Love the backstory on the tracks.

Excellent all around.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Righteous tune, Dave. Great vocals and guitar.

Excellent write and totally pro mix. You have this mixing thing down cold now. Or should I say down hot.

Thanks for the tip on Vocal Rider, the way. It solves A LOT of problems in one fell swoop.

smile

Thanks, David! I really enjoy mixing, I look forward to when the song gets to that stage.

Yeah, vocal rider is great! Best $29 I ever spent.

Love your new one!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Chris & Dave,

Didn't get a chance to hear the last minute or so - Di needed some attention. Will listen to entire track tonight. But you guys did a marvelous jon on what I heard. Chris' vocal is outstanding, your guitar work shines (as usual) and this is put together so danged good! the couple of minutes I listened to were simply magic!

Alan

Thanks, Alan!

Best wishes to Di!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dave & Chris,

Nice opening - both the drums AND guitar!

Chris' vocals get better with each new song - so strong, so confident... this is superb - spine-tingling...

Dave, your leads seem to sing more and more with each new release. Gorgeous!

The mix is impeccable.

Awesome listen.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Went to church with this one. Love the backing track. The guitar moans, and the vocals exude that burning anger and disappointment present in the lyrics. Just great.

Thanks for the listen and comments, happy you liked this one!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow guys, this is something else!
Everything you'd expect from a bluesy song.
Strong vocals and an absolute top notch guitar work (love that Strat sound!).

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave,

Once again, you and Chris show us all how it's done.

This style/genre sits so very comfortably with the both of you that it's easy to hear it's a personal favourite.

And David Snyder is correct; you've got mixing totally tamed nowadays (I'm envious)!

A terrific listen!
Noel

Thanks, Noel!

I find mixing a fascinating subject and I spend a lot of time trying new techniques. Always trying to make the songs sound more professional!

The last few songs I've used stereo delay on the vocals, and I think it was you that turned me onto that a while ago smile

PeterF #499369 11/04/18 03:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

A lovely subtle blues song. The organ sounds great Chris' vocal is excellent and you play some very tasty guitar parts throughout.

The 6/8 - 12/8 tempo stuff made my head hurt a bit this early in the morning!

Excellent work.

Peter

Yeah, the math made my head hurt too! Formula is pretty easy once you know how, took me a while to get there though!

Thanks, Peter!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195