Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi everybody,

no doubt about it, it's all his fault: Sixchannel, who has posted many goid songs here.

When I read his signature for the first time in 2016, I almost couldn't stop giggling: 'The older I get, the better I was". (C’mon, guys - when you crossed the 60s line that’s exactly what you feel...). So funny...! I immediately knew that this was a killer song title, and I wanted to carry it to extremes somehow.

And because I had just enjoyed the first meeting with my band colleagues from the 70s after 40 years, it was clear whom the first song I was going to write after almost ten years had to be all about. And because everybody had taken pictures I had footage galore to be used in the vid documenting what the ravages of time had done to us formerly so handsome guys...

'The Older We Get, The Better We Were' did not only become the first (hopefully) funny song I had ever written, it also became my first rock-style song without a horns arrangement. And the video became the first one that was almost completely put together of snippets from (CC-licensed) video clips I found in the web.

I’m sure that you will easily track down those little quotes of famous pop songs I hid in every verse.

As to the musical aspects:

RT683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RT1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RT633:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120 (A:sy
RT845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120

I wrote my own drums, using the MT-Power Drums VST, because I needed full control on the fills.

And I added a very primitive MIDI organ track to have some background chords

All (stunning) solos (guitar and sax) were generated by RB, but unfortunately I can’t trace which Soloist styles I used, because I changed the track names later on.

So here’s

The Older We Get, The Better We Were

The link will take you to the respective page of my web site where you’ll find mp3, video, lyrics and some info.

I hope you enjoy what I made out of sixchannel’s funny signiture motto. And please let me get away with any lexical and/or gramatical mistakes I will undoubtedly have made.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan,

A very clever song (again). Very well produced and very well mixed.

The video is really well done. A lot of fun to watch. (the drum parts were impressive!).

Really enjoyed that.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan, this has the usual fun and consistent quality I've come to expect.
I, for one, can claim not to have attended a disco in the 70s or 80 but I get your drift.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ausgezeichnet! I don't know which I like better, the song or the video. Lots of fun, great music, clever lyrics. I remember those days. Hahahaha!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stefan,

Ich stimme mit Ezekeil's Storm - ausgezeichnet überein! Du hast mit dieser Musikzusammensetzung hervorgeragt. Ich bin alt - fast 27 Jahren. Ich bin fast eine Antiquität!

As I said above, an excellent production! Very well written, arranged and performed. Pretty cool video, too! I really enjoyed my listen! Thanks for the smile on my face!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a clever song! Really liked your use of RealTracks here. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done song, clever video. Very enjoyable!

Plus, I learned the term "guitar wanker". smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Legends in our own minds! Thank God there is self talk! We’re the only ones who appreciate our own greatness!

Loved the whole thing… Song concept, execution, production… Everything was first rate! Great then, great now!

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! Love the upbeat groove, and the dancy feel-good vibes on this one. Definitely a fun tune, and the energy is incredible. I can imagine this sounding unreal in a live setting.

You outdid yourself on this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a treat! Your productions (audio and video) never disappoint!

After two listens we had to return and read the lyric a couple of times. Now this is clever.

Really enjoyable!

J&B

PS As an aging mountain bike racer I've often said "the older I get the faster I used to be..."

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
knocked it over the centerfield fence.

Great imagination and creativity on display.

Yeah, that was good

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/06/18 06:07 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Big fun. Legends never die.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Stefan,

Brilliant video and song. Excellent set of lyrics and very entertaining.
Some really great work.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Stefan,

A very clever song (again). Very well produced and very well mixed.

The video is really well done. A lot of fun to watch. (the drum parts were impressive!).

Really enjoyed that.

fj

Thanks a lot, Floyd, I'm glad you liked it.

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
Stefan, this has the usual fun and consistent quality I've come to expect.
I, for one, can claim not to have attended a disco in the 70s or 80 but I get your drift.

RayC,

thanks - I really appreciate your kind comment. As far as I'm concerned it's even worse than that: First time I went to a disco was in 1965 or 66. Just like Riff-Raff sang, 'It's astounding, time is fleeting, madness takes its toll'...

TC Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Ausgezeichnet! I don't know which I like better, the song or the video. Lots of fun, great music, clever lyrics. I remember those days. Hahahaha!

Thank you very much for your kind words. If you remember thsose days, too, we must be about the same age. And isn't it great that we still meet here and have fun instead of watching TV from dusk till dawan, crying in our beer?

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Stefan,

Ich stimme mit Ezekeil's Storm - ausgezeichnet überein! Du hast mit dieser Musikzusammensetzung hervorgeragt. Ich bin alt - fast 27 Jahren. Ich bin fast eine Antiquität!

As I said above, an excellent production! Very well written, arranged and performed. Pretty cool video, too! I really enjoyed my listen! Thanks for the smile on my face!

Alan

Thanks a lot, Alan, especially für writing in German (which was about the last thing I would have expected here) - where did you learn it?

It makes me happy to read that people share my kind of humour and music - especially whn they're so young ;-)))): 27 was a typo, wasn't it?

I promise I will do my very best to put some more smiles on your face !

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
What a clever song! Really liked your use of RealTracks here. Thanks for sharing!

Hello Ember,

thank YOU for listening - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers, Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well done song, clever video. Very enjoyable!

Plus, I learned the term "guitar wanker". smile

Thanks, David, I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the thing.

And I'm happy I could help you expanding your lexicon cool - well, the Urbann Dictionary was exactly where I found that expression. And funnily enough (or logically enough...?) there's a similar expression for that species of guitarists. And, now, from the distance of almost 50 years, I have to admit that I'm afraid, I was one of those... But I also remember that the girls couldn't tell the difference. Luckily...

Take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Legends in our own minds! Thank God there is self talk! We’re the only ones who appreciate our own greatness!

Loved the whole thing… Song concept, execution, production… Everything was first rate! Great then, great now!

Thanks a lot, Tano, for not sticking to self talk, but sharing your thoughts ;-))) I really loved to read your funny comment, and I’m happy you enjoyed the thing.

All the best,

Stefan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195