Print Thread
Go To
#500578 11/10/18 06:53 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi fellows.
I have seen several requests for freezing parts of composition...
The only workaround I found is: as soon as I get certain bars to play how I want them to play I export them as waves and then do sushi work in DAW...

It would be nice if BIAB supported several independent "freeze" scenarios. For example you have 6 different "frozen" sections and if you do not like how one of these sound, you change /regenerate that specific part even if it is in the middle, without effecting all others...
Hopefully I am making a point here smile

If this specific topic (independent "frozen" sections) was discussed before in request forum, please let me know as I do not want to repeat exact same thing. If not, I will think for a couple of days on it and will write up the request.

Thanks.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the reciprocal of regenerating only certain measures in BiaB, much like you can do in RB?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
If this specific topic (independent "frozen" sections) was discussed before in request forum, please let me know as I do not want to repeat exact same thing. If not, I will think for a couple of days on it and will write up the request.

This has to be one of the top five wish-list requests for the past decade. "...regenerate selected bars only". The work around is RB which does have this feature. Or moving tracks into your DAW (which is what many of us do.)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #500592 11/10/18 08:10 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan, I think what I am asking for even a bit more involved.
regenerating + freezing those sections independently. So you can have 2-3-4 etc.. sections all with different re-generations frozen. And lets say even after, if you want to regenerate section #3, you do just that, without "un-freezing" or changing others...

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Have you looked at Realband?

Once a track is generated in Realband, it is the equivalent of BIAB's 'frozen'. Sections of this track can then be regenerated. It doesn't have to be the same instrument, either.

If you to to the link below and look in the 'Intermediate' section...

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.realband.htm

...you'll find a videoclip called "Realband: Generating sections of Realtrack".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel, Mario Thank you for pointing RB.
I will be truthful. I do not like RB.

I think it made sense when DAWs were expensive and here you get 2 for the price of one...Sure is a deal.
Now, with all the wealth of DAWs available for free or at very fair price, I find it a bit painful
making myself re-learn something that might or might not survive in not distant future. There is no
substitute for BIAB. I put my prejudice aside, and no matter how some things are annoying me, I will still be
using it just because it will do good things for me smile

I can avoid RB partial-regeneration feature by simply gather audio-files and learn how to work fast with multiple audio files in DAW of choice. Time wise it would be very comparable.

Regardless of my ventures, it would be nice if BIAB had the feature of freezing/regenerating sections. As Dan noted, it was asked for years... I definitely support that request, but if the sections could be dealt with independently, it would be an icing on the cake.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I can avoid RB partial-regeneration feature by simply gather audio-files and learn how to work fast with multiple audio files in DAW of choice. Time wise it would be very comparable.

Misha,

As always, it's your choice totally where you work. To be honest, though, I think you are losing a very valuable resource by not considering Realband.

When I write a song, I always create it in BIAB. I then open it in Realband and use a few of Realband's unique features to my advantage before taking the tracks to my DAW (Reaper).

Here's why I love Realband...

1. It is not just a replacement DAW. While is can be used as such, there no other DAW on the planet that has full functionality and full integration with BIAB.

2. When I move to RB for song enhancement, all I need do is open my BIAB MGU/SGU file and generate the song.

3. I can regenerate sections of Realtrack that I am not all that happy with.

4. The "Multriff" feature in Realband allows for multiple generations of the same Realtrack (up to 7). Most importantly, though, each of these generations is musically independent in that none of the Realtrack phrases will align between the different RTs.

• When I get to my DAW, I like to have multiple generations of each RT or MIDI track so that I can create the best compiled final track. Multiriff is fantastic for this. For example: with Soloists, I usually have seven different tracks; with Rhythm (and most other) instruments, I usually have three different generations; with Bass, I usually have two tracks. This is usually around 15 or so tracks that I take to my DAW. While I can generate all these in BIAB, it's a slow process. In RB it's much more straightforward.

5. It's easier to create an acidized loop in Realband if I need any for the song in Reaper.

6. Each track is visible and I can see exactly which region I'm working on (unlike BIAB which only ever shows the track name).

7. Realband also works more effectively with unusual time signatures than BIAB.

...just my 2 cents worth smile

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Misha
From what I have read:

1: It has been pointed out that BiaB does not do what you want
2: RealBand can do what you want
3: You do not like RealBand

So it seems you have a solution but don't want to use it. That is absolutely your choice.

I wish BiaB did have better partial track management but it doesn't (currently), so I use alternative methods.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel,
thank you for the input!
You answers are always fulfilling. I promise to give RB another try (take #21 :))
I will wait just a bit longer, to see what Santa brings. Maybe Santa will follow the direction of wind on his sleigh...

VideoTrack,
I did not start the thread to brag smile , actually I wanted to know if that particular option of independent section "management" / freezing was requested, so I do not double the request.

Best regards,
Misha.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Learning a few fundamentals in Realband is worth persevering with. (The program is simply different from BIAB.)

Make sure that you sent Realband to "Run as administrator" by right-clicking on the startup shortcut, selecting 'Properties' from the options that appear and (under the 'Compatibility' tab) setting "run as admin".

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
... actually I wanted to know if that particular option of independent section "management" / freezing was requested ...
A fair question. Regenerating sections in BIAB has certainly been requested, but to my knowledge, freezing sections (and not the whole track) has not. It's a logical corollary to the request for partial track regeneration.

I prefer to stay in BIAB as long as possible, and this request, as expanded, would be very helpful toward doing that.

+1

In case I am correct, I put this in the Wishlist.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Misha

We don't know what might be available in any new release of BiaB so I was only trying to help with your current identified problem.

RealBand is not that difficult to use but we do notice from time to time some people are reluctant to get comfortable with it. I agree with Noel, it really is worthwhile exploring it. It's not that difficult to use once you find your way around, it can do so much more than BiaB, and it's the only DAW in existence that integrates with BiaB features.

Matt has posted your idea in the Wish List. I've given it a +1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Biab MultiRiffs an Easier Way

You can do it this way until PG do something about it:
Generate and solo the first section in track 1 to your liking then mute it with F5 where the good ends and Freeze the track.
Solo Track 2 (and Audio) Un-mute F5 at that bar, Generate the next section to your liking then mute it with F5 where the good ends and Freeze the track.
Solo Track 3 (and Audio) Un-mute F5 at that bar, Generate the next section to your liking then mute it with F5 where the good ends and Freeze the track.
Solo Track 4 (and Audio) Un-mute F5 at that bar......

Now mute the Audio Track and Drag Render the master to get your RealTrack.

If you can't use RB or don't like it REATRAK REAPER,
It gives you a way to integrate Biab to a powerful do anything DAW, It will import the chords and tracks from BBMac BBWin (BBLin ?) to the DAW REAPER 32/64 Mac Win Lin.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
VideoTrack, I know you are trying to help from your heart. I was not trying to sound harsh, sorry if it seemed that way.

Matt, thank you for posting on wish list and supporting!!

I know RB has some features that are important and unique in sense how it is integrated with BIAB.
I get the philosophy behind Noel's workflow. My biggest issue is the time. I am not ready yet to make full fledged songs. I do sketches for the most part, just to get the idea out. BIAB does most of things for me. I consider this (not be able to part freeze / regenerate) annoyance, not a deal breaker. If it ever gets implemented, a lot of precious time would be saved.

RB is not about "difficulty level" it is not that hard. It is getting into the workflow between 3 programs.
I am sure some (or most) people here would not agree with me, but if it was up to me I would merge RB/BIAB into one program with modular approach...Choose what things to display and work with / hide all others. So it works as one echo system...

P.S. Technology is evolving at crazy fast pace these days... Try to picture this: PGmusic branded helmets loaded with 2,000,000 hours of studio time. Fit it tightly on your head, press red button on the side, and you are Goddess Durga, holding an instrument in each pair of hands and most importantly know how to play like a champion on all of them. Sorry for off-topic, too much sugar today.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pipeline,
did PG hired you as their secret agent?
You always find unusual solutions smile

Thank you!
Will try that.

P.S. I do not want to start a new thread, if it is an easy one, can somebody please answer:
I had a friend visiting yesterday, a musician. I was trying to get him into BIAB and he asked me:
how many different re-generations/variety of single RT track can have?... I could not answer that.

Best regards,
Misha.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If I understand the question correctly, it depends on the number of variations of RealTracks that have actually been recorded. This number might not be the same for every recorded RealTrack. So the total number of possible variations is never guaranteed to be a consistent value. It depends on the specific RealTrack.

Also, the phrasing can change depending on the key that the RealTrack is recorded in.

Beginners Forum
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
With RealBand you can generate it up beat by beat if you like, and you will have even more variations if you have "Avoid Transpositions in RealTraks" unchecked in Song Settings. You also have 12key RealTracks now.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t think we users can answer this question, other than to say, lots.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you! I will forward this thread to him.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,722
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197