Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
OP Offline
Before purchasing Crooner Big Band, I studied the description. It gave me the impression that I could work with individual voices or a combination of voices. I put the CBB in the mixer and it plays a predetermined mixture of voices and rhythms. To eliminate the above I erased the writing. I wanted to write something that would better fit the song I was working on. However, the predetermined track always came back. Imho the tracks are too cluttered to be useful. Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: NiteSeer
Before purchasing Crooner Big Band, I studied the description. It gave me the impression that I could work with individual voices or a combination of voices. I put the CBB in the mixer and it plays a predetermined mixture of voices and rhythms. To eliminate the above I erased the writing. I wanted to write something that would better fit the song I was working on. However, the predetermined track always came back. Imho the tracks are too cluttered to be useful. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey NiteSeer,

First of all, I LOVE the big crooner horns! Check it this track I posted of them sometime back, and read the description of how I input the chord data, you might find it interesting.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=490544

In any event, you CAN get them to work as you describe, and I will post a more detailed response later today hopefully when I have more time. :-)

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
OP Offline
Thanks! I appreciate it.

OP Offline
So how did you do it? I want to write backgrounds in the same style as the song.

Veteran
Veteran
I also love the crooner horns.

You can hear my version of Just A Closer Walk With Thee by clicking on my songs link in my signature below and scrolling down my soundcloud page.

I open my biab song in Realband then generate new tracks of the horns both as a group and tracks of individual horns. I generate the whole track several times. I also generate riffs. I'm listening for things I like. I may not use all of it but if I hear anything I really like that fits the song i keep it. I can cut and paste to move them around and repeat or mute it later. I can stack tracks of different horns to get the sound I want where I want it. I do some editing in Realband but most of it in Reaper where I can easily mute the parts I don't need and move things around. And I can use fades, stretch, etc., to get them how I want them to sound. Then it's eq and volume and I'm done. It's a bit of work but the end result is worth it for me. I love horns.

My song Because You Loved Me has horns that I built from many different RT horn single tracks including a few from the crooners. In that song I did the horn arrangement for the bridge first then the rest.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: NiteSeer
So how did you do it? I want to write backgrounds in the same style as the song.

So Sundance already nailed it in her post above withe respect to the horn selection and arrangement aspect, as you can see in the attached screenshot, many of the horn sections have the option of generating the instruments on a track-by-track basis. Also note that you should experiment with mixing various combinations of "background" and "soloist" type tracks for added flavor.

Finally, I find that you can generate very interesting arrangements using the process I described that I'll copy and paste from what I wrote with respect to the my track Labor Day: Old Friends Passed.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, it's basically just a series of ascending then descending major and minor thirds (and a couple of fourths thrown in) with a high-E note pedaled throughout.

I originally came up with the underlying melody while messing around aimlessly on my battered nylon string guitar, and was enamored by the voicings that resulted from the juxtaposition of some simple thirds and fourths over that same E note.

Back in 2010 or so, I had transcribed the tablature into Guitar Pro 6, rendered it into MIDI, and then imported it into BiaB using an old school MIDI style in order to make backing tracks that I utilized to give a few guitar lessons. .

After acquiring the Xtra Styles PAK 5, on a lark, I re-imported that nearly forgotten sequence, (originally written in 3/4!), into BiaB, and loaded the CRONGA+.STY style, and the result just blew me away. It was nothing like what I heard when playing the pre-packaged BiaB style demo (which is excellent in its own right). But this YEARNED.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Crooner.PNG (106.2 KB, 93 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice ideas, Deacon.

I'm not absolutely sure I know what you mean by track by track basis. And how do you do that?

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Nice ideas, Deacon.

I'm not absolutely sure I know what you mean by track by track basis. And how do you do that?

2b

What I mean is that you have the option to choose a single RealTrack with the 11 or 9 horns (depending on which RT you choose, e.g. Background Crooner Big Band, Soloist Big Band Crooner Shout, etc,) all on the same track which will trade off in some prescribed manner, or you can generate each of those 9 or 11 as indivudal tracks, e.g. the ones that read "(1trackhornsection)" and then export them into your DAW as you go.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks, Deacon.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
OP Offline
I have a Mac. Unfortunately, Real Band is PC program.

Last edited by Callie - PG Music; 11/22/18 07:47 AM. Reason: Post moved to Mac forum
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195