Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#501406 11/15/18 04:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
We started watching the CMA awards show.....

We made a few interesting comments and observations.

1. I'll bet there's no one in that room named "George". *wife

2. I never heard of them..... (all 5 of the people or songs nominated for song of the year) *wife

3. What is it with these "sleeve" tattooed baseball cap wearing nose singers? Doesn't anyone sing from the heart anymore? *me

4. That ain't country music ( referring to the guy with the highschool marching band *both

5. Where's the remote? *wife

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That was funny Herb. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
At least you attempted to watch it. That's WAY more than we did or have done for quite a few years. I guess hope springs eternal smile

J&B

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The closest to country they came was Chris Stapleton.

I had to take the dog out and when I came back in I think it was a group called Midland doing a pretty hot and faithful cover of EastBound and Down in a tribute to Burt Reynolds.

The channel was changed shortly thereafter.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
They should change the name from CMA (Country Music Awards) to PMA (Pop Music Awards)! There was no country there. Paisley and Urban can sing and play country but they don't on these award shows.

My wife is a big fan of this new "country". Our rule is whomever is driving the car controls the radio. It can be painful as a passenger! I play jazz, blues or classical when I drive. She tolerates blues and likes classical but not so much for jazz.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I used to get my evening entertainment watching the Facebook die hard country music critics dissing that show..... but knowing me.... I always had to make some smart alack comment.... one guy in particular one year was really ticking me off with his inane commentary. I knew him and at one time he had tried to hire me to play in his band. I begged off, too busy with studio stuff, etc..... He was a likeable fellow. However. He fashioned himself to be one of the "old traditionalists" and best buds with the Nashville and Bakersfield legends. He even painted his guitar red white and blue....to play the hole in the wall gigs where 20 people might show up. He even had multiple sequined suits that he wore and a big white cowboy hat..... everyone else in the band had to wear the same matching clothes...... anyway, he was babbling on...diarrhea of the mouth on the computer keyboard about how bad the music was that night. Nothing was country.... but at that time, yeah, it was pretty nice country music.... they still hadn't even hit the bro country phase yet. Anyway, I forget what I said to him but it included "if it's really that bad, why the heck* are you even watching it?"..... I clicked back in a few minutes only to get a pop up message that the post was unavailable..... hummmmm.... not only did he unfriend me, but the guy blocked me. Oh well.... some folks can't take a joke.

Watching the CMAs since just hasn't been the same since.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I had to take the dog out and when I came back in I think it was a group called Midland doing a pretty hot and faithful cover of EastBound and Down in a tribute to Burt Reynolds.

Midland is a great group I believe from Texas. They are one of the few more traditionally based acts out there right now.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Midland is a great group I believe from Texas. They are one of the few more traditionally based acts out there right now.

Yep... I caught the tail end of their cover. The guitar twin lead solos were hot.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
God, I knew it! I was just waiting!!

I KNEW Caaron Hear to Learn was going to play the voice of the Group Conscience and stand up for the onward evolution of the human species and our Divine right to produce...I don't what, exactly...but something!

And I am on Hear to Learn's side after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody.

What I am Here to Learn is to see if we call all pull together so that next year Chris Stapleton is in drag, and there are a lot of nose rings, and guys in baseball caps in drag kissing one another, and a lot of girl on girl, boy on girl on girl on boy or girl on boy on boy, and some Lady Gaga country, and as much lipstick and glitter as we can get on those baseball caps, with lots of Hip Hop.

Come on you old fuddy duddies!! This is new country! This is America! This is Disney, and it is all about family friendly multi-sexual, gender neutral frolic and fun!

Get with it Herb!

You go Hear to Learn!

You tell 'em man! The kids are all right!

Oooops...

make sure to insert smiley so people don't think I am being sarcastic..

smile

Or will that make them think I am being sarcastic? Mmmmmmmm. Maybe two smileys??

smile smile

Three to be on the safe side? Don't want to get moderated...

smile smile smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don’t recognize a single name mentioned here. But I can emphasize. Most of the music at “jazz festivals” isn’t jazz.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I don’t recognize a single name mentioned here. But I can emphasize. Most of the music at “jazz festivals” isn’t jazz.

Same deal with blues, much of the music at blues festivals isn't blues. The headlining act at the Ottawa blues fest a couple of years ago was Kiss eek

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ok. But at least when they do that, you get something to sing the blues about.

“Woke up this mornin’
Hopin’ to hear some blues.

Woke up this mornin’
Hopin’ to hear some blues.

But the promoters of the festival hired these weird rock groups and it made no sense

So we heard no blues. “

Jazz musicians? We got nothin’.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
"... that ain't country"

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Quote:
Same deal with blues, much of the music at blues festivals isn't blues. The headlining act at the Ottawa blues fest a couple of years ago was Kiss eek

Likewise, an awful lot of the music at Merlefest isn't bluegrass.

Music is a language, and all language evolves. Otherwise, we'd all be speaking Latin.

I see music festivals as being like fashion shows. They focus on what's coming in fashion, and its never what's currently on the racks at the mall. They're flinging spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks, and consumers resist change so very little sticks. I find it interesting that you can still buy bell bottoms. Who'd have guessed?

Pat Marr #502039 11/18/18 11:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

...I see music festivals as being like fashion shows. They focus on what's coming in fashion, and its never what's currently on the racks at the mall. They're flinging spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks, and consumers resist change so very little sticks. I find it interesting that you can still buy bell bottoms. Who'd have guessed?

Good point. I think the Telluride BG Festival discovered that before Merlefest.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well....

I think the MC made some sort of statement about No one is "straight" in Nashville anymore...... My wife and I caught that little tidbit.... it was said in one context, but so true in another context. Some of the most innovative and fresh writers in Nashville are not straight. Do I care? Nope.... not one bit. I care about how they look at the world through song. Brandy Clark being one of my favorite newer writers from Nashville town..... if you're not familiar with her writing.... hit Youtube for an education. A local writer... Mark Bunn, David Snyder also knows him, gave me a cd with some bro country and the last half dozen tunes were Brandy Clark.... I wore that thing out. Take a little Pill, That's How illegitimate children are born, What'll keep me out of heaven, and......

Hold my hand. Do yourself a favor.... use headphones. Set back, close your eyes, and listen.

https://www.afterellen.com/people/206805-brandy-clark-is-country-musics-great-lesbian-hope

As far as sleeved tats..... hey, whatever pulls your trigger. I served in the Marine corps for a while. Not much surprises me after seeing the things I saw while on active duty in the places we were sent.

I'm with it.... I think.

And really.... aside from the "purists"..... every single genre of music has evolved and changed. Look at what has happened to rock, country, bluegrass, and more. Regarding the purists.... they tend to be stuck in a certain timeframe of that genre's music.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/19/18 07:36 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
And really.... aside from the "purists"..... every single genre of music has evolved and changed. Look at what has happened to rock, country, bluegrass, and more. Regarding the purists.... they tend to be stuck in a certain timeframe of that genre's music.

As is often the case, I agree with Herb

Music is music, period. Genres are thought up by people, mere classifications based on what a certain song that started the genre sounded like. If purists had their way, there'd only be one song, played with exactly the same holy technique every time, and those who deviate from the holy technique would be excommunicated.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
She reminds me of Trisha Yearwood. Beautiful voice.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Regarding Country being Pop today; I've watched the new show Real Country and I had to laugh when Travis Tritt, Shania Twain and Jake Owens all stated that today's CM is blah and sounds like Pop. THEY are part of the problem that began with Garth, IMO.

Trax

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think that started with Waylon.. Lord it's the same old tune fiddle and guitar, where do we take it from here, Rhinestone suits and new shiny cars it's been the same way for years, people need a change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN3_CWyPtLQ

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Was there ever ‘real’ C&W? Seems it has ALWAYS favored flashy suits and flashy hair with a couple of outlaws that didn’t fit the mold.

This coming from a guy who has only a dozen or so country CDs out of a collection of a thousand or so.
Here’s my list:

Johnny Cash
George Strait
Lyle Lovett
Emmylou Harris
Allison Krauss
Junior Brown
Randy Travis
Nickel Creek
Alan Jackson (honeymoon thing)

I guess one might count my Chet Atkins albums but I don’t.

I’ve never understood the appeal of Garth Brooks and later for the most part.

Everyone raves about Chris Stapleton but I hear more blues than country music with him.

This probably sounds like an old man rant, but my distaste goes back to before I was born with all the fake cowboy clothes and hee haw trappings.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195