Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
I've played guitar for 50 years but I've just been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

Most of the problems I've got are lack of practice but has anyone any tips as to what might help with regard to changed technique?

Veteran
Veteran
Michael J.Fox has had parkinson's for many years now, and in addition to being an actor he is also a guitarist.

He still plays guitar, not sure if he needed to change his technique as a result, but this recent video of him playing with Coldplay shows he can still play:

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 11/15/18 05:36 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Not me, but my life long bud, Lenny. Lenny played the circuit from rock band to church band over 50 years. At ~ age 60 he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. For the following ~ 8 years he was able to still getup and jam. He talked about the muscle memory kicking in when he played so that while the meds minimized the tremors in daily life, the guitar was not a problem at all. That should be the good news for you.

Unfortunately Parkinsons is a progressive degenerative disease. At 70 Lenny no longer plays. So it is a [*****] of a diagnosis. Get a good doctor who prescribes lots of meds and you will extend your quality of life.

Keep on rocken as long as you can. It is what we all try to do.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Michael J.Fox has had parkinson's for many years now, and in addition to being an actor he is also a guitarist.

He still plays guitar, not sure if he needed to change his technique as a result, but this recent video of him playing with Coldplay shows he can still play:

What! I came to see what people had to say on the subject, but I never knew Michael J. Fox played guitar, especially given the severity of his condition. Bravo Mr. Fox.

Cheers,
Deryk
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
thanks guys - i think a lot of my problem is lack of practice and the thought of relearning what used to be second nature is daunting - but i'll give it a go

Veteran
Veteran
C'mon Deryk,

If you've never seen it before, catch the movie, "Back To The Future"! Excellent scene of Michael J. Fox playing the Chuck Berry song Johnnie B. Goode.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I’ve had “early stage” Parkinson’s for five years with only mild progression. Hopefully this rate of progression will continue.
My tremors are severe enough to make carrying a glass of water or using my mouse difficult.
It hasn’t affected my guitar playing at all. I have a YouTube channel and you can see my picking hand shaking quite a bit. My other hand is much worse but it’s usually in motion.
I was playing a B B King thing demonstrating his vibrato. One of the comments was that I must have such a beautiful vibrato because of my hand tremors. Not the case. I’m

Veteran
Veteran
Although I don't have PD, I have Focal Dystonia, a disease that's equally debilitating and affects, primarily, the fingers on my left hand. I have no feeling in my little finger at all, and my ring finger and middle finger have about 35% - 40% ability to process tactile sensation. My middle finger and ring finger sometimes (four or five times weekly) become as rigid as stone and it's quite painful. That particular symptom typically lasts 20 - 60 minutes per episode. By trade, I'm a lead guitarist, so it does affect my musical activities substantially. I only sing when I want to annoy people. It usually works!

Every time I write a new song, or learn somebody else's published song, I have to play it over and over at least 50 or 60 times to develop muscle memory in those fingers in order to play the guitar tracks of the song. But, I played for about 50 years in several different bands and made pretty decent money, so I'm not gonna complain too much. I'll be 75 pretty soon but still practice at least an hour, usually closer to two hours, almost every day.

But, to all who have an impediment of some kind to their ability to perform on their instrument, I wish you well and hope your ability to perform stays with you for a long time into the future.

Take care and Merry Christmas ...

Alan

If interested, here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's information on Focal Dystonia:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dystonia/symptoms-causes/syc-20350480

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
yes i do and i first discovered the Parkinsons tremor when i was about to go on stage and the tremor was so bad i couldn't play. funnily enough day to day i don't have much of a tremor but stiffness is my main problem. i was diagnosed about three years ago. my left hand is fine but my right hand is not reliable for strumming. the first minute or so of finger picking is fine but reapdly my right hand starts to miss beats and strings. my main acoustic guitar is a Martin D35 which i've been playing since 1972. a couple of years ago, to help with the Parkinsons I bought a Martin OO17s, small body 12fret neck and short scale.

my main problem is disappointment - I used to play quite well but as soon as i hit a problem i stop playing. so its a vicious circle - how much is Parkinsons and how much is me not practicing?

i keep promising myself to play for an hour a day but as you know Parkinsons messes with your head too and depression and apathy often win and the guitar stays in the case.

i'll follow this thread with interest adn force myself to play!

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/glenn-tipton-joins-judas-priest-onstage

Glenn Tipton still joins Judas Priest onstage now and again.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
PG Music Staff
Online Content
PG Music Staff
My grandad before he passed away from surgical complications had Parkinsons and loved to play guitar! It was his primary passion in life outside of tinkering on whatever gizmos had captured his fascination at the time. He pretty much switched from picking to strumming when he couldn't pick anymore, and when he couldn't hold his guitar on his own he'd sit back in a recliner so that the guitar resting against him a bit more, and eventually some extra straps and trays to help out balance and adjust posture and such to hold things up and in place. My general advice is find what works best for you and modify if you need to. It can be really frustrating to feel like you can't play as well as you used to, but it's okay if you miss bits here and there. I may not have Parkinsons myself and know exactly those struggles, but I do have visual problems that need constant adjusting in order to keep doing some of the things I love, and there's going to come a time when I can't do them anymore because my vision has deteriorated too far - so I can fully sympathize with the feelings expressed here.

Cheers,
Ember
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
thanks for the encouragment ember and sorry to hear about your failing sight. some positive progress. the new smaller guitar is easier to hold but the neck is wider and shallower than the d35 that i've been playing since the early 70s. i don't think i'll ever get used to the modern martin necks but i'm trying.

not practicing as much as i need to but things are geting better. don't think i'lll ever be as good as i was again but things are improving.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Good to hear.

Last edited by Byron Dickens; 03/13/22 07:58 AM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Since I last posted on this subject I’ve been taking Levodopa and I am responding really well to the medication. The meds lose effectiveness 5-7 years but for now it’s really good. I have an occasional problem playing where I pick the wrong string or play the wrong note. My neurologist says it’s something called occupational disfunction . As it gets worse an occupational therapist can do a lot to help.
Below is a video I made talking about my Parkinson’s. I play guitar (with a BIAB backing track). My plan is to make a video of me playing the same thing every six months. In time I’ll be able to make a compilation that will demonstrate my progression.

https://youtu.be/PaeutU292K4

Expert
Expert
Howdy Blues1952....

Thanks for telling your story and the path you are taking.

I don't have Parkinson's and it's not in my family.
But, about a decade ago, I noticed my left side was feeling weaker than my right.
I was lifting weights at the time (just for functional strength) and which helped me self diagnose the problem.
Made the doctor appt, he did some shock sort of tests and told me I have spinal stenosis which is also degenerative....my dad had it later in life too.

Right side wasn't affected early on.
Now....I can't stand for more than 5 minutes or so....like doing dinner dishes....as both legs go to sleep and I'll drop like a rock to the floor without any real warning.
I have to walk with a cane now.

My left arm goes to sleep occasionally and I can't play the acoustic because my right arm goes to sleep due to the wider body.
I can still play my Tele and go through my 30 song set list of favorite cover tunes just to keep up my rhythm chops.
I'm still writing/recording....although I've not written anything new in a few months.

So....I wish everyone well that are dealing with Parkinson's and hope you find the right drug cocktail to help with day to day life and the ability to play.

I have no clue how I reached 75 so quickly.
This getting old isn't for the faint of heart. smile

Thanks again....have a great day.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Good on y'all for not quitting - for not giving up.

I see too many people who say "I can't." Usually based on some arbitrary number on the calendar or on the idea that they can't be "professional level." Whatever that is.

Byron Dickens

J
J
Hey Bob,
Would you mind reaching out sometime? I know this post is a little old, but have been doing a study on guitar playing with Parkinson's Disease, and would love to get your feedback (and anyone else with this diagnosis).
Thanks!
Jim

Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
by all means send mt a Private Message but updating the forum as follows.

as backgroud for those of you who might be reading but don't know much about parkinsons its effects are not just physical. it can give you depression and result in apathy - you don't fgeel like doing things you used to enjoy. hence practicing and playing are not as much fun as they used to be and combined with the disappointment of not being abvle to play what i used to it's a vicious circle.

however, playing for my own benefit is not as appealing as it might be - and not as much of an incentive as i used to have when i was playing in public. recently i invested in a small acoustic amp. don't think i'll ever get back my fingerpicking skills but i can still strum a rhythm. left hand works fine. the new amp has an input for a mic and also auxiliary input that can take mp3s. so with BIAB and RB i've been creating backing tracks minus the guitar part so when i play thme through the amp I can add a guitar part. and as they have a bass and drums it helps keep mw in time and on beat.

i'm preparing a set to play at social gatherings - whether i do or not is not clear at the moment. but i'm back to making music and practicing for a gig that may never happen.

muscle memory is still working and that's why i've gone back to ther D35 as opposed to the smaller OO17s. chords still fall easily under my fingers. When i bought the 17s i could play it fine but after 50 years i'm so used to the neck on the D35 it's one variaible i can remove from the mix.

so things are looking up and good lvuk to everyone who shared their own misfortunes and how they overcome them.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195