Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Hi everyone!

I've been using and testing BIAB and RealBand 2010 for the last two weeks and, unfortunately I've found that both programs are very unstable on my system:

1. Since I installed BIAB and RealBand, two weeks ago I've got three Blue Screen of Death on my system, something extremely rare on my computer (so rare, in fact, that it's the first time it has happened)
2. On a typical two hours session with any of the programs I get no less than one or two "Access violation" crashes (ussually on NTDLL.DLL or RDAS16.DLL lybraries) on the system. This forces me to restart the operating system losing all the work previously done.

These are the most frustating problems, but I've found several minor problems that makes using the program a very irritating experience in some cases, for example:

3. Some jazz-bass Realtracks in BIAB (ex: Bass Samba, RT #719) will produce and obstinato-quarter high notes from time time.
4. In BIAB, muting a Soloist Realtrack in bar #1 (through F5) doesnt mute the notes played on bar 0; on these cases you'll hear part of he line played by the RT just before bar 1
5. "Mute Melody during Middle Chorus" function doesn't work with Realtracks.
6. In BIAB, Resizing the main program Window drives to many problems when returning to the normal size (Scrolling bars doesn't work).
7. In Realband the scrolling on the "Chord Windows" is very slow and doesn't work from time to time.

I would like to know if any of the other users on this forum have similar problems to be sure that the problem is not with the program, but with any kind of conflict with any of the components of my computer. I must say, however, that I'm using some pretty complex audio programs in my computer (like Cubase SX3) without any kind of problem.

Of course, I have the latests patches of both programs in my system (running Windows XP and ASIO drivers from my Edirol UA-4FX Soundcard; I've tried with the internal Audiocard too, and even using ASIO4All drives with the same results ) and after finding so many problems I've formatted my system Hard disk, and reinstalled the Operating System: Same problems...

Any help very much appreciated!

Peace!

Veteran
Veteran
I have 2010 of both running on xp and vista with no major problem other than the error on leaving Vista.

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

1. Since I installed BIAB and RealBand, two weeks ago I've got three Blue Screen of Death on my system, something extremely rare on my computer (so rare, in fact, that it's the first time it has happened)

If trying to use the Drag and Drop window of either program at the same time the other one is opened, we must set one of the two programs to use MME (Windows WDM) sound drivers and not try to use ASIO on both programs at the same time. ASIO doesn't like that. I usually set BiaB to use MME sound drivers when changing it over to the DAW window.

Even if not using the DAW window feature, you may experience this kind of thing when closing one of the two programs and opening the other program too quickly. You may find that you have to give the first program more time to totally release the soundcard drivers and such before starting the other program, which will first start looking to activate them.

Quote:

2. On a typical two hours session with any of the programs I get no less than one or two "Access violation" crashes (ussually on NTDLL.DLL or RDAS16.DLL lybraries) on the system. This forces me to restart the operating system losing all the work previously done.

If the above applies, it likely applies to this as well.

Quote:

These are the most frustating problems, but I've found several minor problems that makes using the program a very irritating experience in some cases, for example:

3. Some jazz-bass Realtracks in BIAB (ex: Bass Samba, RT #719) will produce and obstinato-quarter high notes from time time.

Please document this with the full RealTrack names of the files involved, if you can, and send the info to beta@pgmusic.com along with the attached songfile. This may help support get to the bottom of these kind of problems a bit faster so they can develop an update patch and publish the fix -- if they are able to duplicate the problem. Sometimes an mp3 file of the program doing something like this can be valuable, too.

Quote:

4. In BIAB, muting a Soloist Realtrack in bar #1 (through F5) doesnt mute the notes played on bar 0; on these cases you'll hear part of he line played by the RT just before bar 1

Known problem that was reported during beta. Don't know what the timeline for a possible fix would be, but let us pray that it is sooner than later.

Quote:

5. "Mute Melody during Middle Chorus" function doesn't work with Realtracks.

Maybe they should change that comand to read, "Mute MIDI Melody during Middle Choruses" ti orevent the confusion. To Mute a RealTrack, Rightclick at the bar and choose Bar Settings and mute from the window that opens. Don't miss the Chorus picker dropdown at the top of that window.

Quote:

6. In BIAB, Resizing the main program Window drives to many problems when returning to the normal size (Scrolling bars doesn't work).

You should have seen it during the beta (Grin). This is another one to report directly to the development team, though.

Quote:

7. In Realband the scrolling on the "Chord Windows" is very slow and doesn't work from time to time.

Ditto. Report this directly.

Thanks for the thorough explanation and including all the pertinent information about your system, that really helps out, I think. Sometimes getting to the bottom of a forum poster's problem can seem like pulling teeth in that regard.

--Mac

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Cerio,

Regarding the periodic crash, try increasing the latency/buffer size in your ASIO driver's control panel. If that doesn't help, try selecting MME as your audio driver type and see if that fixes it. Also, make sure you haven't unintentionally selected an unfamiliar DX plugin (Check the DirectX window). Does the problem still happen if you only select the VSC-DXi in the DirectX Window, and use MME drivers? Run the program for some time like this to find out.

Regarding the Bass - can you send a sample song that has that problem? Then we should be able to find out what's happening there. I listened to the Bass Samba style for a while but haven't heard what you are talking about yet...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello John,

Quote:

I have 2010 of both running on xp and vista with no major problem other than the error on leaving Vista

What type of video card to you have? You can check by right-clicking My Computer | Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | Display Adaptors. If it's an NVIDIA product, you *should* be able to fix this by downloading the latest drivers.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
Apprentice
My BIAB 2010 and Real Band are crashing and giving me white screens. I thought it was because I'm a newbie and don't know what I'm doing. I also cannot render WAV files or even burn CD without crashing my new computer. Could this be a Windows 7 issue? I'm a very sad girl because of this.
Carolyne

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My BIAB 2010 and Real Band are crashing and giving me white screens. I thought it was because I'm a newbie and don't know what I'm doing. I also cannot render WAV files or even burn CD without crashing my new computer. Could this be a Windows 7 issue? I'm a very sad girl because of this.
Carolyne

<Thanks for the thorough explanation and including all the pertinent information about your system, that really helps out, I think. Sometimes getting to the bottom of a forum poster's problem can seem like pulling teeth in that regard.>

Carolyne, this is from Mac's post above.

detailed info about your system and a problem description just like the original poster did please. Laptop, desktop, name brand, digital audio interface, cpu, memory, video card, o/s. Yes, you said Windows 7 but home, business, 32 or 64 bit?

Detailed means detailed. Thanks,

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Don't know if this is relvent Carolyne, but I have BIAB 2010 everything running sweetly here - on win 7 ult 64 bit.

Just so you know

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Take a tip from 00's singature line and add relavent info

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

C
Cerio Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
C
Quote:

Even if not using the DAW window feature, you may experience this kind of thing when closing one of the two programs and opening the other program too quickly. You may find that you have to give the first program more time to totally release the soundcard drivers and such before starting the other program, which will first start looking to activate them.
--Mac

Thanks, Mac, That whas a very useful information. I've been testing the program these days with this in mind and crashes are less common now.

Quote:

Regarding the periodic crash, try increasing the latency/buffer size in your ASIO driver's control panel. If that doesn't help, try selecting MME as your audio driver type and see if that fixes it. Also, make sure you haven't unintentionally selected an unfamiliar DX plugin (Check the DirectX window). Does the problem still happen if you only select the VSC-DXi in the DirectX Window, and use MME drivers? Run the program for some time like this to find out.

Regarding the Bass - can you send a sample song that has that problem? Then we should be able to find out what's happening there. I listened to the Bass Samba style for a while but haven't heard what you are talking about yet...

Thanks for the answer, Andrew. I've been testing different configurations founding that the best configuration for my system is using Standard Windows MIDI Output with MME Drivers THROUGH my soundcard. There seems to be any kind of incompatibility problem between my soundcard's ASIO drivers (Edirol UA-4FX) and BIAB. However the crashes are still there from time to time, particulary when saving a song with frozen Realtracks and reopening it. I'll continue experimenting on the next days and I'll try to be more specific.

On the other hand, I've sent the files to beta@pgmusic.com..

In the meanwhile, I've found some other minor problems and inconsistences on my system:

1. In Realband, sometimes generating an entire track with Real Track #443 (Acoustic Jazz Bass) doesn't work.
2. In BIAB Realdrum windows, pressing "Audition" on "CountryShuffle68" loads "CountryShuffle128-080" instead of the correct file.
3. Chord preview (Shift + Enter), Eart Trainning Windows, and Chord Builder Window doesn't work with any other driver than Windows MME.
4. "Swap Melody and Soloist part" function doesn't work with Realtracks.
5. Soloist "Double time" Option doesnt't work with Real Soloist (Since it's an automatic feautre since BIAB 2010 maybe it should be disabled with RTs)
6. Set #55 Jazz-Bebop doesn't support Tempo Swapping feature. This means that if you have a Jazz song at, say 280 BPM, the program will load Jazz Realtracks at 140 BPM at half tempo (wich doesn't work for the song) instead of loading Bebop sets (at 190 BPM) playng the song in a realistic way.

Peace, Cerio

S
S
Well...it's 2014 and things haven't changed. These programs are garbage.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195