Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks.

For the past several days I was trying to solve a problem that I do not know exact cause of.

I came to BIAB from the world of hardware/software arrangers. So far, I was lucky to avoid such issues as latency with common cures.... Here is the issue: My software arranger has it's own synth and it outputs WAV files for individual tracks, similar to BIAB...

When I import these files to DAW they do not sync up well to time grid (and to files from BIAB) The BIG question for me is that I do not know whether it is plain latency or more vicious problem like tempo map errors. Before I try to cure something, I would like to know the cause...

Can anybody with knowledge about these things help me, by looking at a file and telling me what is exactly wrong with it... Is it latency or more than that...? It would help me a lot.

Thank you.

P.S. I took many (many!) steps tweaking hardware scenario / buffers etc. I am 99% percent sure it is internal to that specific arranger software, that can not be alleviated by "tweaking" hardware.... I think only option is... is to do something with the outputted files.

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Rustyspoon,

The Audio Chord Wizard would actually help you figure this out. If you import that audio file into the Audio Edit window and set all the bar lines using Audio Chord Wizard mode, then send of chords back to Band-in-a-Box, Band-in-a-Box will insert a tempo change on every measure to sync its bars to the audio.

If those tempo changes vary by much, then I would say that the audio file's tempo was inconsistent. If you have trouble doing this, feel free to send me the audio file. I might not be able to get to it right away, but I'll be happy to check it out for you when I have a minute. smile

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Kent, Thank you for volunteering!

I was doing more experimenting with recording files on my arranger...
I used same chord grid and used different styles, recording separate tracks, and whole mix. I came to the conclusion that it is latency, which is very consistent with the rest of the tracks from my arranger. What I mean by consistent, is that all files outputted by arranger are in sync with each other, but not syncing with DAW grid or files from BIAB.

I am just trying to figure out how to sync files from BIAB with ones from arranger, with least amount of headache. It seems that what you suggested (Chord Wizard) might work... Not sure if it is possible to just get a Tempo Map from file to use in BIAB to compensate for latency...

I have a suggestion... If you think that might work, maybe you can do "show me how" video, that way it will be available as tutorial for somebody who faces similar issues. If you are up for the task, kindly let me know and I can give you file(s)... either drums or whole mix that have latency issue.

Thank you,
Misha.

Veteran
Veteran
Misha, is the amount it is not syncing consistent?

By that I mean is bar 2 beat 1 off the grid by the same amount as bar 1 beat 1?

If so can you just slide the track(s) so that they line up properly with the grid? Not sure what DAW you are using, but that is very easily done in Reaper.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave, thanks for trying!
No, it is not that simple.
It is exponential latency. It is consistent within tracks exported from arranger. You do not feel it first 4 bars or so, than it is more and more evident. By bar 20 it is a chaos.

It is an uphill battle with developer of that arranger record audio of correct tempo. I am 99% sure it is not related to my hardware. I am left with current and future files from arranger and BIAB. I hoped that joining those two file sets would be a love from first sight, but it feels more and more like arranged marriage frown

Misha.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Misha,

So, it's almost like the BPM is off by a fraction. You wouldn't notice it at first but the more the song progresses the more out of sync it will get.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will have a solution!

Veteran
Veteran
Misha, I've had similar issues in the past in which one tool handled BPMs by whole number and another would handle to one decimal place to the right. When I would look at the tracks in my Pro Tools DAW you could see at the end that they didn't line up. I used a stretch feature in Pro Tools to drag the set of tracks that were off to line up at the end of the song and it worked. Not sure if you have that capability in the software choices you have.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave, Steve,
Thanks for trying!

You essentially speaking of same thing. It would work, if lets say one set of files was recorded at 100BPM and the other at 105BPM. I can see that stretching would work... In my case, I believe it is exponential. It is sort of Fibonacci effect.
If it was one time deal, I would slice and dice the "thing" into 4 bar sections and just align everything, but it is far more than that.. I have many things already arranged in that software, and hopefully will be using it in the future. Just have to find the right method/workflow with BIAB. Tempo map, certainty sounds interesting.

Misha.

Veteran
Veteran
Misha,

Can you use Dropbox or equivalent to make a couple of files available and then post links to those files in this post? One wav file from your arranger keyboard and one from BIAB is all that we'd need. We could then download those files and see what exactly the the alignment problem is. It would be much easier to help find a solution if we had something physical to work with.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
To make things simpler I have uploaded two drum lines.
Both are supposed to be 105BPM. The BIAB syncs to time grid/bars perfectly in Cakewalk, the one from software arranger drifts away. Any line (bass, piano etc...) from software arranger drifts same way with same latency pattern.

BIAB:
BIAB 105 BPM

Soft. Arranger:
arranger

I know how to manually fix a track, but was hoping to find easier, more automated approach to fix this latency as a part of workflow, not surgery smile Would appreciate some input.

Thank you,
Misha.

Veteran
Veteran
Misha, The BiaB drums are spot on. The arranger drums drift. This is plainly shown but the pics below. Thus the problem is with the arranger. Probably due to BPM differences. Maybe the arranger when set at 105BPM isn't exactly like BiaB's 105 BPM. You may have to experiment with the arranger to get the BBMs to match BiaB. I can plainly see the drift on my Studio One DAW.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
105BPM-start.jpg (115.14 KB, 82 downloads)
105BPM start
105BPM-ending.jpg (146.56 KB, 82 downloads)
105BPM ending
drums 105-start.jpg (93.9 KB, 82 downloads)
drums 105 start
drums 105-ending.jpg (138.02 KB, 82 downloads)
drums 105 ending
Last edited by MarioD; 11/27/18 11:51 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario, thanks for trying.
Yes, I am aware that issue is with arranger...
Arranger does not adheres to any clock. There are no special adjustments in arranger. This is the WAV file it records. The question is how to fix it right so files works with BIAB...

Expert
Expert
Ok pulling both files into Melodyne shows Drums105 @ 105.046 BPM and 105Drums @ 104.862 BPM. As Dave said fairly simple fix in Reaper. In Melodyne too. In Melodyne simply load the track it shows the speed eg 104.862 then set the BPM to 105 you can see the file shuffle then save the file.

My two bobs worth

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 11/27/18 12:24 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tony, thank you!
Can you please clarify something for me. So if I take 2 files The arranger and BIAB to Melodyne and set them at 105 firm (individually) / save them, they should be in sync, correct?

I never used Melodyne, but I believe I have a basic licence that came with Nectar...

Misha.

Expert
Expert
They will synch better but there still a bit of drift within the file

You would need Melodyne Editor or whatever to do stuff such as guitars the easier way is pull the drums into Melodyne it will tell you the speed. Then in Reaper set the speed to exactly what Melodyne tells you say 105Drums and set the Bpm tp 104.862. Then pull the file into Reaper. Change the speed to 105 Bpm and render. Then create a new project for Drums105 set the project speed tp 105.046. Do the same change the speed to 105 then pull the previously rendered file in and they should synch.

Tony.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
Expert
Forget that it did not work as I thought. One file has drift within. I think.

Veteran
Veteran
For Logic Pro X it’s a very simple quick fix. Mark the track you want to match as the “groove track” and then any other track you select will align with it after a one or two second analysis.

I mention this under the assumption that other DAWs have a similar feature.

Cheers,

Bud

Expert
Expert
Ok I have it. In Reaper set up a project with the BPM @ 104.862 and pull in the file 105BPM drums change the speed to 105 BPM then pull in file Drums 105 BPM they then match spot on. It seems file 105BPM Drums (arranger) is out the other is on actually 105 BPM.

Also drop the level of 105BPM it clips.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 11/27/18 02:16 PM.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bud, Thank you for suggestion. I use Cakewalk, they have a tool called Audio Snap, I was experimenting with it without major luck. Very similar to what you are describing. Considering drums are the easiest of the bunch.

Tony, thank you for trying! I have done similar in Cakewalk. It allows resolution of 104.86 (which is close enough) I changed it like you described to 105 and imported second file.. Good thought smile but track wondered away in about a minute. It seems, there are internal tempo issues.

I know of a workaround as far as using software arranger to get the right tempo. Just exporting good old midi files.... What got me sold on software arranger is that it has it's own custom GM synth, which is pretty unique. It is "ok" for live "stand alone" setups, but exported files are nightmare to sync to something with correct tempo, such as BIAB WAVs.

P.S. Maybe developer of arranger will honor my request of fixing tempo issues. Hope is the most difficult thing to kill smile

Expert
Expert
I also use Sonar for some stuff but I found Reaper much easier for this type of thing. As I said in Reaper set the project speed to 104.862 and pull in the file 105BPM drums. Then change the project speed to 150. It will change to 150 and stretch accordingly. Then the second file can load normally (it is already 150). Sonar does not do the same thing as far as I know.

Yes shifting all transients is a huge job. I’ve been there and done that. That is why once I started manipulating audio files in Reaper I found it far easier than Sonar. I therefore kept Reaper as well as Sonar. I prefer Sonar to Reaper for midi (cntrl F1 gives a heap of scripts to manipulate midi in Sonar)

You could download the trial of Reaper. Convert the offending file, render it and pull it into Sonar to do the rest. Very quick. Just a thought.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 11/27/18 06:30 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199