Page 1 of 2 1 2
#505355 11/30/18 01:02 PM
User Showcase
PeterF Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's The Way Life Goes

A new one - bit of a duet with us both doing some singing.

Leon - Lyrics and vocal
I sing and play the guitar.

The Band:
RealTracks in song: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1537:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBelieveArp Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: CountryEven16: a: Brushes b: Snare, HiHat

That’s The Way Life Goes

You don’t want me and that’s OK
That’s the way life goes
There’s nothing more you have to say
That’s the way life goes

No one has to be the bad guy
No one has to take the blame
Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

They were married in the springtime
She wore flowers in her hair
I wished her every happiness
And smiled through my despair

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

I did my share of drinking
And crying in my beer
But in time I just moved on
Found someone else to care

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

Hello stranger, how do you do?
Did I kiss you long ago?
Did I swear I’d be forever true?
Were you sad to see me go?

Everybody has to get by
Any way they can

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
"PeterF", Leon & all...

Listening to your song, "That's the Way Life Goes", I felt like I was in the midst of some huge audience in a colossal performance space, with all us thousands of listeners united in our hearts and souls as we stood entranced in silent empathy with the melancholy lyrics and forgiving music.

That comment applies to the production, the sound of which is as spacious a forest, and yet as intimate as family members gathered around a relative about to blow out the candles on a birthday cake after someone turns off the lights.

The comment also applies to the backward-looking lyrics that seem to describe the subject of the song taking stock of his past decisions, the consequences of those decisions, and resignedly accepting them, but with an open door to future happiness, if only...

Major impact, here, folks, emotionally, technically, musically, lyrically...it's all there.

I bow to your creativity and sensitivity!

LOREN

P.S> Was that Ms. Janice's harmonizing voice I heard in the mix?

Last edited by bluage; 11/30/18 02:51 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I most certainly enjoyed this piece. It brought a smile to my face because of its beauty. I like the build in instrumentation into the gentle swell at the end. Great guitar playing and memorable vocals!

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hey there edshaw, this was wonderful! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Great effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice Peter and Leon!

lots of good lines, my favorite:

"I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun"

Nice arrangement, very effective starting off with just the acoustic. Nice change into the melodic guitar solo at 1:49, and I really like that slide up thing you do a couple of times at the end, very cool.

Enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
"I had my tilt at piety
When I was very young
Even tried sobriety
But that wasn’t any fun"

Yea Brilliant !.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely song Peter and Leon. Vocals were just super. Guitar was exceptional Peter so complimentary to the song. Just fit perfectly. Did I here a little whammy pedal in there. Very cool effect.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the song. Reminded me of John Prine a bit, but better.

Like how it built as it went along. The key change at the 1:45 point was a nice surprise.

I feel that the doubled vocals were a distraction. Especially up in the first few verses. I liked them in the chorus before that really nice guitar solo. Kudo's on the solo and the slide work.

When you double the vox, try to get the parts closer to the same phrasing on such an intimate song. They came in at a strange place. Partly into the verse. After the key change, they seemed to work and fit and sound better. Seems you took the time to sync the phrasing better. That made a world of difference.

That song is one that the audience would sit in stunned silence at the end for 5 seconds or so before erupting in thunderous applause at what they just experienced.

I like it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Peter & Leon,

Love the gentle reflection in these lyrics and the slow build of the production( with that fine guitar solo to end).
I`d agree with Guitarhacker that the doubled vocal coming in on the verse is distracting- sounds good on the chorus... and that`s a very cool singalong chorus!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Peter and Leon,

what a great listen!

a wonderful song, like the buildup, the guitar solo, and esp. the lyrics

I don't know if you're very familiar with Mark Knopfler's recent songs

but I couldn't help but think of him as a comparison (and of course I love his work)

i enjoyed this a lot,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Peter & Leon,

Cool song. Good write - the chorus in particular...excellent.

Really nice arrangement/production. Terrific build. The soaring guitar a perfect ending...nice.

A very enjoyable listen.

fj

User Showcase
PeterF Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
"PeterF", Leon & all...

Listening to your song, "That's the Way Life Goes", I felt like I was in the midst of some huge audience in a colossal performance space, with all us thousands of listeners united in our hearts and souls as we stood entranced in silent empathy with the melancholy lyrics and forgiving music.

That comment applies to the production, the sound of which is as spacious a forest, and yet as intimate as family members gathered around a relative about to blow out the candles on a birthday cake after someone turns off the lights.

The comment also applies to the backward-looking lyrics that seem to describe the subject of the song taking stock of his past decisions, the consequences of those decisions, and resignedly accepting them, but with an open door to future happiness, if only...

Major impact, here, folks, emotionally, technically, musically, lyrically...it's all there.

I bow to your creativity and sensitivity!

LOREN

P.S> Was that Ms. Janice's harmonizing voice I heard in the mix?

Loren thanks for the delightful review you certainly have a way with word. And the harmony was not Janice this time just me doing my best Neil Young impersonation.

Peter

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Thank you for letting me hear your finely crafted tune... I enjoyed the listen.

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Peter & Leon, Great song! Some fine lyrics and for crying out loud Peter why are you not singing more. Those first verses were sung with commitment and sound so very good to my ears. I agree with Herb that the doubled vocals were distracting. The guitar solo was super and the whammy pedal surely did work. I really did enjoy it very much despite the doubling, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Peter / Leon,

This is a great write... I love the mix of both voices and the clarity of the mix.

Perfect all around.

Bob

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Nice song, Peter! Pleasant to listen to. I really liked the chorus.

Thank you for sharing!
Will

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Peter and Leon,

this is just another wonderful song of yours. So well-sung and played, great changes I would never have expected. Very appealing lyrics again. And like always: great soloing, Peter. Love it !!!!

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
PeterF Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I most certainly enjoyed this piece. It brought a smile to my face because of its beauty. I like the build in instrumentation into the gentle swell at the end. Great guitar playing and memorable vocals!

Thanks a lot appreciate the comments.

Peter

User Showcase
PeterF Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there edshaw, this was wonderful! I found this very easy to listen and the mix sounds well polished too. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Great effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Joe

Peter

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Originally Posted By: PeterF
And the harmony was not Janice this time just me doing my best Neil Young impersonation.

Peter

Dear "PeterF"...

Well, your Neil Young impersonation complemented the song quite well. I agree with "tommyad" when he made the comment "...and for crying out loud Peter why are you not singing more." Your singing voice is laid-back, straightforward, clear and warm, and it compelled me to listen to the lyrics more closely. It's a storyteller's voice.

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,561
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200