Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
So whats all the fuss?Is 64 twice as fast as32?Is it higher quality somwhow?Will it do a better job of 'something'What? Seems to me its toys for boys,a bit like putting another pair of spotlights on yr car."Hey cool,guys,look at all my lights'.
I arrange my songsin BB andvthen send individ trackwavs to my DAW.Will it do that better?
Maybe someone(s) will splain to me what it will do for me as opposed to my obviously pathetic 32bits of something. crazy Ta,Wendy grin

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have personally not noticed any appreciable improvement in performance, but maybe that's just my modest "rig." In fact, with the little bit of messing around I've done over the last couple of days, I actually sensed that the 32 bit version ran smoother...

While I was somewhat excited to have Reaktor 6 and other plugins/vst(i)s running straight in BiaB, most of those I tried wouldn't run anyway and ended up crashing the system. What's more, dragging RTs/MIDI into Reaper and working from there is still so much simpler, I really could not find a single advantage of using the 64 bit version.

As for the plugin, the first time I tried it it simply crashed Reaper (and I've had Reaper crash less than a handful of times on huge projects, IIRC, when trying to load something dodgy or incompatible), so I'm not even gonna bother with that feature probably.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Expert
Expert
Others will be able to explain better than I. But in a nutshell with the increase in 64bit operating systems more and more applications are being written to make use of the 64bits. This increases memory use and can have better maths etc. Therefore the support for 32bit applications is slowly but surely waning. Most of the really good quality VSTs (plugins) for example natively are 64bit. For 64bit plugins to work with a 32bit application they need another program to get them to work (enter jbridge) this is not always successful. 64bits allows for better use of memory above 4gig. These days 8, 16, 32 or more gig systems are common place. It is a shame not to make the best use of them.

Operating systems such as those used by MACs are slowly but surely dropping support for 32bit applications.

There is a feeling amongst a lot of folk that also see the eventual end to 32bit OS for windows. This will take some time but for years now support for 16 or 8 bits has gone by the wayside.

I guess as things change we need to change with them. Make the best use of what is available.

Not a great explanation but it has been some time since I have had to make such explanations.

See https://www.izotope.com/en/support/knowledge-base/differences-between-32-bit-and-64-bit-audio-software-plug-ins.html

Much better explanation

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/03/18 01:23 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Tony has provided a very good explanation above.

Put simply, PG Music has future proofed Band In A Box by migrating it into a 64 bit platform. Not everyone will see the importance of this right now, but given time, this move will have become imperative.

I like to keep abreast of technology, so am moving now. Plus, I like the new features! smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Put simply, PG Music has future proofed Band In A Box by migrating it into a 64 bit platform. Not everyone will see the importance of this right now, but given time, this move will have become imperative.

I like to keep abreast of technology, so am moving now. Plus, I like the new features! smile

Are there any features available in 64 bit version not available in 32?

I realize 64 bit plugins are supported only in the 64 bit version

Thanks

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Are there any features available in 64 bit version not available in 32?

I realize 64 bit plugins are supported only in the 64 bit version

Thanks

I am told it is the same base code, but just complied for 32bit or 64 bit. Essentially the features are identical across versions (except for the 64 bit only content).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
Journeyman
I had been trying to use SWAM saxophone modeling as well as Pro Session and Mojo horns (via Kontakt) with Jbridge and experienced crashes after 5 minutes. So far with 64-bit no crashes. An example of what I can now do is use the Melody harmony function to feed a whole 5 piece horn section. Actually, I can use the THRU harmony to play LIVE fully-harmonized horn sections. This alone is pretty cool. 64-bit-ness is not the future.. It's the PRESENT.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
I had been trying to use SWAM saxophone modeling as well as Pro Session and Mojo horns (via Kontakt) with Jbridge and experienced crashes after 5 minutes. So far with 64-bit no crashes.

We need to see a lot more feedback like this regarding the BB19. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

As for the plugin, the first time I tried it it simply crashed Reaper (and I've had Reaper crash less than a handful of times on huge projects, IIRC, when trying to load something dodgy or incompatible), so I'm not even gonna bother with that feature probably.

We need this feedback also... frown

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Wendy,

If you are using mostly RTs, RDs and a little MIDI then 32 bit will work perfectly. But if you are using 64 bit VSTis and VSTs then 64 bit BiaB eliminates the need for the jBridge workaround. I gave up trying to get 64 bit VSTis to work properly in BiaB but now I will be able to use them natively, i.e. no jBridge workaround. Plus as been mentioned 32 bit programs are fading away.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
The only issue I have is that when I select the VST, I have ONE SHOT to use the VST GUI. Once it's minimized or closed, it requires shutting down BIAB and restarting. Trying to click again gives an "Editor is already open" error. I guess it IS open, but if I can't see it, that doesn't do me a whole lot of good.

Also, on a smaller monitor, I'd love to have the BIAB GUI menu go away as it takes up half the screen making me scroll all around for the VST GUI. I'm grateful to have something stable, but I hope PG Music can make some small tweaks toward useability. These instruments are killer, and would be fun to use in live settings if it weren't so difficult to change the parameters.

Last edited by PhillyJazz; 12/03/18 05:05 AM.

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
The only issue I have is that when I select the VST, I have ONE SHOT to use the VST GUI. Once it's minimized or closed, it requires shutting down BIAB and restarting.

Still the case in BB19?

Veteran
Veteran
On the technical side, even though 64-bit operating systems can run 32-bit applications, behind the scenes very memory address reference has to be translated from a 64-bit memory location to a 32-bit memory location. In a 64-bit app, that memory is addressed directly. On today's i7 processors, it is probably negligible, but in theory, that translation takes some time. And if a 32-bit programmer did some non-standard tricks to address memory (for performance, for example), it's possible that the 32-bit app will not operate properly at times in a 64-bit environment.

So, if the application is properly coded, you should see a better performing application running 64-bit code on a 64-bit operating system.

And as has been stated, because it's 64-bit, you are no longer constrained by a 4GB memory barrier of a 32-bit system. Even if your computer has 32GB in it, a 32-bit application can only use 4GB of the 32GB. Now the 32GB gives you more memory space to run multiple 32-bit applications, each application is constrained to the 4GB memory space. While theoretically, you could address 16 Exabytes in a 64-bit environment, today Windows 10 64-bit lets you actually address 128GB of memory (32 times what Windows XP supported).

So, if you use large sample libraries (which you probably aren't really doing much in BIAB), you could natively load all into memory. JBridge gets around that by fooling a 32-bit OS into thinking it's 64-bit, but there are overhead and constraints with that (and id doesn't always work).

And the world is going 64-bit, so as has been said, this will definitely set PGMusic up for the future (at least until a 128GB OS arrives).

Now, if we can just get RealBand and PowerTracks to 64-bit, and get all the plugins and "called" mini-apps up to 64-bit, then that will be "da bomb".

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thank yous.As my Win7 PC only has 4gb memory anyway I guess 64 bits wasted on me.For mysimplistic useage I guess I'll just keep on loving the new RTs and keep on doing what I'm doing the way that I do it.
As thenew one appears to be a bit buggy anyway I'll hold off a couple of weeks before I Splash his Cash.
Wendy

Journeyman
Journeyman
Don't forget you can still use the 32-bit version of BIAB 2019 whilst any 64-bit issues are being resolved. You also then of course can get all the great new RealTracks and Drums etc. the move to 64-bit is sonething PG Music had to do i think for their future long term.

Veteran
Veteran
Correct. Wendy, it's still a new version of Biab whether you need 64 bit or not. It has many enhancements, new styles, new midi Supertracks, new performances, lots of cool stuff.

Probably 90% of current users are like you, 64 bit does nothing for them and they don't care about using Biab as a VST in a DAW either. But, it brings PG Music into the modern world of 64 bit apps and that's a good thing. The fact that most of us are not power users doesn't mean that others are not high level power users. They will use the VST in a DAW plus they appreciate being able to use 64 bit plugins natively.

Biab needs to be able to accommodate all levels of users from basic to studio pros with degrees in music production.

To those who are having issues with the VST in a DAW part, this is brand new. We know it does work and it's better in some DAW's than others right now. Give it a little time, I'm amazed they got this far with it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
WendyM Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Correct. Wendy, it's still a new version of Biab whether you need 64 bit or not. It has many enhancements, new styles, new midi Supertracks, new performances, lots of cool stuff.

Probably 90% of current users are like you, 64 bit does nothing for them and they don't care about using Biab as a VST in a DAW either. But, it brings PG Music into the modern world of 64 bit apps and that's a good thing. The fact that most of us are not power users doesn't mean that others are not high level power users. They will use the VST in a DAW plus they appreciate being able to use 64 bit plugins natively.

Biab needs to be able to accommodate all levels of users from basic to studio pros with degrees in music production.

To those who are having issues with the VST in a DAW part, this is brand new. We know it does work and it's better in some DAW's than others right now. Give it a little time, I'm amazed they got this far with it.

Bob

Im no power user.I just use it like its my own personal Band and I dont have to buy the drinks.I took this up two yrs ago and its let me make backing tracks for the stuff I sing in the way that I want it to be and have more or less ditched commecially made bTs.I found some ideas I have shall we say Challenging but the posters on here have so much knowhow that Ive usually got it done.Im immensely grateful for the advise.
Iwonder though if creating NEW styles in MIDI have been abandoned now.Sure there are about 2000 already maybe more but it seems to be all aimed at RTs which I adore. But I just wondered is all.
Wendy

Last edited by WendyM; 12/03/18 11:53 AM.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
They definitely haven't abandoned MIDI as there's a ton of new MIDI stuff in 2019. I don't use it very much since most of the stuff I do is with RT but I have used it a few times like when I'm needing a piano part and the RT is stretched to the limit (no pun intended) and it's giving me artifacts. I can usually find a good MIDI piano and use it.

Veteran
Veteran
I remember when BiaB was 8 bit MS-DOS. I suppose if you had a dinosaur computer you could still use the DOS version, but personally, I wouldn't.

Sooner or later there will be 128 bit computers out there and sooner or later BiaB will go there.

You may not need 64 now, but sooner or later you will want it.

Kudos to PG Music for the giant step forward, even though I am deeply steeped in MIDI. In the future, audio will rival the editing features that MIDI offers today, and when that day comes, I may abandon MIDI.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191