You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#507062 - 12/06/18 05:30 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy
Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Hi,

I know there are a lot of Windows experts here so I'll try this before I register on another forum (windows help). I have registered on so many one-time forums to solve one problem that my password manager app is so big it's hard to find things on it without extensive scrolling.

OK, on with the problem.

I bought a new ThinkPad computer and want to install Microsoft's SyncToy on it. SyncToy syncs the files on my local hard drive to an external drive so that I always have a backup copy.

So I d/l the latest SyncToy, double-click the exe, installation starts, and then gets interrupted telling me I need to install Net Framework 2.0.50727 and asks if I want to install it now.

I click "yes" it leads me to a page where I can install it, and it tells me that Net Framework is already installed on this computer.

I have no idea how to handle this, it seems to have put me in a loop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#507102 - 12/06/18 07:47 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: West coast
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: West coast
Notes....

I'm just shooting from the hip here.

If it were me based on your comments above:
1) make sure Sync Toy is Uninstalled completely....reboot.
2) After reboot...click on Windows Update and let it do it's thing to make sure you're current with Windows Updates...reboot it necessary.
3) After reboot....disable any anti-virus programs running in the background.
4) Now try to install your new app.
5) If it goes well, reboot to be sure it installed properly and to re-engage your anti virus programs and start afresh.

Again...just a protocol I've come to adhere to by default when it comes to installing new apps....some can be quite finicky as we all know.
Hopefully others will have some ideas too.

Carry on....I need more coffee.

No guarantee I'm correct but it's still a good starting point.
Hope all goes well....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?78446-chulaivet1966

#507131 - 12/06/18 09:25 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I concur with the advice just given.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#507171 - 12/06/18 11:17 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Online   content
Expert

Everything above looks good. Sync Toy should know what's installed if all of your Windows Updates are caught up.

You can go to Programs and Features and see what version of NET Framework is currently installed and see if that differs from the Sync Toy pop-up.

You may need to uninstall which ever version of NET Framework is on your machine and hit Windows Update again after.

FWIW, I don't seem to have a version of NET Framework in my Programs and Features. It may be integrated into the OS nowadays, I'm really not sure.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#507220 - 12/06/18 01:49 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks chulaivet1966, Matt, and Steve.

SyncToy was never installed on this computer, so it wasn't possible to uninstall. But that is a time tested way of fixing stubborn problems.

.NET framework can no longer be uninstalled without making a lot of changes in the registry (or so I read), something I'm reluctant to do.

I'm continuing the searching other forums without having to register. I dislike having to register to fix one problem, never needing to go back again, and having my identity there forever. This does 2 things, makes my password manager list way to long, hiding the things I use often, and leaves my digital fingerprint on that site available for crackers (nefarious hackers).

So while googling other forums (actually I use Startpage.com because it doesn't track me) I found this gem:

1) Control panel
2) Programs and features (been there many times for this problem)
3) Here is where I didn't know to go Turn Windows Features On Or Off - I've never had an occasion to use this before

When I got there, I get the "Do you want to allow Microsoft to make changes" - I replied "yes" and lo and behold, .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services is checked but .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is not.

So I set a system restore point and click the unchecked box, Microsoft says it needs to download some files, which took about 15 minutes, then installed them, and said it was finished.

So I clicked "Close" went back to my SyncToy download and it worked!!!

Thanks again for your generous help and suggestions. I love new computers but setting them up requires more time and patience than I want to give them.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#507260 - 12/06/18 05:03 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
sslechta Online   content
Expert

So that's what happened to .NET. Thanks! You taught me something. Glad you got it fixed!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#507375 - 12/07/18 05:21 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks.

I learned something myself.

SyncToy worked perfectly last night.

I put it in the 'echo' mode, leave the external drive off all day, and before shutting the computer down at night run both a back-up and a sync toy.

Why both?

Backup (disk image) works great for restoring things lost.

If I screw up a single file, or accidentally delete something, I can turn on the external drive, and with SyncToy the old version is just a drag and drop away.

And it doesn't hurt to have 2 backup copies of my data.

Insights and incites by Notes

Edited by Notes Norton (12/07/18 05:28 AM)

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28427 Members
58 Forums
55199 Topics
459634 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Justin P, thierry.inconnu, drolander, richardskelt, bennyrodrigues

28427 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 338
Pipeline 310