Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#507583 12/07/18 05:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Bitter Taste Of Red

Beginning 20 years ago with a something a friend said about her childhood and since then going in different directions with how to write a song about family violence, I`m almost sure this is captures the feeling I had at the time.
Listens appreciated and comments welcome.

Style is _MILESIX.STY (Mile Six Slow Even-16 Americana)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 2878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 1596:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealTracks in song RT3058 Acoustic guitar
RealDrums in style: AmericanaRoots16th^01-a:Toms, b:Snare

The Bitter Taste Of Red

can you live another life
erase the senses of the heart
make a blessing from a curse
change the arc of a star

all the rainbow ribbons
momma fastened through her hair
Jenny keeps with daddy`s laugh
like braids through despair
still feels her friend`s eyes
they never lingered or traced
eyes that saw past
the mark upon her face

the cool touch of blue
cool touch of blue
that`s how she learnt
the cool touch of blue

fell into a fire
when she was born into this world
Jenny turned herself to water
like a helpful little girl
one spark in the silence
between a woman and a man
picked up her bucket
into the flames she ran

the bitter taste of red
bitter taste of red
that`s how she learnt
the bitter taste of red

heaven swirled with hell
by strangers she was raised
I`m from a nuclear family
Jenny said but she kept safe
all the rainbow ribbons
momma fastened through her hair
with daddy`s laugh in a treasure box
called can`t go back there

the healing sound of time
healing sound of time
that`s how she learnt
the healing sound of time

the bitter taste of red
bitter taste of red
that`s how she learnt
the bitter taste of red

© Robert Cordrey Oct. 2018

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song Robert. Such a sad story. You vocal was just perfect for the song. Excellent choice of instruments for the song. Production was first class. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a powerful song! So well written ... you are a true wordsmith, Robert.

Great melody, and possibly your best vocal to date, love the harmonies!

My new favorite song from you, well done!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

A very powerful, emotion-packed song.

The change at each chorus is exceptional.

Awesome use of the BIAB Americana instruments.

Very well done.

fj

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
That's a hard subject to write about but you've done it nicely. Love the harmonies. Sounds very lonesome.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert,

This is a great folk song... I love the storytelling and delivery. The mix and instrumentation is perfect and the build towards the middle with the whole band is really special - drives it home.

Very much enjoyed and going back for another listen.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, you are really in shape here!
Mysterious, dynamic, creative and a distinct Neil Young, Roy Orbison feel to it.

GREAT WORK!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Very nice, beautiful and sad song. I like your voice which compliment the lyrics perfectly.
Very well done!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The double vocal of the 1st stanza was off putting but that worry dissipated a few seconds later when the verse began.
The harmony vocal in the chorus is more subtle, more accurately matched as a double and more controlled.
A very really good essay of a difficult subject.
Terrific stuff.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave,
That`s very supportive- sometimes sitting on things you`ve written and put down unfinished many times you wonder if the plot`s been lost.
I`m so glad you liked this one... and really I only got into writing lyrics because I knew I`d never be the guitarist I heard in my head!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song Robert. Such a sad story. You vocal was just perfect for the song. Excellent choice of instruments for the song. Production was first class. Well done

Thank you, Scott...the next one has to go somewhere more fun!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

A very powerful, emotion-packed song.

The change at each chorus is exceptional.

Awesome use of the BIAB Americana instruments.

Very well done.

fj

Thanks for the positives.I do like the feeling of those Americana tracks.

Robert

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, "Robertkc"...

Once again, in my experience of listening to your songs, you write some damn-near pure poetry that alternately reveals and obscures its meanings like a badly injured memory that loses, and then finds, finds and loses little bits and pieces of scenes from fateful experiences that it doesn't want to remember.

"The Bitter Taste of Red" is impressionistic in its impact, helped along by a musical arrangement that's so intimate and stripped-down that what's left is powerful precisely because of its austerity.

This is a very arresting production, lyrically and musically.

Meditating on it,

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert

Beautifully and sensitively done. A fine vocal, strong and poetic lyrics and a nice choice of band.
Really very impressive.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Robert,

Beautiful, poignant and poetic, both musically and lyrically.

I really enjoyed this.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Dark but beautiful...

Shades of Simon and Garfunkel... Nicely done!

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Robert that was fantastic! What a lyric to go with the PERFECT music bed! One of your best IMHO! Thanks, T

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
That's a hard subject to write about but you've done it nicely. Love the harmonies. Sounds very lonesome.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

This is a great folk song... I love the storytelling and delivery. The mix and instrumentation is perfect and the build towards the middle with the whole band is really special - drives it home.

Very much enjoyed and going back for another listen.

Bob

Bob,
Its good to hear I got that arrangement right- listening to your productions might be having an influence! Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow, you are really in shape here!
Mysterious, dynamic, creative and a distinct Neil Young, Roy Orbison feel to it.

GREAT WORK!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob & Anne-Marie,
That`s a great endorsement - I`m glad you enjoyed this.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Very nice, beautiful and sad song. I like your voice which compliment the lyrics perfectly.
Very well done!

Thanks for sharing!
Will

Will,
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The double vocal of the 1st stanza was off putting but that worry dissipated a few seconds later when the verse began.
The harmony vocal in the chorus is more subtle, more accurately matched as a double and more controlled.
A very really good essay of a difficult subject.
Terrific stuff.

I knew that choice to make the harmony vocal the lead for the opening might not work for all tastes - I like the way it begins the song with a vulnerable feel ( the child`s voice), but I`ll probably revisit the balance later.
Good and helpful comments - thank you!

Robert

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Very powerful Robert!! Very dark! Music creates the perfect mood. Good arrangement and vocal. Well done!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Excellent song Robert. I figured to myself a final as Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arm" and a more long fading out ending.

Surely one of your best.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim
Dark but beautiful...

I think Jim summed it up pretty good with just a few words. I fully agree with the S & G analogy. Excellent work on this. You do these sad folk songs so dang good! Excellent!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, "Robertkc"...

Once again, in my experience of listening to your songs, you write some damn-near pure poetry that alternately reveals and obscures its meanings like a badly injured memory that loses, and then finds, finds and loses little bits and pieces of scenes from fateful experiences that it doesn't want to remember.

"The Bitter Taste of Red" is impressionistic in its impact, helped along by a musical arrangement that's so intimate and stripped-down that what's left is powerful precisely because of its austerity.

This is a very arresting production, lyrically and musically.

Meditating on it,

LOREN

Loren,
How to write a song about family violence avoiding cliche`s and showing rather than telling? It had to be "impressionistic" as you say.
Once again your review is most interesting and supportive because I know you really listened.
Thank you!

Robert

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert

Beautifully and sensitively done. A fine vocal, strong and poetic lyrics and a nice choice of band.
Really very impressive.

Peter

Thank you Peter!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Robert,

Beautiful, poignant and poetic, both musically and lyrically.

I really enjoyed this.

David,
Thanks for your listen and positive comments.

Originally Posted By: Jim
Dark but beautiful...

Thanks for that, Jim

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert that was fantastic! What a lyric to go with the PERFECT music bed! One of your best IMHO! Thanks, T

I`m happy you liked this Torrey!

Robert

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195