Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
M
OP Offline
M
This is kind of a vague question but any sort of advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'm a hobbyist recording musician and I really enjoy the detail work of mixing and post production on my music. I would love to some day be able to do this kind of work for not only myself but maybe other people but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to actually charge for it yet. Other than start offering to do it for free for practice which I want to start doing and continuing to practice with my own music, what else can I do to really start sharpening that skill? Right now I feel like I have a solid comprehension of how to use software like pro tools, cubase, Logic pro etc...but I still struggle making things sound professional. How do I get from where I am to where I would eventually like to be?

Veteran
Veteran
The way to get better is to mix. Everything and anything. To get good, don't just mix your favorite genre.... step out into unfamiliar turf.

Of course, if you rely on just the stuff you write and record, it might take a very long time.

However, there are sites online that have lots of songs in the form of stems. In other words, as individual tracks. You go there, find a project and download the tracks and mix it. Post it up on line for crits and feedback. Also.... of course, unless it includes PG tracks or other elements, it's kind of sketchy about posting it here. If you use a DAW, there's often a forum site for that DAW where you can post songs and projects for feedback. I used the Cakewalk Songs forum for that very purpose. There;s often a small cadre of highly skilled folks with good ears that can review your work and give you positive direction.

Use Google or your favorite search engine to get the names of the sites.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice from Herb above.

I'll add a few ideas.

First, what you have are listed are recording and mixing tools (your DAW software). You didn't mention effects in the DAW, nor did you mention any software you may have to master. To make things "sound professional" you'll need to acquire and learn both. For example, WAVES or Izotope (Ozone) can help to make a final mix sound more polished. CD Architect can help to compare one song's sound to the next.

You should also get a commercial recording you really like of each genre you work in, and use that as the comparison for your mixes. It can be a great learning experience (and humbling) when you do A-B comparisons of your mix to that of a pro.

Learn your particular monitors, and your room, for how they color the sound. And don't forget to test your mixes on every device you can think of: boombox, iPad earbuds, car etc. plus good headphones (for stereo separation and possible phase cancellation).

Take a read through the free guide on the Izotope site about mastering.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
IMHO to get good mixing and mastering you must start with good tracks. Your so-so track could mess up your mixing and mastering times as you try to correct the problem at the wrong places. Correct the problem at the source, i.e. the individual track.

Also subscribe to The Recording Revolution

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

Graham offers great free advice on everything recording from effects, polishing tracks and mixes, etc. This is one free source that is a must have IMHO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Listen and critically deconstruct some songs you are familiar with. Do that before you mix another song. Try to recreate it. Probably 75 % of mixing is actually arranging. Start simple.

Journeyman
Journeyman
All good advice above.

I would say the 3 most important aspects of mixing are panning, levels and using FX sends. If you can get a good grasp on these you should hear a major improvement in your mixing.

I would add watch/read anything you can find on mixing and mastering. You may find contradicting info in different places but if it seems like it could be useful give it a try. You have to find what works best for you.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
I think there are 3 approaches:

1) Sound "like" somebody... by trying to imitate overall feel. Which is standard among many recording musicians.
2) Try to find "your" sound which is fairly hard... to find something original and tasteful. Sort of a "goal" to reach.
3) Experiment. I think this is the most enjoyable one, as you are not "bound" to idea of sounding certain way.

...Listen to the mix on common medium. A car, cheap speakers, headphones, to get different perspectives on same mix. (Car works very well smile )

P.S. I had a few people on this forum that guided me through some things.
The 2 most valuable lessons for me was: panning some instruments to L/R and avoid frequency clashes. There is a tool by Izotope called Tonal Control, which helped me a lot to get mixes under control. Still have a loooong way to go. Fun part is learning smile

Veteran
Veteran
Matt mentioned using a reference song and IMO that is critical. A reference song of the same genre, instrumentation, volume, etc. of the project you are working on is invaluable and even more so if you are very familiar with the song.

Ozone has a feature that will attempt to master your song to match the reference assuming, of course, that you have a good mix and that the songs are very similar.

I think mixing and mastering are a mashup up of art and science.

There are many conventions but few absolutes.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
IMHO to get good mixing and mastering you must start with good tracks. Your so-so track could mess up your mixing and mastering times as you try to correct the problem at the wrong places. Correct the problem at the source, i.e. the individual track.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. THIS is absolutely true. No amount of EQ and compression will fix a badly recorded track. AND....Be sure to tune your guitar.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: MarioD

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. THIS is absolutely true. No amount of EQ and compression will fix a badly recorded track. AND....Be sure to tune your guitar.

Tune a guitar? How do you do that? wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
I play banjo. They are always somewhat out of tune. :-)

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
I will try and give the Cliff notes version of what is essentially a 900 page book to answer this question. Some of it is complementary to what has been said.

The "Holy Grail" concept in mixing is to understand and master the EQ nuances and behaviors of every instrument you plan to use. There are shortcuts. For example, you can buy the "CLA" pack from Waves which has plugin-ins and presets for most instruments. And/or you can buy Neutron Elements from Izotope which will analyze your tracks and make EQ suggestions and give you presets. Neutron is good for toning and shaping, but to get the beef, you need plugins like you will find in the CLA collection to amp it up, compress, add echo, reverb, etc. Not selling CLA by Waves but you can google it and see what is in the package and read about all the plugins. That will educate you on what instrument-specific plugins will do, including those for vocals.

The point is you could spend a month on each instrument just figuring out what gear and presets you need and what you need to buy to get a great sound out of:

1. Drums
2. Bass
3. Acoustic Guitars
4. Electrics
5. Brass
6. Strings
7. Wind Instruments

All of these require VERY unique EQ'ing skills that you must master. Think of it this way: you have to master the EQ-ing of these instruments just as well as the musician has mastered playing them or your mix will sound like mud.

This will take years. But here is what I would do. I would start with this forum (if you are using PG Music products) and pick one month to focus on say, acoustic guitars.

Research the art of EQ-ing an acoustic in a mix. See what you have in your pantry. Add what you don't have. You may find that it is easier to spend $69 on a one-stop CLA package than hunt forever and buy 500 VSTs. (Like I am one to talk.)

Anyway, after you think you have a good acoustic sound, put the song out here for a listen and ask for suggestions specific to the the acoustic. Let people be blunt. Take all you have learned and keep working until you are an acoustic Eqing genius.

Then move on to another instrument. Plan to spend a year mastering the art of getting a good sound out of each one.

The rest is easy.

Drums are usually loudest, bass hugs the drum line, other instruments panned and slightly down, vocals about 1 to 1.5 dBs over top of the bed. DO NOT rely on speakers. Learn to trust your RMS and loudness meters. Your ears will be shot after an hour of mixing but meters always know what's going on.

When it is done, however, put on a good set of headphones and trust your EARS for the final tweaks. When it sounds like butter and honey you are done. When you have a great mix you will know it.

Leave yourself plenty of headroom, and polish it off with a mastering plugin like Ozone on the gentler settings.

Again, this takes several hours of study a day for about a year and a LOT of research.

But there are lots of folks here who know what they are doing who can help you out.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I still say most of mixing starts with the arrangement.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's an old thread I started 2 years ago on critically listening to a known song, and making extensive notes on arrangement and production (and ultimately mixing).

This underlines my point about 'getting good at mixing' first involves understanding of arrangement. All points about making good track recordings above do still apply, but unless you can arrange the mix, you will likely not end up with professional sounding recordings.

It's Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'"

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=53620&Number=373938#Post373938

Veteran
Veteran
Rock Star,

This is a very good spreadsheet, and I saved it when you first sent it out. Really good.

In the 900 page book I was speaking of, this might fall under a chapter on "arrangement."

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments.

Narrowing things down to the "how do we take what we have arranged and make it sound (sonically) better" I think it is important to master the Eq-ing skills required of every instrument, because the skills (and tools) can be so vastly different.

There are so many things involved in mixing it is hard to answer the original question succinctly. It is kind of like asking: how do you build a house.

However, one common denominator of bad sounding mixes I have noticed is that the individual instruments are Eq-ed poorly. Attention may have been paid to the levels and panning and so forth, but not the SOUND of the instruments. Properly Eq-ed individual instruments = professional dynamic range specs for the final mix which makes it possible to master. If you do not take these steps your final mix cannot be mastered. There will be no hope.

A bad acoustic guitar EQ for example, will make me turn off a song in 2 seconds. I can't listen.

YMMV.

Veteran
Veteran
For mastering..... Buy Ozone.

Problem solved.

You still need to learn to mix the tracks but that's probably the easier part of answering your question.

www.herbhartley.com

Expert
Expert
I like Ozone for mastering and Neutron for getting tracks ready. Then for a rough guide the Visual Mixer that comes with Neutron Standard or Advanced which I use as the first plugin in the mastering chain. But as David gets to it all starts with the arrangement and recorded tracks. That comes from the writing and overall thought.

I guess to get a really good mastered track every step from the initial thought of a song needs to be as good as you can get it. Then at some point one has to say “yep that’s good, I’ll put it away now” that is the hardest part.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Correct the problem at the source, i.e. the individual track.
No amount of EQ and compression will fix a badly recorded track. AND....Be sure to tune your guitar.

Speaking of which, I came across this recently. I always liked Joe Walsh's music, but never realized he had such a heart. Here's Joe on setting up the Gibson Les Paul.

Joe Walsh Tutorial on Guitar Setup

Last edited by edshaw; 12/13/18 01:20 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Journeyman
Journeyman
A lot of great thoughts here. David, you said to make sure the drums are the loudest thing in the mix. Do you think it has always been that way or do you say that because it's the current style for radio-ready?

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
For jazz, I sure wouldn't make drums the loudest thing. But I do start mixes with drums, then bass. Get those right then add other instruments.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,506
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195