Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: silvertones
I've been saying this for years. You already made your song in BIAB right?
Use the command to save all tracks to individual .wav files. Open the folder and drag each file to your DAW. No need to use the BIAB VSTi. I can do this much faster.

I agree it is much faster to just use BIAB instead of this new VST. I had hoped the VST would be an improvement over what we already had but it appears to be literally one step forward (VST with multiriffs) and two steps back (very slow and missing lots of BIAB features)! And given that PG himself says everyone is happy with it including him, I guess they don't have any real plans to finish it.

Oh well, another year of "exciting new features" I won't use. Back to 32-bit BIAB and exporting WAVs.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/15/18 08:22 AM.
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
With any luck, they will evolve this into a real VSTi

Veteran
Veteran
A couple things that may be not helping.
1. BIAB is not an effect aka VST
2. BIAB is not a synth aka VSTi
3. BIAB was at one time 16bit and I believe a little cheating, for lack of the right word,was used to make it 32bit. A helper file. Now trying to tweak it up from that to 64 bit might be a bit dicey.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
To elaborate:
1 &2 above we're compliments. PG is outside the box here. The hole program is outside the box. There are 100s of DAW but only 1 BIAB/RB.Be patient. These are great folk.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

At the moment it serves no purpose loading the BiabVST into a DAW as there is no audio or synced playback that's why I mention SaviHost

I wanted to thank Pipeline for his post on using SAVIHost along with Reaper. This is what has made me decide to keep the 2019 upgrade (the BIABVSTi is the only reason I was interested in the upgrade).

As there is nearly zero communications between a DAW and BIABVSTi (as there would be with a real VSTi), SAVIHost provides the Drag and Drop mechanism, without the need to monkey around with Buffer Size and Audio Driver protocol within Reaper (64spls @48K for me). I can also click on a YouTube video or listen to a streaming channel all while the above remains active and not having to adjust anything.

Being able to use my VST guitar chain in real time within Reaper, without the huge, added latency of running the BIABVSTi inside of Reaper, was the missing link for me. If I need to actually record the guitar track into Reaper, I can just Drag/Drop the BIAB tracks from SAVIHost first and push Record.

A MASTER OUT LEVEL control, LOOP function and ability to SAVE AS the Current Song with the Generated Tracks needs to be addressed by the developer.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/16/18 05:53 AM.
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
A couple things that may be not helping.
1. BIAB is not an effect aka VST
2. BIAB is not a synth aka VSTi
3. BIAB was at one time 16bit and I believe a little cheating, for lack of the right word,was used to make it 32bit. A helper file. Now trying to tweak it up from that to 64 bit might be a bit dicey.

To elaborate:
1 &2 above we're compliments. PG is outside the box here. The hole program is outside the box. There are 100s of DAW but only 1 BIAB/RB.Be patient. These are great folk.

Wondering if you can explain how 1 and 2 are compliments? If I buy an advertised electric guitar that ends up being shipped without pickups, I wouldn't call this "thinking outside the box". A VST and a VSTi are what they are.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/16/18 06:05 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gwp99
@J3

I was finally able to get the VSTi to run in Reaper after the 606 update...

Run Reaper
Change from my RME ASIO driver to DirectSound driver (written for Windows 95 through Windows XP)
Load BIAB VSTi
Change audio driver back to ASIO
Change Buffer Size to 1024
Set Windows driver output to send to my RME interface (for playback of the DEMO and Generated Tracks within the plugin)
Choose a Style
Generate a Style, which takes about 30 sec.

SIMPLE, RIGHT?

That is about the last thing I would want to include in my recording workflow. Reaper has been flawless for me. Drop and Drag from BIAB has been acceptable. Having to mess with driver configurations is a receipt for disaster. Still hoping for a better resolution to this whole thing.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
If you haven't already, give Pipeline's SAVIHost suggestion (link in the above post) a try - it does allow for no buffer/device changing and allows you to keep your existing DAW latency intact.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/16/18 07:25 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
First I said the plug was impressive and worked well in Sonar 8.5
Second I said I could do it faster the old way. That's just me.
Third My understanding of the VST/VSTi Spec is that BIAB is not truly either of these. Thus outside the box.
I've been with PGMusic for many, many years. My hole musical career is centered around these products.There is no other like it.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
I have had problems with the VSTi. It will open and work in Studio One Pro 4 for one time. If I close the VSTi project, start another project and try to use it again my system freezes. Sometimes it takes out alt-control-delete and maybe my Roland Octa-Capture. It I delete the VSTi in the original project, start a new one and insert the VSTi it crashes just like before. Thus it is useless for me and I deleted it. After a crash and I restart the computer adding it will crash the system again. That is not a problem because I will use BiaB as I always have. It is much easier and faster that way.

Another thing is when I drag n dropped the VSTi master it moved all the tracks OK but they were in Wav form and I work in MIDI. I had to move each MIDI track separately.

I do hope they get this working correctly on all systems as I can see some benefits for using it in both RTs and MIDI.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Third My understanding of the VST/VSTi Spec is that BIAB is not truly either of these. Thus outside the box.
I've been with PGMusic for many, many years. My hole musical career is centered around these products.There is no other like it.

I agree that BIAB is a great product and different from any other product. I have 2016 and do use it as backing tracks for practicing - but one of the main ADVERTISED selling features of BIAB 2019 is the VSTi.

This is not a VSTi - it is a wrapper with zero communication with the DAW. Communication with the DAW is the defining feature of a VST. I ordered it based on the fact it had a VSTi, which would make integration with my DAW very convenient.

I have decided to keep it because of the SAVIHost integration and I have hope they will move towards producing a low latency VSTi in the near future. If not, the SAVIHost option will work for me for now.

I am disappointed because of this and because I spent way too many hours getting to this point.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/16/18 09:18 AM.
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Another thing is when I drag n dropped the VSTi master it moved all the tracks OK but they were in Wav form and I work in MIDI. I had to move each MIDI track separately.

Yes, another another annoying "feature".

A
A_R Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
To elaborate:
The main selling point of this upgrade for me was the ability to interactively use BIAB in Studio One, and it does not even come close to delivering that, sure there are a few RealTracks that I like and a couple of styles I like too, but most of the content is just filler, in its current state there is not enough to justify an upgrade, and what adds insult to injury is some of the better Realtracks and Styles are now being placed into Bonus PAKs to squeeze out an extra $49 for the upgrade. I can easily go back to version, version 2018 2017, 0r 2016 and wouldn't miss anything or than the additional bugs to contend with.

B
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
B
I have never had any crashes before in Studio One Pro 4, but this plugin has locked my system up so tight I had to turn off the computer. It does not do it every time but I have had so many problems with it I quit using it. I was hoping this plugin would be sort of like my Toontrack EZ Keys or EZ Drummer which work flawless on my system and is so easy to create music.
I do like the fact they are heading in this direction but for right now it just is not ready for prime time. I am sure they will work it all out and hope they expand on a lot of the suggestions that have already been listed.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J

Well congrats! Obviously lots of people are not having the same experience as you. I suspect you may not have put it through its paces as thoroughly or you'd see some of the same issues being reported because PGM is working on fixes currently! The problems are real!

Quote:

No, it is not just you. In its current shape no one, not even PG himself, could create a typical song in the VST and get it into the DAW as fast as they could do simply using BIAB and drag/drop!

Quote:

The phrase "think outside the box" usually refers to something new and unique and better than conventional solutions. I've never heard it applied to a buggy piece of software!

Quote:

I'm not sure why some PGM customers always feel like they must defend PGM any time a paying customer has the unmitigated audacity to report or even complain about bugs in the product? Yes, I love BIAB too! It is amazing! The new VST? Not so much!

C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I'm not sure why some PGM customers always feel like they must defend PGM any time a paying customer has the unmitigated audacity to report or even complain about bugs in the product?

It used to be worst! crazy

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Cerio

It used to be worst! crazy

It's hard to defend BiaB 2019.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That's part of the problem, new users come, speak the truth but are jumped on never to return, being blindly loyal don't work, if you love the end result of BB RB as I do and many others you need to be honest and give constructive criticism where problems are, Oliver Twist was the only one game enough to stand up and say "Please Sir can I have some more",
PG as Basil below doesn't receive any constructive criticism from the regular loyal customers, so Basil thinks everything is fine:
Quote:
Most, including me, are happy with how everything works now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_uDB-0iBR8

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
The plug-in doesn't work here either and yet again I fell for the promotion of it as being a major new feature.

It ain't it's a half-baked mess made worse by the fact you don't know which (32 or 64 bit) version you are running, sure you can setup a shortcut for the 64 bit version and open it that way, but as soon as you double click a biab song the 32 bit version will dutifully open.

So then you run into problems with the plug-in so you start to wonder is it because the wrong version is running in the background to power the plug-in.

OOBE man it's a headache.

I have a nice Roland Quad Capture interface which seems to be bullet-proof as far as any other app I've used with it goes, yet it doesn't even work in BIAB unless it is in MME mode using the Microsoft Sound Mapper, go figure.

None of which directly relates to the plugin but provides a backdrop of chaos when trying to troubleshoot problems with it.

So far I've tried using both my onboard sound device and the Roland to no avail (with either anything other than the MME option nor the plugin.

The plugin itself does appear (although not always) in Reason 10 and Studio One 4,and I can load and save songs as expected, I can listen to style demo's, however it won't generate anything for toffee. The progress bar starts to move and craps out after a few seconds on both DAW's with both audio solutions I've tried.

I expect the fix to arrive as swiftly as the BIAB archaic Windows "Multi Media Extensions" and fixed sample rate of 44,100 khz format issue has been resolved. A silent audio program is as worthwhile as a chocolate teapot.

I've given up and found a nice place to rant instead. Thanks for letting me offload.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
That's part of the problem, new users come, speak the truth but are jumped on never to return, being blindly loyal don't work, if you love the end result of BB RB as I do and many others you need to be honest and give constructive criticism where problems are, Oliver Twist was the only one game enough to stand up and say "Please Sir can I have some more",
PG as Basil below doesn't receive any constructive criticism from the regular loyal customers, so Basil thinks everything is fine:
Quote:
Most, including me, are happy with how everything works now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_uDB-0iBR8

I'm afraid you have hit the nail squarely on the head!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,736
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191