Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
bloos66 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi,

I run Windows10 (all updated) and am not able to associate the SGU files with BIAB64, it doesn't even come up as an available application. If I locate the exe file in the BIAB folder, it doesn't work, the Windows service called 'Pick an application' in Task Manager hangs.

Is this a known issues, is it particular to my computer, and/or is there a fix?

BIAB32 works fine, and I can simply keep using that. Still, it'd be nice to run the 64bit version.

Thanks, Paul

Expert
Expert
Try a right click on the SGU or other BB file then “open with” look for the BBW64 in the BB folder and tick the box always open with. (That’s how I got it. Did the same with other BB file types)

(Edit) Forget that it does not keep the setting. Windows even shows the BBW64 option but does not take

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/14/18 09:46 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
If SGU/MGU files are associated with BBW.EXE (i.e 32-bit BIAB), this will need to be released before associating the file extension with BIAB64.EXE.

To do this, open BIAB 32-bit and follow the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

When that's done, exit BIAB and now open BIAB64 and follow image except this time choosing to add the associate rather than remove it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
setting file extension association.JPG (67.22 KB, 172 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Thanks Noel, I also had to run the 64bit as admin. Then I avoided a windows error.

Works fine now.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
bloos66 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Tony and Noel,

Thanks for all your help, but none of that worked for me.

Using the File Utility functions, BIAB recognised that the associations had been removed, but Explorer didn't. Whatever I did in both the 32bit and 64bit apps (removing and adding associations), running both as Admin, Explorer still opened every SGU file in BIAB 32bit.

Even after removing the associations, Explorer still showed them as existing and the files opened just fine. Shutting down Explorer and opening it up didn't make a difference.

Cheers, Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Paul, are you on the latest build of BIAB? I did see this in late testing but I thought it was fixed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
bloos66 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Matt,

yes, latest version - 606.

Latest news - it's working, but not from within BIAB. Interestingly, after doing the linking/unlinking from within BIAB 32 and 64, BIAB64 now appears as a valid option in Explorer, and associating SGU files with BIAB64 in Explorer itself now works.

Thanks so much for all your help, I got it to work..

Now I only need to get the 32bit DX plug-ins working in 64bit, or wait until they are released.

Cheers, Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Paul,

I have Windows 7 and to manually set the open MGU and SGU to BBW64.EXE, I have to do the following. This process might be something similar for you.

1. Start Control Panel.

2. Select "Default Programs".

3. Select "Associate a file type of protocol with a program".

4. Scroll through the list and find .MGU (ignore all the other MG? files associated with Band In A Box -- these are older file-types that are rarely used today). (See image #1.)

5. Select "Change program" (#2 on image).

6. Navigate to \bb and select bbw64.exe.

7. OK

8. Now find .SGU and repeat the above.

9. Close.

The file-types MGU and SGU are now associated with BBW64.EXE (i.e. the 64-bit BIAB).

Regards,
Noel

Update: I see you got it working while I was typing the above. I'll leave this post up in case it's useful to someone in the future.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Last edited by Noel96; 12/15/18 06:31 PM. Reason: added update

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
On my system, I can associate the files and double clicking the icon will open BIAB but BIAB does not load the SGU file. This seems to be connected to a lag in the information loading with the song section of the Main Screen including the title, Style, number of Chorus's, tempo and Key Signature.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

If you have BIAB open and then double-click on the file, does the file open in BIAB?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Charlie,

If you have BIAB open and then double-click on the file, does the file open in BIAB?

Regards,
Noel

No. A second session of BIAB opens but it doesn't open the SGU file. I have two blank BIAB sessions.

I have MGU and SGU files associated with 32 bit so it doesn't recognize if the 64 bit version is open either.

I have both versions set to run as Administrator and running the very latest update.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie,

What about when you turn off allowing multiple instances of BIAB? Does that make any difference?

Also, have you checked the file associations manually using the method I outline a couple of posts up (#509923)? File associations can only work with a single program at a time.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

What about when you turn off allowing multiple instances of BIAB? Does that make any difference?

No. It does not make a difference.

Also, have you checked the file associations manually using the method I outline a couple of posts up (#509923)? File associations can only work with a single program at a time.

Yes. That post is what prompted me to comment about my situation. I may have muddied the waters a bit because my situation is quite different from the original poster's problem. In my case, the association is properly recognized and the correct program opens, (version 32 bit which is what I want at this time) but once BIAB is open, the SGU file I selected to open doesn't. I have a new blank session of BIAB. At that point, I can select and open the desired SGU file normally.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/17/18 10:20 AM.

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I had the same problem, I decided I didn't need the choice of 64 bit and 32 bit installed at the same time.

My solution then was to rename bbw.exe to bbw32.exe for safe-keeping, copied a version of bbw64.exe to the desktop, renamed it bbw.exe and moved it back into the bb folder.

Since then a double click on any biab file does the trick. Saves specifically opening the 64bit version before opening the required file.

The caveat to that is if you update or re-install the now 64 bit bbw.exe will be overwritten with the 32 bit version again.

Last edited by Jonbouy; 12/18/18 04:14 AM.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Thanks Jonbouy. I thought the issue is likely related to the similarities of the two versions. Over the years I've been using BIAB, one of the updates corrects the issue and the association works normally from that point on. It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience at the moment so I'll probably just bide my time. It's good to know the problem isn't isolated to my system.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey Jonbouy,

You certainly do not want to rename .EXE files, this is a quick way to break an application smile

For anyone having the File Association issue, or not having a Desktop icon for both the 32 and 64bit version, this can be resolved by upgrading to the latest build.

Currently, the latest build is 614:

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#614

If you are still having issues, always feel free to hop on chat or give us a ring at Support.

C-sharp when you cross the street… or you’re going to B-flat.

Mikke - PG Music
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music
Hey Jonbouy,

You certainly do not want to rename .EXE files, this is a quick way to break an application smile

Agreed. Unless you are aware of the rammifications of renaming said files of course.

Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music

For anyone having the File Association issue, or not having a Desktop icon for both the 32 and 64bit version, this can be resolved by upgrading to the latest build.

Currently, the latest build is 614:

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#614

If you are still having issues, always feel free to hop on chat or give us a ring at Support.

Indeed that holds true now the installer has matured enough for the file associations to be applied to both 64 and 32 bit installs correctly.

Remember that post was made when it was all very messed up and drastic workarounds had to be performed to get anything going (e.g. double cliicking an SGU would always open the 32 bit version), etc. You will remember all that of course as it was only a few weeks ago.

Also you'll note that I did contact support on several issues and the advise I got was basically to wait a few builds which does seem to be turning out to be a good move.

614 has certainly seen the back of the file association issue being discussed here earlier.

Last edited by Jonbouy; 01/25/19 01:22 PM.
B
B
Glad to find this. This solution worked. (Just upgraded from an older 32-bit version to BIAB 2021, and I was wondering how to change the file associations to the 64-bit version.)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195