Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted By: gwp99
Originally Posted By: Jonbouy
...however it won't generate anything for toffee. The progress bar starts to move and craps out after a few seconds on both DAW's with both audio solutions I've tried.

As a test, try leaving it for up to 10 minutes and see if it finally completes the Generate.

Thanks

I left it overnight and still nothing.

I tried various folder and app permissions as well to no avail. It manages to create empty folders in Drive:\bb\BBPlugin\SavedTracks so I doubt it is to do with file permissions anyhow.

Other steps I've taken include uninstalling AV protection, enabling on board sound, instead of and as well as my Roland interface, re-installing WMP as I usually use MPC-BE as my default player, as well as various other ancillary and futile tweaks.

Unfortunately there are no errors thrown by the plug in the progess bar starts and it says it generating and the progress bar starts to move but after a few seconds it just stops.

I think now it might be broken... smile

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I raised a support ticket as it looks like my particular issues are unique (story of my life, eh!).

G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I wonder if setting bb\bbw4.exe to Run As Administrator would help or does the vst run it in admin mode already ?

Not sure if this was a coincidence, a Win10 issue, a BIAB issue or a Reaper issue, but after I set the bbw4 and the bbw64 exe's to Run As Admin, Reaper was able to load the plugin, as it should.

Prior to that, I was getting the BIABVSTi GUI coming up without the transport BIABVSTi issue

I was able to load a demo song/style from my BIAB-HDD, Generate tracks and save it as a user preset.
Now when I call up my BIAB Project Template in Reaper, the user preset comes up including the generated tracks, all within a matter of seconds and my latency within Reaper does not change (64 spls @ 48K).

I then changed the permissions back by unchecking Run As Admin, and it all worked. Repeated this several times last evening. Had my computer off over-night and when I fired it up this morning, it all worked!

I no longer need to use SAVIHost.

So thanks to Pipeline for suggesting the Run As Admin step. In the end, this is what got things working for me in Reaper.

I did not change anything else in my system, including updates nor did I disable my AV.

It also may have had something to do with the fact that I kept BIAB 2016 installed with it's library on an internal drive "G drive". The 2019 BIAB is being run off the BIAB-HDD library.

Prior to this, it seemed like each time I loaded the BIABVSTi in Reaper, I had to set the Preferences to the "R drive". That is no longer the case - the Preferences now shows the correct R drive path.

The Drag/Drop into separate tracks took only seconds.

And because my latency didn't change using the current method the BIABVSTi uses, I am very happy with the way things are now running.

It took awhile, but it was worth it.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=510519#Post510519

Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>> OK, I'll accept that but what exactly does it do for us that simply using D&D doesn't?

- You are working in your DAW, not in two programs at a time.

- The chords you type in your song are saved and opened with your DAW project, not in a separate BB file. If you send a DAW project to your friend, he gets the chords and setup for BiaB as well.

- Settings from the DAW are read in to the plugin. Currently it is just tempo, but we will add more as time goes on. When we add the vst3 version (very soon, in a patch release), it can start to add lots more features. There are lots of cool features that vst3 can do, and they are all on our drawing board.

- It is much simpler to use than BiaB. Remember that many people have asked us for a simple version, and many of these are DAW users unfamiliar with BiaB. Remember the posts about "I showed BiaB to my friend, and he said it looked too complicated". So that's a big plus of it as well. When a DAW user sees a similar chord window popup, with a style selection and a Generate button, it shouldn't get the response "this looks too complicated."

- We expect a new version of the plugin to be released here in a free patch that adds a vst3 and fixes any plugin-not-found by DAW issues. That's in pre-release testing now.

Originally Posted By: rap429

Peter,

I agree with all of the above as great benefits of the plugin but my experience is that tempo is not read when used in ableton(maybe better in other DAW's), render times are very slow when loading a previously created BIAB song and even slower when trying to use multi riff. When the chords are typed into the plugin itself performance is much better but still slower than RB. While maybe not during this patch are these items that are being addressed?

Apprentice
Apprentice
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=510519#Post510519

Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>> OK, I'll accept that but what exactly does it do for us that simply using D&D doesn't?

- You are working in your DAW, not in two programs at a time.

- The chords you type in your song are saved and opened with your DAW project, not in a separate BB file. If you send a DAW project to your friend, he gets the chords and setup for BiaB as well.

- Settings from the DAW are read in to the plugin. Currently it is just tempo, but we will add more as time goes on. When we add the vst3 version (very soon, in a patch release), it can start to add lots more features. There are lots of cool features that vst3 can do, and they are all on our drawing board.

- It is much simpler to use than BiaB. Remember that many people have asked us for a simple version, and many of these are DAW users unfamiliar with BiaB. Remember the posts about "I showed BiaB to my friend, and he said it looked too complicated". So that's a big plus of it as well. When a DAW user sees a similar chord window popup, with a style selection and a Generate button, it shouldn't get the response "this looks too complicated."

- We expect a new version of the plugin to be released here in a free patch that adds a vst3 and fixes any plugin-not-found by DAW issues. That's in pre-release testing now.

Originally Posted By: rap429

Peter,

I agree with all of the above as great benefits of the plugin but my experience is that tempo is not read when used in ableton(maybe better in other DAW's), render times are very slow when loading a previously created BIAB song and even slower when trying to use multi riff. When the chords are typed into the plugin itself performance is much better but still slower than RB. While maybe not during this patch are these items that are being addressed?

What was purpose of looking back to same quote as above?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That's from another thread that gives insight here to what PG is NOW planning (due to all our bad feedback) and what still needs fixing (by your post under).
It needs to be as fast as RB in generating.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sorry just so tired out from all all this testing/posting/replying should of made it clearer.
But there should be a 607 update released shortly you can try.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi All,

I was interested in the upgrade because of the VST but after reading about all the problems I'm not sure what I'd be purchasing? The longer you leave it between upgrades, the more it costs. So is it better to purchase now, then purchase the next upgrade, and the next, until the VST is solid? Or, wait until the VST is sorted and then just pay a higher amount in a single payment later?

I must admit, it doesn't feel I'd be getting what the marketing man's promising at the moment. And why the -40% purchase before 2019 incentive for? To compensate for the part of the VST that's missing?

Don't force it, use a bigger hammer..

BIAB 2023 | STEINBERG UR22 | RODE NT1 | GRETSCH G5420T | REAPER DAW
WIN 10 PRO 64-BIT | OFFICE 365 | INTEL CORE I3 3.30GHZ | 12GB RAM | 2 X 2TB HDD
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Wow Pipeline - your BiabVST Chord Picker Tool looks amazing... and I thought you were just a casual BIAB user grin

What a great feature for BiabVST... can't wait to try it out.

G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By: StaffsLebowski
...why the -40% purchase before 2019 incentive for?

I think this is offered every December.

FYI, you have over a week to order with the discount and this includes the 30 day money back guarantee, if you aren't satisfied.

I couldn't get the VSTi to run in Reaper when I first received it, but with the help of Pipeline and a few others on this forum, I am up and running with it. (Much like the Reaper forum members)

Although more features will be added over time, it is a good start for now. And if some of the features you need haven't been ported over yet, you can still use BIAB and export/import tracks as before.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/18/18 01:45 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: StaffsLebowski
..... So is it better to purchase now, then purchase the next upgrade, and the next, until the VST is solid? Or, wait until the VST is sorted and then just pay a higher amount in a single payment later?

Only you can answer that question. If you want the new RTs, MIDI styles, or are interested in BiaB 64 bit then yes upgrade. The plus pak has all of the basic new stuff and the bonus paks have the rest. Its cheaper that way.

I was in you shoes a couple of weeks ago. I finally upgraded with the hopes that the VSTi gets straightened out this year. YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry just so tired out from all all this testing/posting/replying should of made it clearer.
But there should be a 607 update released shortly you can try.

Pipeline,

You have been doing an incredible job! I've been sitting here marvelling at just how much you have been giving people. I don't know how you do it.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
Wow Pipeline - your BiabVST Chord Picker Tool looks amazing... and I thought you were just a casual BIAB user grin

What a great feature for BiabVST... can't wait to try it out.

+1

Coming here to enquire as to what the heck was up with the VST Plugin I ended up getting a far more useful add-on in that Chord Picker.

Thanks Pipeline for the patient help you've been freely giving and this very useful tool.

Expert
Expert
As a long time user, I find this thread depressing. For me BIAB has always been like the latest Ferrari.. with many parts held together by string.
I tried loading Spectrasonics Keyscape as a VST, and found it doesn't work (again), like many of my other VSTs. I wrote to PG and got no reply.
After over a decade of use, I do NOT expect things to work, I still find the whole program obscure and unreliable. At least PG has finally struggled onto the 64 bit about a decade after other DAWS. I never have problems loading VSTs in ANY other program, just this one. I have never succeeded in using my keyboard VST sounds "within" BIAB so that I can actually record as I play along. I find things crash, the set up is obscure and the GUI for VSTs is weird and ad hoc. Tracing MIDI channels though the maze is very tedious and MIDI channel is NOT listed in the mixer, which is basic to any DAW.

My favorites are also continually disappearing (for a decade) for no apparent reason, so I never use these too.

Many of the windows like preferences and midi set up have a Windows 95 feel and are obscure and badly need reorganising

So many things need redesigning. The latest update 625 has fixed a few things, but there are loads more issues that have been around for years

So, all I ever do is load a song and hit play or type in a few chords. Even there, when I loop, it's not visually represented on the chord screen - e have no way of "seeing" the loop. It's just another poorly implemented feature I have got used to.
I skipped 2018, and won't buy 2020 unless there is some big positive changes reported by experienced users.

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
This thread up to your reply was three months old. There has been a huge number of updates since then sorting out many of the 2019 versions teething problems. So if you have been following all the other threads here you should be extremely optimistic about the future of BIAB IMHO. grin

Expert
Expert
ryclark your new here, PG always update frequently, but this does not mean they have addressed the fundamental problems som (only some of which I ,mentioned above.
My favorites have dissapeared again. I am not going to reply again, like many long time users, I just don't think it's worth it

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Not exactly 'new'. I've been around since at least BIAB 2010 and this thread has been particularly about the VST plugin, which has only been in existence this year. So I'm afraid that I don't really understand why you are complaining here not elsewhere? confused

Last edited by ryclark; 03/24/19 03:36 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I looked back through these old post from 5 years back to see if any big changes have happened to the Plugin that users will now use it rather than the usual Biab to DAW method.
With all the current section editing of RealTracks in Biab now, that we can't do in the Plugin, is it really worth it ?
What is the drawcard of the Plugin now if any 5 years on ?

I for one have lost interest in the Plugin and more interested in all the features now in Biab giving more creative control.
Just using Biab with the RewireVST works great and the slaved DAW like Reaper will sync with Biab so no matter what varying tempo map the DAW may have it will sync and the acidized files from Biab with fit the tempo map when dropped into the DAW.

Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
..the VST apparently does not recognize frozen tracks insisting instead that it must generate them. Again, this does not make me happy.

I'll play around with it a little more but at this point it seems fairly useless since I can create my songs in BIAB faster with freeze working and then drag them to my Reaper.

What exactly does this VST bring to the party? Oh yeah, multiriffs which I have not tried yet. But I am not hopeful since it has already been reported here several times that they are very slow to generate.

So, back to my old workflow...

1) BIAB
2) Realband if I need multiriffs
3) Reaper

With any luck, they will evolve this into a real VSTi

Veteran
Veteran
Here is my solution - While old school, this actually works pretty well. grin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-02-27 113658.jpg (119.14 KB, 50 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,099
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185